• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Is It Worth Buying The VR To Play?

Milner

I know may sound silly but atm iv not got round to buying the ps4 vr. bare in mind its priced a £350 + camera & ovbs RE7, but the question is it worth that cost for the experience?

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Admittedly I considered getting VR but I think I'll settle for just the standard PS4 edition. VR to me are like 3D glasses at the movies. They're not really worth the price for the few uses you'll get out of it. If you have other games other than just RE7 in mind then I can understand. Otherwise, I'd lean towards no.

Of course you can take my opinion with a grain since I haven't actually played RE7 yet (on VR or otherwise) So who knows if I'm missing out on something grand. Anyone here have the VR headset?

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Yeah, that £350 alone is a bit of a sting. I'm with GG on this - if you're not looking to grow your VR gaming library any time soon, I'd stick with the regular ol' version of RE7. Some say that RE7 is meant to be played in VR, though. Not really sure which side of the fence I sit on.

One additional thing worth considering if you've still got that VR itch is that it's always a good idea to try a friend's VR headset out first before slamming down all those notes on your own headset because you might fall into the percentile of users whom can suffer side effects as a result of VR exposure. My wife, for example, suffers pretty nasty headaches even after only using VR gear for a short while. Just food for thought, really.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
I'd like to try vr myself but I'm not sure if I'd really like it. Not a big fan of 3d movies and stuff so idk it could make me dizzy. Plus as mentioned, that price tag :surprised:

Resi 7 prob is a great experience in vr but I can say that I really enjoyed the standard version. Jump scares even managed to get me on my 2nd playthrough but that was probably because I was kinda rushing :p

Matt S

RE noob
Even with the lower resolution, the PSVR is pretty great. RE7 is awesome in that mode. However, it's damn expensive...

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
No.
For one thing Vr is extremely expensive to get just for one game.

Secondly, two of the dlcs that are coming out for this Vr based game arnt compatible with it

Matt S

RE noob
Had a couple friends come over and both experienced VR-sickness........seems to be an issue that affects more than a little.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones - no issues like that.

Skagewid

£350 are too expensive to spend only for a game. I advice to buy it only if you have a lot of money to can spend or a lot of games that use the VR.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
VR is a still decently new concept. You won't get anything aside from tech demos labeled as "games."

Not to mention that price. I'd say forget it.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
It's up to you, some say it's not possible to play through entire RE7 game with VR on. In my situation I wouldn't buy it nor use it since I get motion sickness, it's just not for me :)
Like I said, it's not possible to play through any game entirely with VR due to how much pressure on your eyes that would be, and it could lead to some kind of Eye-Disease, I read that somewhere ahah

TJay

Premium
I got the PlayStation VR, primarily for other things and it has been more than worth the money for me. I haven't properly played RE7 in VR mode yet (probably need a few beers first) but what I have seen in VR of RE7 is absolutely stunning.

I waited to get VR (I was originally going to get the VR for RE7's release) because I'd read reports of bad motion sickness and also reports of sore eyes. I don't generally suffer from motion sickness but my eyes are photosensitive so was a little concerned about people saying they suffered sore eyes after playing VR.

I've had little to none motion sickness (I realise I'm probably rare in this instance) the only time I've really experienced it is on Scavengers Odyssey when I decided it would be "a laugh" to spin around in circles.

I've also had very little eye irritation and in fact probably less than looking at a standard screen playing for the same length of time.

There is a lot of adjusting that can be done with the PSVR & I do suggest if anyone gets it, to spend some time fiddling so that the settings are right for you. I actually found the setting within the PS4 settings to take a picture of my eyes to help adjust the VR alignment very helpful (apparently my eyes are little wider apart than the average person - yay me).

But like others have said, I do think you have to consider what else you'd use the VR headset for. RE7 is perfectly playable and enjoyable without VR.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Personally I'll say that the price is too steep. I think it's cool after beating the game 3 times I can see how great that game would be in VR. I would even go as far as calling it the ultimate VR experience because I can't think of a single VR game better tan that.

That being said I would spend the money on a PS4-Pro or a Switch. The Switch might even get VR support next year and the headset will likely be very cheap since you already own the actual device. The screen would just slip in the headset like the Google headsets. Of course this is all rumors and/or concepts and may or may not be released.

I think it comes down to how much money you make and how many games you play. If Resident Evil is you main thing gaming related and you're not interested in a Pro or other gaming platforms. Then yes, the VR would be worth it for you for the experience. Though so far it's the only definite experience imho. There just isn't enough content for VR on the PS4 and it's more of a gimmick with minimal support looking at it from a console market perspective.

refan1982

I have a Playstation VR... There are other uses for it besides just games. The latest update lets you watch 3d blu rays on it. No 3d TV or player required. The PS4 now works as a 3d blu ray player, and all you need is either a VR headset or 3d TV w/glasses. If you already own a PS4 anyway, this saves you hundreds of dollars.

You can watch any dvd/blu ray with the VR headset on. It's a bit grainier than watching on a TV, but you can set it to simulate sitting in a movie theater with a giant screen. It's also compatible with HULU, youtube, etc. You can watch your shows on a screen bigger than your TV.

You can watch concerts and documentaries in VR. We watched a cool Paul McCartney VR concert demo where you're literally standing on stage and can look around. The docs we watched already looked 3d even before the update. There's one where you can stand on the set of Star Wars Rogue One and look around. It's like you're there. There's a Walking Dead one where it tells you to put on your headset and get on your knees... then BOOM you're in the circle with Rick and the group as Negan comes out and starts doing eeny meeny miny moe. There's also nature docs, and some shows are starting to film in VR.

Besides all that, RE7 in VR is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my life.

Top Bottom