• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 If RE6 was recived well..

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Yea the fanbase starts to annoy me too. I actually feel that most of those people claiming to be fans that only played the originals aren't really fans of the series. They don't keep up with the storyline etc.. as most people on this site do. All they look for is horror and if they don't find it they dismiss the game completley.
It's not that people dismiss the game because they don't find sufficient horror, any horror can't just be RE. What happened to RE 6 is what would have happened if a major installment strays too far from its series core and horror/survival horror happens to be a part of it. I remember Capcom once hinted that RE 6 would return to RE roots however I'm sure gamers/consumers nowadays are critical and that resulted in RE 6's horror receptions and debut sales (RE 6 had horror too but not in a good way). RE 7 came out not to shut some people up but to get the series back on track. And they realized that they couldn't repeat the same mistakes, as doing so would be another nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
It's not that people dismiss the game because they don't find sufficient horror, any horror can't just be RE. What happened to RE 6 is what would have happened if a major installment strays too far from its series core and horror/survival horror happens to be a part of it. I remember Capcom once hinted that RE 6 would return to RE roots however I'm sure gamers/consumers nowadays are critical and that resulted in RE 6's horror receptions and debut sales (RE 6 had horror too but not in a good way). RE 7 came out not to shut some people up but to get the series back on track. And they realized that they couldn't repeat the same mistakes, as doing so would be another nail in the coffin.
I don't believe this is the case. RE5 and 6 sold VERY well. It's on Capcom's 1st AND 2nd most sold Resident Evil game. Profit-wise, there is absolutely no reason to go back to the horror route.

Now, if they "Want to go back to their roots." Is a different story.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I don't believe this is the case. RE5 and 6 sold VERY well. It's on Capcom's 1st AND 2nd most sold Resident Evil game. Profit-wise, there is absolutely no reason to go back to the horror route.

I've actually wondered why they did a 180 myself. Despite being a "failure", Capcom must've realized that 6 sold very well, and from a business perspective I don't think it makes sense to change what's working because people claim to be unhappy. Numbers don't lie as they say.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I've actually wondered why they did a 180 myself. Despite being a "failure", Capcom must've realized that 6 sold very well, and from a business perspective I don't think it makes sense to change what's working because people claim to be unhappy. Numbers don't lie as they say.
As I've said before. To shut their annoying fans up.

Capcom's Fanbase is one of the worst ones out there with about 85% crying for a "True RE game." the moment a new one hits the shelf. So my guess is the devs themselves are sick of these guys crying and just went horror so the children can sit down for once.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania

Sure RE 6 is 2nd most sold, but you have to consider the game's age and price cut, RE 7 is not the list yet because they haven't updated the page. Now RE 7 has sold over 3M and it's barely a month old, on track to reach the official projection unlike its predecessor that failed to do it twice. Of course RE 6 had already balanced its budget and made profit and so has RE 7 but if they made RE 7 another entry that lost resemblance to its origins it wouldn't do as much as how RE 7 is doing now based on the backlash caused by the previous installment and the fact that they couldn't maximize RE 6's profit.

As I've said before. To shut their annoying fans up.

Capcom's Fanbase is one of the worst ones out there with about 85% crying for a "True RE game." the moment a new one hits the shelf. So my guess is the devs themselves are sick of these guys crying and just went horror so the children can sit down for once.
Oh really, 85% is a vast majority, but unlike the 15% vocal minority at least they got it right when it comes to the direction of the series (not directed by Michael Bay with wrestling moves). In an interview Capcom stated "...what the fans wanted and we wanted to do next matched up" "..internally we also felt this is the time for us to just take a step back and re-evaluate what survival horror and Resident Evil means to us." "At the end of the day we settled on the fact that Resident Evil really is a franchise based around horror." So I guess Capcom wanted to shut themselves too, yea right :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Sure RE 6 is 2nd most sold, but you have to consider the game's age and price cut, RE 7 is not the list yet because they haven't updated the page. Now RE 7 has sold over 3M and it's barely a month old, on track to reach the official projection unlike its predecessor that failed to do it twice. Of course RE 6 had already balanced its budget and made profit and so has RE 7 but if they made RE 7 another entry that lost resemblance to its origins it wouldn't do as much as how RE 7 is doing now based on the backlash caused by the previous installment and the fact that they couldn't maximize RE 6's profit.

