• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ada's character & personality progression

TyrantNemesis

I'LL GIVE YOU STARS!
Let me first start off by saying, Ada is my favorite character out of all the games. Why? Because she's mysterious and hot...and she can kick anyone's ass, with a smile on her face.
That's besides the point, though.
I'm here to talk about how much her character has evolved over the past 16 years or so.

In Resident Evil 2, Ada's character is first introduced. I must say, that her character's personality is completely different in RE2. She is calm, friendly and isn't as deceitful. She doesn't flirt with Leon. Plus, she doesn't show us her awesome martial arts, with the exception that she slaps the taste buds out of Annette's mouth.

But... In Resident Evil 4, her character sort of changes. She becomes "The Bitch in the red dress". Which kind of sums it up. She knows martial arts, has a grapple gun, commences sexual innuendo "That's a large thing you have there."...(Probably my favorite Ada Wong quote)... and teases Leon throughout the entire game. Capcom, did exceptionally well with her character in this one.

Resident Evil 6, not much changes except, of course her looks and her voice actress (Courtenay Taylor). She no longer looks like she is of Chinese descent, but rather more of American. She says a few funny things as well. And the sexual innuendo only gets better, not to mention while crawling through air vents. I like her character in RE6 , but it just really isn't the "Ada" that I'm used too.

And also, I think she looks kind of evil In 'Damnation'. Awesome ****ing movie, by the way. If that would have been a 'live-action film', with actors that actually looked and acted like the video game characters, I think that would have raised the bar by a long shot

So what do you guys think? Anyone else agree?
Thanks for reading everyone.

AlexiaAshford

Well, I think that Ada was well-portrayed in RE6. She acted kinda like a troll in this game... very witty, quick-thinking and although she displayed concern for those around her -- she even saved Jake and Sherry -- she remained a loner, as usual.

However, I'd prefer if all this mystery surrounding her was solved at one point in the series. Whose side is she on, after all? What are her motivations, if she has any? She is cool, witty and charismatic, but this ambiguity surrouding her is annoying at times. Ok, it was fine in RE2, when she was introduced... but now, almost twenty years have passed since the Raccoon incident and we still don't know who exactly is she.

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
I know that some of you won't agree but personally i liked re2 Ada the most and as for her look i liked re4 one ,well the reason why i liked re2 Ada the most is that i hate the cocky versions of her like re4 and re6 , i prefer the innocent sensitive lady in re2 way more .Anyway while i don't care about Ada i still think that she's a cool character well i don't think i could descibe her character in details so here it is ^_^ https://www.residentevil.net/recollections/dw260.html?l=en

Last edited:

TyrantNemesis

I'LL GIVE YOU STARS!
I know that some of you won't agree but personally i liked re2 Ada the most and as for her look i liked re4 one ,well the reason why i liked re2 Ada the most is that i hate the cocky versions of her like re4 and re6 , i prefer the innocent sensitive lady in re2 way more .Anyway while i don't care about Ada i still think that she's a cool character well i don't think i could descibe her character in details so here it is ^_^ https://www.residentevil.net/recollections/dw260.html?l=en
Although I love the cocky and smart attitude, I agree with you. I like the innocent Ada too :)

Masterteo89_

I don't like Ada Wong. Mostly because i like a little thing called logic. And in my opinion she unlikely survived in RE2...

Let's analize it.

LeonA : she fell for God only know how many meters.

LeonB : She was thrown so hard against a console that she smashed it. As she smashed with the chest! Goodbye ribs... and remember that she was thrown by a damn Tyrant, that is stronger than a human.

And in all this, LeonA or B, we should belive that not only she was alive...but had the strength to lift a rocket launcher ( with broken ribs? ) and throw it at you. And not only that, she also managed somehow to escape in less then 5 minutes.

Really? Even if she was alive...escaping in less than 5 minutes with the wounds that she should have?

Come on, this is simply too much. It's more easy to belive that T-virus exist in real life than beliving that Ada survived the Racoon city incident.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
My only issue with the games characters lately is that theyre all becoming comical. The characters now take moments as much as they can to come out with one liners. Its okay and funny when they do it but when they do it all the time i just find it annoying for their character.
Leon did this alot in re4, ada a little bit but in re6 it just progressed.

Masterteo89_

One liners are easy to do, do not require great immagination. " Deep " conversations, that is what force a development team to use the brain.

Notice that deep is a bold word, in RE franchise. But still, RE 1 - 2 - 3 - CV had better dialogues and only a few one liners. ( I remember only a few. For example, in RE2 the only one liner is used when killing the Tyrant with the rocket launcher. Stop ).

But why waste time and efforts, when you can do a one liner followed by a nice action scene?

...obviously there is sarcasm here. But it's the truth. One liners are good only if you don't want to waste the time needed to create good, interesting dialogues.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
One liners are easy to do, do not require great immagination. " Deep " conversations, that is what force a development team to use the brain.

