• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Do the alternate controls make some things harder?

Matroska

I'm one of the few people that really didn't have a problem with the "tank controls", though I know why people would. I'm tempted to try out the new alternative controls just to see how it plays but I'm thinking that maybe certain things might be more trick now, like back-pedalling while slashing with the knife and very precisely lining yourself up to run down a corridor or past an enemy at a particular angle. Is this the case? Or is it the opposite and it makes things way too easy, so you'd recommend against it for that reason?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Tank controls are terrible in the newer games, which I realised quite recently when I tried to play RE5 again, failing spectacularly because I couldn't move and shot at the same time like I've gotten used to, and Chris would call Sheva every time I told him to evade. (Yeah, switching from Revelations 2 back to RE5 is really not easy). But I don't mind those controls at all in the older games. In fact, it's much easier that way if you don't have an over-the-shoulder perspective, because the fixed camera angles make sure that the direction keys change their meaning every time you enter a new background. I tried it a few times in the REmake, but found it rather annoying, so I switched back to tank controls and have been playing it like that ever since.

But that's just my personal experience. Yours might as well be totally different.

Matroska

Yeah, I know what you mean. People often say that RE4 changed the controls from previous REs, but it really didn't. It still has the same old tank controls. I tried to play it again about a year and a half ago and it was just unbearably bad. The problem is that the camera follows Leon's every rotation whereas in RE1 to CV, the camera wasn't influenced by the character rotation. That's compounded by the lack of strafing - something that was 100% fine in previous REs.

Can you change the control method mid-game? If you can then there's no problem. I was just cautious about starting it and being stuck with something annoying.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
When it comes to REmake, I find that some things are easier with tank controls, and some things are easier with Full-3D.

And regarding RE4 and 5, I haven't had a problem with the controls since my first time playing RE4 at 8 years old, so. They're perfectly fine and the type of enemies you encounter in RE4 don't really require you to strafe.

Matroska

Well it turns out that even if you put it on alternate controls, the d-pad still lets you use tank controls so it's really not a problem at all. Now that I realise that, my question is quite pointless.

And regarding RE4 and 5, I haven't had a problem with the controls since my first time playing RE4 at 8 years old, so. They're perfectly fine and the type of enemies you encounter in RE4 don't really require you to strafe.
It's not that it makes the enemies harder, it just feels awful to have the camera tracking Leon as he steers left or right. Go and play a non-combat game like Dear Esther without using strafing or the mouse, rather just use WASD tank-style so A and D turn rather than strafe. It feels awful and just moving through an environment is a chore.

I didn't have a problem when I first played RE4 when I was about 22, in fact I remember gameplay devolving into a farce of just slashing endlessly at knees and/or suplexing everything in sight and no amount of dual analogue controls would have fixed that. It's just that playing it almost 10 years later was a very unenjoyable experience since the camera is tied to Leon's movement too rigidly and he has to turn through 90 degrees four times to get around certain obstacles.

IntoxNitram

I am using the alternate controls on the REmake right now and I find it perfectly fine for playing the game as I always have. I would definitely recommend starting a new save and just testing it out for a bit, getting used to alternate and see which one you prefer for a whole play through. Alternate is my choice though - can't even use tank controls nowadays because games hardly use them anymore.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Games with forced camera angles views need tank controls.
The alternate controls on this gsme were a nice addition but camera transitions really added an issue for me.
Especially where the camera angle changes a complete 180degree view perspective.

Mista Cassla

YouTuber
I feel that the alternate controls are a lot better just sometimes hard to control with Camera Angel... It just comes down to getting used to them just takes time no matter what controls you use.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
A few facts about RE remastered controls:

1-once the perspective changes you need to refine your movement(alternate) .
2-I find my xbox360's directional pad very annoying, I don't know if it's only me feeling so...
But the D-pad for xbox360 really sucks for tank controls.
3-although this one is rare but sometime you wont have a visual on you character because a zombie is in front of the camera,
in this situation alternate controls could be better...

but after all it all depends on personal preference.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
I completed the game using Jill with the Original control style, or Tank controls as they are called >_> I found it enjoyable, played it through on normal mode without any issues it was fun.

However I just tried playing as Chris, and I switched to the Alternative control style and wow. Yes that will take some getting use to and as mentioned above when you use the Alternate control style and the camera angle changes, it makes your next turning a little off, hard to explain but it makes you judder in place, but I still need to get use to it..

I'm going to say I don't like the Alternative controls because, & to answer the threads question. No, it does not make things harder. Id say it actually makes things easier, because you can dodge zombies and turn back on yourself a lot faster, resulting in you being able to run away from almost any situation... Almost... didn't stop me from getting slaughtered by the Crimson head outside the Armour key room but it does feel like it's a bit... a bit of a handicap to makes things easier.

EDIT.
In addition to all that.

One thing I realised about the Alternate Control scheme is that it abandoned the pushing up on the analog stick moves your player directly forward (the direction there facing), instead it moves the character in the direction you move the stick in. This kinda effects the classic feel of the game, You should all know what I mean by that.

However the Alternate Controls do give you the power to turn full circle. I'd like to see a Alternate Control scheme that still uses the Pressing Up moves your character directly forward in the direction your facing, but allows you to run and turn full circle and gives you enhanced turning.. (this is getting confusing really fast, if you've tried out the control schemes you should know what I'm ranting about).

Last edited:

black 93

The only time iv had problems with controls is in RE4. I played the wii version first, so first time playing the ps2 version was awful. Contrary to what most people think, i never had much of an issue with 5's controls. The controls were at their best in revelations 2 i think. 6 was very fluid but some of it didnt make sense, why can i sprint forever but if i throw 5 punches in a row im suddenly out of breath? Iv never had an issue with any of the old games either, in fact i find the alternate controls harder to be honest. Different strokes for diffrent folks i guess.

Top Bottom