• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised First playthrough 'live feed'

Ganado

Floundering in the savage doorway
Hi all, I'm just about to embark on my first run through the RE universe, and figured I'd post my ongoing thoughts / opinions / cries for help as I went along. It may make interesting reading for some of you, if nothing else I'm sure it'll make plenty of you hardcore gamers chortle a lot :)

I had a quick foray last night, and was rather disgusted to only make it as far as the first doggy busting in through the window. It well and truly savaged Jill, no save had been made, game over in about 5 minutes. Holy f**k is it gonna be like this all the way through?

I'll give it another bash tonight and hope to fare better. Must remember to run off from the first zombie and not expend all my handgun ammo on the damned thing!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Congratulations on entering the world of survival horror! ;)

Love the idea of chronicling your first adventure through the game; I'll certainly be keeping a close eye! Make sure not to beat yourself up too much over your encounter with those pesky mutts - they've been the catalyst behind many a rage-quit in the however-many-years I've been playing the games. Unfortunately, the dogs will likely be the least of your worries as you make your way deeper into the mansion... hehe.

Quick tip: I notice you mentioning that you're playing as Jill; make sure to leg it back out the door to Barry in the dining hall when you happen upon that first zombie chomping on that poor dead chap. Barry'll sort the fella out, saving you half of a magazine of bullets in the process.

Jolly good luck! The first Resident Evil (original and REmake) is a pretty savage doorway into the franchise!

Last edited:

Ganado

Bloody hell, you're not wrong Steve! My adventures so far have just about persuaded me to sack it off and go play Ada's missions in 4, an altogether more sedate gaming experience.

Thanks for the quick tip - though I'd figured that myself after unloading my handgun clip on the first Z, only to have it wander into the dining room anyway for Barry to kill. WTF? Anyway, live and learn, so next time I let him take care of it. I went a-wandering and soon blew my ammo on a couple more Z's before heading for the dog corridor, sure enough, first one through the window munched me good. Third time lucky, nah, shot the first dog up and failed horribly to kill the second with my knife. Rage-quit? Rage-throw-the-controller-through-the-TV-screen more like. Sooooo, let's give this Chris fella a go, see if he can do any better. Nah, the first Z trashed me and my poxy butter knife in no time. Quick scan of the instruction manual revealed no blocking manouevres, no easy difficulty levels, no nowt. Holy Hand Grenades.

Pretty savage doorway is bang-on. I'll perservere of course, but right now I'm wondering if I haven't made a terrible terrible mistake :D

EDIT : I've just noticed my first REN Trophy! Laugh my nether regions off! How very appropriate given how things have gone (or not) thus far.

Last edited:

Ganado

Sorry for double-posting, please do merge this with the above post if required, but anyway, on with todays adventures through the savage doorway...

Well, not so savage anymore. I gladly admit that I've found another way to tackle the 'problem' that is Resident Evil. After failing to get anywhere many more times over this afternoon, I went noseying on the web for potential solutions. Sadly there was nothing to help with a 44 yr old's iffy timing, nor any finger-loosening exercises. What I DID find was the exceptional news that the Directors Cut does actually feature different difficulty modes! Having just shelled out for a good many RE games I was unwilling to purchase yet another, but did manage to wing it a bit and acquire a copy of the DC that I could play on a PS1 emulator. Result!

Sooo, starting afresh (no biggy since I'd made zero progress anyway on the standard version), on Beginner mode (or whatever it's called), I've spent a great couple of hours making reasonable progress through the initial part of the game. Zombie's hit the deck and stay deck-bound after 4 or 5 blasts with the Beretta, I haven't had to resort to hopeless attempts at knifing anything, and have acquired and placed 2 of the 4 Crests on the placard next to the Circle Of Life doorway. My next task is to find a red jewel for the tigers other eye, maybe do something useful with these here emblems, and figure out where to use the herbicide. I'm hopeful that solving these problems will lead to further progress.

What is definite is that the game is now highly enjoyable, the old grey matter is being exercised, and the controller / monitor remain intact, free of the risk of being atomised in despair. Thank fck for that!

So, back to it Jill, and less of your attitudey hand-on-hip stance whenever I pause for thought. Game on!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Crikey - it sounds like you're on a roll! It completely slipped my mind that the Director's Cut offered multiple difficulty settings - whoops!

Regarding the missing Tiger statue jewel...

I'm pretty sure you won't discover the missing gem until later returning to the mansion, after a brief stint in the staff dormitory/living quarters - I think.

And good on you for not letting Jill give you too much stick! Stroppy mare, that one. Mind you, Chris can be a bit of a condescending so-and-so...

Do keep us posted!

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
"Zombies going down 4-5 shots"
Heh yeah that was my feelings at one point, until you reach that certain cutscene marking the halfway point of the game.
Have fun HUNTING with your beretta at that stage :p

Last edited:

Ganado

Heh yeah that was my feelings at one point, until you reach that certain cutscene marking the halfway point of the game.

I'll worry about the what's to come whenI get to it! Right now I'm getting more and more lost in the mansion, and am finding that I'm not too hot on navigating my way around. It's coming, but slowly. Stumbled upon a guy (Richard?) who said he'd been bittenby a Big Snake....and...poisonous. Was dead chuffed with myself for making it to the serum and back to find him still alive, but not for long. Ah well. Claimed the Sun Crest in the room full of suits of armour, and am en route back to the wall plaque to insert it and free up another space in my inventory.

This game is awesome, but it'll have to wait for the small matter of Brazil v Croatia before I venture further.

