• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Into sadomasochism? Try a Handgun Only run!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Hey you! Yes, you.
Are you tired of breezing through Resident Evil 4 with overpowered weaponry, or weapons with infinite shots? Do you know RE4 inside and out? Is it no longer challenging for you? Then I suggest you begin a handgun only run!

A handgun only run will do wonders for bringing back the tension to RE4 and will force you to form quick and effective strategies if you don't want to be completely slaughtered by mobs of Ganados, gang-raped by Novistadors or dominated by a boss in mook's clothing!
All you need is a fully upgraded handgun of your choice, plenty of ammo, lots of health items and an assortment of grenades.

Try it...
You'll love it!

And if you already have, share your experiences below!

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
Well, I tried KNIFE "only" run, however I was forced to use Handgun in some situations (wooden boxes on the waterfall, before first El Gigante, fight with Salazar or defending Ashley etc.). Of course Ashley was in full armor, and my inventory was fyll of mixed herbs, and usually I escaped rather than started fight with enemies :) And you know what? Even fight with Verdugo or Saddler weren't very difficult, so it can be done :)

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
Might try this. I can already see some parts being incredibly annoying, like shooting the chain off of Ashley.

KevinStriker

And then there are people who do No Merchant runs, meaning they nothing but their standard handgun with no upgrades.
Or knife only runs of this game, only using the handgun when absolutely necessary (The Salazar Fight). I shudder at the idea.

wanderer

battle master
i think i still remember fighting salazar with red9. i think it was 22 shots to the body. or it could have been 40 shots. its been years.

AdaWait

I'm more worried about fighting Krouser with with a knife only. He's a pain in the ass with normal weapons, using a knife would be difficult on him. Not only is he hard to down, he does stupid damage, AND there is a timer.

Has anyone figured out how much damage the knife actually does? All weapons are on the same scale, so the knife should be somewhere along that spectrum. I'm guessing it's roughly the same damage as the first handgun.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I'm more worried about fighting Krouser with with a knife only. He's a pain in the ass with normal weapons, using a knife would be difficult on him. Not only is he hard to down, he does stupid damage, AND there is a timer.

Has anyone figured out how much damage the knife actually does? All weapons are on the same scale, so the knife should be somewhere along that spectrum. I'm guessing it's roughly the same damage as the first handgun.
Against Krauser, the knife is the best way to fight him as it does a lot of damage to him and is the fastest way to kill him, more than any of the handguns, shotguns, sniper rifles, or TMP will do to him (I don't know about magnums since I've only used a magnum on him once and that was during my first time after I used most of my other ammo). I forgot how many knife hits it takes, but I do know that after only a few hits with the knife, he dies. And this is for both the main game and Assignment Ada (I forgot if he appears in Separate Ways since it has been forever since I last played RE4).

AdaWait

The no heal thing might be hard. I would also try the one life play though, although I've played the game so many times I almost never die. The only times where I might die on Pro is at the boulders and if I'm careless with the sea monster thing.

KevinStriker

*ahem*

Sooooo many no death runs on Professional ruined by this Grey Fox wannabe motherf*cker.

AdaWait

LMAO. That knife fight was probably the most badass thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Also, what is U3 that you are referring to? I don't recall.

AdaWait

Oh really? I don't recall that...I remember he referred to "it" as "it" but I don't remember U3 at all.

KevinStriker

I suppose it's just Capcom's official name for him. Kind of like how Merchant is actually "The Arms Dealer", but I don't know anyone who doesn't call him the Merchant.

AdaWait

Ahhh I see. Yeah I always wondered what that guy's story was. Disappointed they replaced him in RE5 with just some cheap screen, really breaks immersion.

Top Bottom