• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I want to play a resident evil turn based strategy game

Conanrico

I’m a big fan of xcom. It’s a strategy game that dares you to play smart and careful. With Ironman option enabled, every choice you make is permanent. This means that when soldiers die, they stay dead and all effort you put in them is lost.
Xcom2 on pc has resident evil mods ( which I’m playing at the moment)
Now what if Capcom would create their own resident evil strategy game? I’d play the hell out of it.
This lends itself pretty well to the survival horror genre in my opinion.
Capcom? If you’re listening :)

Turo602

The King of Kings
I never cared for turn based strategy games, but this is actually a really great idea that I wish Capcom could consider more often for their spin-offs as a way of attracting different types of gamers to the franchise rather than using every new entry as a test to entice more sales. Operation Raccoon City would have been the perfect template for a strategy game and would have probably been way more worthwhile than what we ended up with.

Ikawaru

Turn-based "grid" type games kinda go against the essence of the Survival Horror genre, so I can't really say I'd welcome it, because it would kinda feel like it's diluting or parodying the franchise a little bit.

Conanrico

Turn-based "grid" type games kinda go against the essence of the Survival Horror genre, so I can't really say I'd welcome it, because it would kinda feel like it's diluting or parodying the franchise a little bit.
If you can you should give xcom enemy within a try. Then tell me if it feels like parodying the survival genre. That game does a great job at staying atmospheric while being turn based. But I get your point because I thought about that before. How to remain close to that survival horror feel while doing a slow paced, think about every move, risk versus reward type game as xcom.

Ikawaru

If you can you should give xcom enemy within a try. Then tell me if it feels like parodying the survival genre. That game does a great job at staying atmospheric while being turn based. But I get your point because I thought about that before. How to remain close to that survival horror feel while doing a slow paced, think about every move, risk versus reward type game as xcom.

I tried XCOM 2 not long ago and I got bored with it pretty quickly, as the gameplay struck me as repetitive, and that's acknowledging the fact that it's not a bad game in its own right, just not really my cup of tea, to each their own.

If Capcom ever tried RE with that particular genre, I would wait for a steep discount on Steam to try it out and hope they can manage it in a way that sets it as distinctly compatible with the franchise, and design it in a way that keeps longtime fans interested all the way through.

Unlikely, but not impossible.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Make it less like XCOM (w/ the base mgmt and random characters) and more like Fire Emblem, and I'd be 100% down.

...okay, maybe LIGHT base mgmt...and random characters maybe okay. Depends how it's done.

Rhylus

I've just found this post and I've been thinking on this for a while. Here's how I see it.
Using the survivors from the outbreak series we play through some choice levels from file #1 and file #2 as the tutorial. Maybe some hero missions in raccoon to bring Re 2 and 3 into the mix a little.
Fast forward, terra-save and the BSAA are formed and you lead missions with non-canon characters from each organisation who have their own abilities and classes. Both factions have their strengths based on mission types; offensive, defensive, investigation, infiltration. In all the missions ammo and load out is limited as per RE fashion.

Hot zones can allow for mercenary missions that don't follow the main plot but run a risk vs reward situation. Each character has the potential to acquire positive and negative behaviours, strengths and traumas which are more likely to occur when on mercenary missions.

I think mixing all of these features can maintain the survival horror facets common to RE as well as adding new risks to keep the tension in a turn based strategy genre.

*and breath*

Top Bottom