• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

With what character you identify more? and why?

Mr Redfield

Jill Sandwiches cooking teacher
Of the entire resident evil saga, what character is your favorite, do you identify whith that character?

Well i love Chris Redfield :p im not gay ¬¬ haha and well for me he is the best character if the entire saga because he is very good with weapons and melee combat, has good tactics, is smart and loves jill valentine, i also love her :oops:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I think most people that say they identify with a character is full of it.

I disagree with this. When one is writing a character, the idea is not necessarily to make the character's physical appearance or set of skills just like everyone else so that they will be loved, but rather the journey and choices that a character makes and experiences on an emotional level because everyone, everywhere goes through emotional turmoils that can be more easily compared to that of another than say, a physical attribute.

The original poster can say that he identifies with Chris and his relationship with Jill if he's ever had a close relationship with a woman, and most men here can identify with that I'm sure. We don't know that Mr Redfield has or doesn't have weapons experience or close combat experience. If he does, these would cause him to identify with Chris even more. Point being, there are many, many ways to identify with a character, not just with physical appearance.

My favorite character in the games is Wesker. Do I identify with him? In certain ways. I'm obviously not a man and I'm not a mastermind behind some evil plot that has devastated the planet, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to control my life and possibly the lives of those around me... I have something of an alpha personality and so a quality such as this is just ingrained in me. And I just happen to be one of those people that thinks if the vast majority of mankind was to be wiped out, it probably wouldn't hurt anybody. Mankind has destroyed the planet and themselves and unless we as a people learn to change our ways, we're going to end up killing each other anyway. But that doesn't mean I'm ready to go build some bioweapon that'll get the job done right this minute.

My favorite character in the movies is Rain. Do I identify with her? In certain ways. I am female and do have a slight resemblence to her. I do not have advanced weapons and combat training, however I am familiar with holding and firing several types of weapons and have some beginner boxing training. I have lost someone close to me in a situation where I felt like I should've been able to save them; to do something about it. I have felt like at times in my life, it was me versus an onslaught of enemies and bad luck. I haven't died recently (lol), though I have had several near death experiences and had to be recusitated on 3 separate occasions when I was young.

My life easily does not parallel the lives of the characters in Resident Evil, including those mentioned in this post, but we do have some similarities. The goal of any character, from the viewpoint of the creator at least, is to get the audience or viewer to, in some way, shape or form, to identify with their characters. Otherwise the character would be pointless and would not exist.

Silverback

Moving Mountains

That makes perfect sense, but I was referring to a physical level. Not many gamers can identify with a man who moves boulders with his fists or flips over lasers, because physically speaking, those feats are most probably impossible.

You are correct, however. That post was pretty shallow of me, really.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I think I identify more with Chris, since he's calm and doesn't like to expose his feelings. He's also smart and likes to protect the ones around him.

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
I would say that im more comparable to james sunderland, considering that i look like him.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
I've always identified with Claire and Rebecca.

Claire because although I am sensitive I can harden up under pressure and actually do well under pressure in most cases. I also look out for everyone else first before I look out for myself.

Rebecca because I'm also in the medical field, can be shy at times and sensitive. I also have empathy with others and care too much at times. I am usually the youngest around my peers and they underestimate me a lot of the time, when in fact I'm usually more capable and smarter than they ever will be. :p

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I would say that im more comparable to james sunderland, considering that i look like him.

Hmm wrong game... lol

My favorite characters are Chris, Wesker, Claire and Barry. They're just awesome.

The ones that I personally can identify with are Claire and Wesker.

I can relate to Claire the most because she is really close with her older brother like I am with my older brothers. While my brothers haven't taught me any specific tactical fighting moves or given me any cool knives (turds), they have definitely toughened me up physically and mentally (unless I'm on my period, then my emotions are all over the place.... like right now.... it can't be helped). I think Claire's emotional side is another reason I can relate to her; she's not one for pushing back her emotions like many of the other characters tend to do- be it because they're trained to or just because they just don't like to show them (neither do I for that matter but they come anyways). But we're both still tough lil' ladies and have a tomboy side to us where we take interest in things that most girls don't. I'm also a bit on the nurturing side and could definitely see myself going out of my way to help a child/animal/person in need. Also, as far as personal taste in style, I always tend to pull my hair back in a ponytail/updo, I just feel more comfortable that way.

As for relating to Wesker, I can agree with some of Wesker's feelings about people and the world, but his way of going about the issues and his desire to play "God" are both things that divide us. While we're both a bit on the loner-ish side and think we don't need anyone else, that doesn't keep us from wanting anyone else.

I know, Wesker, soon Chris will understand. :p

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
Hmm wrong game... lol

My favorite characters are Chris, Wesker, Claire and Barry. They're just awesome.

The ones that I personally can identify with are Claire and Wesker.

I can relate to Claire the most because she is really close with her older brother like I am with my older brothers. While my brothers haven't taught me any specific tactical fighting moves or given me any cool knives (turds), they have definitely toughened me up physically and mentally (unless I'm on my period, then my emotions are all over the place.... like right now.... it can't be helped). I think Claire's emotional side is another reason I can relate to her; she's not one for pushing back her emotions like many of the other characters tend to do- be it because they're trained to or just because they just don't like to show them (neither do I for that matter but they come anyways). But we're both still tough lil' ladies and have a tomboy side to us where we take interest in things that most girls don't. I'm also a bit on the nurturing side and could definitely see myself going out of my way to help a child/animal/person in need. Also, as far as personal taste in style, I always tend to pull my hair back in a ponytail/updo, I just feel more comfortable that way.

As for relating to Wesker, I can agree with some of Wesker's feelings about people and the world, but his way of going about the issues and his desire to play "God" are both things that divide us. While we're both a bit on the loner-ish side and think we don't need anyone else, that doesn't keep us from wanting anyone else.

I know, Wesker, soon Chris will understand. :p

I know :p Just had to throw that out there

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer

Claire because although I am sensitive I can harden up under pressure and actually do well under pressure in most cases. I also look out for everyone else first before I look out for myself.

Rebecca because I'm also in the medical field, can be shy at times and sensitive. I also have empathy with others and care too much at times. I am usually the youngest around my peers and they underestimate me a lot of the time, when in fact I'm usually more capable and smarter than they ever will be. :p

It makes me sad to think that Rebecca will be completely different now, in her early 30's at the time of re6.

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
Me too. :( Too bad we never got to see her "grow up" as they say.

My theory to why she has not appeared cannocly for so long is becouse capcom probabley jusy cant think of a way to bring her back. Maybe she will appear in a future game? who knows. Her chance of appearing in Damnation looks pretty strong though.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
My theory to why she has not appeared cannocly for so long is becouse capcom probabley jusy cant think of a way to bring her back. Maybe she will appear in a future game? who knows. Her chance of appearing in Damnation looks pretty strong though.

I hope so. I'm beginning to lose hope lol I haven't heard any NEW news about damnation since last year and that's pretty depressing. A lot of people are beginning to assume she's just a past character with no real use in the series anymore... Especially with the way it's evolved.

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
I hope so. I'm beginning to lose hope lol I haven't heard any NEW news about damnation since last year and that's pretty depressing. A lot of people are beginning to assume she's just a past character with no real use in the series anymore... Especially with the way it's evolved.

Barry has been treated badly as well, his last appearence was in a bonus minigame

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Wow, there are some pretty good responses here, I don't know if I have much to add but I'll try...

I definitely agree with identifying with Wesker, and for many of the reasons - if not all - that Rain and bSTAR pointed out. I definitely believe that some people just weren't meant to survive in this world and there is that whole: "survival of the fittest" bit. It may not be kind or right, but that's how the world works; the meek might inherit the earth but they've got to survive the apocalypse first to do it. ;)

I sort of identify with HUNK - Vector too for that matter since they seem pretty similar - not the whole bad ass, I can never die because I'm so awesome bit, but the fact that he's sort of a loner, like Wesker, and doesn't really need or feel this overwhelming urge to have people around all the time for companionship. He's also pretty cold and callus at times and I've been told I'm like that a lot but it just comes natural to me, especially if I'm around folks I don't know. They're both pretty practical as well, not going out of their way to help someone if it'll put them in danger/in a bad position, and I kind of identify with that as well.

I relate to Jill because she's pretty good under pressure, she can keep a cool head in tense and unexpected situations and she pushes back those emotions when it's not really opportune to have them out there, waving in the wind. She seems to be very in control of herself, able to see the difference between wanting and needing - it's obvious that she wants to be with Chris but it's never really the time for that and so she doesn't push it like some needy child, she controls herself - and I absolutely love having control over myself. (Which is probably why I don't drink because, when I do, I feel like I have no say in what's going on around me or what's happening and I'm too much of a control freak for that.)

I don't know if this counts since the game hasn't even come out yet, but I sort of see similarities in myself and Tweed - from Echo Six. She seems pretty sassy and sarcastic and sarcasm should probably be my middle name; I'm always snarkin' off at people, sometimes without even meaning to...:oops: And for that matter, I see a little of myself in how Lupo dealt with her abusive husband - I don't mind you messing with me as I can stick up for myself but start messing with defenseless children/people who can't hold their own, and I'll hurt you.

That may not have been what you were looking for, but I tried.

Mr Redfield

Jill Sandwiches cooking teacher
I disagree with this. When one is writing a character, the idea is not necessarily to make the character's physical appearance or set of skills just like everyone else so that they will be loved, but rather the journey and choices that a character makes and experiences on an emotional level because everyone, everywhere goes through emotional turmoils that can be more easily compared to that of another than say, a physical attribute.

The original poster can say that he identifies with Chris and his relationship with Jill if he's ever had a close relationship with a woman, and most men here can identify with that I'm sure. We don't know that Mr Redfield has or doesn't have weapons experience or close combat experience. If he does, these would cause him to identify with Chris even more. Point being, there are many, many ways to identify with a character, not just with physical appearance.

My favorite character in the games is Wesker. Do I identify with him? In certain ways. I'm obviously not a man and I'm not a mastermind behind some evil plot that has devastated the planet, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to control my life and possibly the lives of those around me... I have something of an alpha personality and so a quality such as this is just ingrained in me. And I just happen to be one of those people that thinks if the vast majority of mankind was to be wiped out, it probably wouldn't hurt anybody. Mankind has destroyed the planet and themselves and unless we as a people learn to change our ways, we're going to end up killing each other anyway. But that doesn't mean I'm ready to go build some bioweapon that'll get the job done right this minute.

My favorite character in the movies is Rain. Do I identify with her? In certain ways. I am female and do have a slight resemblence to her. I do not have advanced weapons and combat training, however I am familiar with holding and firing several types of weapons and have some beginner boxing training. I have lost someone close to me in a situation where I felt like I should've been able to save them; to do something about it. I have felt like at times in my life, it was me versus an onslaught of enemies and bad luck. I haven't died recently (lol), though I have had several near death experiences and had to be recusitated on 3 separate occasions when I was young.

My life easily does not parallel the lives of the characters in Resident Evil, including those mentioned in this post, but we do have some similarities. The goal of any character, from the viewpoint of the creator at least, is to get the audience or viewer to, in some way, shape or form, to identify with their characters. Otherwise the character would be pointless and would not exist.

Im complety agree with you :) and talking about the movies i love rain too and i think shes gonna appear on resident evil retribution right?

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium

Very well spoken.... wow

I'd have to say i most identify with Leon from RE2. Not just from a physical point of view (the hair, the abs) but from his decision making processes. I would totally send a woman in distress to a more disturbing and horrendous environment because i thought it would be a safe place to be. I am a rookie cop at heart. Also if i were to survive the RE2 story i would see myself going to the president and being like "Yea...so, ...guess what i just did"

Top Bottom