• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games Like Resident Evil

BadWolf

All About Video Game Challenges
As the title says I'm looking for games that are similar to original Resident Evil formula (games up to 4). To make it a little bit clear, games that use same or similar camera (Silent Hill 1 being similar for example), fighting system, item gathering, puzzles... Just feel in general. Here are some I already played:

Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Silent Hill 1to3
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Maybe I'm forgetting something but that should be all games I played that are similar to RE.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Dead Space trilogy and The Evil Within (Shinji Mikami) are very similar to RE. If you want more supernatural survival horror I highly recommend Alan Wake.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Dead Space trilogy and The Evil Within (Shinji Mikami) are very similar to RE. If you want more supernatural survival horror I highly recommend Alan Wake.

He wants games that are like the original Resident Evil's with the fixed camera angles. So Dead Space and Evil Within are no no's. Dead Space is literally an RE rip off banking on it's success and Evil Within while was entertaining and fun, was not really that good of a game. I was very disappointed as I expected much more from Shinji Mikami. Or perhaps that's why I was so underwhelmed.

As for Alan Wake. You absolutely need to play that @BadWolf if you haven't already. That game is brilliant and was imho the best ORIGINAL survival Horror IP last gen, if not the last best one released. It's a game that any survival horror fan needs to play, it's not scary, but it's got all the fun and oddities. Condemned is a interesting one as well if you don't mind first person games.

As for other fixed camera angle games I'll list a few.

- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Some will argue you to death that this is the best pick)

- Parasite Eve (this is creepy and it's awesome)

-Clocktower (I haven't played these but I've hear people say they **** themselves from this game)

-Haunting Ground (Capcom game from 2005, main protagonist is literally Jill's face from RE5 slapped with Rebecca LOL)

- Onishima (Also Capcom. Keiji Inafune to be exact. It is more an action game but has some minor horror elements and retains those camera angles)

An honerable mention that is not a horror game nor that game play style. It is however, the most horrifying game that you will ever play in your life. Drakengard.... that ending is truly terrifying.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Clock Tower and Haunting Ground are amazing, though technically Haunting Ground's a spin-off of Clock Tower. Definitely some of the scariest games. I usually say Clock Tower 3 is the scariest game I've ever played.

BadWolf

Not exactly what I'm looking for, I want games that are similar to original RE formula, still thanks.

As for Alan Wake. You absolutely need to play that @BadWolf if you haven't already. That game is brilliant and was imho the best ORIGINAL survival Horror IP last gen, if not the last best one released. It's a game that any survival horror fan needs to play, it's not scary, but it's got all the fun and oddities. Condemned is a interesting one as well if you don't mind first person games.

I played and finished Alan Wake and I must admit I didn't enjoy it as much as you. Story was main part that kept me in the game, gameplay was meh. And it was not very scary to start with, you get all this weapons and you always know you have light flairs etc. It was very scary while you were low supplied with weapons and while enemy's were few in numbers. Later on your were fighting hordes of shadows with team of up to 3 people. It was a fun playthrough but nothing special, decant game.

As for other fixed camera angle games I'll list a few.

- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Some will argue you to death that this is the best pick)

- Parasite Eve (this is creepy and it's awesome)

-Clocktower (I haven't played these but I've hear people say they **** themselves from this game)

-Haunting Ground (Capcom game from 2005, main protagonist is literally Jill's face from RE5 slapped with Rebecca LOL)

- Onishima (Also Capcom. Keiji Inafune to be exact. It is more an action game but has some minor horror elements and retains those camera angles)

An honerable mention that is not a horror game nor that game play style. It is however, the most horrifying game that you will ever play in your life. Drakengard.... that ending is truly terrifying.

Thanks for this mate! I heard for some (Eternal Darkness, Parasite Eve and Clocktower) but never played them. There is a lot of material here.

Clock Tower and Haunting Ground are amazing, though technically Haunting Ground's a spin-off of Clock Tower. Definitely some of the scariest games. I usually say Clock Tower 3 is the scariest game I've ever played.

Now I don't know what to start with xD

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I played and finished Alan Wake and I must admit I didn't enjoy it as much as you. Story was main part that kept me in the game, gameplay was meh. And it was not very scary to start with, you get all this weapons and you always know you have light flairs etc. It was very scary while you were low supplied with weapons and while enemy's were few in numbers. Later on your were fighting hordes of shadows with team of up to 3 people. It was a fun playthrough but nothing special, decant game.

I agree with you on Alan Wake not being scary, but it was definitely a fun game for me. I think the story should have ended WITHOUT the DLC. The DLC imho took away from the ending and caused it to be really poor, and it was retcon. Alan Wake made you think with uncertainty of what really happened.

Might I recommend trying Outlast? It's not the kind of game you are looking for. However it is a Survival Horror experience that any horror fan should not miss out on. It's a very short game and it has some incredible moments. It's almost hard to believe it is an indie game. You're stuck an a Psych Ward with some really ****ed up people and the game has a mind-blowing ending :p It's probably the best actually survival horror game in recent years.

BadWolf

Might I recommend trying Outlast? It's not the kind of game you are looking for. However it is a Survival Horror experience that any horror fan should not miss out on. It's a very short game and it has some incredible moments. It's almost hard to believe it is an indie game. You're stuck an a Psych Ward with some really ****ed up people and the game has a mind-blowing ending :p It's probably the best actually survival horror game in recent years.

I played Outlast, it was a lot of fun and scary but it had one flaw, you get used to it after a while because it stays the same from first to last minute.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium

This was a pretty decent game and very similar to Resi imo. It was supposed to be the 1st survival horror released on ps2. Can be a bit challenging at times cause of the limited ammo and tough enemies. If you like Resi, it's definitely worth checking out.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I played Outlast, it was a lot of fun and scary but it had one flaw, you get used to it after a while because it stays the same from first to last minute.

I thought it changed things up more than a lot of other horror games. That ending was pretty brilliant imo. Even better yet is how so many people were "butt hurt" by it. Kind of like Rev 2's ending xD

BadWolf

I thought it changed things up more than a lot of other horror games. That ending was pretty brilliant imo. Even better yet is how so many people were "butt hurt" by it. Kind of like Rev 2's ending xD

Yea, I also enjoyed the ending, it would be even better if there was a third game, because sequel was pretty loyal to the first game and I believe they will go on in that manner.

try rule of rose.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Yea, I also enjoyed the ending, it would be even better if there was a third game, because sequel was pretty loyal to the first game and I believe they will go on in that manner.

I'm confused.... Outlast 2 hasn't even been released yet.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Kuon is like Resident evil mixed with RPG elements(spells&equipments)with an East-Asian horror setting, another game i'd suggest is Syberia it isn't really a horror game but it has pretty much the same puzzle based gameplay as resident evil without the Combat.

Top Bottom