Oh really, 85% is a vast majority, but unlike the 15% vocal minority at least they got it right when it comes to the direction of the series (not directed by Michael Bay with wrestling moves). In an interview Capcom stated "...what the fans wanted and we wanted to do next matched up" "..internally we also felt this is the time for us to just take a step back and re-evaluate what survival horror and Resident Evil means to us." "At the end of the day we settled on the fact that Resident Evil really is a franchise based around horror." So I guess Capcom wanted to shut themselves too, yea right :rolleyes:.

Depends on the type of game. Another RE5 where they introduce a lot of tightly made mechanics and really fun gameplay that game could also sell. (But you never know with how bipolar gamers are today.)

Another Re6 COULD work if the story is decent. (Re6's story was very weak. But the gameplay was a solid 10/10.)

Now.

Are you going to tell the people who buy your stuff; "You guys are all stupidly annoying and one of the worst annoyances we've ever to cater to."

No. Because you would feel the burn in the first few minutes. And I don't know about you but the action is more comical given that some of the **** you punch gets their heads blown off just by touching them and while the writing ain't that great it's still great casual fun. (Bless Re5 & 6 for that factor.)

In fact, what was appealing about the old RE games no longer is. Insanely ridiculous puzzles that require you to reach Metroid Prime 2 levels of backtracking? Who in this day aside from those who grew up with the game want that? (And even then, some people don't like that style anymore. )
And you CANNOT have fixed OR tank controls. That's probs the biggest flaw of the old games. Their controls are such bloody garbage even when you know them.

And just because Re6 failed to meet projections does not make it a failure. Even if it didn't reach initial projections it eventually did.
Now. Since it didn't meet the devs projection it is considered a commercial failure. (Such is the same case with the Gamecube.)

Also worthy to note is the projections of RE7 are immensely smaller than Re5 & 6. Showing that Capcom didn't really have too much faith in the project. In fact RE5's was RAISED. And then crossed.

And if RE7 doesn't cross those projections RE will remain mainly action oriented.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
What really matters in terms of whether we consider re 6 a failure is how Capcom viewed it, because their response is ultimately what's going to shape the changes going forward, and they did view it as a failure.

I'm well aware of how annoying re fans can be, but I have a hard time believing that Capcom's going to do a total 180 because of some whiny kids on the IGN comment section. Every game has that. God only knows how many people trash cod games, saying stuff like how they're the same game year in and year out or that they should go back to what they did in the pre-black ops era, but guess what? They get ignored, and cod sales are still ridiculously high. They could've decided to revamp the series for a number of reasons, maybe it was the ****tering of their illusions of grandeur with sales of 6, maybe it was the trolls, maybe they were jumping on the bandwagon of other horror games (I'll throat punch the next person who says 7's an outlast/pt clone, but there are certain undeniably similarities), or maybe they wanted the people to draw comparisons to the retroactively ridiculously well received 4. It could be any number of these reasons or more, but I still don't really see a truly convincing reason for the turn they took.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
What really matters in terms of whether we consider re 6 a failure is how Capcom viewed it, because their response is ultimately what's going to shape the changes going forward, and they did view it as a failure.

I'm well aware of how annoying re fans can be, but I have a hard time believing that Capcom's going to do a total 180 because of some whiny kids on the IGN comment section. Every game has that. God only knows how many people trash cod games, saying stuff like how they're the same game year in and year out or that they should go back to what they did in the pre-black ops era, but guess what? They get ignored, and cod sales are still ridiculously high. They could've decided to revamp the series for a number of reasons, maybe it was the ****tering of their illusions of grandeur with sales of 6, maybe it was the trolls, maybe they were jumping on the bandwagon of other horror games (I'll throat punch the next person who says 7's an outlast/pt clone, but there are certain undeniably similarities), or maybe they wanted the people to draw comparisons to the retroactively ridiculously well received 4. It could be any number of these reasons or more, but I still don't really see a truly convincing reason for the turn they took.
Except even with COD it got to the point where they are going back to pre-sci fi games because people are complaining way too much there too. Also it's not just IGN.

Kotaku, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, Steam, Forums, Discord, IGN, Etc.

Literally at every turn there is someone talking some mad ****. Of course you can ignore it for a while. But if it reaches the point where no matter where you go you see people talking some mad crap over something you poured in hundreds of hours and work into I can guarantee you that you WILL feel some irritation. And with how the gaming industry is becoming with tons of shady crap in the background the motivation and will to make something your 'fans' want are drowned out by what the devs want to do.

These can go two ways.

Companies can listen to fans and risk having those same fans go "SUPERIOR TRASH TALK!" Because it isn't what THEY specifically want. (While only aimed at that niche of fans and potentially have the game bomb.)

Or the Devs can do what THEY want to do and ignore the fans in hopes it draws in some new ones and please the more reasonable old fans.

A lot of game devs go the latter route because the 'Old fans' are a bunch of **** stains. The shift in RE came from trying to keep the game fresh and relevant as they felt that what they did before wasn't going to cut it. And they were right. Of course they ended up ****ing fans of the older games off, but in turn they got new fans. (I am one of those. I don't particularly like the older games as much as I do the more actiony games. Yet, I still do. But I would not have bothered with the series if it kept with that old crappy formula.)

These decisions led to making spin off games that more people can like. ORC is an example. (Every RE "Fan" hates that title because it ain't RE. But I love it. It took what I loved about RE and put it an entirely different type of genre one that was REALLY fun. Despite how buggy some mechanics and animations were.)

Again, ****ed off the older fans so they keep complaining, but this has been going on for years. I believe they've come to realise after RE6, that their only vocal fans are the little whining maggots that still feast on the corpses of old outdated games. You can't get rid of them, they make you money.

So again. What do you do?

You bend to their will so the crying will stop. Even if it's for a little while.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Except even with COD it got to the point where they are going back to pre-sci fi games because people are complaining way too much there too. Also it's not just IGN.

Kotaku, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, Steam, Forums, Discord, IGN, Etc.

Literally at every turn there is someone talking some mad ****. Of course you can ignore it for a while. But if it reaches the point where no matter where you go you see people talking some mad crap over something you poured in hundreds of hours and work into I can guarantee you that you WILL feel some irritation. And with how the gaming industry is becoming with tons of shady crap in the background the motivation and will to make something your 'fans' want are drowned out by what the devs want to do.

These can go two ways.

Companies can listen to fans and risk having those same fans go "SUPERIOR TRASH TALK!" Because it isn't what THEY specifically want. (While only aimed at that niche of fans and potentially have the game bomb.)

Or the Devs can do what THEY want to do and ignore the fans in hopes it draws in some new ones and please the more reasonable old fans.

A lot of game devs go the latter route because the 'Old fans' are a bunch of **** stains. The shift in RE came from trying to keep the game fresh and relevant as they felt that what they did before wasn't going to cut it. And they were right. Of course they ended up ****ing fans of the older games off, but in turn they got new fans. (I am one of those. I don't particularly like the older games as much as I do the more actiony games. Yet, I still do. But I would not have bothered with the series if it kept with that old crappy formula.)

These decisions led to making spin off games that more people can like. ORC is an example. (Every RE "Fan" hates that title because it ain't RE. But I love it. It took what I loved about RE and put it an entirely different type of genre one that was REALLY fun. Despite how buggy some mechanics and animations were.)

Again, ****ed off the older fans so they keep complaining, but this has been going on for years. I believe they've come to realise after RE6, that their only vocal fans are the little whining maggots that still feast on the corpses of old outdated games. You can't get rid of them, they make you money.

So again. What do you do?

You bend to their will so the crying will stop. Even if it's for a little while.
IGN was just an example, but yeah I see your point. I certainly don't envy the position into which they've been placed. They've made enough different types of fans over the years that plenty of people are gonna hate whatever they put out there, but they still gotta try to please as many as possible.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
IGN was just an example, but yeah I see your point. I certainly don't envy the position into which they've been placed. They've made enough different types of fans over the years that plenty of people are gonna hate whatever they put out there, but they still gotta try to please as many as possible.
They actually don't.

But they do because they all make a difference.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Depends on the type of game. Another RE5 where they introduce a lot of tightly made mechanics and really fun gameplay that game could also sell. (But you never know with how bipolar gamers are today.)

Another Re6 COULD work if the story is decent. (Re6's story was very weak. But the gameplay was a solid 10/10.)

Now.

Are you going to tell the people who buy your stuff; "You guys are all stupidly annoying and one of the worst annoyances we've ever to cater to."

No. Because you would feel the burn in the first few minutes. And I don't know about you but the action is more comical given that some of the **** you punch gets their heads blown off just by touching them and while the writing ain't that great it's still great casual fun. (Bless Re5 & 6 for that factor.)

