• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Help Determining Rarity of this Resident Evil 1 Windows 95 CD-Rom Game

Steve Wonda

What's up guys & gals? First time here. I'm a long time RE fanatic as I'm sure most of you are too!

So I scored a giant tote of PC games for free a few days ago. About 200 total, all from the 90s and many big box versions, some still sealed. I’ve already done some research on eBay and I have quite a few easily worth $30 and much higher.

This Resident Evil one caught my eye quickly as I’m a big fan of the franchise. I didn’t think it was anything special but figured I’d look up its the value. At this point I’ve searched the web as much as I possibly can and cannot find the same one, disc or cover art. I have found the same back insert image though.

When it’s in my optical drive it shows up as RE_ASIA so I know it’s an Asian version of the game. I’ve Googled the hell out of the CPC.BI0D1 product code on the back of the case with minimal results. But it’s the actual disc that’s been impossible to find anywhere. I’ve Googled the CAP. X3-01 code and haven’t found anything about it. I also find it odd that the back insert says CAPCOM CO., LTD. 1996, 1997, but the disc says 1995, 1997.

While the inserts have some wear and yellowing the disc is so close to being absolutely mint. I’ve seen other common versions of RE1 for PC sell for decent amounts so I’m thinking this has to be worth a good amount more.

Please share your thoughts and any info would be awesome. Here’s some pics. Thanks in advance!

Rzc7uk0.jpg
73XoSxn.jpg
2kWE22G.jpg
TvUJN6X.jpg
WmhTfm7.jpg
Cwat7XD.png

RECollector1987

Hey Romero,

As an amateur collector of RE games and merch I would probably point out that if this was indeed the Asian version it’s likely the game would be called “Biohazard” I could be wrong as I only collect console editions of the games but all my NTSC (Japanese/Asian) copies of any RE games are called Biohazard.

You could check by installing some VMware on your pc and installing windows 95 and then installing the game.

Either way it looks like it’s in decent nick so even as a US/European copy it may be worth something. Although I’m really not good at valuing the games as I tend to keep all mine.

Hopefully this info might be useful to you.

Steve Wonda

Hey Romero,

As an amateur collector of RE games and merch I would probably point out that if this was indeed the Asian version it’s likely the game would be called “Biohazard” I could be wrong as I only collect console editions of the games but all my NTSC (Japanese/Asian) copies of any RE games are called Biohazard.

You could check by installing some VMware on your pc and installing windows 95 and then installing the game.

Either way it looks like it’s in decent nick so even as a US/European copy it may be worth something. Although I’m really not good at valuing the games as I tend to keep all mine.

Hopefully this info might be useful to you.
Thanks for the reply. And I'm Steve Wonda, not Romero, Romero had liked my post, thats why his name was at the bottom.

I'm aware that Asian copies should be called Biohazard. That's what's really odd about this one. If you look at the rear of the front insert booklet it does say Capcom Asia. And when the disc is in my optical drive is shows up as RE_ASIA. I might just go ahead and try to install some VMware to see what's up with this. I still find it odd that I can't find an image of this exact disc on the web. I'm very good with finding just about anything online and this ones got me stumped. I'm thinking it could possibly be some sort of misprint or factory error. If I do manage to get it installed I will post back and share my findings.

Thanks again.

Steve Wonda

Oops sorry Steve :biggrin: did I mention I’m new on here and I’m viewing this on my phone not my laptop haha let me know how u get on!
It's ok, I'm new here too. My first time ever being here was 2 nights ago when I signed up to ask about this. Glad to see there are some friendly members here, and I have a guy newer than me trying to help me out ha ha. Seems like a forum I'll be visiting often.

I forgot to mention something. An internet buddy of mine from another gaming forum([email protected]) was able to find this CAP.X3-01 disc dump info at redump.org yesterday. The matrix mastering code information is the same as my disc. Which confirms it's Asian region with English language. Link: http://redump.org/disc/31972/

Ok so I just went ahead and tried to install it on my Win 10 PC, just to see what would happen. And no, I haven't installed any VMware. It installed but I got an error about directx or something like that, but let's not worry about that. While I can't get the game to even try to launch it did create a folder in Program Files(x86) named RESIDENT EVIL, in that folder is a folder named USA, in that folder there are obviously many others. I'm able to play the audio files in the Voice folder with VLC media player and they're English language as I expected.

Not really sure what else I can learn about this at this point. I'm just glad I got the tote of games before it made it's way to the dump. I was originally going to pick up some free PC towers/peripherals that were left behind at a rental property my brother in law's mom owns. I was told the stuff was probably 5-10 years old and when I got to the location they were all ancient white(now almost yellow) dinosaurs from the 80s & very early 90s. I passed on them but when she asked if I wanted a tote with some old software in it I said sure, I'll take it just to help get something out of this place for you. Glad I did. I'm a big Half-Life fan and while I have all of them on Steam I never had the physical copies and now I do, with a lot of expansion discs too.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I don't think it's all that unusual for the rest of East Asia to have different, more Americanized variants of games and consoles from Japan.
I mean, China, Korea and Hong Kong got these:
asian.jpg
A6CE7299-B96B-E967-228942E1A2F5A69F.jpg

And you can order games from China through Play-Asia that contain English text and language tracks that are otherwise unavailable in Japan