Ganado

Yeah you guys have got me a tad worried, cut it out okay? ;)

Kidding, you'd expect the enemies to toughen up as you progress through any game. I'm looking forward to coming up against increasingly bizarre virus-ridden bio-engineered experiments as I delve further into the mansion and whatever lies beyond (I've no idea but it's a knocking bet that some seriously sinister laboratory action lies in wait somewhere along the road. And a big poisonous (poisonous? oh no!) snake of course. As for now I'm a bit stumped as to where I might find the last crest. Have acquired the Sun Emblem but no idea where that might be used, and am now pretty much resigned to sniffing out every nook and cranny, most of which I'm sure I've already investigated, to try and progress. I have just come across the research guys diary where he descends into itch-based horror before deciding to hide in the closet, which is adding a nice element of backstory to proceedings. What I need now is some frontstory, namely WTF to do next? No clues please guys, I'll press on and scream if I reach an absolute dead-end.

Regarding the overall gameplay experience, it's a standard fetch-open-solve and shoot adventure game (my forte for years as a Tomb Raider fan), but the atmospherics are superb, the nervousness upon entering a new room is pretty intense (not helped by the occasional off-screen Z waiting to jump my bones, but not in THAT way), and the overall effect is one is immense enjoyment. Fecking love it :D

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
When your eventually finished wht this game
Will you do this for re2-3?
I would like to read up your re3 adventures the most

Ganado

Progress update...in between mountains of college work and the small matter of the World Cup, I found time today to try and reorientate myself in the maze-like mansion. Half an hours headless chickenesque running around eventually resulted in remembering that a plain emblem had come from that fireplace. Durrrr, in goes the Sun Emblem, of bloody course, and, besides stopping that damned Grandfather clock from tick tick ticking, I pocketed a Mansion Key. Much trying of every door thereafter eventually opened a really nasty door indeed! That effing snake gave me a right old munching at the first time of asking, second time, and with a tad more composed aiming of the bazooka then the shotgun (I was still wasting far too much explosive ammo for my own liking despite the 'composure') it buggered off and I snaffled the last Crest! Get in! Not to mention Phew!

So that's where I'm at, just through the Door Of Life or whatever it calls itself, and ready to plough deeper into the horror. Adrenaline is pumping after that scrap with the beeg snake, and simply at making decent progress. Time for a bit more World Cup now but I'm absolutely loving the game, the controls are mastered so Jill is flying around the place more than competently, my main troubles are caused by 'the fear' which the game itself is effortlessly generating. Just like it says on the tin!

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
Mwahaha, this is just begin ;) You should make a videoblog with your progress, or live stream ;) Anyway, just cannot wait when you'll start RE3 ;) Good luck :)

Ganado

Hehe, if I did a livestream (presuming a livestream is an actual live video of me playing the game, I don't actually know), it'd be the most boring playthrough anyone had ever seen by some distance! Just lots of wandering round the same corridors opening the same doors as I did 5 minutes back, and shouting 'oh fck, I've just been here!' over and over ;) It would frustrate viewers really badly, and I've no intention of frustrating anyone!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Hehe, if I did a livestream (presuming a livestream is an actual live video of me playing the game, I don't actually know), it'd be the most boring playthrough anyone had ever seen by some distance! Just lots of wandering round the same corridors opening the same doors as I did 5 minutes back, and shouting 'oh fck, I've just been here!' over and over ;) It would frustrate viewers really badly, and I've no intention of frustrating anyone!

I'm the same way. I would rather do post-commentary so I could script out things relevant to the game I'm playing and maybe some other interesting topics. I don't like single-person live commentaries in general, because it's just someone reacting to things. If there's a two-person dynamic there, live commentary can work.

Ganado

Would you be meaning those big green guys that just ganged up on me as I ran out of ammo back in the mansion? A good blast with bazooka rounds keeps those boys quiet, but getting bumrushed by two of them whilst Jill wishes she was in a COD game and could shout 'I'm dry!' to get the attention of the idiot who's controlling her, well that was a bit much. Ah well, so am I halfway there?

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Would you be meaning those big green guys that just ganged up on me as I ran out of ammo back in the mansion? A good blast with bazooka rounds keeps those boys quiet, but getting bumrushed by two of them whilst Jill wishes she was in a COD game and could shout 'I'm dry!' to get the attention of the idiot who's controlling her, well that was a bit much. Ah well, so am I halfway there?
Yeahhh good luck
They don't get any less annoying

Ganado

Finished it! Well the latter part of the game developed into a bit of a stroll really, other than having to backtrack to the mansion to stock up on health items before re-attempting to introduce ourselves to the Tyrant. I made sure to enjoy it whilst I could, as I have a hunch RE2 will be less forgiving (or lacking an easy mode at any rate). Overall I'm glad to have played and finished the game, 18hrs worth, managed (by chance rather than design) to rescue Chris, and will play as him next time round of course, but for now it's a tie between diving straight into RE2 or having a breather and trying out Separate Ways on RE4.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Finished it! Well the latter part of the game developed into a bit of a stroll really, other than having to backtrack to the mansion to stock up on health items before re-attempting to introduce ourselves to the Tyrant. I made sure to enjoy it whilst I could, as I have a hunch RE2 will be less forgiving (or lacking an easy mode at any rate). Overall I'm glad to have played and finished the game, 18hrs worth, managed (by chance rather than design) to rescue Chris, and will play as him next time round of course, but for now it's a tie between diving straight into RE2 or having a breather and trying out Separate Ways on RE4.
First of all well done
I hope those pesky hunters didn't add a phobia to your list :p

Secondly,
I suggest you dive into RE2 before you do separate ways only for the reason that re2 is the origins of the whole Leon / Ada thing which continues in re4 / separate ways.
I'm sure you know all about that anyway but it's nice to do things in chronological Order ^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom