• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Hard time deciding on what version to get.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Now, I want to get RE5 but I don't know what system to buy also. Ps3 or Xbox360? What system is better? or are they both equal when it comes to RE5? Does one have more features than the other? Does one have better picture or graphics? Give me the facts and your opinions on what system I should buy for RE5 and beyond (RE:ORC, RE6). I know.. I know, I should have had a new gen system years ago. I just never picked one up because I always watched my friend play em or hang out and play with him on his system. Now I want one of my own. Thnx.

KKAAIIG

Get it on PS3 because its awesome :D
and you don't have to pay to go online.
my psn is KKAAIIG if you ever need any help :)

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I am going to copy my post to a user a few days ago who also enquired about what system to get, and I will extend this to answer your questions.

Deciding between PS3 and XBox 360 depends on:
- if you're willing to pay for XBL (although XBL has a better online service than PSN)
- what exclusives you prefer (e.g. there's Metal Gear Solid, God of War, inFAMOUS, Little Big Planet and Uncharted on the PS3 but L4D, Halo and Gears of War on XBox 360).
- if you want to use the Blu-ray player aspect of the PS3 (both consoles play DVDs but PS3s play 2D and 3D Blu-rays)

There are no Resident Evil exclusives for either console, the only current disc release for them is Resident Evil 5 (I recommend you get Gold Edition if you want the extra costumes, online modes and story modes). Operation Raccoon City will be coming out for both consoles (sometime next year?) and yes, both Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica are being re-released in HD next month for both consoles. However, Resident Evil: Director's Cut is currently only downloadable from PlayStation Store (for about £8).

Both consoles can have their problems, but I've known PS3 to not have as many problems as an XBox 360. But they're both great consoles, I own a PS3 and my fiance owns an Xbox 360.

If you have spare cash: get some Resident Evil skins for your console on eBay!!

I wouldn't recommend selling your PS2 if you have PS2 games you want to play on it. PS2 games DO NOT work on the PS3 (PS1 and PS3 games do though, and it will also take DVDs and Blu-rays). You won't get much more than £20 for it.

I would recommend trying consoles first hand if you can. Try them at your friends' houses, see what feels best, what exclusives you prefer etc. What consoles do you friends have (if you want to play online you may want to get the same console as your friends so you can all play together)? Look at the exclusives' gameplay vids, what looks best to you?

I have a PS3 because I love to use the Blu-ray player, my friends/brother have PS3s, I don't have to pay for the online and I have grown up with the PlayStation. Although I LOVE L4D I prefer the PS3 exclusives, and in any case my fiance has an Xbox 360 so I just use his if I want to and he uses my PS3 :) that's just what works for me, not saying it will be the same for you! They are both great consoles :)

Christmas sales will be a great time to get them as shops usually have great console deals for the holidays. I got my 320GB PS3 last Christmas in a special deal at Argos (I sold on my old 40GB PS3) for about £285, and it included 2 free games, a compatible extra controller (which I sold on with my old PS3 - I already had a spare official controller :D) and a freeview converter thingy. I don't know if you're from the UK or not but I recommend, if you want to buy a console pre-owned, shops such as Game, Gamestation and CEX. I got my Wii from CEX and it works great :)

Make sure you have an HD-ready TV and HDMI cable to enjoy all the sexy HD-ness!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2asf8qHVqKM <-- comparison of graphics between Xbox 360 version and PS3 version of RE5.

RE5 is VERY similar graphics-wise on both systems, both have same features so it doesn't really matter which version you get. I recommend you buy RE5: Gold Edition which has more online features (Versus), modes (The Mercenaries Reunion), costume packs and two exclusive story chapters (Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape). If you buy the regular version you CAN buy this stuff on XBLA/PS Store as a downloadable add-on, I find that it's cheaper to buy Gold (it's about £15 now preowned) as it's all on the disc already. No download codes = no content lost to previous owner!

Hope this helps you out, it's really all about which console YOU prefer and what works best for you, so try and have a go with both, think about what features you'd prefer and don't listen to any biased fanboy rants :) If you need more help just ask!! If you do get a PS3 in the end, add me on PSN!

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Thnx, I'm thinking of really going with the ps3. I've been a playstation guy from the start anywayz.. back in 1996 I picked Playstation over Saturn. I can save room with the Blu-ray player being in the system also. Only thing I hate is not being able to play Ps2 games on it but oh well.. not a biggie really.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Thnx, I'm thinking of really going with the ps3. I've been a playstation guy from the start anywayz.. back in 1996 I picked Playstation over Saturn. I can save room with the Blu-ray player being in the system also. Only thing I hate is not being able to play Ps2 games on it but oh well.. not a biggie really.

PS2s cost peanuts now anyway, so buy one preowned for your PS2 games (that's what I did) and some games have been ported to PS Store (such as RE4 and RE:CVX this month!). Also you can buy RE: Director's Cut from the PS1 section of the store :) Have fun!

