• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) Is this game truly the greatest game in the franchise?

RedPanda

4x the awesome
RE2 is still my favorite game in the franchise, and still my favorite video game of all time. I'm sure I have some compelling reasons for why it's great and all, but nostalgia is definitely the biggest factor for why it's still my favorite. I mean I found games like Outbreak, 5, 6, and both revelations to have way more replay value, graphics of more recent entries are obviously superior, the controls of 2, while I love them , certainly leave something to be desired, and the story, while compelling, was far from extraordinary. So despite knowing that other games are better in a lot of respects, I don't see RE2 budging from the top spot any time soon.

Kurisu

Well, you know, the concept of a zombie apocalypse in a city and having to get out of it was an appealing concept in the 90's. Plus the game was way longer than RE 1, and we got new characters, one connected to the good ol' Chris we know and love. Plus, more story, the multiple forms of Birkin... RE2 was an improvement and a good sequel, and it is more loved than 3 since in 2 the concept was new, or at least that's my opinion. Also, it feels more classic than 3, even if 3 was released a year later, I don't know, it just has that feeling.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Not really. Nostalgia makes things appear 1000x times better than what they really are. But regardless it depends on the person.

For me RE2 was a step up. It's in a city with atmospheric music, a likable cast of characters, enemy placement, and item placement. Puzzles were pretty fun (If stupidly illogical for the places.) And the events were pretty cool too.

Is it the best RE? That's subjective. But I do like it. However as far as uniqueness goes. I think CV was higher.

black 93

RE1 remake is the greatest game in the franchise imo. It does everything the original formula did to perfection even better. It's probably the most perfect remake in any forum of media.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
In my opinion, RE2 is the greatest game in the franchise for a multitude of reasons. However, you have to look through the lens of the time period.

RE2 perfected the two person zapping system storyline they built from the first game. Not only could you play both scenarios, but you could actively effect the other scenario. No one RE has been able to pull this off in a sufficient manner leading to the main issues most fans have with the RE2 REmake. Playing through the B storyline which is about 20% Easter Eggs from the A campaign is one of the most rewarding experiences in video game history. Period.

The updated graphics from the first one are amazing. The update sounds were on par with what the games would have for the 10 years. The storyline added to the story from the first one. We had two of the most fear inducing final bosses in RE history in William Birkin AND Mr. X. The RPD is among the most iconic locations in the franchise and the Umbrella Labs are connected to mythos from over 4 other RE games.

It is the perfect sequel. If you weren't around at the time the game came out, I wouldn't argue that you might find newer games to be better because you couldn't appreciate the outdated looks and feel of the game like you could when it was new.

And I will leave off with this final notion: The original REmake is the best remake ever made. It improved the original game so much that you will probably never again have to play the original RE game. However, the REmake 2, while a technical marvel and one of the best games of the year couldn't completely and adequately remake the RE2 experience. If you want the full RE2 experience, the original game is still the way to go over 25ish years later.

1995umk3

Resident Evil 3. I played RE since the first one came in in the 1990s and stopped after finishing RE4.

I really liked the nemesis thing and he can enter the room you are on if you are not careful, the gunpower you can mix and make stuff, and the music (also the end game credits music when you beat the game is nice too)

One thing i did hate though... is anytime when you load or start a new game and choose difficulty, it just sais "RESIDENT EVIL" not RESIDENT EVIL 3.

Like the first RE but its suppose to be like that because its the first one. I grown to accept it though over the years because it was the same for RE4.

RE2 is neat for it's individual disc for leon and claire.

Last edited:

trag

RE2 and RE4 are arguably the best. My personal favorite is the OG Resident Evil.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
RE4 for me is the best among all re franchises...i do say all re games are good on there on way...but re4 just takes the cake and i hope they make new re after the events of re4

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Resident Evil 2 is very close to Resident Evil Code Veronica X when it comes to my favorite game in the series, with CVX only barely taking first place.

I feel that RE2 did lots of things right - the locations were memorable, the soundtrack even moreso, the story was good (and interesting), it was a good sequel (which is hard to do in general), the characters were sympathetic and the game was scary. There's really not much to not love about it it my opinion. When I think of Resident Evil in general I think of Resident Evil 2.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Agreed - And here is one of the biggest things about RE2:

It made a great sequel that only loosely followed the original game. That is such a risk, but it paid off so well. When they dropped Eliza and made Claire Redfield - Capcom did themselves a service in connecting to the first game as much as possible without remaking the same game with the same characters. Their risk paid off hansomely.

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Absolutely. It feels like a giant improvement from RE1 in many ways and it still aged really well. Story, weapons, characters, action, ( I personally like the campy and over the top nature of RE and this was the game that started to focus on action more instead of RE4, it focuses on action and over the top nature more than the 1st game. Don't like how they took out some of the fun elements of the previous RE games in RE7 ( and even in RE2 Remake ) and nerfed it for a generic horror game. ) soundtrack, locations and more.

Oh and it has best credits theme:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

No I personally think the greatest is code veronica, but probably re 2 is one of the best in the series

RedfieldFan

CV will most likely always be my favorite of the RE games but RE2 is probably my second favorite. Either that or REmake.
Also really love RE5 and Rev2.

Last edited:

mert20004

From the classic re games; yes. It's the greatest. I prefer re4 / re5 / re6 over it but ı love re2 a lot as well.

Roku

That's a great question, but in my (very) personal opinion? No. Admittedly, RE2 is one of my least favorite main entry of the series, so I'm probably a bit biased, but I don't think it's the best, although I recognize it's overall importance and still appreciate it.
Resident Evil 2 is a great sequel and did a lot right (like introducing the zapping system, which is one of my fav features in the whole saga), but the absolute best?
I genuinely don't think so.
That title, in my opinion, belongs to Resident Evil 1 Remake, not only because it's the quintessential Resident Evil experience (it basically summarize what the whole saga is all about) but because it excels and improves almost every aspect present in 2.
The only thing RE2 has over 1 imo is the story/storytelling and the zapping system, but even so, I kinda like the story of RE1 more (tastes are tastes, can't do much about it even though I realize that 2 does have an objectively better narrative), and the zapping system, while great for it's time, doesn't really add too much (although, it was still an extremely pleasant surprise).

The way I see it, Resident Evil 2 is pretty much a blueprint on how to make a sequel right/an amazing sequel, while RE1 Remake is a great example on how to make an almost perfect game.

Last edited:

TRCMods

RE 2 remake is objectively better in terms of graphics, gameplay mechanics, story, pacing and atmosphere. However fun isn't something you can measure objectively. Neither is nostalgia. RE 2 came out at a time when developers were still experimenting with how 3d games should actually play while coming up with clever ideas to overcome hardware limitations. It's an era which saw crazy levels of experimentation and innovation. Likewise I was in my late teens when I first played this games, which is one of the most transformative stages of life. Many things I experienced then went on to affect who I am today. So all of these factors are what seal RE 2 as one of my favorites. That being said I do think I prefer the remake, especially the new 4th survivor mode.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is a fair point. The remake version has so many great elements about it and objectively, it is the better game when we determine which one has more modern and playable elements. However, my biggest gripe with RE2R is that it is just less of a game. No matter how good it looks, feels, and plays - it is just half of the content of the original game. Maybe like 3/4. Without actual A/B scenarios and... well, different scenarios at all, the game feels like they were more interested in gameplay over everything else. But I feel like a lot of the love for RE is based on seeing new, amazing creatures, seeing new areas and locations, and finding as many secrets as possible. But this game gives us hardly any of that.

Again, RE2R is in my Top 5 favorite RE games right now, but I feel like it cant compare to the original.

Top Bottom