• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Leon - Perfecting the pretty is dumb stereotype.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I've decided to make a quick rant about my favorite character in the series, our resident(LOLZ EVERY PUN INTENDED) floppy haired friend, Leon.

Like I said I'll make this quick, I'm not one to start new threads or discussions but I've always thought these points to be pretty ridiculous.

1. After RE2, why is it that every time he bumps into the women he has a "complicated relationship" with, does he need to have a physical altercation with first to realize it's her? Examples: RE4, in the castle. Yeah, she was wearing sunglasses but c'mon, it was blatantly obvious. And in Damnation in the parking lot, albeit it was dark, but you see what I'm getting at. I'm pretty sure RE6 is the only exception to this rule.

2. Adam Benford and Liz - How many zombies have you killed, Mr. Kennedy? Yeah, I know, killing the president and your boss isn't anything that should be on your bucket list, but why put poor Ms. Harper that close to getting her face torn off? You know what to do, man. And for Liz, same rule applies, just man up and tell her father that she needs to be put down, so he can get bitten by another corpse later. Plus, that's much less awkward than most father/daughter situations I've been in. Meeting parents :eek:

3. The kids in the college corridor - Pretty much same rule applies as above, how many outbreaks have you been caught up in, man? All these years after Raccoon City you should know if someones gnawed on by a zombie, their time is up.

4. Last but not least, have you seen his driving record? I mean really, a couple cars, an airplane, and a helicopter. I'm surprised the jetski didn't blow up at the end of RE4. I can at least drive a car, so this gives me hope that I could one day become a government agent, although I feel over qualified at this point.

That's it, feel free to add to the list of Leon's memorable blunders!

tumblr_lvxeuiPBPZ1r804jko1_500_zpsb4622915.jpg

*Disclaimer* - Not hating on the character, just poking some fun. This fool is my favorite lolz.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
My rant about Helena is why the f*ck didn't she INSIST on flying when she knows damn well how to?

I agree with everything you said though lol. He's the pretty dumb blonde of the series XD I did admittedly love him in RE6... I never thought I'd say that either. He and Helena have the best bromance ever though honestly and I'd like to see them together again in a future installment. Maybe someday he'll forget about Ada and get some Helena ;) Although I'm pretty sure she's a lesbian...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
In those many "Leon vs. Chris" discussions I've seen since I'm a member of this forum, one of the central pro-Leon arguments has always been that he's so much smarter than Chris, and so incredibly smart in general... and now I read this from a Leon fan? Impressive.

By the way: Story, I love your signature!

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
@Story, yeah they do bromance pretty hard. Out of all the new characters in this one Helena is my favorite, they work well together. Although I think during chapter 2 of their campaign I was more frustrated than Leon getting dicked around with what was in the cathedral(thought I already knew what it was -__- ) And I thought something might have happened after the plane, ya know with the whole "Besides, you're starting to grow on me a bit.(Smirk, wink.)" But, Ada has the Asian Persuasion so that's doubtful, and sadly I can relate.

@Hel, granted most of this was noticeable in RE6 and crashing a car in RE2 wasn't thaaat bad, anyone who denies this stuff is too much of a fanboy. I think its hilarious and makes me like him even more. Maybe he's an off screen stoner? I think most peoples idea that he's so smart stems from the comment in Ada's file where she says he's "Pracitcally a genius." I don't know what organization she works for, but its surely not the board of education.. I wouldn't say he's straight up stupid, but definitely has some common sense issues.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Now that I think of it, doesn't pretty much every major character have common sense issues? Look at Jill and Chris in RE1. Jill is supposed to be a highly intelligent former Delta Team member, yet her behaviour in both the original and the Remake is so dumb it's embarrassing, and Chris doesn't even know what Umbrella is... I mean, seriously! And since they're both good-looking in a way, they both fit the cliché as well, at least their earlier versions. The only exception is Claire, but she's not exactly pretty if you ask me (except in Degeneration).

By the way, isn't bromance the term for a gay romance between two men? I always thought the "bro" part comes from "brother", and "warm brother" is another term for a gay man (at least in my language). So how can Leon and Helena have a bromance? Or is there something about Helena that only becomes visible when she's wearing a special costume?

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I've only heard the term "bromance" in reference to two best buds that hangout a questionable amount, and go on "bro-dates" often. Usually nothing sexual lolz. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Mac and Dennis from It's Always Sunny, they even have an episode titled "Mac and Dennis Break Up." So technically, this term isn't really valid for Leon and Helena for obvious reasons, but I use the term pretty loosely lolz. Also gonna have to look up "warm-brother".

And good point about Jill and Chris, and overall all characters. At first I read it as "Chris didn't even know what A umbrella was" and rofl'd for a few minutes lolz.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
@Hel: Thank you! lol a friend made it for me on tumblr!
@Mantis: Yeah Helena be trollin all the way to the theatre! It was a bit frustrating, but I guess like she said "You may not believe me." I'm sure he would've, but she didn't know what all he had seen before so I guess she thought he needed a visual... and BOY did he get one of Deborah's ass and tatas. The Harpers are definitely not lacking in the ass n titties department. XD

Lelena= Best Bromance ever. I could so see them both at a bar hitting on chicks, and Helena failing hard then going, "NO MORE TEARS!" then Leon gets them both in the car and makes a 3 point turn, and the car explodes.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
@Story, come on let's be serious. We all know a three point turn would be impossibru, he'd put it in reverse and it would burst into flames. And my lawd, the Harpers are not lacking in that department.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
@Story, come on let's be serious. We all know a three point turn would be impossibru, he'd put it in reverse and it would burst into flames. And my lawd, the Harpers are not lacking in that department.