G-Viruse Infectee

The Ashford Twins. We really are twins.
their is no diffrece between ps3 and xbox360 graphic wise (comparing re5 game, i had re5 for ps3 i didnt like it but when i played it on my xbox360 i liked it) and plus ps3 was hacked and you get what you paid for, pay to play online get new things like t.v and other stuff i dont use where ps3 was hacked because they add stuff they promises just to take it away later on...... oh and move exactly like the wii remote exect bluetooth and more expensive where kenect is controller free and works great.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
PS2s cost peanuts now anyway, so buy one preowned for your PS2 games (that's what I did) and some games have been ported to PS Store (such as RE4 and RE:CVX this month!). Also you can buy RE: Director's Cut from the PS1 section of the store :) Have fun!
Cool, I gotz a Ps2 in my closet kuz I got my Cube hooked up at the moment:cool: But I gotta try to get Directors cut... gotta love the oldschool.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Cool, I gotz a Ps2 in my closet kuz I got my Cube hooked up at the moment:cool: But I gotta try to get Directors cut... gotta love the oldschool.

Check out the Playstation Plus thread I posted in the RE Discussion forum... there's going to be an offer in late September for US PS Plus users for half price RE4 and CVX HD, and also free to play for two weeks RE Director's Cut, RE2 and RE3 :) (found article about it on IGN) maybe get one soon to take advantage and subscribe to PS Plus?

Soothsayer

You should get the "Gold Edition" for the PlayStation 3, Because you can use the DLC in multiple files, it does have minor issues like the screen tearing but it's hardly noticeable, it also has free online so you can play with all your friends.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Check out the Playstation Plus thread I posted in the RE Discussion forum... there's going to be an offer in late September for US PS Plus users for half price RE4 and CVX HD, and also free to play for two weeks RE Director's Cut, RE2 and RE3 :) (found article about it on IGN) maybe get one soon to take advantage and subscribe to PS Plus?
Cool, I'll have to look into that thnx:cool:

You should get the "Gold Edition" for the PlayStation 3, Because you can use the DLC in multiple files, it does have minor issues like the screen tearing but it's hardly noticeable, it also has free online so you can play with all your friends.

Yeah, I'm gonna get the Gold Edition since it's real cheap nowdayz.:)

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
There really isn't any difference between games on 360 and ps3. Altho on the ps3 version of RE5 Gold Edition, they added ps move support. I would imagine that would have similar kinda controls to RE4 on wii.

G-Viruse Infectee

The Ashford Twins. We really are twins.
I agree people must think game compines would only make a game that only goes on one console and not max there profite by putting there game on all major consolse i am really fed up with people say xbox,ps3 is the best i have both so i can compare the same games on both consoles.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Update (to an old topic). I got my PS3 in Dec and beat RE5. Loved the game but I still think RE4 is WAY BETTER. Downloaded Lost In Nightmares and Despreate Escape aswell.. both were fun but not worth playing more than a couple times.

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
Update (to an old topic). I got my PS3 in Dec and beat RE5. Loved the game but I still think RE4 is WAY BETTER. Downloaded Lost In Nightmares and Despreate Escape aswell.. both were fun but not worth playing more than a couple times.
buy the gold edition its great!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Don't waste your money on the Gold Edition if you already have the 5th game plus have already downloaded content to it...All Gold Edition is is a version of the game with all the DLC already on the disc...So basically if you've already started downloading DLC for RE5 then Gold Edition will be a waste of your money...It really doesn't bring anything extra to the table once you've beaten RE5 a few times...It has a new version of mercs...But in my opinion, it's not as great as the one already on RE5...Unless you wanna play as Barry and Rebecca...But if that's all you wanna do then just download Mercs Reunion...

CrashOkami

The Survivor
If you have all the DLC, then yes, Gold Edition is pretty much a waste. I think everything it has is on the Store/Marketplace. I bought the Gold Edition, wasn't really excited about 5 due to the much brighter setting and less horror, so I got it a bit later.

RedAndWhite

If you buy the regular version you CAN buy this stuff on XBLA/PS Store as a downloadable add-on, I find that it's cheaper to buy Gold (it's about £15 now preowned) as it's all on the disc already. No download codes = no content lost to previous owner!

Erm... that's only for the PS3.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here: DO NOT BUY GOLD EDITION USED FOR THE 360!! Because for that you get a disc with the normal version and the DLC is in a one-use only code. Only the PS3 has it all on-disc.

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
Erm... that's only for the PS3.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here: DO NOT BUY GOLD EDITION USED FOR THE 360!! Because for that you get a disc with the normal version and the DLC is in a one-use only code. Only the PS3 has it all on-disc.
- cause xbox is behind the times in format and microsoft will squeeze a penny out of your ass any chance they can for their crappy system! ive owned bith a Ps3 and xbox 360 sinse launch....ive had 7 xbox 360 and my launch ps3 60gb and my slim and both Ps3 systems still work!!!!

Top Bottom