• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How does Capcom stack up to other companies in your eyes these days?

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I went through many different opinions about this company over the years. And recently they have ended up here:

The Shining Light in these putrid hellhole we call the video game industry.
When I looked at their past games starting from 4 and how the games since that time have changed I can say one thing.

They hold true to their quality. (Aside from Re6 of course)
For me Re4 was pretty fun. Had a really good amount of replayability, atmosphere, pacing, etc.

In my eyes it was a new direction games could take. While not the best I'd say it was up there.

RE5 was a step up in gameplay and replayability. And the mechanics were the most solid that it still is my No.1 game in which had the best mechanics.
And Mercenaries.
Oh boi. I can't describe the bliss I felt playing that mode. With that catchy ass music to boot.

I'm kinda biased on 5 I love it so much. I mean it's STILL my favorite game in history. The Mercenaries and Vs Mode were so fun. I met so many friends on it. I joined this forum because RE5 had introduced me to this series one that I can enjoy, both older and newer.

(Except Re1. That was Far Cry 2 level of bloody boring.)

I personally believed that RE5 had stacked up evenly. That game was the average. If your wasn't more fun than Re5 then your game pretty much sucked.

RE6 I would have to say was a step down. Even though it added more to the game, It was kinda forced as compared to the others.

Now, While I would say it was a step down in quality for RE at the time. I still rate it higher than other games becase the quality during that year was so bad I only bought 3 games that entire year. And I usually average around 10 a year. (Counting Sales, Small Priced games, Gifts.)

Not only that. The new DLC practice came to fruituition. And while I can still give RE6 ****. At least they stuck by the same DLC practice. All DLC is an expansion to their current game.

So how do you guys feel?

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I don't think they hold a cup of water to almost any other developer these days.
EA is the game company I despise the most due to their money-grubbing nature and even they consistently churn out a decent game on time per budget. Capcom has relatively large staff, licenses to many great franchises, and the capability to fund a large-scale project. They've yet to do anything huge apart from Street Fighter, MvC, or Resident Evil in the better part of a decade.

Lost Planet never had much staying power (it was a cool game when it first came out) yet they funded 2 sequels.
Remember Me was a great game that was far too underhyped.
Most everything else they put out in the last 5 years that wasn't SF, MvC, or RE was
A) A handheld game (PSP isn't a bad system, but there is no denying the 3DS reigns supreme and gets more sales to its titles)
-It's also worth mentioning they have no problem releasing games for Nintendo systems eg Monster Hunter Tri
B) A remake/remaster of a game they made already
C) A standalone title that didn't get far.
Source

I don't blame Capcom as a whole or their creative team. I think they have a very special management elite and are far too disconnected from their fans; let alone what their fans want. They have the franchises and the following to be literally on top but they need to pull their heads out of their you-know-whats to do it. The only market they own is fighting games (runner-up: Nether Realm) and that's a very niche market. It doesn't get them the fame or recognition that a new, well-crafted RPG or FPS would. They are struggling to adapt and it is showing.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
^ I agree with what was said above and to add something on a more personal level, I'm just mad as hell for no Devil May Cry. Falls under the "being disconnected from their fans" thing.

Top Bottom