• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Anyone willing to help me out with a crippling bug?

BigMac138

About two days ago for no reason, my RE8 would just blackscreen upon start up and then not respond. I have looked up and tried every single solution I can find. I messed with the config file, verified files, restarted laptop, ensured all drivers were updated, ensured Windows was updated, rolled back Windows updates, booted in a clean environment (might have done wrong so maybe with help I could retry it), ran as administrator, ran game directly through files, played in offline mode, reinstalled game, deleted existing files and then reinstalled game, overclocked my laptop, check to see if I had enough space and ram to run it, and even waited ten minutes to see if it was a loading issue. All have given me no results. I even manually went into Device Manager and checked to make sure that every driver that might be related to handling games was updated and still nothing. I'm at a complete loss on how this problem started or how to fix it and out of my friends, I'm the only one having this problem. If anyone has any idea that I could try, I would appreciate your help. Otherwise, I have to wait for the problem to fix itself via random updates to either my system or the game if that even works/happens. I really want to finish my first run of RE8 since I enjoy the game.

Murderer Enshrined

Sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest solutions

Buy a PS4 and then buy the PS4 version of RE8

Don't worry, I feel you'll do fine

Murderer Enshrined

If you're having a problem, others are having it, too. Open up the google search engine and in the text field type: resident evil village won't launch pc, or, re8 won't launch black screen.

I found this: Resident Evil Village (RE8) – Game won’t launch – How to fix

Also, found this:
  1. Launch the Steam client.
  2. Go to Library and right-click Resident Evil Village, and then select Properties.
  3. Click on the General tab and click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
  4. Type or paste -windowed -noborder .
  5. Press OK to exit.
I don't know if that will help, but, it's a start, I guess.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
About two days ago for no reason, my RE8 would just blackscreen upon start up and then not respond. I have looked up and tried every single solution I can find. I messed with the config file, verified files, restarted laptop, ensured all drivers were updated, ensured Windows was updated, rolled back Windows updates, booted in a clean environment (might have done wrong so maybe with help I could retry it), ran as administrator, ran game directly through files, played in offline mode, reinstalled game, deleted existing files and then reinstalled game, overclocked my laptop, check to see if I had enough space and ram to run it, and even waited ten minutes to see if it was a loading issue. All have given me no results. I even manually went into Device Manager and checked to make sure that every driver that might be related to handling games was updated and still nothing. I'm at a complete loss on how this problem started or how to fix it and out of my friends, I'm the only one having this problem. If anyone has any idea that I could try, I would appreciate your help. Otherwise, I have to wait for the problem to fix itself via random updates to either my system or the game if that even works/happens. I really want to finish my first run of RE8 since I enjoy the game.
Well that sucks - and it sounds like you've done quite a lot to try and fix it, too.

Any chance a file could be corrupted somewhere along the line? Have you installed any mods or extras that aren't part of the original game?

And, please don't be offended by this, but is your copy 100% legit?

BigMac138

Well that sucks - and it sounds like you've done quite a lot to try and fix it, too.

Any chance a file could be corrupted somewhere along the line? Have you installed any mods or extras that aren't part of the original game?

And, please don't be offended by this, but is your copy 100% legit?
I haven't downloaded a single mod for the game. I also bought the game legit through Steam. I'm not savvy enough nor good enough to pirate games. I also hate the idea since I myself want to become a game designer. So, me pirating is ****ing over the business I want to go into. I also wouldn't know what would have even been corrupted. One of the things I did was completely remove every trace of RE8 from my computer and then reinstall it. Not to mention I've verified the integrity of the files multiple times.

BigMac138

If you're having a problem, others are having it, too. Open up the google search engine and in the text field type: resident evil village won't launch pc, or, re8 won't launch black screen.

I found this: Resident Evil Village (RE8) – Game won’t launch – How to fix

Also, found this:
  1. Launch the Steam client.
  2. Go to Library and right-click Resident Evil Village, and then select Properties.
  3. Click on the General tab and click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
  4. Type or paste -windowed -noborder .
  5. Press OK to exit.
I don't know if that will help, but, it's a start, I guess.
That unfortunately didn't help, but I appreciate the suggestion. I looked through the rest of the solutions in that link and either I've done it already or it won't allow me to do it. Specifically, my computer won't let me download the WMVideo Decoder as it gives me the message "The update is not applicable to your computer.". Not sure if I should focus my efforts there, but at least it's something? I've also already scoured most of the internet, so the last resort I could think of was finding a forum like this and try asking people. A lot of the websites that deal with the problems of RE8 are months old and nothing seems to be recent with this problem I'm having being a week old now. I'm about ready to try and find some kind of IT guy or something and ask them for help.

Murderer Enshrined

In your initial post, you said, "out of my friends, I'm the only one having this problem.", would it be possible for you to have one of them look at your comp and see if they can't fix the problem? Because we can't really do anything unless we're right in front of your confuser.

