• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Enabling HDR

Jamesy

It says on my LG tv it says that it does not suppourt HDR.

Are there cables you can buy that could enable HDR on my television or do I have to get an entirely new TV?

Frag Maniac

It says on my LG tv it says that it does not suppourt HDR.

Are there cables you can buy that could enable HDR on my television or do I have to get an entirely new TV?

I assume you may be referring to getting HDR to work in RE4 Remake? It was the other way around for me, I assumed since my new TV DOES support HDR, I would be able to just turn it on in game. Nope, it will just say you need an HDR capable display.

Then after doing a net search I found you need to enable HDR in Windows (I play on PC). I'm not sure whether in your case you need to enable HDR in the PS5 OS or not, but I DO know the display itself has to support it for it to work.

HDR looks awesome in RE4R, but unfortunately I cannot get Nvidia's ShadowPlay capture tool to capture it well. It will capture instead a very washed out looking clip. The captures actually look far better without HDR on. Nvidia have mentioned HDR problems needing to be sorted out with MS and game developers in their latest driver notes, but these HDR woes have been going on for YEARS.

I would think consoles might have less of a problem getting HDR to work properly, because it's not a 3 headed monster like MS, Nvidia, and game devs. It's mainly between AMD and the game devs.

BTW, a bit of a warning with LG Smart TVs. BEFORE you connect them to the net, especially just after registering one on their site, go to Settings>Support>Privacy & Terms on the TV, and enable the bottom option, which makes them have to cease selling your personal info. Otherwise you can get apps popping up, even while you're gaming, asking if you want them to play music, or whatever they do.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

BTW, I want to add to what I said above that I've seen people imply a display does not support HDR if it's not on VESA's HDR Certified list. This is not true, it just means the manufacturer of the display did not pay to have VESA test and certify it.

Frag Maniac

BTW, I found out it was my GTX 1080 making the captures look washed out while playing with HDR on. The RTX 4080 I just put in the new rig I built has no problem capturing it. I pretty much figured that would be the case when I remembered ShadowPlay uses the encoding architecture on the GPU just before building the new PC.

I can also say W11 supports HDR a bit better than W10. When you enable HDR in W11, it doesn't make the desktop look noticeably washed out like it does in W10. In fact, I had to set HDR Brightness in game in RE4R to max, then bump it up a few notches in the next HDR brightness page to keep some areas from looking too dark.

The 4080 has also allowed me to set desktop res to 3840x2160 @ 120 Hz, as well as with 4:4:4 color chroma AND 12 bit. The LG C3 42" TV has a 10 bit screen, but uses 12 bit color processing.

Top Bottom