Steve Wonda

I don't think it's all that unusual for the rest of East Asia to have different, more Americanized variants of games and consoles from Japan.
And you can order games from China through Play-Asia that contain English text and language tracks that are otherwise unavailable in Japan
I know that. It's just that if you try finding another one of the exact copy I have it's pretty much impossible. I sell a lot of rare and hard to find stuff so I'm always searching the web to find others to compare mine to. I'm always able to at least find a couple completed eBay listings or images of the item at a collector site etc... I still can't find any images online of the disc or cover art in jewel case like the one I have here. This is Resident Evil we're talking about, a very popular franchise, so I still find it kind of crazy that no one else has ever uploaded images of this version. That to me tells me it has to be at least a fairly rare version of the game. The last time I had something like this it was a mid 90s west coast gangster rap CD that I ended up getting close to $200 for on eBay, and in my opinion it was garbage. I'm more just glad I saved the tote of games from making their way to the dump.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I'm not an expert on this, however I remember reading somewhere that what the disc says in your optical drive has nothing to do with its country of release. So in this case "RE_ASIA" may simply mean that the disc itself was burned in Asia but sold and marketed to a European country, for example.

Steve Wonda

I'm not an expert on this, however I remember reading somewhere that what the disc says in your optical drive has nothing to do with its country of release. So in this case "RE_ASIA" may simply mean that the disc itself was burned in Asia but sold and marketed to a European country, for example.
That's accurate. I did manage to get it installed and in program files(x86) in the Resident Evil folder is a folder titled USA with all the game files/folders so it is that version of the game. Still a rare find with this cover art and disc graphic.

psiko76

Hi to all.
I'm new in dire, I'm an Italian videogame collector.
In my collection I have a perfect boxed version of this version of resident evil 1 PC version.
I check in the web some information about this version....is this a version windows 95 only, based on uncut Japanese version?
Thanks for all the help and sorry for my bad English.

Steve Wonda

Hi to all.
I'm new in dire, I'm an Italian videogame collector.
In my collection I have a perfect boxed version of this version of resident evil 1 PC version.
I check in the web some information about this version....is this a version windows 95 only, based on uncut Japanese version?
Thanks for all the help and sorry for my bad English.
I don't know if it's 95 only or based on the uncut Japanese version. Just like you, I have spent many hours trying to find info about this exact release and haven't found much info on it. If you find anything out please let me know. I still have mine and would like to sell it but would like to figure out what a fair price for a buyer and myself would be.

psiko76

Mh...from what I see for example looking at the covers of the various versions present on mobygames, mine is the same as the Japanese one, but translated into English!
The front of the box, with the eye, is also the same, but instead of "Biohazard" it has the inscription "resident evil".
I'm trying to post photos of the box, but it seems that in this site it is not possible to attach images from the pc, but only from sites... So do I have to load them from imageshack or the like?

So you tried the game, and it's in English?
It would be curious to compare it with the American version, to know if it is translated in the same way or not.
As a pc collector, I can tell you that in my opinion, being a very rare version, it has a higher value than the American standard, even just to have the Japanese cover with English writings...

Steve Wonda

It's been a while since I started this topic, uploaded any images here or attempted to load or play the game itself. But I think you do need to upload image to a site like imageshack, imgur etc... and post the links here. I would like to see your cover. It sounds like it's this one right here: https://www.crimson-ceremony.net/lostreleases/item.php?id=regame_re1-pc-asi1

I did manage to get it installed and it was in English. I didn't play it for long at all and really just wanted to make sure it was what it was supposed to be as I couldn't find another like it anywhere online. I ended up finding this info at this site which matches the mastering code on my disc: http://redump.org/disc/31972/

Yours is factory sealed I'm assuming?

psiko76

Exactly, it's the same version!
So this is the Asian version ... ok, curious that it's all in English.
No, it is not sealed, but like new, enclosed in a protective cellophane.
I've never tested it since I don't have a PC with Windows 95, nor did I want to install programs like virtual pc.
At least now we know what version we are talking about ... In that site there is no mention of his rarity, right?

gundstaff

Hello I'm from Brazil. I have Resident Evil 2 in the same situation as yours, made in Asia but in English, and I discovered something that may have help. It was very difficult to find information, but I found that mine is a version made in Hong Kong, it makes perfect sense as it is in Asia and English is practically an official language due to the UK administration in the past. I believe this is the way for you to discover this story. Interestingly, Hong Kong is written in the inner circle of the disk photo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I think this version is actually pretty rare since you didn't find almost anything about it on internet..

It's price could be very high

Steve Wonda

I think this version is actually pretty rare since you didn't find almost anything about it on internet..

It's price could be very high
Well it's still sitting here by me wrapped up very well to make sure it stays in the same condition. I've almost thrown it on eBay a few times now, but I don't want to go the auction way and see it sell for almost nothing. I'd rather keep it than let it go for say $20-30. And I also don't know what to set a buy it now price of as there's no others like it to compare it to.

If anybody on here has a fair value in mind please chime in. The fact is that I'm never actually going to play it. It's just going to sit here for who knows how long like the rest of my hoard of awesome stuff I don't touch or use often enough to justify keeping it haha.

D

Deleted member 21244

Well it's still sitting here by me wrapped up very well to make sure it stays in the same condition. I've almost thrown it on eBay a few times now, but I don't want to go the auction way and see it sell for almost nothing. I'd rather keep it than let it go for say $20-30. And I also don't know what to set a buy it now price of as there's no others like it to compare it to.

If anybody on here has a fair value in mind please chime in. The fact is that I'm never actually going to play it. It's just going to sit here for who knows how long like the rest of my hoard of awesome stuff I don't touch or use often enough to justify keeping it haha.
I m probably saying a buls**** but it's price could be very high, maybe around 100 or 200 dollar, so don't sell it for 20 dollar, keep it if you can't sell it

Top Bottom