In fact, what was appealing about the old RE games no longer is. Insanely ridiculous puzzles that require you to reach Metroid Prime 2 levels of backtracking? Who in this day aside from those who grew up with the game want that? (And even then, some people don't like that style anymore. )
And you CANNOT have fixed OR tank controls. That's probs the biggest flaw of the old games. Their controls are such bloody garbage even when you know them.

And just because Re6 failed to meet projections does not make it a failure. Even if it didn't reach initial projections it eventually did.
Now. Since it didn't meet the devs projection it is considered a commercial failure. (Such is the same case with the Gamecube.)

Also worthy to note is the projections of RE7 are immensely smaller than Re5 & 6. Showing that Capcom didn't really have too much faith in the project. In fact RE5's was RAISED. And then crossed.

And if RE7 doesn't cross those projections RE will remain mainly action oriented.
A financial failure is still a type of failure and I'm not cherry picking it because it's an obvious thing about RE 6 no matter how you try to spin it. They didn't bend to anybody because when it comes to target audience it's a bad move to try to please everyone as it would end up pleasing nobody and that's what happened to RE 6 it backfired terribly on Capcom which also caused bad rep and distrust that RE 7 has to "carry". Now of course RE 7 is not 1:1 to classic games they adjusted it to modern era gaming and one good example of that is the autosaving feature or dynamic difficulty which old games lacked and that is why RE 7 feels "new and old RE" at the same time.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
A financial failure is still a type of failure and I'm not cherry picking it because it's an obvious thing about RE 6 no matter how you try to spin it. They didn't bend to anybody because when it comes to target audience it's a bad move to try to please everyone as it would end up pleasing nobody and that's what happened to RE 6 it backfired terribly on Capcom which also caused bad rep and distrust that RE 7 has to "carry". Now of course RE 7 is not 1:1 to classic games they adjusted it to modern era gaming and one good example of that is the autosaving feature or dynamic difficulty which old games lacked and that is why RE 7 feels "new and old RE" at the same time.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Also. That's subjective. It is only truly a failure if the devs believe it to be so. The creators are the only ones who are given that right. (Unless it's a sentient being but that's for another day.)

Re6, by the devs is NOT considered a failure. But they won't comment on it as if they did, they would get backlash for it. (Like they did before it was released.)
And they do. "Targeting an audience." IS bending to their will. You are specifically making it that way so that these people will primarily like it.

Re6's case is a bit different as it wanted to be for everyone which is not something easily achieved. But usually, you target one or two groups of people.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Also. That's subjective. It is only truly a failure if the devs believe it to be so. The creators are the only ones who are given that right. (Unless it's a sentient being but that's for another day.)

Re6, by the devs is NOT considered a failure. But they won't comment on it as if they did, they would get backlash for it. (Like they did before it was released.)
And they do. "Targeting an audience." IS bending to their will. You are specifically making it that way so that these people will primarily like it.

Re6's case is a bit different as it wanted to be for everyone which is not something easily achieved. But usually, you target one or two groups of people.
It would be more plausible to conclude something based on numbers/facts rather than its reception although opinions matter as well but it's not everything. It's not "bending to anyone's will" if what the devs and fans desire are on the same page, there has to be a conflict of interest between the two sides and one "granted" the other's demand to be considered "bending" but in RE 7 case there wasn't any. There's a recent translation of RE 7 inside report that's included in RE 7 JP complete edition which reveals that after RE 6 the series was in trouble and they needed to "fix" it and obviously they wouln't be able to do that had they chose the same RE 6 route.

Last edited:

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
It would be more plausible to conclude something based on numbers/facts rather than its reception although opinions matter as well but it's not everything. It's not "bending to anyone's will" if what the devs and fans desire are on the same page, there has to be a conflict of interest between the two sides and one "granted" the other's demand to be considered "bending" but in RE 7 case there wasn't any. There's a recent translation of RE 7 inside report that's included in RE 7 JP complete edition which reveals that after RE 6 the series was in trouble and they needed to "fix" it and obviously they wouln't be able to do that had they chose the same RE 6 route.
However, should they have said anything any different they would've had their "fans" down their damn throat about it.

The moment anything about an RE that ISN'T Survival Horror the RE fanbase jumps on them like a pack of hungry hyenas. So if they don't make it sound like they hate the more actiony RE (Even though they probably don't.) They get swarmed by complaints. Which how often people trash talk them also affects the company's reputation. Which influences their sales in everything.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
resident evil 7 is the most true resident evil since mikami left, people who prefer 6 over 7 are actually not real resident evil fans, thats just a fact, not an opinion, its okay to like resident evil 6 and still be a resident evil fan, but saying 6 is great and 7 is crap is something a real fan would never do

Not really...
I've been fan of Resident Evil ever since and I enjoyed every game they released, even ORC, each game is great in it's own way...
So yeah, I'd say I'm a true Resident Evil fan even tho I don't like RE7 yes I said it, I didn't like Resident Evil 7 gameplay, RE6 had much better gameplay but terrible story, and Resident Evil 7 is diff, I somewhat liked story, but not the gameplay. I don't like first person games in general and it didn't feel like Resident Evil to me.
But now I'm worried every next installment that comes could be the first person since many liked RE7
I'm so against first person and I hope it will stay on track with Revelations 2

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I'm still convinced that they did this as a sort of shock to the system like "hey we're serious this time" and then going forward they'll dial it back using more familiar gameplay and characters. Idk though, well obviously, but I also hope they don't continue this trend, not because I didn't like it (I really did), but it would likely signal the death of Mercs and I would not be okay with that.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I'm still convinced that they did this as a sort of shock to the system like "hey we're serious this time" and then going forward they'll dial it back using more familiar gameplay and characters. Idk though, well obviously, but I also hope they don't continue this trend, not because I didn't like it (I really did), but it would likely signal the death of Mercs and I would not be okay with that.
I've been preaching for a console Mercs for a long time.

If Merc ends so will my interest in the series tbh.

black 93

I've been preaching for a console Mercs for a long time.

If Merc ends so will my interest in the series tbh.
Capcom should release a game like Merc's 3D on current gen. Every character, with every previous costume, make new costumes too, new characters thst haven't been included in mercs before like Richard Aiken, Forest speyer, Billy Coen, Carlos, Nicholai ( yes i know they were included in the RE3 mercs but not with the current style of mercs) etc. Every previous map from 4,5 & 6 mercs, make new maps like the Spencer Mansion, RPD, the clocktower, hospital and Park from RE3, Alfred's mansion, the training facilty from Zero etc. And make new stipulation's like every time you get up to a 50 combo, drop a tyrant or Nemesis or Birkin in on you for a ton more points! Id pay for that Capcom.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
However, should they have said anything any different they would've had their "fans" down their damn throat about it.

The moment anything about an RE that ISN'T Survival Horror the RE fanbase jumps on them like a pack of hungry hyenas. So if they don't make it sound like they hate the more actiony RE (Even though they probably don't.) They get swarmed by complaints. Which how often people trash talk them also affects the company's reputation. Which influences their sales in everything.
You could say the same thing about other gaming series, make the next Grand Theft Auto not open world and you would have the same reaction, it's a natural thing and you're trying to make it seem more negative. It's not trash talk because devs and fans agree that RE 6's "one size fits all" did not work so they made RE 7 abandon that direction and it resulted in better reception and sales so far.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Capcom should release a game like Merc's 3D on current gen. Every character, with every previous costume, make new costumes too, new characters thst haven't been included in mercs before like Richard Aiken, Forest speyer, Billy Coen, Carlos, Nicholai ( yes i know they were included in the RE3 mercs but not with the current style of mercs) etc. Every previous map from 4,5 & 6 mercs, make new maps like the Spencer Mansion, RPD, the clocktower, hospital and Park from RE3, Alfred's mansion, the training facilty from Zero etc. And make new stipulation's like every time you get up to a 50 combo, drop a tyrant or Nemesis or Birkin in on you for a ton more points! Id pay for that Capcom.
I would buy that **** day one no questions asked.

You could say the same thing about other gaming series, make the next Grand Theft Auto not open world and you would have the same reaction, it's a natural thing and you're trying to make it seem more negative. It's not trash talk because devs and fans agree that RE 6's "one size fits all" did not work so they made RE 7 abandon that direction and it resulted in better reception and sales so far.

Really? A game like GTA had negative feedback? Such a series going open world was a monumental step up from GTA4.

And while I believe the fans had that reaction maybe not so much its devs. I seemed to recall they enjoyed it. But they quickly shut up as again. They got flak for saying such things.

Top Bottom