• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Euro 2012

bruno

Chief Researcher
I thought this deserves a new thread...
Tell me, which teams do you think will pass from each group?
Who do you think might be the finalists and champion?

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Germany as ever, are looking impressive.

The Dutch are their usual talented yet disfunctional selves.

French per-usual are slow to burn..

England will get dumped soon enough

Ireland are an absolute joke and will be home before the postcards.

I feel this is Spains last battle as a group as the Barca boys are getting on a bit and Torres just isn't what he used to be.

Germany, are young, fresh and have played together and grew together for a little while now, and their experienced players are still in their prime... so Germany for me, will be lifting the 2012 Euro cup.

Italy, i never comment on Italy as they are a funny lot. They can be deadly on some days, yet totally **** the next. They like Germany have a young side, but unlike Germany they haven't played along side eachother for as long... but you never know with those crafty lot.

VP-70

I'm pulling for Spain to go all the way, but I won't lie...Germany is looking VERY hot...
The big test for Spain will be if they still have one more fight in them. I noticed last time they played they played without a striker... they tried to go all Barca, befoe eventually bringing on torres.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The big test for Spain will be if they still have one more fight in them. I noticed last time they played they played without a striker... they tried to go all Barca, befoe eventually bringing on torres.
Do you know if there are any plans for a lineup change sometime soon?

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Some of the 'smaller' teams have surprised me.
Russia started off well against the Czech Republic, performed decently against Poland. Even Denmark surprised me. Dennis Rommedahl and Stephan Andersen played for my favourite team at one stage, and they're proving valuable assets. Don't see the big fuss over Erikson; has hardly performed when required and he just seems like another playmaker. No different or better than Iniesta, Sneijder or Modric.
England... Great. I don't see us getting too far. I think quarter finals and lose convincingly to Spain (we finish 2nd, Spain 1st). We were defensively sound against France after the Nasri goal (Scotty Parker, what a player) but our reliance on the overrated striker known as Rooney could cost us. If he gets injured, we fall apart.
I see the finalists as Russia and Germany. 3-0 win to Germany. Semis - Spain and Ukraine.

VP-70

Do you know if there are any plans for a lineup change sometime soon?
Its rare that managers change shape during a tournament... they spend all knock out stages the year before tweaking their choosen styles and lines ups, so come the main event, their machines are well oiled.

I.e the Dutch haven't changed since the 60's...they have played the exact same way for decades.

I would imagine however, that the Spanish manager won't go the entire compitition without an out and out striker..

Changes to the line as in, personale will happen as the games come thick and fast, in order to keep certain players fresh.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Its rare that managers change shape during a tournament... they spend all knock out stages the year before tweaking their choosen styles and lines ups, so come the main event, their machines are well oiled.

I.e the Dutch haven't changed since the 60's...they have played the exact same way for decades.

I would imagine however, that the Spanish manager won't go the entire compitition without an out and out striker..

Changes to the line as in, personale will happen as the games come thick and fast, in order to keep certain players fresh.
I see...Are any players set to retire soon, bringing in new, younger, fresher players...Not that that's always the best move, but I'm curious...

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
I see...Are any players set to retire soon, bringing in new, younger, fresher players...Not that that's always the best move, but I'm curious...
Generally the players announce after a big tournament whether they'll retire or not.
Spain rely too heavily on the huge names like Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol and Casillas. If they started to give Negredo and Navas a bit more playing time, and even give Mikel Arteta his first cap, then they'd become unpredictable and much harder to beat. Plus, the likes of Torres for me are beginning to fade. Casillas isn't as good as he was in the last Euros, nor is Puyol. Torres was incredible then, but now, they've become only good players.

VP-70

From international level perhaps. But for club, they still have a while left. You see the problem with the Spanish mindset in football, is that you aren't considered to be '' mature '' and in your '' prime '' until your about 25 to 29 before that you're a kid, who isn't worth a look * even if you are amazing * This is why Fabregas is breaking in now, because he's older, there fore, seen by his national peers as being '' ready ''

each country has their own brand of being.. style of play... philosophies if you like.

Spain are by no stretch an old side, but their experienced players are bordering on retirement, and in the heat conditions they are being asked to play in, they could lose their legs easily.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
From international level perhaps. But for club, they still have a while left. You see the problem with the Spanish mindset in football, is that you aren't considered to be '' mature '' and in your '' prime '' until your about 25 to 29 before that you're a kid, who isn't worth a look * even if you are amazing * This is why Fabregas is breaking in now, because he's older, there fore, seen by his national peers as being '' ready ''
You could argue otherwise in the case of Hazard, Neymar, Messi and Oxlade-Chamberlain. It seems one's prime is when they're becoming adults. Messi's only 24 and made his name on the international stage at 18. O-C is only 18 and made his international debut for us. Hell, he was playing in League One two seasons ago before he joined Arsenal.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I think that in the Groups stage will pass:
Group A: Russia and Polony
Group B: Germany and Portugal
Group C: Croatia and Italy/Spain (I need to see tomorrows matches to decide between these)
Group D: Ukraine and England

VP-70

You could argue otherwise in the case of Hazard, Neymar, Messi and Oxlade-Chamberlain. It seems one's prime is when they're becoming adults. Messi's only 24 and made his name on the international stage at 18. O-C is only 18 and made his international debut for us. Hell, he was playing in League One two seasons ago before he joined Arsenal.
True,

it comes down to two points of view.

1 ( the spanish way ) you ignore them and let them develop at club level with plenty of game time and allow them to learn and develop before bringing them into the national side.

or
2 ( which you're suggesting ) if they're good enough they are old enough. Messi isn't a good example for he is a bit special, he's not ( normal ) Although Messi has had the advantage of playing in a golden Barca side with many talented players....i feel though, Messi may be hiding behind their brilliance at times, because in the world cup, Messi was nowhere to be seen.

Anyways, back to the point.

Personally, i believe you should pick your best squad at all times... regardless of age. Although youth brings its own problems, like experience off the field. A certain Mr Rooney who has a bit of a reputation for getting him sent off when his country needs him most. this is seriously immature, and it should have been knocked out of him from the start.

Like i said it all depends on culture...but i personally play to win, every game.

VP-70

Spain vs Ireland... Spain starting with Torres.... should be a goodun.

VP-70

Absolutely delighted that the Irish have been pumped out of the Euros. I get sick and tired of listening to the commentators bang on about how they are the best fans in the world, when that is a slap in the face to every fan of everyother country. I'm glad they got utterly destroyed last night...

Nemesis

On The War-Path
Premium
It's not surprising Ireland got knocked out; I always knew we would be one of the first. I'm expecting Ireland to lose by a huge margin against Italy.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
I know, the Irish team are feckin useless lol. I didn't even bother watching the match cause I knew they would lose. I'm surprised Spain didn't beat them by more actually :p

Top Bottom