• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Square vs. Capcom Fighting Game In the Works?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
You guys may not know this, but I'm a big fighting game fanatic. Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the last gen systems was one of, if not my favorite fighting game ever. As much as I'd love me a next gen MvC4 on PS4, I know it's not gonna happen anytime soon, and maybe not ever as their contract with Marvel expired ever since Disney bought them out so you gotta wonder: what's next for Capcom on the crossover fighting game list?

We already know there's a Tekken X Street Fighter (SF-Tekken crossover using the Tekken engine) in development, but I get the feeling they may not be done there. MvC is one of their best-selling fighting games ever, right behind SF, and we all know the kind of rut Capcom is in financially. They'll do anything for a quick buck at this point. They'd be well-versed to reach out to another big-name developer to produce a new series of "___ vs Capcom" crossover fighting games with using the MvC engine. It would be the next best thing for all the fans dying for a next-gen MvC game and rack in millions of dollars. They could also get them to co-fund it in order to keep development costs down (similar to the Sony SF5 deal) so they can hopefully get back to making more big-name AAA games in the near future (I'd love me a next gen Onimusha or Dino Crisis reboot).

Well, according to this here video, it looks like they may well be alluding to a Square-Capcom crossover game of some kind happening in the near future:

My guess is it's a Square vs. Capcom fighting game. :D

Think of all the intriguing matchups you could have:

• Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) vs. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
    Every fanboy's dream matchup right here, including mine. :D
  • Agent 47 (Hitman) vs. Chris Redfield/Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
  • Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Adam Jensen (Deus Ex) vs Mega Man (Mega Man, duh)
  • Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Vergil (Devil May Cry)
  • Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
  • Yuna (Final Fantasy X/X2) vs. Ada Wong (Resident Evil)
List goes on and on.

So what do you think? Would you like to see a MvC-style Square V Capcom fighting game crossover?

Airaku

Stray Jedi
This would be cool but.... it won't be the same. Capcom verse Tekken didn't really work. Only the street fighter characters worked. Marvel vs Capcom DOES work. Heck, the Resident Evil franchise alone fits perfectly in the Marvel universe with all it's science and Albert Wesker is a villain that could appear and in Marvel comic or film and it would feel natural.

Funny thing is... I acutally came up with a basic premise and plot points for a MvC film.... okay a quadrilogy of films. I took into count all of the characters Marvel has the rights too in the MCU. Who would work and who wouldn't and which villain's to use and which hero match up would be perfect. Yes... it's dark and would need to be a side-canon of the main MCU. Thor vs Dante fighting like arrogant dicks until forming an alliance? Hell yes xD (and that's just the tip of the iceberg) >.>

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Marvel's not in a tight financial situation, Capcom is.

So they say.... yet Capcom keeps throwing money around and saying they would rather make a higher quality game with less sales than a **** game with lots of sales. They have 3 or 4 engines out and/or in the works.

Where the hell are they getting the money?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
So they say.... yet Capcom keeps throwing money around and saying they would rather make a higher quality game with less sales than a **** game with lots of sales. They have 3 or 4 engines out and/or in the works.

Where the hell are they getting the money?

They said they didn't even have the funds to make SF5 until Sony came to them and offered to co-fund it. A lot of people want a next-gen Marvel vs. Capcom 4 which can't happen, so reaching out to another big name company for a crossover fighting game using the MvC engine and co-funding it together would also increase their revenue at minimal cost. Square also has a wide variety of interesting IPs they could use for it, it would be nice to see the newly-rebooted Lara Croft in another game IMO.

Oddly enough, MS fanboys use the SF5 console exclusivity deal to justify the Tomb Raider XB1 timed deal. The difference is: one was already well in-development, and MS threw money at em to keep it off other systems for a whole year (ROTTR) while the other wouldn't have been made at all if Sony hadn't co-funded it (SF5). And they still gave PC players cross-play and let em play it on launch day, unlike MS. The SF5 deal is pretty much a more acceptable version of the Bayonetta 2 situation. It benefited the wrong market, but Nintendo was not in the wrong on that deal.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
They said they didn't even have the funds to make SF5 until Sony came to them and offered to co-fund it. A lot of people want a next-gen Marvel vs. Capcom 4 which can't happen, so reaching out to another big name company for a crossover fighting game using the MvC engine and co-funding it together would also increase their revenue at minimal cost. Square also has a wide variety of interesting IPs they could use for it, it would be nice to see the newly-rebooted Lara Croft in another game IMO.

Oddly enough, MS fanboys use the SF5 console exclusivity deal to justify the Tomb Raider XB1 timed deal. The difference is: one was already well in-development, and MS threw money at em to keep it off other systems for a whole year (ROTTR) while the other wouldn't have been made at all if Sony hadn't co-funded it (SF5). And they still gave PC players cross-play and let em play it on launch day, unlike MS. The SF5 deal is pretty much a more acceptable version of the Bayonetta 2 situation. It benefited the wrong market, but Nintendo was not in the wrong on that deal.

That's the thing though. They are going to let people unlock everything in game, which is revolutionary for this day and age even if it takes a lot of play time. They are working on multiple game engines, and multiple games, especially Resident Evil in development.

Umbrella Corps doesn't look like it's costing them that but it isn't free. I don't think they are getting funding. Capcom isn't doing well... no... but the doom and gloom has been going on for a few years and then they always come and surprise us. So it's hard to say.... I'd imagine the budget is really high on RE7 given the amount of revisions it has had to date......

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I realize that. Never said Marvel would develop he game? o-o

You mean have Capcom publish the game? Even though none of their characters would be in it and their contract with Marvel expired? How is that gonna work?

But yeah, Square has quite a few characters who's moveset/abilities would translate well to a MvC-style fighting game. Virtually any of the Final Fantasy characters would work, Agent 47 could work, Lara could work, Deus Ex's Adam Jensen could work. Also, Zero (Drakengard 3), her and Darkstalkers' Morrigan would make an intriguing fight. Parasite Eve's Aya Brea was in League of Legends and a DLC character in Dissidia Final Fantasy, so she could work.

Plus there's so much untapped potential with Capcom's older IPs that have never been in a MvC game before. Dino Crisis' Regina could make a comeback, you could do all kinds of creative stuff with her. You could give her a tranq gun attack that stuns your opponent and leaves him/her open to attacks/combos, and how awesome would it be to have her unleash dinosaurs as a Hyper Combo similar to Jill's Tyrant special move in MvC2?:

One could be a stampede of velociraptors and another (perhaps her main one) could be a single T-Rex. The running animation on that would look freaking cool MvC3-style. :happy: Not to mention it would be a nice cash-grab in advertising for it, capitalizing off Jurassic World's success. It could also be a nice precedent for a Dino Crisis reboot somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
You mean have Capcom publish the game? Even though none of their characters would be in it and their contract with Marvel expired? How is that gonna work?
I never said it was a plausible or even possible if. A lack of Capcom characters does not necessarily suggest a lack of Capcom.

My point was that a Marvel vs DC game would be popular. I don't really get why you would nitpick such a vague and nonpointed comment.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I got a nice template for a SE-Capcom crossover. Not an actual game (though it hopefully will be one day), just an idea I had for a MvC-styled fighting game featuring Square-Enix characters and Capcom's characters.

Plot: overlords M. Bison and Gilgamesh, in a thirst for power, hold a tournament to determine who'll reign supreme (pretty simplistic really).

Roster:

Square-Enix:
-----------------------------------------------
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)
Yuna (Final Fantasy X/XI)
Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
Magnus (Chrono Trigger)
Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Zero (Drakengard 3)
Kain (Soul Reaver)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Agent 47 (Hitman)
Garrett (Thief)
Alicia (Valkyrie Profile 2)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Riku (Kingdom Hearts)
Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)
Meracle Chamlotte (Star Ocean IV)
Reimi Saionji (Star Ocean IV)
Rico Rodriguez (Just Cause)

End Boss: Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy)*

Capcom
--------------------------------------------------
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Vega (Street Fighter)
Akuma (Street Fighter)
Mega Man (Mega Man)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Falcon (Powerstone)
Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
Demetri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)
Regina (Dino Crisis)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Ada Wong (Resident Evil)
Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Vergil (Devil May Cry)
Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Strider Hiryu (Strider)
Nathan Spencer (Bionic Commando)

End Boss: M. Bison** (Street Fighter)

Basically, who the end boss is will be determined by who you select (you select up to 3 characters).

*2 or more of your characters are on Capcom's side: you fight Gilgamesh.
**2 or more of your characters are on SE's side: you fight M. Bison.

So, you like my choice of characters on both sides?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I would play the HELL out of this. Fighting games are among my favorite genre's of games...think of all the possible matchups!

Sora vs. Dante
Leon vs. Cloud
Laura Croft vs. Jill

This game would WOOOOOORK

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Dante would tear Sora a new asshole like you wouldn't believe.... Leon would be ****ed by Cloud... and Jill would turn Laura Croft into a Laura sandwich... Really.

Want add Phoenix Wright vs. Nemesis to that list as well?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I would play the HELL out of this. Fighting games are among my favorite genre's of games...think of all the possible matchups!

Sora vs. Dante
Leon vs. Cloud
Laura Croft vs. Jill

This game would WOOOOOORK

It's Lara.

But yeah, it would be awesome.

Also, little food for thought: Square-Enix is owned by Disney, who also owns the rights to Marvel characters, so who knows? Maybe they'd let em use a couple to sell off the MvC brand. I'd love me some Ultron personally, or Carnage. They've never been in a MvC game. Hell, Dr. Doom would fit in nicely with all the RPG characters they have, FF especially, since we all know he's a big wielder of magic. Scarlet Witch would also be a good fit with the kind of universe a lot of their characters are set in.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
^Well, not sure if Disney owns the entire company per se, but they do own the rights to their Kingdom Hearts series and they can't use characters from or make KH games without their permission, so as long as they're hypothetically trying to get KH characters in the game (and I don't see why the hell they wouldn't, it's one of their bigger-name franchises), they might as well try and get permission to use Marvel characters while they're at it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
^Well, not sure if Disney owns the entire company per se, but they do own the rights to their Kingdom Hearts series and they can't use characters from or make KH games without their permission, so as long as they're hypothetically trying to get KH characters in the game (and I don't see why the hell they wouldn't, it's one of their bigger-name franchises), they might as well try and get permission to use Marvel characters while they're at it.
They can too use Kingdom Hearts characters...They just can't use the Disney branded ones. Riku, Sora, Roxas, Axel and other assorted characters can be used without their permission.

lorddemolatron

CP and BP fan forever
If this would happen well I would in truth buy PS4 not only for some games i planned to have and have that console but also this since some of characters on both sides also are mine favourite ones, so I would been pleased with this Xover game too.

MissDomino

Premium
Oooooh~ any Full Metal Alchemist characters would be a nice addition. Also if Square Enix include some of the Eidos franchises, a nod to Taito would be interesting.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Oooooh~ any Full Metal Alchemist characters would be a nice addition. Also if Square Enix include some of the Eidos franchises, a nod to Taito would be interesting.
While I would love to play as FMA characters, that'd be a bit of a stretch. While SqareEnix made the games, the characters themselves are owned by Funimation. So that's another company who they would need the approval from, and more importantly to share a cut of the $$$ with...When people think SquareEnix, they don't really think FMA, so I doubt too many people would be disappointed if they weren't in there. It's a nice wish though...

Top Bottom