• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your GOTY 2011

What was your Game of the Year 2011?

• Total voters

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Just curious as to everyone's favourite game(s) of 2011, because 2011 was such an amazing year for games.

I know the poll doesn't specify every single amazing game, I wish I could add all of them on. I know I've missed out fantastic titles such as Dark Souls, Rayman Origins, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Dead Space 2, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and Assassin's Creed Revelations. Use the [OTHER] choice on the poll to specify one of these or another game.

I am including my top five and my Nolan North count for this year.

My person top five of this year are as follows:
5. L.A. Noire - I am a sucker for period dramas like this, I know it's set about 13 years before Mad Men but I do blame that show partially for getting me hooked on this game (I know about half the cast from the show were in this game too). I really liked the graphics, the acting and the way this was set up, but it could have been more immersive. It was also very repetitive after a while, and the ending was very flat.
4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - This was an amazing game but should have been better than it was. Some cinematic scenes such as the burning house and the plane crash bettered some cinematic sequences in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves but as a package I have to say its predecessor was the better game. Many familiar faces make 'obligatory cameos' and barely contributed to the plot, giant plot bombshells were revealed that were never elaborated on again (I know we could hear about them in future games, but like the Indiana Jones movies these are self-contained adventures and should have been fully fleshed out now) and we don't learn much about the villains and their motivations, which was mega irritating. It ripped off Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade royally. It was also way too short. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing, but all its shortcomings really made me especially irritated with the game! It should have been more than it was!
3. Batman: Arkham City - beautiful gameplay, immersive environments, great characters, giant plot twist = a recipe for an amazing game. Although in some ways I preferred the terrifying setting of the asylum, I also fell in love with the long, bleak streets of Arkham City. Pity Harley Quinn's voice actor changed though, she's not as good as Sorkin. Also in trailers and the comic book leading up to this game there was a lot of emphasis on how Hugo Strange knew Batman's real identity... and that was sort of skimmed over in the actual game.
2. Gears of War 3 - I'll admit, I was never a Gears gamer before this. My partner bought it and, for lols, I decided to join in in co-op mode. I got completely addicted and have since finished the first and almost the second game (near the end I think). Yeah, it's not exactly the most riveting story you ever heard. But I love the characters, the graphics were stunning, the gameplay really suited me and that scene had me nearly in tears even though I hadn't played the previous games.
1. Portal 2 - "SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!" I have so much love for this game. Just so much love. Fantastic plot, great characters, great puzzles, brilliant acting. This game was a joy from start to finish and the co-op mode was also so much fun. It really improved upon the original even though the original was an amazing game to start with.

Nolan North featured in three of the five games I chose as my top five GOTY.

Screenshot2012-01-19at102744.png

Hoady

Gears of War 3.Everything was touched up perfect!!Great campaign, Versus and Horde provide countless hours of fun and they are always updating the game with the event calendar.Although it feels less intense then Gears 2 versus in my eyes(matches are not as competitive)its an incredible addition and they fixed all the nasty bugs and connection issues.Unfortunately my entire rank/stats reset and havent played it in awhile x_x

Some quick mentions.
Skyrim:I love skyrim but i eventually got bored(clocked 70 hours now but compared to morrowind..nuthin!).Its an incredible game but i've done the whole elder scrolls morrowind,oblivion formula for awhile and when i switch it on i eventually get deterred quickly.Amazing everything,beautiful world,music,ridiculously amazing detail but i dunno.

Batman Arkham City: Only started playing recently.They did a darrnnnn fine job.Batman Arkham asylum is the only game i have actually clocked 100% on the xbox 360 so its a welcomingly awesome game so far.But for now i can't give it a proper review(but it kicks ass!).

Modern Warfare 3:Is this modern warfare 2?let me just double check the disc...

haven't played the rest!

A_Wesker123

The Original
Skyrim is without a doubt my personal GOTY, with Arkham City a close second.

It's wasn't a great year for gaming, at least for my own personal tastes, and so i've not played a lot of games released in 2011. LA Noire was good for a playthrough, but once you know the story and the suspects, playing through it again seems pointless.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Skyrim without a doubt. Bethesda's craftsmanship is unparalleled in the industry if you ask me. Another game may keep you occupied for longer for whatever reason, but who can honestly say they played a game this year that had more blood, sweat, and tears put into its design than Skyrim?

sadistic_greyfox

Skyrim, I'm still playing it, talk about the content jammed into that game. still not done with the game and I play it like every other day on 6 hour stretches :D .

Meg

So bin ich eben
My favorite game that I played in 2011 actually came out in 2010: Super Scribblenauts. XD As far as games that came out in 2011 my favorite is Killzone 3. El Shaddai is the runner up. Deus Ex: HR and AC: Revelations are also very good.

L

Lurker
I'm alone on this- the PSP localization of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. The first Persona wasn't great and the third was godly, so I just wanted to try out at least one of the second ones. I love it. It does get repetitive, however, but the story is awkward yet quite good.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
My favorite game of the year has ended up in a tie between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Shadows of the Damned. I really can't choose which one is my favorite. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a story that I love, stealth gameplay with RPG and shooter elements that got me addicted, the ability to take any route I want causing more replayability, it's challenging difficulty, and upgrades that I actually give a d*** about and actually change the gameplay or are actually helpful made this one of my favorites of 2011. As for Shadows of the Damned it's got a story that I love, gameplay that I love, sound design that I thought sounded sweet, music that has already became my favorite soundtrack of 2011 and one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and some more stuff that I like. I just can't choose which I like more.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Skyrim. I don't even need to think twice about that lol. I look at it this way: what game has consumed what little free time I get? Skyrim :D

I regret nothing.
I have not tried any of the games on the list, but I have read about some of the games. I'll vote Skyrim with you, what I've read and heard about it impresses me. xD

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I think I'm the only Portal 2 fanatic here. Hahahaha
Don't be so sure of that. It could be that you're the only one who has Portal 2 as number 1. ;)

I have a fear of portals, you never know what's on the other side... :confused:

Some Nights

No Shape
I hate to be rude, but why Catherine? It was a pretty good game, but the more you look into it the worse it was.

I'm just a really big fan of puzzle games (decent puzzle games are hard to come by.) Add in the story, soundtrack, and art style and it was an easy choice for me. I also really liked the moral choices and the difficulty. Many of the more recent games hold your hand a bit too much in my opinion.

L

Lurker
I'm just a really big fan of puzzle games (decent puzzle games are hard to come by.) Add in the story, soundtrack, and art style and it was an easy choice for me. I also really liked the moral choices and the difficulty. Many of the more recent games hold your hand a bit too much in my opinion.
Can't argue with that. Anyway, if you like Catherine, you'll probably like Katawa Shoujo. Just google it, it's freeware.

Some Nights

No Shape
Can't argue with that. Anyway, if you like Catherine, you'll probably like Katawa Shoujo. Just google it, it's freeware.
It's funny that you mentioned that because I am also a big fan of visual novel type games. I'll check it out really soon, thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom