• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Leaked re8 review

Jamesy

This is an early review I came across today which I translated from German I think?

Conclusion
Whether you will enjoy Resident Evil Village to the fullest strongly depends on your own expectations. This eighth part trades in some of its suspense and action for visual splendor, which is great if you want to get yourself carried away by the common thread in the story. The big advantage of this part is that Ethan is no longer the anonymous dude and is starting to take on some character, but unfortunately, Resident Evil Village has lost some narrowness.

Your opinions on this?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is an interesting review and I like that they mention Ethan is a growing character which is something that was lacking from RE7. Ethan was never going to be well like in that game anyway because he took away the chance to see established characters and their stories (and there are many, many characters to have seen and loved). But that is at least a good sign.

Plenty of reviews are in and we, as the elite of the fanbase, really cant truly trust any reviewer because it is more likely that we will have a deeper connection with the series. But the general consensus seems to be fairly positive. My biggest concern is that a lot of the reviews point to (spoilers, kind of):

-Boring and repetitive boss fights
-SOMEHOW another rushed ending

But I am 90% sure I will like the game overall!

Turo602

The King of Kings
A lot of the reviews don't really paint this game in a positive light for me. It sounds exactly like what I thought it would be and it sounds like it even devolves into a borderline FPS experience. I seriously don't get how both RE7 and RE8 can be such polar opposites, especially after the success RE7 was. Seriously, WTF is Capcom smoking? Apparently RE7 was "too scary" for people and now it's back to RE4? These guys seriously love dividing their fanbase. Anything to see those numbers go higher than last time I guess.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
I’ll be fine with whatever the game gives me as long as it meets 3 requirements:

1) Nothing supernatural; still just biological horror
2) No contradicting the existing lore beyond anything that was never clear or explicit in the first place
3) A violent, disfiguring death for Lady Dimitrescu, because I can’t stand her face.

As long as these reviews are not indicating that any of these 3 things will be violated, I’ll be fine, and number 3 is negotiable.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I’ll be fine with whatever the game gives me as long as it meets 3 requirements:

1) Nothing supernatural; still just biological horror
2) No contradicting the existing lore beyond anything that was never clear or explicit in the first place
3) A violent, disfiguring death for Lady Dimitrescu, because I can’t stand her face.

As long as these reviews are not indicating that any of these 3 things will be violated, I’ll be fine, and number 3 is negotiable.
Hmm, I have seen some gameplay on Twitch and can give some incites about a couple of these.

1 -
This is kinda up in the air, did you consider Marguerite in 7 more supernatural or biological? Or even Alexia in CVX? Because how you feel about that will probably dictate whether or not you like one of the villains in 8. They are similar.
2 -
Unfortunately I can't really vouch for this because I didn't want to spoil too much for myself before I get my hands on the game but from what I did see, there didn't seem to be a lot of contradiction in lore.
3 -
The boss fight with her has her turn into a beast so, you'll be happy.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
No, I did not consider Marguerite or Alexia more supernatural than biological, as even their more “supernatural”-esque actions have an in-universe explanation based on the idea of biological augmentation and mutation that is at least theoretically possible. Same across the whole series, with all superpowers displayed being like something out of X-Men, as mutation while only having the appearance of magic powers. If that is what is going on in this game, I’ll be happy.

RipvanX

I finished the game today and I absolutely despised my time playing it. There is one segment I actually like with the giant fetus chasing you around and that’s about it. The level design is disorientating and poorly paced despite being open world-ish. Enemies feel too bullet spongy and don’t feel fun to fight at all. The boss mutations also look wack. Gun sounds are laughably bad and sound weak. The mold is basically nanomachines from MGS4/Rising from which Capcom can make up whatever they want since it seems to have no limits at all to mutant possibilities. MUTAMYCETE’S, SON!

The lore also feels forced with Miranda being Spenser’s teacher, but I guess it’s apart of official canon now. The BSAA are also using B.O.W.’s now, tarnishing any reputation they have built since RE5 in stopping such weapons from being used. The time jump really ****es me off more than anything. If RE9 or whatever continues from where they left off, I am done. I’m so sad and frustrated, it’s a shame.

They threw REmake 3 under the bus for this game, which makes me hate it even more.

Last edited:

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
They threw REmake 3 under the bus for this game, which makes me hate it even more.

They did not throw REmake 3 under the bus for this game; REmakes 2 and 3 were thrown under the bus by their very existence, as those two games had no business being remade in the first place, nor do any others except the first one. This game’s development had nothing to do with how REmake 3 turned out.

RipvanX

I love how fans criticize RE6 for having a T-Rex and giant spider fly but they can get behind a dragon and metal gear boss fight in RE8. I hate this fandom sometimes lol.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
It does seem inconsistent at times, doesn’t it. But as to me, so long as those are explained away due to sci-fi biological manipulation and not Lovecraftian demonic powers, I’m good, no matter how absurd said mutations are.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
They did not throw REmake 3 under the bus for this game; REmakes 2 and 3 were thrown under the bus by their very existence, as those two games had no business being remade in the first place, nor do any others except the first one. This game’s development had nothing to do with how REmake 3 turned out.
I think they had plenty of business remaking two beloved and completely outdated games. Say what you want about REmake 3 but REmake 2 was damn near perfect with the exception of being a bit on the short side.

Hardware

I love how fans criticize RE6 for having a T-Rex and giant spider fly but they can get behind a dragon and metal gear boss fight in RE8. I hate this fandom sometimes lol.
Are people really defending them? Jeez...the "mgs boss fight" (it really was like REX vs RAY in MGS4...only it wasn't needed) was terrible - not that the "dragon" was any better, mind you, but that one looked like some Robot Wars episode..

Hardware

The lore also feels forced with Miranda being Spenser’s teacher, but I guess it’s apart of official canon now.
That's something I was literally afraid of the minute they showed the Umbrella logo along with the 4 families' coats of arms:
Spencer having taken inspiration from whatever was in the village...the same Spencer who wanted to be a god and entrusted Alex Wesker to make him immortal but somehow forgot about his mentor having already reached godhood in Eastern Europe

RipvanX

But he didn’t want to be made immortal with mold even though it was PROVEN it worked through Miranda, that is a huge oversight. Spenser: “Waaah!! I wanted to use viruses and do it my own way!” Literally makes zero sense.

This **** is giving me a brain aneurysm.

Last edited:

Hardware

But he didn’t want to be made immortal with mold even though it was PROVEN it worked through Miranda, that is a huge oversight. Spenser: “Waaah!! I wanted to use viruses and do it my own way!” Literally makes zero sense.

This **** is giving me a brain aneurysm.
Dude, the more I think of it, the more this game's plot makes my head ache. Stupid as F. It doesn't even work if you pretend there's no story and it's just a ride in the haunted house because things are supposed to be there for a reason - and the more peculiar they are, the more specific the reason (this is why Mikami's approach to RE1 was wrong). It's both better (it's horror at least) and worse (it's even stupider) than RE4.

Top Bottom