• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Why the hate?

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
No resident evil game after code Veronica holds a candle to the resident evil series. I'm all about the originals but if I had to choose one I'd say resident evil 5 was better. I don't like Leon or Ashley, I only ever liked Leon in 2. So even with all it's flaws resident evil 5 gets my vote.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It just seemed to get a LOT of love, more than any other . IGN gave it a 9.8 out of 10 and labeled it the best survival horror game ever made. I scroll down and see comments like best ps2 game ever, best Resident Evil ever, better than Last of Us(didn't it win game of the year), best Resident Evil by far. These are comments within a year ago. Gamespot there were 60,000 plus player ratings and it got an average of 9.4 out of 10 with 40,000 giving it a 10 rating. LOL! Perfect game. Nothing at all wrong with it. This is where my view of it being overrated comes from.
It kinda deserves it IMO its really a revolutionary 3rd person shooter it may not be the a good survival horror game but it sure is a great action shooter.

I won't say that its the best RE game but it sure is the best one in the action themed resident evil games.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food.
It kinda deserves it IMO its really a revolutionary 3rd person shooter it may not be the a good survival horror game but it sure is a great action shooter.

I won't say that its the best RE game but it sure is the best one in the action themed resident evil games.
Oh yeah. 4 doesn't lack in action and I guess in it's own way it evolved the series. It also has it's heart-stopping moments, more so than 5(never played 6). It's fun(even with the quick time event overload) but of all the REs, it feels the most hyped.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Oh yeah. 4 doesn't lack in action and I guess in it's own way it evolved the series. It also has it's heart-stopping moments, more so than 5(never played 6). It's fun(even with the quick time event overload) but of all the REs, it feels the most hyped.

What's the problem though? It's a more accessible game than the others. Therefore, more people have played it.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

What's the problem though? It's a more accessible game than the others. Therefore, more people have played it.
How is it more accessible? My problem with it has always been the blowing it out of proportion. Call of Duty is another one of those games I feel that way about. Fanboyism(?) irritates me.

Turo602

The King of Kings
How is it more accessible? My problem with it has always been the blowing it out of proportion. Call of Duty is another one of those games I feel that way about. Fanboyism(?) irritates me.

Call of Duty is a cheap, low quality, copy and paste, shooter popularized by the non-gamer. How can you even compare the two? What makes Resident Evil 4 more accessible is how much easier it is to control and progress than the others. It's why the series has thrived this long. The game was a revolution for its camera and design. How is that not something worth praising? Not to mention how great the game was despite its lack of survival horror.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Call of Duty is a cheap, low quality, copy and paste, shooter popularized by the non-gamer. How can you even compare the two? What makes Resident Evil 4 more accessible is how much easier it is to control and progress than the others. It's why the series has thrived this long. The game was a revolution for its camera and design. How is that not something worth praising? Not to mention how great the game was despite its lack of survival horror.
Yet COD receives a lot of love/praise. There's where the comparison comes in. When you said more accessible I thought you meant easier to obtain. The controls seem the same to me. Hold R1 and press action button to shoot. Hold up on d-pad or push up on joystick while pressing run button to run. Knifing is the same. It doesn't feel like they made things easier or harder. I admit, being able to control the camera was cool. I have no problem complimenting 4 or compliments in general for 4 but when they start reaching the this is the best thing since sliced bread category I have to look sideways.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yet COD receives a lot of love/praise. There's where the comparison comes in. When you said more accessible I thought you meant easier to obtain. The controls seem the same to me. Hold R1 and press action button to shoot. Hold up on d-pad or push up on joystick while pressing run button to run. Knifing is the same. It doesn't feel like they made things easier or harder. I admit, being able to control the camera was cool. I have no problem complimenting 4 or compliments in general for 4 but when they start reaching the this is the best thing since sliced bread category I have to look sideways.

Yes, by non gamers. Resident Evil 4 on the other hand is revered by the gaming community. Call of Duty is just a stupid fad that appeals to the common man and their kids who want to appear "mature."

Really? I think the camera made a huge difference for most when controlling the character... Also, being able to control the camera wasn't an option until RE6. I also think you're blowing its critical acclaim out of proportion... I saw you mentioning scores, you do realize those were given when the game first came out? What, do you think it should have gotten a lower score? You seem to hate the fact that it's praised by the masses even though you yourself don't have a problem with the game. Again, what's your deal? At least it's not like Call of Duty where it doesn't deserve the praise.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Yes, by non gamers. Resident Evil 4 on the other hand is revered by the gaming community. Call of Duty is just a stupid fad that appeals to the common man and their kids who want to appear "mature."

Really? I think the camera made a huge difference for most when controlling the character... Also, being able to control the camera wasn't an option until RE6. I also think you're blowing its critical acclaim out of proportion... I saw you mentioning scores, you do realize those were given when the game first came out? What, do you think it should have gotten a lower score? You seem to hate the fact that it's praised by the masses even though you yourself don't have a problem with the game. Again, what's your deal? At least it's not like Call of Duty where it doesn't deserve the praise.
Now see this is what I'm talking about. These statements of opinions presented as fact. Saying non gamers love COD and saying it doesn't deserve the compliments it gets. Revered by the gaming community? Putting it on this pedestal is my deal. There's no way to know if the gaming community as a whole reveres 4. That's the position I've been coming from throughout. The best ever this, the greatest ever that. In my opinion RE4 might just be the most overrated game in the series and that's what rubs me the wrong way.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Now see this is what I'm talking about. These statements of opinions presented as fact. Saying non gamers love COD and saying it doesn't deserve the compliments it gets. Revered by the gaming community? Putting it on this pedestal is my deal. There's no way to know if the gaming community as a whole reveres 4. That's the position I've been coming from throughout. The best ever this, the greatest ever that. In my opinion RE4 might just be the most overrated game in the series and that's what rubs me the wrong way.

I guess you never heard of stereotyping... It just means the majority, which reigns true in my experience. Many games are held in high regards to the gaming community. You act like Resident Evil 4 is the only game to reach critical acclaim. Ever hear of games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Batman: Arkham City? It's no opinion that these are big names to gamers because it's quite obvious what their status is. Same goes with Resident Evil 4. You have yet to provide any reasoning as to why the game doesn't deserve the praise and accolades it's received other than your own personal gripe with people loving it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm with Turo all the way. When G4's "100 Greatest Games of All Time" list came out, Resident Evil received 81, while Resident Evil 4 received 21. That means of all the games that have ever came out in the HISTORY of gaming (Up through 2011 when the list came out) there were only 20 games that were better. And if ANYONE represents the gaming community, it's G4. It wasn't just a revolutionary game for RE, but for gaming as a WHOLE. I mean, at the time look at ALL the awards it one. Game of the Year. Game with Best Graphics. Game with Best Story. The list goes on. You can hate on something that's popular all you want. The world is full of hipsters. Join the club. But Turo is not speaking as a fan who is treating his own opinions as facts. He is talking for the collective group of the majority of gamers who, as the history of the games reputation can tell you, think that RE4 was a revolutionary game.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Game with Best Story.

*cough* Er... I'm not trying to contradict you here, if RE4 got that award, then so be it, but who exactly was responsible for this bad decision? :confused: I can easily believe that RE4's graphics were considered good at that time (for anyone who hasn't played Silent Hill 3 two years before, that is), but the story??

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
*cough* Er... I'm not trying to contradict you here, if RE4 got that award, then so be it, but who exactly was responsible for this bad decision? :confused: I can easily believe that RE4's graphics were considered good at that time (for anyone who hasn't played Silent Hill 3 two years before, that is), but the story??
It had a great story...Not a very RE like story, but it definitely wasn't BAD...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
"Not bad" doesn't equal "good", let alone "great"... oh well. Still hard to believe, but then again, I don't remember what else came out in 2005, so maybe the X-rated version of "Mario saves the princess" actually was the best thing they had back then...

InfiniteRocketLauncher

I guess you never heard of stereotyping... It just means the majority, which reigns true in my experience. Many games are held in high regards to the gaming community. You act like Resident Evil 4 is the only game to reach critical acclaim. Ever hear of games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Batman: Arkham City? It's no opinion that these are big names to gamers because it's quite obvious what their status is. Same goes with Resident Evil 4. You have yet to provide any reasoning as to why the game doesn't deserve the praise and accolades it's received other than your own personal gripe with people loving it.
I honestly don't know what else to say. It's ok to like something but at the same time find it's end all be all hype annoying. I can't put it any simpler than that.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I honestly don't know what else to say. It's ok to like something but at the same time find it's end all be all hype annoying. I can't put it any simpler than that.

You see, that's not what you said before. You've claimed that the game was overrated. How so? You have yet to elaborate. I doubt you'd be saying any of this if it were any of the older games receiving critical acclaim.

JillsPimp

The Armorer
Well let me throw this in, I remember RE4, as it was the newest greatest up coming game ever. Does it have a good story that fits into the RE Universe? Kind of??? I understand that the Los Plagus could be the key to making the T/G/I/F whatever virus better as it was the 'control the creation' link, but it was kind of out there. Leon from RE4 on has had the emotion and personality of a ****in brick. I miss RE2 Leon. But I feel it earned its number 21 spot, from being a turning point in the series, we got a game that was action/adventure and survivor/horror all in one! It was great and I bet most people here played it more then just a few times, I know i played it atleast 10 times on normal and 2 times on Pro.

As for bashing on COD, thats, well to me thats like when I go to a diesel meet and you get the idgits who fight over who is better Chevy,Dodge, or Ford. I didnt come to argue as I like them all (Ford man by blood, but own a Dodge) I enjoy my shooting games, and COD if you play it to play it its fun, the story is just there, but the multiplayer is fun. Now do I act like a Admiral or General, no, do I act like a gun expert, only when I am gunsmithing.

Is RE4 one of my favorite games? Hell no, I grew up on 1-3. CVX was the last of the 'Classics' and I can accept that, I own 4, 5, 6, and Revelations. There not bad games, there just not exactly my style. But I love them all (Well 6 was really good in my opinion)

Top Bottom