BigMac138

In your initial post, you said, "out of my friends, I'm the only one having this problem.", would it be possible for you to have one of them look at your comp and see if they can't fix the problem? Because we can't really do anything unless we're right in front of your confuser.
Yeah, none of them are tech wizards. They are just fellow gamers. I more so asked them to boot up their versions of the game to see if a recent update to the game screwed over everyone who owned the game. Turns out it didn't and this problem is a me problem.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I haven't downloaded a single mod for the game. I also bought the game legit through Steam. I'm not savvy enough nor good enough to pirate games. I also hate the idea since I myself want to become a game designer. So, me pirating is ****ing over the business I want to go into. I also wouldn't know what would have even been corrupted. One of the things I did was completely remove every trace of RE8 from my computer and then reinstall it. Not to mention I've verified the integrity of the files multiple times.
That's cool, I just asked coz sometimes people either don't realise their copy isn't legit or else they genuinely pirate things and because "nothing's gone wrong yet", they think their games are invincible.

Ok, so you got an error message...did you have the decoder installed before, or is this a new thing you're trying and still no dice? From what brief googling I've seen, others seem to have a lot of trouble with the decoder. Different errors to yours, I think, but still problems.

Are you running Windows 10? Is it possible to roll it back to a previous installation to see if that helps with installing the decoder?

EDIT: someone on Reddit has the same problem as you; I've not checked the links provided within the thread, but if you haven't already, it might be worth taking a look?

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/n38qhu
Unless that's actually you. In which case, ignore me

BigMac138

That's cool, I just asked coz sometimes people either don't realise their copy isn't legit or else they genuinely pirate things and because "nothing's gone wrong yet", they think their games are invincible.

Ok, so you got an error message...did you have the decoder installed before, or is this a new thing you're trying and still no dice? From what brief googling I've seen, others seem to have a lot of trouble with the decoder. Different errors to yours, I think, but still problems.

Are you running Windows 10? Is it possible to roll it back to a previous installation to see if that helps with installing the decoder?

EDIT: someone on Reddit has the same problem as you; I've not checked the links provided within the thread, but if you haven't already, it might be worth taking a look?

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/n38qhu
Unless that's actually you. In which case, ignore me
I don't actually get an error message. The game just blackscreens immediately upon start up and then becomes unresponsive. Yes I am running Windows 10 and yes I already did roll back updates. Still didn't work. WMVideo Decoder should be working since when I first booted up the game when I bought it, it told me that I needed to download WMVideo Decoder which I did. I've also tried waiting 10 minutes but it still doesn't load. For context, before this problem happened when I would boot up the game, it would load in a matter of seconds. At this point I've decided to send a help ticket to Capcom which is now going to take forever.

SpaceOwlHoot

Do you hear any sound coming from the game at all?

Try not putting RE8 in your google query so something like 'steam game launches to black screen'.
More results might pop up with other users having the same symptoms but with different games where their solution might work for you too

Here is one that popped up

BigMac138

An update if this helps give anyone any ideas. I installed RE8 onto my brother's computer using my account and the game works. That means that the files themselves aren't corrupt in any way. It means that something specifically going on with my laptop is causing the problem.

BigMac138

Do you hear any sound coming from the game at all?

Try not putting RE8 in your google query so something like 'steam game launches to black screen'.
More results might pop up with other users having the same symptoms but with different games where their solution might work for you too

Here is one that popped up
I'll try that. Also i get no sound from the game whatsoever.

BigMac138

Are you on an ASUS laptop, and it worked before you updated?

You might be dealing with this same issue and there is currently no fix besides rolling back to a previous version of the game...

Yeah Im on an ASUS laptop. Should have probably said that sooner, though with everything else on my mind, I didn't think to add that detail to my post. I'll check through the forum and see if their solution works.

BigMac138

Yeah Im on an ASUS laptop. Should have probably said that sooner, though with everything else on my mind, I didn't think to add that detail to my post. I'll check through the forum and see if their solution works.
Can't even do your solution. I'm stopped at the first step since when I try to add -console into the Target section under Properties, it says "The name '....' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct". Which, I'm unsure what is wrong since I am editing the right thing which is the Steam shortcut.

wonderboyZOM

Can't even do your solution. I'm stopped at the first step since when I try to add -console into the Target section under Properties, it says "The name '....' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct". Which, I'm unsure what is wrong since I am editing the right thing which is the Steam shortcut.
There is a new patch coming August 10th. Hopefully that fixes our issue, since I am still on the release version.

BigMac138

Finally! Case closed! The update that came out today has fixed my problem! I appreciate all those who answered on my post and tried to help me. I truly do appreciate it. I'm just said that I put forth all that time and effort only for the patch to fix my problem.

Top Bottom