Notice that deep is a bold word, in RE franchise. But still, RE 1 - 2 - 3 - CV had better dialogues and only a few one liners. ( I remember only a few. For example, in RE2 the only one liner is used when killing the Tyrant with the rocket launcher. Stop ).

But why waste time and efforts, when you can do a one liner followed by a nice action scene?

...obviously there is sarcasm here. But it's the truth. One liners are good only if you don't want to waste the time needed to create good, interesting dialogues.

That's another reason I like Chris. He doesn't have too many of those. He has more important lines.

Masterteo89_

There is only one character that is allowed to have a one liner. And that is because he is so damn stubborn that the one liner fit his character...

Need another hint?

...Stars...[insert growl here].

When playing RE3 on psx for the first time (good times, i was a kid), after the...i don't know...5th time maybe that i faced Nemesis...

...on each new encounter with him i imagined Jill facepalming and muttering " oh man, you again... "

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
There is only one character that is allowed to have a one liner. And that is because he is so damn stubborn that the one liner fit his character...

Need another hint?

...Stars...[insert growl here].

When playing RE3 on psx for the first time (good times, i was a kid), after the...i don't know...5th time maybe that i faced Nemesis...

...on each new encounter with him i imagined Jill facepalming and muttering " oh man, you again... "
Never mind jill doing that. Everytime i heard the music it startled me until i got to the point where i had all of the items needed to power thr tram and he was blocking thr fork in thr road. I didnt really react. I just knew i was going to be delayed regardless.

In continuation of the constant one liners thing. Its one of the reasons i dislike leon so much. Hes too big headed and cockey, and doesnt seem to take things serioudly (particulary in damnation).
Ada is borderline this way but its her character, thiuhh shes getting worse. It will get to thr point where a spin off panel show game series will be released.

Masterteo89_

In continuation of the constant one liners thing. Its one of the reasons i dislike leon so much. Hes too big headed and cockey, and doesnt seem to take things serioudly (particulary in damnation).
Ada is borderline this way but its her character, thiuhh shes getting worse.

Agree. Another reason why i do not like new RE games...

In RE2 Leon was surely not cockey. To tell the truth, he made me smile. He tryed to act as the police officer that he was, but being a rookie noone really followed him. He had the uniform but he lacked the needed charisma.

Still, he was serious and his spirit was noble (like when he took the bullets that would have hit Ada in the sewer).

I liked Leon. I consider him a more gentle and less experienced version of Chris.

---------------

Ada. Ada in RE2 was...Ada. Just play RE2 and you will notice how different was her personality in that game.

---------------
---------------

In my opinion Ada and Leon'characterization after RE2 did not improve. Not at all.

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
Agree. Another reason why i do not like new RE games...

In RE2 Leon was surely not cockey. To tell the truth, he made me smile. He tryed to act as the police officer that he was, but being a rookie noone really followed him. He had the uniform but he lacked the needed charisma.

Still, he was serious and his spirit was noble (like when he took the bullets that would have hit Ada in the sewer).

I liked Leon. I consider him a more gentle and less experienced version of Chris.

---------------

Ada. Ada in RE2 was...Ada. Just play RE2 and you will notice how different was her personality in that game.

---------------
---------------

In my opinion Ada and Leon'characterization after RE2 did not improve. Not at all.
Why everyone seems to forget about re6 Leon i mean he's serious all the time and also he resembles his re2 self ,as for Ada i think she's the one that lacks progression of her personality where Leon's personality is different in every resident evil title so you can't judge him properly since he's suffering from multiple personality syndrome look at him in re2 when he was a rookie and inexperienced ,next re4 when he's cocky and acts like "Mr.cool guy" ,then in degeneration when he acts like a complete robot , damnation when he's cocky...again and finally re6 Mr. serious Leon , but what about Jake from re6?

Masterteo89_

Why everyone seems to forget about re6 Leon i mean he's serious all the time and also he resembles his re2 self ,as for Ada i think she's the one that lacks progression of her personality where Leon's personality is different in every resident evil title so you can't judge him properly since he's suffering from multiple personality syndrome look at him in re2 when he was a rookie and inexperienced ,next re4 when he's cocky and acts like "Mr.cool guy" ,then in degeneration when he acts like a complete robot , damnation when he's cocky...again and finally re6 Mr. serious Leon , but what about Jake from re6?

Character development doesn't mean " a different character in each game". The potrait of Leon as you show it, is of a bad, bad kind of character development. As you say, he seems to suffer of multiple personality syndrome.

I can't judge him? Yes, i can. Because a character development start from the beginning. And RE2 is the first game where we see Leon. This means that Leon's character development start from RE2, not from another random point.

Reactions: Hel
Top Bottom