• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Zero Most boring out of all old-school RE games?

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
I wouldn’t say it’s the most boring, but I do think it has a few issues with continuity, and while I’ve cleared them all up long ago, you really have to think on them to do so, and I prefer explicit explanations. Matching the events of 0 and 1 and Umbrella Chronicles to fit can be done, but it’s a headache.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It can be done if every single person never acted like a human or discussed anything that ever happened to them. lol. The continuity for 0 is the hardest to justify, but I still appreciate the game. It is a gem, but man, why did they do so many things to contradict the original story?

Hardware

I am coming a bit late to the party...anyhow, I recently played the HD REmaster for the first time: I hadn't played the game since 2002 on the GC (I still have it, but I was never lured to put it on again) and I didn't like it very much back then. Almost 20 years later and in its full HD glory (seriously, it looks amazing), I had a better time with it, but, all in all, I still think it's the worst of the classic-style games. The plot is terrible and doesn't make any sense while the gameplay mechanics still felt outdated, mainly because they introduced enemies that hardly fit with fixed cameras and the three-directions aiming system: the Eliminators and the Giant Bat are the prime examples, but the Leechman too clashed with them at times. Also, the minute you get to the training facility, it really feels like a deluxe RE1 mod. I bought it in a bundle with the remastered RE1make (again, never played that version - I still own the original Nintendo release) and RE0 paled next to it pretty much from every point of view save for the graphics: the backgrounds in RE1make HD are not as pristine as in RE0. Some areas actually look pretty bad (the B3F west corridor in the lab is one of those that struck me the most). But, while RE1make still works pretty well, RE0 seems caught in a grey area where they were trying to push the envelope despite the very clear boundaries. They also made it ridiculously hard: at times, it really feels like an exercise in sadism.

Last edited:

RipvanX

I recently replayed this after a few years and it definitely hasen’t been aging well at all. While CVX is also hard for its own reasons, RE0 does a poor job to keep the audience engaged after the train while simultaneously trolling you with that hookshot and broken enemy mechanics. Rebecca was grabbed for like a split second by a zombie and was in orange caution, ridiculous! The gameplay doesn’t feel as smooth either as REmakes and can feel clunky at times.

The story is also a slap to the face and fails to explore more of Bravo team, but hey at least we have singing final fantasy leech man! Not to mention the infamous Birkin lab and magic elevator that make no sense geographically (unless that version of Birkins lab was a prototype to the real one).

I would love a reimagining of this game so it feels more connected to the first game, but that will probably never happen. I do like the ideas introduced in this game but they were held back by poor design choices.

Last edited:

Hardware

I would love a reimagining of this game so it feels more connected to the first game, but that will probably never happen. I do like the ideas introduced in this game but they were held back by poor design choices.
Personally, I don't think there's a way to remake 0 so that it works, especially plot-wise. There was nothing to explore about the Bravo Team. It was a classic b-movie setup: the first team goes in and disappears, so another squad is sent to discover what happened to them. And we did discover it in RE1: they got eaten, save for Rebecca who managed to survive. That's it. IMHO, the only way to make a prequel to RE1 would've been a game about a scientist trying to escape the Umbrella lab after the T-Virus spread (not because of the Queen Leech, of course). Don't know how well it could've worked, but it would've made more sense. Actually, very early on, the two main characters were a pair of punks named Anne and Billy and only later it was decided to make the game about the Bravo team.

Hardware

BTW, in the recently-published book "Itchy, Tasty: A History of Resident Evil" (I did took part to the crowdfunding,, but I was mostly disappointed by it), it is revealed that Mikami always thought RE0 should've never been made: it only happened because Okamoto wanted a BIO game on the N64 so badly. I, for one, agree with him...even though there were so many ways to make another RE game without making a prequel to RE1...another non-numbered sequel like C:V would've worked just fine.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I wouldn't say that it is boring, but it is my least favorite in the Classic line up. I don't mind that RE1 has a prequel, its just that they didn't tell that story very well.

S.T.A.R.S.4892

Resident Evil 0 is one of my favorites of the franchise. Controlling two characters at once made puzzles really engaging, and honestly gave plenty of inventory space. No item boxes was really interesting, because it changed up item management and made you plan things out accordingly. The game added a lot of important lore to the series, and helped flesh out Rebecca more as a character. I really liked the enemies and bosses encountered, and the nods to different games through either visiting areas from them, or speaking about them, made it tie in wonderfully. This game made me want RE2, RE3, and CV remakes on the GameCube akin to it and RE1 (sadly, we never got them, although the recent remakes are fun).

Ikawaru

Resident Evil 0 is one of my favorites of the franchise. Controlling two characters at once made puzzles really engaging, and honestly gave plenty of inventory space. No item boxes was really interesting, because it changed up item management and made you plan things out accordingly. The game added a lot of important lore to the series, and helped flesh out Rebecca more as a character. I really liked the enemies and bosses encountered, and the nods to different games through either visiting areas from them, or speaking about them, made it tie in wonderfully. This game made me want RE2, RE3, and CV remakes on the GameCube akin to it and RE1 (sadly, we never got them, although the recent remakes are fun).

I generally agree with this. After replaying it recently I enjoyed it more now than I did in....2004-5? Been a while, don't remember the date, but I managed to find a playstyle that works for me where's I did not back then, I just kinda tanked through the game thinking how banal the 2 character mechanic was.

I disagree with the lore though, to me factoring 'Zero' as an event before the mansion incident just seems kinda tacked on. I mean I guess the backstory itself isn't bad on its own right but I just think it should not have been implemented the way it was. Perhaps just making Billy Cohen, who is one of my favorite characters in the series, as the lone protagonist and a side event and leaving Rebecca out of the picture completely would have been better, or perhaps using a different character than Rebecca may have worked but all and all I think they should have kept S.T.A.R.S. out of the game.

Murderer Enshrined

Most boring game for me regarding any of the old-school RE games would have to be Survivor

This one

RE_Survivor_front.jpg

I was, like, wow..... really?

I think I left it at a friend's house and never asked for it back

And it wasn't just that it was boring, it was just bad. First person and you can't even see the main character's gun. Just a reticle or cross hairs and I really don't care for that. At least in some of the RE games that are first person I can actually see the gun.

Ridley Lockhart

See - Rebecca is actually one of the protagonists I've never really liked. She's just a bit too cutesy for me. Sorry Story.
I don't dislike Becca but also not a big of hers. She's a welcome addition to the team in my book

Wow...Seems like I'm the odd duck here. Not that that's not normal from my every day life. I will agree with you on one thing bSTAR...The train was unbearably slow. I really WAS like you guys during that whole fiasco. However, AFTER the train is where the game gets really interesting.
Sure sometimes the games can be slow to get started but once progress starts being made and we delve more into the story i can't put the controller down.

For the record I'm on Team RE0.

Okay which do i find the most boring..? There are really only three RE games i don't like very much..that RE3R(I don't completely hate it but it irks me), Gaiden on the Gameboy Color it's..baaaadddd...and Operation Raccoon City OMG that game is atrocious. Really the one positive thing i will say about ORC is it's one of the only three RE games that feature the V-Acts a.k.a. Crimson Heads(the other two being REmake & Umbrella Chronicles).

Top Bottom