• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Lack of Enemy Types

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
My main issue with RE7 is still prevalent in the RE2 remake and that is the lack of enemy types. It is much less egregious in this game, but it is still notable because of the amount of enemy types in the original RE2.

In the original game, we had zombies, cereberus (or is it zombie dog?), licker, crow, spider, ivy, G-spawn, G-spawn embryo, Birkin, Alligator, and Mr. X.

In this one, we lose two of them. Now, they did indeed
make the G-spawn a normal enemy, but that just means they created less enemies overall. Although, I do like the new Ivy Zombie design and the Plant 43 scenario.

However, since zombies are so much tougher in this game, it balances out the difficulty! I just feel like it would have been great to add more new enemy types rather than remove any.

Your thoughts?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't necessarily miss the spiders or the crows. As I remember they weren't overly prevalent in the original anyway, you only had to encounter them in one or two rooms at the most.

If you want me to be perfectly honest, I'm glad that they left them out rather than throwing them in there for the sake of "enemy diversity."

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is fair to say. The diversity was much better than what RE7 offered.

I do think there is a missed opportunity in there somewhere. Even if the crows were non-violent, it'd be a great homage to the "pecked to death" hallway in the original to see a few within the game.

But like I said in the original posts, it may have been too much to add more since zombies are so much more threatening in this game. Even after playing through twice, I am still horrified when I see a group of zombies together.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I wouldn't say that I'm horrified at the thought of facing a group of zombies but I absolutely hate the female zombies in this game. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the female zombies are especially aggressive?

Res_Veteran

I Work For Umbrella
I wouldn't say that I'm horrified at the thought of facing a group of zombies but I absolutely hate the female zombies in this game. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the female zombies are especially aggressive?

Yeah I've noticed that also,

There screams are very aggressive as well when they come towards you and there movement pattern is more unpredictable than the males zombies.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The zombie that gives me the most trouble is the Asian zombie with the hair parted in the middle. He just never diessss. Seriously, with Leon, I pump 11 or so headshots on him before he stops moving. I come back in the room and he is walking again!

Res_Veteran

I Work For Umbrella
The zombie that gives me the most trouble is the Asian zombie with the hair parted in the middle. He just never diessss. Seriously, with Leon, I pump 11 or so headshots on him before he stops moving. I come back in the room and he is walking again!

Yeah I know the one you are on about,

I just blow his legs and arms off ain't gonna catch me if all you can do is wiggle buddy. :lol:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
There's also the one in the morgue next to the door who gets up after you take the diamond key. I'm not even sure why I felt the need to shoot him in my first playthrough, it's not like you ever have to enter that room again, but I tried anyway, and he never goes down again... at all!

But back on topic, I honestly didn't even notice the lack of enemy variety in the game. Spiders may be gone from the sewers, but now we have a former boss as a regular enemy there instead, one that can't be so easily avoided. And given how little we saw of the crows in the original, I can imagine Capcom wouldn't even have bothered to put them in at all if they hadn't already modelled them for RE1. Those cockroaches (or whatever they were) in the sewer ventilation shafts are gone too, but I certainly don't miss them stunlocking my character to death, especially Sherry who couldn't outrun them.

For story purposes, it might have been wise to include crimson heads and hunters as additional enemies, since the former were introduced in REmake 1 and the latter were roaming the city during Jill's escape. But considering how ridiculously hard regular zombies are to kill in this game, and how rare critical headshots are, I'm glad they don't also turn into crimson heads...

Ark2000

Personally, giant spiders are only enemies i missed. I don't mind how entire sewer part was changed and more G monsters were added, but i'd still prefer if they kept spiders, which i always thought were very creepy enemies. I think that they could have made them even more creepier and dangerous in the new game, like they did to other enemies.

Maybe Capcom will consider including them in RE 3 remake, but i doubt that. I mean, if the monsters in RE 2 remake were changed to be more aggressive and hard to kill, i can imagine what nightmare Nemesis and others will be, even if only few of them from original game are included.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I was a little surprised to see this thread because I felt enemy variation was pretty good in this game. I didn't miss the crows. There was one point where I thought, oh no spiders, as I was about the enter the sewers but I'm glad they are not in the game. I feel that it did a great job keeping the Staples in (I think of lickers, Mr X, the alligator and Birkin when I think of RE2 enemies) while also fleshing out characters and making the story fresh while still keeping it faithful to the original release.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I was SERIOUSLY worried about Crimson Heads when I saw Annette burning that corpse in the trailer. I thought there was only ONE REASON to burn the body too! But of course, that is not the case.

And returning to the alligator. Did anyone else feel like it was just there for the sake of being there? It was like they added it super last minute and it doesn't feel cohesive with the rest of the game to me. Although, it was realllllly nerve wracking.

