• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 How Do You Use the TMP?

How do you utilize the TMP?

• I don't use the TMP

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Use TMP instead of Handgun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use TMP instead of Shotgun

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Use TMP with both

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Murrdogg93

I know there are people who don't use the TMP. I personally haven't. But I've heard some people do. I know a friend liked using it as crowd control instead of a shotgun.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
None of the above, I guess? I use the TMP for specific situations like the minecart section and killing problem enemies, meaning I have it for most of the game alongside my Red9, Striker and Semi-auto Rifle (I sell the Broken Butterfly you can find in the Castle).
By the time I reach the Island, that's when I sell it for cash and space in my inventory.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I suppose I use the TMP rather than my general handgun in most situations, but I keep all of the weaponry available. I will throw away grenades and health before getting rid of weapons and ammo. I don't think the TMP is the most useful weapon in the game, but it is better than most of the handguns ESPECIALLY in a quick pinch.

Murrdogg93

I suppose I use the TMP rather than my general handgun in most situations, but I keep all of the weaponry available. I will throw away grenades and health before getting rid of weapons and ammo. I don't think the TMP is the most useful weapon in the game, but it is better than most of the handguns ESPECIALLY in a quick pinch.
Forgot to add that option, using TMP with both weapon types. I intended to. It's there now.

Murrdogg93

None of the above, I guess? I use the TMP for specific situations like the minecart section and killing problem enemies, meaning I have it for most of the game alongside my Red9, Striker and Semi-auto Rifle (I sell the Broken Butterfly you can find in the Castle).
By the time I reach the Island, that's when I sell it for cash and space in my inventory.
Seems odd. I mean if you didn't buy it, you'd get more ammo for your other weapons. So if you only use it in very few moments, you can just theoretically use the other weapons.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
My use of the TMP is conditional, usually on ammo availability. The handgun that you are given from the start is very good, especially when tuned up all the way, so I would never replace the handgun with it. The shotgun is very necessary (in my opinion) in Professional mode and so I wouldn't replace it either. That being said, I use the shotgun pretty strategically, mostly in boss fights, when I'm surrounded by parasites with no flash bangs, or when I have no other ammo.

I don't generally prefer to use machine pistols unless I'm playing a game with top notch melee ability to supplement it's function, which is to be used in short bursts (it kills me when when people spray and pray) to subdue the target temporarily in order to finish them with melee attacks.

At the end of the day, my favorite gun is and always will be the bolt action rifle and it's not uncommon for me to use it, along with a sidearm, through the entire playthrough. That sidearm is usually not the TMP.

Mr.R

I also don't throw away weapons. I prefer to throw away grenades if I need to, or even health (or ammo, if it's too much. For example, I might throw away handgun bullets if I have two maxed out boxes).
My use of the TMP is sporadic. It can be good for a quick fix, but it's mostly especially good against certain bosses (The El Gigante, Bitorez, Ramon's eyeball. It's also good against the Verdugo, if he didn't died with all of the canisters and Magnum shots, you can spray some TMP on him and he'll be dead in no time.). In all truth, the TMP loses most of its importance (In my playthroughs) when I get to the island, but I keep with me for emergencies.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I usually use the TMP just because, to see the enemies do a silly dance. For some reason I use it more than the shotguns

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I just repeated this on another thread - but the TMP is so much better than anyone has really given it credit for. It is way stronger for direct damage than any shotgun if you have a full clip to spend. I mean, that could be because I use the Striker which doesn't do much for range - but still, it helps to manage the different attack types in the game. And if you're conservative with your shots, you can make ammo in the TMP last forever.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
This discussion brings back memories, nice. :smile:

It's around 8 years since I played RE4 and I do remember using the TMP on at least some of the play thoughs. I think this gun became available pretty early in the game? I seem to remember using it against a big troll, probably the monster called El Gigante.

But I liked to keep my accuracy at 100% and that's not easy with a bullet spraycan like the TMP. (Not too easy with a shotgun either as I recall it.) So my use of the TMP was very limited, think I always ended up selling it later in the game to get room for other things.

I sell the Broken Butterfly you can find in the Castle
How can you sell this awesome handgun? The magazine upgrade was idiotic (it's a revolver) but I loved the Butterfly. I found it better than the other magnum.

Wesker90

I have a habit of saving the TMP until I'm out of ammo with any other gun I may be using, Always felt they weren't really needed for some reason, Strangely I prefer the Handgun unless I'm outnumbered.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
How can you sell this awesome handgun? The magazine upgrade was idiotic (it's a revolver) but I loved the Butterfly. I found it better than the other magnum.

Because I'm a FOOL

I've also played the sh!t out of the game that I have it down to a science and the Magnum took up inventory space I wanted for handgun/shotgun ammo

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
And I believe I sold the TMP partially to make room for Butterfly ammo. I had many boxes of this ammo that was so good I could almost not use it. :lol:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The TMP is available very early, but it is hard to buy it when you have limited ammo space. In the mid game, it is nice to have versus tougher enemies who you can unload on. Also, it is nice in that cart section because the enemies are all in a row.

I also always sell the Broken Butterfly. I use the initial clip up and upgrade it until the Killer 7 is available. But the Killer 7 is so much better. The Broken Butterfly takes so long to shoot and reload. I save Magnums for Boss battles pretty specifically when you need that extra action time.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I remember that wild underground cart ride, I think I used a shotgun there and possibly the Butterfly on some of the tougher mobs. The TMP makes sense there though, if you're not a fool like me who cares about 100% accuracy.

The Killer7 and the BB have the same rate of fire, 0.7 seconds (cannot be tuned). But the BB is much slower to reload yes.
The Killer7 have some advantages, i.e it's very powerful from the start, but it also can be tuned up only 2 times. The BB is much weaker from the start but it can be tuned up 6 times and gets more powerful than the Killer7. But the BB is slow to reload even at max level.

Maybe the above is why I preferred the BB over the Killer7 but I don't recall it now. But I do remember trying out the Killer7 and selling it because I liked the BB more.

I want to play RE4 again! But where is my PS2?

SaddlerFan

I never use the TMP. It messes up my accuracy rating, and I don't like the way it's being handled, the aiming is a little weird. Just not my thing.

Ikawaru

Crap weapon. Never used it seriously. Sorry.

Once I discovered that the most effective weapons to use were the standard weapons (Handgun, Shotgun, Sniper) fully upgraded it seemed literally pointless to use anything else. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom