• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) Did the RPD know about the mercenarys?

Zacmac90

Anyone notice in the intro, a mercenary helicopter flies over as the zombies start appearing, was the RPD aware of the USBC mercenarys being in the city at the time...also why the HELL don't cops or soldiers in RE have any common sense to SHOOT FOR THE HEAD?!! LOL..sorry

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't think it was ever specifically stated whether or not the RPD was aware of Umbrella reinforcement but, considering that everyone was in the dark as to Umbrella being behind the outbreak, I would hazard to guess not. Besides, if the RPD had been aware of the UBCS's (Umbrella Bio-hazard Countermeasure Service) appearance, Jill would most likely have known, which she did not.

As for your other question, the Raccoon City Police department had never dealt with anything like this before. Sure some of them would have eventually figured it out but by then it would most likely be too late, they'd either already be partially infected or severely outnumbered - even though the numbers were never really even to begin with. (The police department and a few troops of men against an entire city? Those are hopeful odds; and ammo does not last forever, my friend. Considering the lack of people "in" on Umbrella's foul deeds - lessening the number of potential saviors - and Raccoon's isolated location, the survivors were doomed from the start.)

As for the UBCS, the game was set up so that Jill and Carlos were the only survivors, not to mention that, according to Carlos, most of the people in his unit were simple mercenaries who had not one iota of what was going on; and the line-up of the ill-informed includes Lieutenant Mikhail Victor who was even higher on the totem pole than Carlos. From what I gathered, Nicholai was the only one in Carlos' unit who knew what was going on on a scientific level and, in that respect, the other units were possibly oblivious save for their commanders/aka the other "watchdogs" as well.

They were, essentially, as in the dark as the RPD.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I don't think th RPD was informed about the UBCS, there are no records of them trying to communicate or joining forces. Umbrella's intentionby sending the UBCS into the city was to gain combat data about their BOW's (they placed BOW's around the city on purpose).
As MG said, the UBCS members didn't know what they were getting into, save from the Monitors - wich were all killed by Nicholai (their mission was to recover data, and by killing the other Monitors, Nicholai assured he'd have exclusive information, granting a much higher reward).
About the headshots... you have to understand that, in a panic situation, you'd probably just shoot the zombies anywhere to slow them down, instead of wasting time aiming for the head.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well when the S.T.A.R.S. got back from the Arkley Mountains they told Chief Irons everything, including how to kill them...the reason the RPD didnt know how to deal with them was because Chief Irons dissmissed these claims as absurd, obviously because he was being bribed by Umbrella...so the bulk of the force knew nothing to begin with, and those who were close to Irons probably agreed with him that it was absurd...it would be another month and a half before the infection hit the city, so even those cops, who knew nothing of Umbrella probably had what they knew about the S.T.A.R.S. (Who had been labled as fools) in the back of thier minds, seeing as no one listens to a fool...

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Did they even come in at the same time, I mean during that montage of UBCS and RPD getting slaughtered, it was all showed together, but we never saw a UBCS guy and RPD member at the same time.

I mean what were the exact dates when that all happened. September 28 1998 is when RE3 starts. When does the outbreak begin exactly? Wasn't it the 21st or 23rd or something? I think I remember reading that the stuff with RPD was like 2 days before RE3 right, so maybe the 26th. I don't know that they took place at the same time. They probably did, but anyway, I'll look that all up next time I play.

Most of the RPD members, who were still alive, were in the precinct, only to die anyway, so I doubt too many did, but there's always room for expansion, I mean ORC might give us some new stuff, possibly involving both the police and Umbrella's military group.

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
It's more difficult than you think to aim and shoot someone in the head. Think about it, you are panicking, trying to aim between the nose to the forehead (you can't just shoot any place on the human head and hit the brain), while the target is moving towards you and swaying side to side, all the while checking your periph for other contacts. On top of that, policeman are by no means marksman. They are trained to maim to subdue/not kill an individual. The mercenaries were military trained/criminals who have been pardoned in exchange for being in Umbrella's para-military force. The military teaches to shoot for the center mass, not head shots. So, as you can see, training would ultimately take over in a situation where there is no time to think and three to the chest is the outcome.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
It's more difficult than you think to aim and shoot someone in the head. Think about it, you are panicking, trying to aim between the nose to the forehead (you can't just shoot any place on the human head and hit the brain), while the target is moving towards you and swaying side to side, all the while checking your periph for other contacts. On top of that, policeman are by no means marksman. They are trained to maim to subdue/not kill an individual. The mercenaries were military trained/criminals who have been pardoned in exchange for being in Umbrella's para-military force. The military teaches to shoot for the center mass, not head shots. So, as you can see, training would ultimately take over in a situation where there is no time to think and three to the chest is the outcome.

Right. Of course the police do have to regularly keep up as far as their shooting goes. I mean test regularly to make sure they are fit to have a gun and all.

But, the panic of that situation would certainly come in.

MeeMeeHeart877

I don't think th RPD was informed about the UBCS, there are no records of them trying to communicate or joining forces. Umbrella's intentionby sending the UBCS into the city was to gain combat data about their BOW's (they placed BOW's around the city on purpose).
As MG said, the UBCS members didn't know what they were getting into, save from the Monitors - wich were all killed by Nicholai (their mission was to recover data, and by killing the other Monitors, Nicholai assured he'd have exclusive information, granting a much higher reward).
About the headshots... you have to understand that, in a panic situation, you'd probably just shoot the zombies anywhere to slow them down, instead of wasting time aiming for the head.
Imagine if there was a scene like this during the game...

Top Bottom