• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Jill Valentine

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Regarding the Remake, what do you think of Jill? Her outfit? Her model? Her characterization? Voice acting?

Me personally...I thought she was a missed opportunity. With how the game turned out, it was such a waste, i just shrug my shoulder and just say...meh. I do like the interaction between her and Carlos, and that the Mansion Incident haunts her...but i wish they could've explored that more. I just do not like this version of Jill all that much, and its a shame -__-

D

Deleted member 21244

I think she is the best Version of jill, we can really see her as a real person now in term of character and feeling...
While in the past she was simply jill, good character but whit actually few inside development

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I very much enjoyed Jill. I think she looked like Jill, was very fluid in her motions which made her feel like she had real combat experience, and her one liners were absolutely fantastic.

Of course, if the game had more meat to it - she would have come off even better. But the game isn't that full to begin with, so we're stuck with the amount of Jill we got.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
She felt like your average action movie heroine of today's cinema. Likeable and strong with a feisty personality, but nothing like the Jill Valentine I knew from the original game or even RE1 remake. I'd like to call this version of her Jane Valentine, because she comes off as a "Jane Doe" that really could be anyone.

I still liked her, but it somewhat felt like being introduced to a completely new character. The way she's shown dealing with the outbreak feels strange, as if she didn't saw it coming, and at times it feels like she's a tourist in her own city. Jill in the original simply felt less surprised about Raccoon City being in flames and more calmed down, yet furious on the inside. It felt like she knew what she was doing in the original, and the only thing that took her by surprise was Nemesis.

The PTSD was a missed opportunity, why did they introduce such a major addition to Jill's characterization if they were not gonna do anything with it for the rest of the game, save a small dream about zombie-Carlos at the hospital (that could've just been a bad fever dream for anyone, though).

D

Deleted member 21244

She felt like your average action movie heroine of today's cinema. Likeable and strong with a feisty personality, but nothing like the Jill Valentine I knew from the original game or even RE1 remake. I'd like to call this version of her Jane Valentine, because she comes off as a "Jane Doe" that really could be anyone.

I still liked her, but it somewhat felt like being introduced to a completely new character. The way she's shown dealing with the outbreak feels strange, as if she didn't saw it coming, and at times it feels like she's a tourist in her own city. Jill in the original simply felt less surprised about Raccoon City being in flames and more calmed down, yet furious on the inside. It felt like she knew what she was doing in the original, and the only thing that took her by surprise was Nemesis.

The PTSD was a missed opportunity, why did they introduce such a major addition to Jill's characterization if they were not gonna do anything with it for the rest of the game, save a small dream about zombie-Carlos at the hospital (that could've just been a bad fever dream for anyone, though).
In the original she isn't actually developed, we can't see any of her actual character and feeling, it's just a character , if you put regina skin she can pass for regina from dino crisis

I must agree on the part of the PTSD, it was wasted, they could have put a playable part whit her when she was infected like some sort of nightmare, maybe in first person like the start of the game... It would have been cool if she was dreaming of being in the mansion again and you could have roam around a bit

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Ok I'm kinda split on this.

I like the new model. I had no problem with the costume. I like that there was some fleshing out. BUT. I think they went just a little too edgy with her. I don't know, I can't really explain it. I guess I expect a little more self control in someone with her extensive background, not going into a curse ridden tizzy every time she encounters someone or something she doesn't like. Hot headed I guess is the word. I never felt from any other Jill that she was a hot headed character and then all of a sudden in R3make she was way off in left field. I didn't hate the character by any means I just literally found myself telling her to stfu when I played the game and I shouldn't be wanting that from the main protagonist lol.

Mr.R

To me, RE3R is the best version of Jill by a huge margin. A really huge margin. I always liked Jill...or better said, Jill's concept, but with the exception of the original RE3, where she has a personality, in the other games, she's only your standard hero.

RE1: Confused, yet though. \ RE Remake: Confused, yet though with better voice over. Yet, she sounds bored.

RE Umbrella Chronicles \ RE5 : Female Chris. Standard soldier personality.

RE Revelations: A wooden cardboard. Her reaction to Rachael being killed in front of her is Ethan-esque. Michelle Ruff does a very poor job on this game.

The Og RE3 (and Operation Raccoon City, for the 5 minutes she's in) is the only game Jill feels like a character. We can hear her feelings and her disappointment about the citizens of RC regarding to Umbrella, we can feel her anger at Nicholai in several points. The only thing that's not developed in the original is her relationship with Carlos.