I'm tempted to make a dedication video for Leon with "barbie girl" playing. If only I knew how to do such a thing! He obviously taught Sherry how to drive too. MY god she always runs me over when I'm playing as Helena in the crossover!

I've decided to make a quick rant about my favorite character in the series, our resident(LOLZ EVERY PUN INTENDED) floppy haired friend, Leon.

Like I said I'll make this quick, I'm not one to start new threads or discussions but I've always thought these points to be pretty ridiculous.

1. After RE2, why is it that every time he bumps into the women he has a "complicated relationship" with, does he need to have a physical altercation with first to realize it's her? Examples: RE4, in the castle. Yeah, she was wearing sunglasses but c'mon, it was blatantly obvious. And in Damnation in the parking lot, albeit it was dark, but you see what I'm getting at. I'm pretty sure RE6 is the only exception to this rule.
They're trying to add tension and make it dramtic. Personally I think any of the writing regarding Leon and Ada together is rather off.
2. Adam Benford and Liz - How many zombies have you killed, Mr. Kennedy? Yeah, I know, killing the president and your boss isn't anything that should be on your bucket list, but why put poor Ms. Harper that close to getting her face torn off?
Probably the fact that she had a gun herself. It's her intelligence that should be questioned.

You know what to do, man. And for Liz, same rule applies, just man up and tell her father that she needs to be put down, so he can get bitten by another corpse later.
That's the kind of thing that is never easy no matter how many times you do it. Even if Leon did tell him he needed to kill her, there would have been some problems he wouldn't have just said, "Sure go ahead and put a bullet in my daughter's brain, it's cool."

3. The kids in the college corridor - Pretty much same rule applies as above, how many outbreaks have you been caught up in, man? All these years after Raccoon City you should know if someones gnawed on by a zombie, their time is up.
That's why he didn't put up a fight when Helena told him it was too late, he knew he was in denial, he's determined to help people.

4. Last but not least, have you seen his driving record? I mean really, a couple cars, an airplane, and a helicopter. I'm surprised the jetski didn't blow up at the end of RE4. I can at least drive a car, so this gives me hope that I could one day become a government agent, although I feel over qualified at this point.
It'd be kind of hard to drive during a zombie apocalypse at full speed while you're getting attacked, just saying.

*Disclaimer* - Not hating on the character, just poking some fun. This fool is my favorite lolz.

Yeah, but I think you're kinda giving anti Leon folks more fuel to "prove" his character is bad.

I never understood the running gag of considering Leon dumb, all of the RE characters have a tendacy to be on the herp ta derp side every now and then. As for the Chris vs Leon thing. I think both of them are awsome and smart.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
All instances of Leon crashing a vehicle were caused by him being attacked while driving and his passenger doing f***-all to help.

Leon most likely didn't want to kill an infected while she was still conscious. (Jill had this conversation with Nicholai) He probably wanted to kill her when she turned, but he wasn't expecting her to turn in the cramped elevator.

And I'm pretty sure it never gets any easier to kill things that used to be human, especially if they were your friend.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
@Story, do it! That'd be pretty funny.

@Everyone else, I think you missed the part where I said this was a joke, and was drenched in sarcasm. Why would I add fuel to any fire that's opposing my favorite character? Its a joke, folks!

Flipqy42

Nevermore
@Story, do it! That'd be pretty funny.

@Everyone else, I think you missed the part where I said this was a joke, and was drenched in sarcasm. Why would I add fuel to any fire that's opposing my favorite character? Its a joke, folks!

I did miss the part where you stated it was a joke. I looked back and found it. Sorry I took it seriously.

You said you were poking fun at his character, which is fine, but making a topic dedicated to bashing his intelligence is easy bait for Leon haters...and defenders. :oops:

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but you didn't really give off the impression that you were being sarcastic the whole time.

anyone who denies this stuff is too much of a fanboy.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I did miss the part where you stated it was a joke. I looked back and found it. Sorry I took it seriously.
No problem, friend! I wanna nip it in the bud before it turns into any type of argument or debate. All for fun.

You said you were poking fun at his character, which is fine, but making a topic dedicated to bashing his intelligence is easy bait for Leon haters...and defenders. :oops:

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but you didn't really give off the impression that you were being sarcastic the whole time.
Trust me, it was sarcasm. Even the comment about being a fanboy. Hell, if I wasn't such a fanboy myself I wouldn't have noticed this stuff.

No problem, friend! I wanna nip it in the bud before it turns into any type of argument or debate. All for fun.

Trust me, it was sarcasm. Even the comment about being a fanboy. Hell, if I wasn't such a fanboy myself I wouldn't have noticed this stuff.
Then my mistake, I'm sorry. ;)

I like some of the, Chris steroids jokes myself. I'm reading this Cleon fic where Chris calls Leon emo and Leon saids, "Don't call me emo steroids. XD I like poking fun at characters too, just not when people are being serious about it. (Since I thought you were) I actually like the Leon can't drive joke.

There's also the joke about Wesker secretly being in love with Chris because he's like WAY too obsessed with him.

Oh come on, even if it didn't say that it was just a joke, no one can be as blindly in love with Leon to deny that he has any flaws!
I never said he didn't have any flaws, and I don't blindly love him, but I don't care for the bashing of a character for qualities that all of the other characters have as well.

Top Bottom