Ark2000

And returning to the alligator. Did anyone else feel like it was just there for the sake of being there? It was like they added it super last minute and it doesn't feel cohesive with the rest of the game to me. Although, it was realllllly nerve wracking.

I know i heard somewhere how they spend lot of time talking about should they include it or not, so i wouldn't be surprised if that's true, but maybe they just wanted to have a huge jump scare and chase scene to show up out of nowhere.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Honestly, to me the alligator never felt cohesive or important, not even in the original game. :confused: It was always just kind of there, never explained, never foreshadowed or seen again, never talked about by the characters, not even immediately after they killed it. It jumped at you, you ran from it a little, blew it up, done. What exactly would you say is different, or worse, this time around?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Honestly, to me the alligator never felt cohesive or important, not even in the original game. :confused: It was always just kind of there, never explained, never foreshadowed or seen again, never talked about by the characters, not even immediately after they killed it. It jumped at you, you ran from it a little, blew it up, done. What exactly would you say is different, or worse, this time around?
Agreed. The alligator felt like it always has. Out of place.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I was SERIOUSLY worried about Crimson Heads when I saw Annette burning that corpse in the trailer. I thought there was only ONE REASON to burn the body too! But of course, that is not the case.

Burning bodies has been pretty common throughout the zombie genre and crimson heads are only in Resident Evil. I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say that one should only burn a body for fear of Crimson Heads. Maybe that's just me.

As for the alligator, I think they did all they had to do. You fight it the same exact way as in the original. You still kill him with one bullet. And as stated in another post, it has always been somewhat out of place and has always disappeared just as soon as it arrived.

Also, I missed the part in your original post where you would have liked them to add enemies as opposed to removing them. Did Resident Evil 2 really need so many more enemies that badly? Legit question. Would it have made that big of a difference? Because it seems, to me at least, that if they had used every single enemy from the original AND added a couple new ones, the games would become unnecessarily bloated for the sake of being bloated.

I have a question for you. Did you like the remake? I know you listed your complaints in the original post (which is fine, no game is perfect) but it has occurred to me that I can't really tell if you enjoyed the game or not lol.

Res_Veteran

I Work For Umbrella
The gator was a tough one for Capcom to do they went through multiple different designs for it as they were struggling to make it fit right in the current environment,

I'm glad they went with the design that's in the game it gives you that claustrophobic feeling making the player question am I going to be able to out run this gigantic reptile that's chasing me down,

At the end of the day people will be people and like everything are no different when it comes to games some people are going to love what they have done with the Resident Evil 2 Remake others won't,

But this is what we do we are gamer's and reguardless of what people feel this game is lacking or over doing in certain aspects we can all appreciate that Capcom have done such a outstanding job in making Resident Evil 2 come to life from the Raccoon City Police Department to the sewers and even the Umbrella Lab,

The game is scary and enjoyable that's exactly what a Resident Evil game should be,

True survival horror at it's finest with massive replay value.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I think the enemy variety felt smooth and natural as you progress throughout the game. I didn't feel there was a lack of enemy types. I got zombies throughout the first level, then as I progressed through the station I encountered the lickers, and then I got Birkin, followed by the dogs and Mr X underground, the big flesh blobs in the sewers, and finally those annoying tree guys in the lab that always come back to life. Personally I feel that was a perfect mix.

There is a particularly scary female police zombie in the north staircase of RPD station between the second and third floor that is quite hard to kill. Her hoarse screams combined with a faster-than-average walking is creepy af.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
There is a particularly scary female police zombie in the north staircase of RPD station between the second and third floor that is quite hard to kill. Her hoarse screams combined with a faster-than-average walking is creepy af.
The one with the dark hair? Yes she's always waiting in inopportune places to catch you unaware. And if you shoot her legs off, she's somehow waiting to grab you as soon as you come out of the showers after leaving the STARS office.

The blonde ones are also hell. The one in the shooting range and the one outside when you're turning on the water seem to lunge after you with extreme aggression, like it's personal or something.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The one with the dark hair? Yes she's always waiting in inopportune places to catch you unaware. And if you shoot her legs off, she's somehow waiting to grab you as soon as you come out of the showers after leaving the STARS office.
Yes, the dark long hair. It would be interesting if she was more aggressive towards Claire than Leon, but I haven't noticed any difference yet.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Yes, the dark long hair. It would be interesting if she was more aggressive towards Claire than Leon, but I haven't noticed any difference yet.
This absolute cow gave me trouble in both Leon and Claire's scenario, she just wouldn't die! She also fell over the banister onto me in Claire's scenario and grabbed me. I knifed her, got four headshots and got my knife back, she grabs me again so I put my knife back in her, headshotted her again and she still hadn't gone down... And in Leon's scenario, she probably took a good eight bullets too....

Top Bottom