I know, that sometimes RE3R Jill seems way edgier, but she feels more natural. You can compare her with RE2R Claire and Leon and her reactions are more on the confident side, because of her experience and her relationship with Carlos develops more naturally. I don't mind her cursing. I would curse like a sailor if I was in her boots. Also, the fact that RE3R has some of the best facial animations out there, it helped to flesh her even more on my mind. Also, for a character that had awful (RE1, RE Rev), bored (Remake, UC) or average-at-best (RE5) voice performace in all of the game she appears (again, Catherine Disher on 3 stands out awesomely), Nicole Tompkins did an amazing job. I hope they keep her for Jill's next appearance.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

In the original she isn't actually developed, we can't see any of her actual character and feeling, it's just a character , if you put regina skin she can pass for regina from dino crisis
People crap too much on the classic Jill and complain that she has no personality, complaining on such things that "we don't know anything about her hobbies, background or family life". Well we don't really know that much about Chris, Leon or Claire either, yet they never get questionied as much as Jill does. I feel it has to do with the way Jill is presented - she's quite calm, very independent and only talks when necessary which suits someone in her position as the only female S.T.A.R.S. member (Rebecca was so fresh so she doesn't really count). I wouldn't say she's a tomboy, but she definitely comes off as a bit of a loner. She's not overly feminine, neither is she overly masculine. When she talks she tends to have a quite monotone voice, and all of this combined might make people feel she's a boring character without much depth. But this is just her character! She is more of an introvert, but one thing she never was for sure was mean or easily annoyed - she was a nice and calm person.

If anything, Regina rather comes off as a copy of Jill since Jill came first. However, this sort of comparison is unfair because voice-acting and presentation in the 90's were lightyears behind what we have today. You can look at many characters from 90's video games and swap around the characters to make someone pass for another because everything was more stiff and basic. Again, going back to my previous argument that Jill gets more crap than she deserves compared to Chris, Leon and Claire even though they also suffered from the same cheesy 90's voice acting.

When it comes to RE3R, Jill isn't "developed" as you may call it in this game either, the game's presentation just gives you the illusion of a developed character because of the way the story is told. A hot-headed personality who constantly swears and talks back is just a trope they put on RE3R-Jill to make her fit in the action-heavy cinematic story they wanted to tell. The closest thing we get to new development is her PTSD, but unless you've played RE1 or knows the story about the mansion incident you as a player won't understand it. So, a lot of her characterization in the remake is STILL actually based on what you already know and feel about Jill from the previous games.

I just prefer the more calm Jill who isn't easily annoyed by everything. Hence, I refer to this RE3R version as "Jane Valentine".

Awebb

There was also the RE1R Jill, who fell on her ass every time she saw a cut-scene zombie.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I didn’t see the new Jill as a character who lacked control of her emotions. She was still pretty tame, considering the circumstances she was dragged into. How patient and polite could anyone be when they know the truth and real reasons behind a viral outbreak taking place in their own backyard?
Her snippy comments towards Mikhail and Carlos were justified in the beginning. Mikhail was acting shady as he clearly knew of Jill and called her by name, so she had every right to be on edge with him at first.
I love that Jill warmed up to Mikhail before he was killed though. We actually get to see the sweet and reserved nature, that we’ve known Jill for during this part of the game as it shows in her body language after Mikhail welcomes her back on the train.
Also, the fact that she didn’t blow Nicholai’s brains out at the end only solidified that she was calm and in check with her emotions.

I’d say that this is the best Jill representation we’ve had and it’s complete with great acting and improvisation from the actress.
Her personality fits being a female in a male dominated field. Like it or not, sometimes women need to exhume confidence in such a position and sometimes that entails giving a bit of attitude to get their point across. The ‘take no crap’ attitude comes with the territory.

I agree with others though on how annoying it was with how surprised she was that an outbreak happened, considering it’s one of the things her and other surviving members of STARS were trying to warn everyone about. I also wish we could have done more with her PTSD. But that’s also something they can develop further in a future game with her.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

@bSTAR_182 Some of your points might be true but I still feel the older Jill did a better job at exhuming confidence by giving a more calm/professional handling of the situation. I've been in workplace situations where there's been around 10 guys and just 1 girl, but the girl got a lot of respect for just doing a really great job and simply oozing confidence by being so calm and never taking crap (you can handle taking crap in different ways), and she just became" one of the guys". I always felt Jill in the classic games was a good representation of that, even though she was basically the only female STARS member for a long time nobody made a big deal about it. She was "one of them". Someone who gets annoyed easily and shows off a overly mocking attitude, regardless of their gender, isn't going to get a lot of respect in a workplace environment by his/her colleagues. I've seen these people in real life too, mostly guys actually, and even though they might be doing a good job they're not likeable by so many.

Granted, the UBCS isn't STARS and Jill has every right to be ****ed off at the UBCS. But.... Jill is a police with a military background, and when she sees those uniforms I think she should be taking a different approach, similar to the original.
Not saying Jill isn't allowed to show emotion. I really like the scene when Nemesis enters the train and she says "Why isn't this f**ker dead yet?", for example. In fact I like everything she says to Nemesis in the remake. But I just feel Jill handled the "people stuff" better in the original.

That's why my favorite scene with Jill in RE3R is when she and Brad tries to barricade the door and they say the lines "Are we still a team?", "Always". That one really hit the spot.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
The original Jill, to me, felt a little too reserved, hell even Rebecca, with her shy demeanor, seemed like the type who would get chewed up and spit out in that line of work.
Don’t get me wrong, being reserved is definitely important especially when you’re a police officer. (I even consider myself very reserved unless someone is being blatantly douche-y then I run into trouble with running my mouth :lol:). But, from my experience, Jill’s attitude in the R3make matches that of quite a few police officers (female and male) that I know. We do see that she has a laid back attitude with those that she knows and feels comfortable with... uniform or not, the UBCS didn’t get to see that side of her- right away anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom