• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Colorful insults - Racist or not?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Right because anyone who thinks "butt-muffin-face-maker" is a classy insult is being totally serious. :tongue:Irony can be hard to detect in writing, but context clues help quite a bit. Or you could just ask if I'm being serious or not.

Oh, I totally got it. I just hate this mentality that I'm seeing around here that says there's a certain more better way to insult. Insults are mean, plain and simple. The fact that anyone feels the need to offend someone goes to show how imperfect we are as humans. Just because someone uses "colorful" insults, as we're calling them, doesn't mean they're racist or disgusting as a human being. We're disgusting for even resorting to insults, period.

Meg

So bin ich eben
Oh, I totally got it. I just hate this mentality that I'm seeing around here that says there's a certain more better way to insult. Insults are mean, plain and simple. The fact that anyone feels the need to offend someone goes to show how imperfect we are as humans. Just because someone uses "colorful" insults, as we're calling them, doesn't mean they're racist or disgusting as a human being. We're disgusting for even resorting to insults, period.
But there IS a better way to insult. If someone is being that much of a jerk (or if your just teasing a friends) insulting things that a person can help is fair game. Insulting thing that is inherent about that person (race, culture, age, height, etc.) is not only a really low blow but also needless offensive. For instance, calling a black person an ape is the same as saying "you aren't human because of your skin color; you're an animal." That is completely different from telling someone they are being an asshat for X, Y, and Z. How they behave is something they can fix (for the most part), and if they are being that much of a jerk, then they should be called out. However, calling someone who's being a jerk gay, fat, whale, ape, etc. is implying that who they are is the problem and not how they are acting. That the reason they are acting that way is because of who they are and not because of a personality flaw.

That's a huge difference.

Reactions: Hel

Turo602

The King of Kings
But there IS a better way to insult. If someone is being that much of a jerk (or if your just teasing a friends) insulting things that a person can help is fair game. Insulting thing that is inherent about that person (race, culture, age, height, etc.) is not only a really low blow but also needless offensive. For instance, calling a black person an ape is the same as saying "you aren't human because of your skin color; you're an animal." That is completely different from telling someone they are being an asshat for X, Y, and Z. How they behave is something they can fix (for the most part), and if they are being that much of a jerk, then they should be called out. However, calling someone who's being a jerk gay, fat, whale, ape, etc. is implying that who they are is the problem and not how they are acting. That the reason they are acting that way is because of who they are and not because of a personality flaw.

That's a huge difference.

Like I said, the point of an insult is to offend someone. I've been in many confrontations and not once am I thinking about their personality. All that matters in the heat of the moment is how much you hate the person and how much you want them to hurt. When I was still in high school, these 2 black people were riding by on their bikes and one of them took a cheap shot at me. I was furious, so I called them niggers. Not because I'm racist, but because I wanted to offend them as much as possible in hope that they'd return so that I could express myself in a physical manner. I was deceiving them with a lie to get my way.

Insults aren't necessarily true and don't necessarily reflect who you are as a person, but express your level of anger towards another. There's no right way, anyone would be wrong for even insulting a fellow human being because honestly, we can be better than that. In the end, it's all about context. If you're not mad enough to be as offensive as possible, then there's no need to be so harsh. In my case, I was furious, no one should ever lay a hand on me like that, especially strangers. So I used a racist remark as a tactic. Was I wrong? Yes, I was wrong for reacting in such a hostile way. So let's not pretend like there are better ways of being offensive, because it's all vulgar nonsense. Whether it's "colorful" or not, an insult is an insult. Either way, you're stooping to a low level.

Last edited:

Mr Sunshine

I think that OP is an ape.

But seriously, this thread has been a colossal failure. I have a tendacy in nitpicking. This discussion provides nothing. On the contrary, it warrants trouble. I was talking about situations of emotional tension which one way or another are going to reflect bad on the person. Actions is what really matters in racism and I'm pretty sure most of us know how handle discriminative situations.

At least, my mind is clear now. Thanks everyone for your contribution. You did actually help.

Mods, you know what to do.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Lol human is just another way to say advanced animal. We're not that great and we shouldn't try to pretend we are. Let's just be honest about it. We humans do meet certain standards, but it is our own standards. We made them up ourselves to suit us.

About insults, I have heard it's made into an art form in the British parliament. When insulted properly (lol), the victim will not realize right there and then that they are being insulted. XD

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
I'm very, very wary to keep this thread open. Some comments here have made me incredibly uncomfortable, and are frankly shocking.

Here's my answer: I've never known an articulate, and well-spoken person to resort to saying such things. I think using derogatory terms makes you look worse than the person you're speaking about. If you want to give the impression of being someone who is well-spoken, then think of something else to say.
I found it a pretty damn offensive thread to say the least. that some people boast about using the word nigger, that is offensive here in england and I have a lot of black and asian friends in my city, there are racist people here and there have been EDL marches (they are a bunch of thugs) as well as demonstrations from Unite Against Facism. Leicester (my town) has about 50% white and 50% asian and minorities so there is often issues. when i was younger people would say oh you had sex with an asian I'm not repeating exactly. what they said. But there is a slang word for Pakistani people that is thrown around like 'nigger' is in America. The ignorance of some people is outstanding "Not to describe black people because that's NOT what a nigger is. A "Nigger" is anyone who doesn't wanna work for what they have"- Kennedy Killer this is pretty ridiculous. Nigger obviously goes back historically to the slave trade and when people refered to black people as objects. I don't care that the word has changed somewhat in meaning, the fact remains that some people would still hear it in that light. And what the **** are you on about is it oK to sell drugs in an alleyway? It didn't make sense, in your example yeah the guy is racist. And judging people cos their selling drugs is stupid, if its weed then yeah I think its fine their selling it to people who need medicine, the government pushes more damaging drugs on a daily basis. to be honest i think this thread is full of ignorance!

Turo602

The King of Kings
And what the **** are you on about is it oK to sell drugs in an alleyway? It didn't make sense, in your example yeah the guy is racist. And judging people cos their selling drugs is stupid, if its weed then yeah I think its fine their selling it to people who need medicine, the government pushes more damaging drugs on a daily basis. to be honest i think this thread is full of ignorance!

Not everyone that sells weed is a doctor... Personally, I think anyone that does sell weed illegally is a piece of ****.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Got to agree with Turo's last comment there, but that's a whole other story.

I have never ever ever used racist language. And that is not because I'm some holier than thou person, it is because my grandmother was obscenely racist and my mother was insistent that her children be raised with respect. My stepmother is Russian and extremely xenophobic - she even asked me once how I could stand the smell of living next door to a Pakistani family.

As others have said, the intention of an insult is to offend and upset another person, usually off the back of being offended and upset yourself. And sadly one of the easiest ways to do this is to pick the sort of language that causes deep hurt or plays on insecurities. Having said that, some people just appear to be offended all the time no matter what you say...

I'm pretty spineless, to be honest, and rarely get into a confrontation of any sort IRL but rather go away and get mad by myself where I can't be slapped for it. But even then I still don't resort to using racial slurs or insults.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Lol human is just another way to say advanced animal. We're not that great and we shouldn't try to pretend we are. Let's just be honest about it. We humans do meet certain standards, but it is our own standards. We made them up ourselves to suit us.

Without standards, we'd be like every other animal on this planet. Standards are what makes us as a race, great. Can we be better? Sure, there's always room for improvement. I can go on and on about how we as a race are amazing, sadly, I can't say the same for us as individuals. I can admit to being a quite pathetic individual not because I make mistakes, but because I honestly don't meet many of these standards or even have a plan to be better. I go on and on about change but not once have I practiced what I preach. At least I can see that.

But who am I to speak of what's right and what's wrong? Who is anyone? From birth we're conditioned to believe many things, one of those things being the difference between right and wrong. The truth is, there's no such thing. It's just in our nature to behave a certain way. No matter how many standards are set, how many rules are given, no one can ever change our nature, just control it. That being said, it's in our nature to judge, insult, and hurt. It's a defense mechanism, we can't help it most of the time. Whether or not we feel that way is up to the individual. In the end, we're all just trying to protect ourselves.

Wow, where did that come from? I guess I should thank you, Romero. As someone who enjoys thinking critically, I got to say, your post really inspired some thought.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
Not everyone that sells weed is a doctor... Personally, I think anyone that does sell weed illegally is a piece of ****.
most people who sell it are doing their friends are favour who may need it for medical conditions and to get sleep . People cannot access this medical plant legally thanks to my Gov. backwards policies, which by their own drug assessment scientists have prooven to be flawed and cannabis is less harmful than alcohol/cigarettes according to my own governments research, its legality has more to do with the oil and timber industries, as well as the pharmacuetical companies covering up the cure. I will leave it there but do some research before you follow propaganda. I didn't like the point that just because a few guys are in an alley selling weed they are allowed to be subject to racist abuse. Where I live, their is not enough weed to go around everyone and most people have a friend that grows a small amount just for personal use or for friends. It is nothing like pushing crack or heroin and i wouldn't condene those guys. The run down inner city areas leave little for young people today to do especially in estates and other high unemployment areas. Im not following this thread anymore because its ridiculous.
Recently in the UK there is a lot of Anti-muslim propaganda and constantly media trying to stir up people to be racist, pushing the BNP agenda and our conserative government is attacking immigrants, sending some people back to certified war zones where they will be killed. Muslim and race aggrevated race attacks are on the rise, as is hate crime against disabled people, who are also been singled out and restricted from getting their benefits. Britain is getting F'ed up and all the terrorist propaganda and false flag attacks are Designed to strip away our liberties and create histeria and eventually Martial Law.

Turo602

The King of Kings
most people who sell it are doing their friends are favour who may need it for medical conditions and to get sleep . People cannot access this medical plant legally thanks to my Gov. backwards policies, which by their own drug assessment scientists have prooven to be flawed and cannabis is less harmful than alcohol/cigarettes according to my own governments research, its legality has more to do with the oil and timber industries, as well as the pharmacuetical companies covering up the cure. I will leave it there but do some research before you follow propaganda. I didn't like the point that just because a few guys are in an alley selling weed they are allowed to be subject to racist abuse. Where I live, their is not enough weed to go around everyone and most people have a friend that grows a small amount just for personal use or for friends. It is nothing like pushing crack or heroin and i wouldn't condene those guys. The run down inner city areas leave little for young people today to do especially in estates and other high unemployment areas. Im not following this thread anymore because its ridiculous.
Recently in the UK there is a lot of Anti-muslim propaganda and constantly media trying to stir up people to be racist, pushing the BNP agenda and our conserative government is attacking immigrants, sending some people back to certified war zones where they will be killed. Muslim and race aggrevated race attacks are on the rise, as is hate crime against disabled people, who are also been singled out and restricted from getting their benefits. Britain is getting F'ed up and all the terrorist propaganda and false flag attacks are Designed to strip away our liberties and create histeria and eventually Martial Law.

This has gone way off topic so I'm gonna keep this short. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, and I don't smoke. I'm at my best when I'm sober. Anything that makes people stupider than they already are is a no in my book. Anyone who uses such substances is a coward in my eyes and someone I can't respect.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I found it a pretty damn offensive thread to say the least. that some people boast about using the word nigger, that is offensive here in england and I have a lot of black and asian friends in my city, there are racist people here and there have been EDL marches (they are a bunch of thugs) as well as demonstrations from Unite Against Facism. Leicester (my town) has about 50% white and 50% asian and minorities so there is often issues. when i was younger people would say oh you had sex with an asian I'm not repeating exactly. what they said. But there is a slang word for Pakistani people that is thrown around like 'nigger' is in America. The ignorance of some people is outstanding "Not to describe black people because that's NOT what a nigger is. A "Nigger" is anyone who doesn't wanna work for what they have"- Kennedy Killer this is pretty ridiculous. Nigger obviously goes back historically to the slave trade and when people refered to black people as objects. I don't care that the word has changed somewhat in meaning, the fact remains that some people would still hear it in that light. And what the **** are you on about is it oK to sell drugs in an alleyway? It didn't make sense, in your example yeah the guy is racist. And judging people cos their selling drugs is stupid, if its weed then yeah I think its fine their selling it to people who need medicine, the government pushes more damaging drugs on a daily basis. to be honest i think this thread is full of ignorance!
Language is always evolving and changing. While you're very correct in the historical use of the word. As a discriminatory word used to describe blacks because they were "beneath" the whites. That is correct. However, language has evolved and changed since those days well over 200 years ago. In AMERICA, Nigger is now a term used to describe those who commit acts such as selling drugs, living on welfare, having and abandoning multiple children. These are acts that would constitute one was a "nigger" in today's society in America. The stereotype is that it's mostly blacks who do it. That is not true. Now, the reason it's seen as such an atrocity to use this word is because the majority of the black community still looks at it as what it USED to mean. That being said I have talked to MANY intelligent black individuals, and am friends with several as well, who understand the times have changed. The reason people of other ethnicities don't use the word "Nigger" is because they are afraid of how the populace will react, and judge, and even sue them for it. Now, as far as selling drugs in an alleyway go, in America it IS an issue to sell weed. Whether it's ok in your country, or your PERSONAL BELIEF is that it's ok to sell Weed, that's NOT the stigma in America. It's an offense punishable by prison times and THOUSANDS of dollars worth in fines. And you've accused me of being a racist. In all honesty I'm ok with that accusation. I know how things work in my country...I know I have SEVERAL friends and even FAMILY of other ethnicities INCLUDING black (My grandmother is black, and I can post photos of us to prove it if need be, and my other grandmother is nearly full blooded native American), so your opinion of my view on race really isn't a big deal to me lol.

Last edited:

Popo

But hey, nigger is a different word from nigga, as I consider this a more lovable word, like bro, as I sometimes say to my friends(including black ones) " What's up my nigga?"

P.S: Even though we speak portuguese, we don't translate the word nigga.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But hey, nigger is a different word from nigga, as I consider this a more lovable word, like bro, as I sometimes say to my friends(including black ones) " What's up my nigga?"

P.S: Even though we speak portuguese, we don't translate the word nigga.
Nigga and Nigger are the same word here...just a variation. Some ethnicities and regions have different speech patterns. So here, "Nigga" is a more city style speech pattern to the word "Nigger," due to regional and ethnic differences. One isn't better than the other. And in all honesty, they CAN be lovable words. A lot of "insults" can. I mean, I'm sure we have plenty of Supernatural fans on here. They use two insults in particular as loving brother responses. Dean, the older brother, CONSTANTLY refers to his little brother Sammy as "Bitch" while Sammy will ALWAYS reply with "Jerk." In the ONE episode where Dean calls Sammy a bitch and he DOESN'T respond with "Jerk," Dean is genuinely upset for a moment.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
Nigger is now a term used to describe those who commit acts such as selling drugs, living on welfare, having and abandoning multiple children. These are acts that would constitute one was a "nigger" in today's society in America. The stereotype is that it's mostly blacks who do it. ........................................ And you've accused me of being a racist. In all honesty I'm ok with that accusation. I know how things work in my country...I know I have SEVERAL friends and even FAMILY of other ethnicities INCLUDING black (My grandmother is black, and I can post photos of us to prove it if need be, and my other grandmother is nearly full blooded native American), so your opinion of my view on race really isn't a big deal to me lol.
Look the word nigger does not mean those people who commit crimes, to me that just shows your own ignorance. Its an offensive word with racist connetations that would 0ffend black people i know. you are using a word that described a race negatively to describe anyone commiting a crime. to me that says you think all criminals are niggers or everyone doing stuff like that. I know words evolve and change meanings, and that word is more part of everyday slang in America, and its been glamourised through the fake gangster rap culture that the record labels pushing. that doesnt make it right or OK..it just shows the ignorance and because other people do it then its 'cool' or Ok to do. Obviously within hiphop culture that word was used often but the true spirit of hiphop is expression and unity and the pioneers didnt use that word all the time. Now it doesnt even matter if you have friends/family who are black, I don't think you are racist personally but ignorant about this issue. It is part of the english language that some words are racist or offensive depending on their context. I wouldn't personally say the word and I think its kind of sad that people use the word 'nigger' and 'gay' to describe something derogatory without knowing much about it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Look the word nigger does not mean those people who commit crimes, to me that just shows your own ignorance. Its an offensive word with racist connetations that would 0ffend black people i know. you are using a word that described a race negatively to describe anyone commiting a crime. to me that says you think all criminals are niggers or everyone doing stuff like that. I know words evolve and change meanings, and that word is more part of everyday slang in America, and its been glamourised through the fake gangster rap culture that the record labels pushing. that doesnt make it right or OK..it just shows the ignorance and because other people do it then its 'cool' or Ok to do. Obviously within hiphop culture that word was used often but the true spirit of hiphop is expression and unity and the pioneers didnt use that word all the time. Now it doesnt even matter if you have friends/family who are black, I don't think you are racist personally but ignorant about this issue. It is part of the english language that some words are racist or offensive depending on their context. I wouldn't personally say the word and I think its kind of sad that people use the word 'nigger' and 'gay' to describe something derogatory without knowing much about it.
Tch...It's funny that you think I'm so "Ignorant" of the issue. Wanna know what the REAL issue is. It's that people keep MAKING it an issue. I'm ignorant to nothing. There is a specific use of the word here in America that differs from what you think it means. If you want my views on race, then watch this video. Come on, don't be shy...

Now that being said, I'm actually a REVOLUTIONARY, using a word that USED to describe and be atrociously derogatory to one race, and I am proving how it can be applied to ALL races, therefore cutting racism out of the picture ENTIRELY.
3. nigger
a term that is racist, as long as the speaker of it is not black. Forbidden on most all of television and other forms of public entertainment, at times referenced to as the "n-word". However, "cracker", a term racist against whites, is a completely acceptable term used in any context of any national broadcast...hmm...
White man: I would like to know why "cracker" and, ahem, "nigger" are not equally forbidden *white man is put on trial for racist slander*

4. nigger
nigga, niggah etc. al.(noun)1.describes an ignorant, uneducated, foolish individual regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Definition number 4 is the SINGLE way I use the term, and then, read definition number three again. Tell me why it is ok to use the term "Cracker' and not "Nigger" which is a racist slang for white developed by blacks. So much for equality.

Last edited:

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Really now? The "N" word is racist, period. Or any word that belittles a race. It doesn't take a debate or study to know this. Come on now end this already. It just left you guys arguing.

Last edited:

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
it doesnt matter that you use it in '4', other people will hear it and be offended, especially black people, you aren't black Kennedy and yes ignorant to the issue. Your certainly not a revolutionary for using the word nigger. i've never heard the word cracker used in the media or said anywhere near the amount i hear the word nigger. You are certainly not using the word in a positive light and are actually describing all stupid people or as you say with your made up definition:."(noun)1.describes an ignorant, uneducated, foolish individual regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, etc." this in my opinion is not revolutionary but the opposite and an oppressive use of the word which is in fact racist. As most people assume you are linking the word to negatively describing an entire race, you are using that word to describe something negative- similar to the issue with describing something as 'gay' as I mentioned earlier. It is not a negative word to be thrown around casually, and been American you should have some education about the slave trade and where the word f**king comes from.
You are actually blanking the racist conetations and assuming other people won't take offense to something that is ., by definition very offensive. Yeah Jay,. i am done with this argument really I have made my points heard and listened to kennedy's ideas. but it is an interesting debate and I am always interested in political correctness and different views about language.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Slavery was over 200 years ago. Using that as that in your argument REALLY isn't helping your case because it was just so long ago. That being said, times have evolved and changed. And it's not like blacks were the only people enslaved. Slavery has been going on for CENTURIES, and is STILL going on. Israelites were enslaved, as were children..Hell, there is still an illegal black market child slave trade ring...And little known fact, Albinos were treated JUST as negatively and ALSO as slaves during the colonial era. Also, I DO know my facts about American history, and I DO know that An Americans (Or Brits at the time seeing as it was also happening before the American Revolution) would come to Africa, and they would not just "kidnap" black people. They would actually EASILY convince black tribes to go hunt down and bring to them other RIVAL black tribesman as slaves. So there these people are. Hunting down their own kin in a since, in all likelihood because a man gave them Beads or metals, and for that, they would trade another black person over to these white men. So it's not like all colonial era black men were squeaky clean. They did just as much dirty work as far as assisting in getting slaves as the white man did, if not MORE.

But again, this actually nothing to do with the argument, because Americans have LONG gotten past the issue of the Rights and Wrongs of Slavery. And it's simply something all Americans read about in our history books. Be them Black, White, Asian, Mexican...It doesn't matter...It's history, and it's not being repeated. Actions speak louder than words my friend...Actions speak louder than words...And they always will...It's actually sad that you would take so much offense to a simple WORD when all you have to do is just stop listening. Cover your ears...Leave a conversation. There are plenty of ways to escape hearing the word nigger, or ANY other racial slur, so rather than make a huge deal of it, simply walk away.

In closing, I fell I have every right to use the word with the definition that I have stated, seeing as at one point I was a nigger. I lived on the streets...Literally held a knife to a mans back for his wallet...When I didn't wanna sleep in the cold I would just break into a building. I would dig food from a trash can. Ya, I WAS someone who didn't wanna work for what they've got. I WAS a nigger. Now tell me I'm racist. I've admitted to at one point BEING a nigger, so I'm not even using a definition of a word that I cannot relate to. I'm being honest about how I grew up, and how I saw SO MANY grow up living on the streets.

Last edited:

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
In closing, I fell I have every right to use the word with the definition that I have stated, seeing as at one point I was a nigger. I lived on the streets...Literally held a knife to a mans back for his wallet...When I didn't wanna sleep in the cold I would just break into a building. I would dig food from a trash can. Ya, I WAS someone who didn't wanna work for what they've got. I WAS a nigger. Now tell me I'm racist. I've admitted to at one point BEING a nigger, so I'm not even using a definition of a word that I cannot relate to. I'm being honest about how I grew up, and how I saw SO MANY grow up living on the streets.
I don't agree with that definition of the word, been homeless is not ' a nigger' and I believe that is racist whether describing yourself or others. That is ****ing stupid .

Top Bottom