• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which next gen console are you purchasing for RE8?

What are ya buyin?

• PS5

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Turo602

The King of Kings
Because you're still focusing on such a small group of people with specific preferences, so its not really relevant when looking at the big picture. The percentage of people who will buy an additional specific controller to their owned console is insignificant.
That's not even the point and the big picture is irrelevant when you're still looking at console sales to determine that a popular and mainstream controller design was idiotic.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
That's not even the point and the big picture is irrelevant when you're still looking at console sales to determine that a popular and mainstream controller design was idiotic.
Of course its relevant. In fact, the fact that you can buy so many custom-made specific controllers for PlayStation only proves that they have the widest audience of players out there. Besides, you mentioning that PC's got a lot of custom-made Xbox controllers is not really a surprise since Microsoft owns Xbox so they're bound to be the biggest player on the market (doesn't say anything about preference). Also, perhaps you're only focusing on North America for your so called statistics which is still Xbox's biggest market compared to Europe and Asia, which could lead to skewed comparisons.

And even if there is a testers group of professionals whom has declared the Xbox controller to be best controller out there, who cares? The only thing that matteris is what gamers out there are actually accustomed to and playing with.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Of course its relevant. In fact, the fact that you can buy so many custom-made specific controllers for PlayStation only proves that they have the widest audience of players out there. Besides, you mentioning that PC's got a lot of custom-made Xbox controllers is not really a surprise since Microsoft owns Xbox so they're bound to be the biggest player on the market (doesn't say anything about preference). Also, perhaps you're only focusing on North America for your so called statistics which is still Xbox's biggest market compared to Europe and Asia, which could lead to skewed comparisons.

And even if there is a testers group of professionals whom has declared the Xbox controller to be best controller out there, who cares? The only thing that matteris is what gamers out there are actually accustomed to and playing with.

You're still missing the point. Perhaps reread what I said before you try putting words in my mouth. You took this to a completely unnecessary place.

Jonipoon

You're still missing the point. Perhaps reread what I said before you try putting words in my mouth. You took this to a completely unnecessary place.
I didn't. You specifically said that the Xbox controller's button setup is widely regarded as the best, and I objected this claim. You put forward the argument that you can buy custom-made controllers for PC and PS4 with this setup, and I explained why its irrelevant when looking at the big picture. I don't really see the missing point.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I didn't. You specifically said that the Xbox controller's button setup is widely regarded as the best, and I objected this claim. You put forward the argument that you can buy custom-made controllers for PC and PS4 with this setup, and I explained why its irrelevant when looking at the big picture. I don't really see the missing point.
I didn't bring up the fact that people on Playstation and PC use offset analog sticks as an argument for it being a superior design. I brought it up because you seem to believe that the sale of a console equates to controller preferences. Which if by going by your logic, both Nintendo and Xbox are using offset analog sticks, so your argument goes out the window. Saying that the Gamecube and Xbox controller are considered 2 of the best controllers by people doesn't mean they are definitively the best controllers for everybody. But you claimed whoever came up with the design for Xbox was an idiot despite the fact that millions of people and other companies have adopted the same setup. I even explained why the change was logical as it was no different than controlling characters on the Playstation with the D-Pad.

Jonipoon

I didn't bring up the fact that people on Playstation and PC use offset analog sticks as an argument for it being a superior design. I brought it up because you seem to believe that the sale of a console equates to controller preferences. Which if by going by your logic, both Nintendo and Xbox are using offset analog sticks, so your argument goes out the window. Saying that the Gamecube and Xbox controller are considered 2 of the best controllers by people doesn't mean they are definitively the best controllers for everybody. But you claimed whoever came up with the design for Xbox was an idiot despite the fact that millions of people and other companies have adopted the same setup. I even explained why the change was logical as it was no different than controlling characters on the Playstation with the D-Pad.
Actually it's not strange to suggest a correlation between console preference and controller preference. For example, most Xbox players I've talked to have said that they prefer the bulkier Xbox controllers compared to the "tiny PS controllers". However nowadays that's not really the case since Xbox have increasingly made their controllers smaller with each generation, whereas Sony have actually made their DualShocks bulkier with each generation.

Anyway, I brought it up because you said that controllers using offset analog sticks are considered the best by people. Now you're suddenly correcting your previous post by saying that "it doesn't mean they are definitively the best controllers for everybody". Well, thank you for acknowledging that. What you just said is precisely what I was trying to explain the whole time.

Personally I really dislike the design, and I've never gotten used to it. Besides, if the offset analog stick is such a fantastic design, why did Nintendo abandon it after Gamecube and have symmetrical analog sticks for both the Wii and WiiU? Alas, they've gone back to offset analog stick for the Switch, but it still begs the question.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the whole talk about "ergonomics" and "typical use case" for the offset analog stick seems to be pure BS made up by Microsoft's marketing team or whatever fan of the controller setup. "When Sony made a gamepad for the original PlayStation its design was patented. Therefore, Microsoft had no choice but to change the design a little in order not to get a lawsuit. That's all. The PlayStation console existed for 7 years before the Xbox and no one has complained about "fatigue" during this time."

I think it's safe to say that people just like using what they're used to.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Not everyone are going to agree on what a great controller is like. It's so much down to personal preference, and the personal preference is not wrong.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Actually it's not strange to suggest a correlation between console preference and controller preference. For example, most Xbox players I've talked to have said that they prefer the bulkier Xbox controllers compared to the "tiny PS controllers". However nowadays that's not really the case since Xbox have increasingly made their controllers smaller with each generation, whereas Sony have actually made their DualShocks bulkier with each generation.

Anyway, I brought it up because you said that controllers using offset analog sticks are considered the best by people. Now you're suddenly correcting your previous post by saying that "it doesn't mean they are definitively the best controllers for everybody". Well, thank you for acknowledging that. What you just said is precisely what I was trying to explain the whole time.

Personally I really dislike the design, and I've never gotten used to it. Besides, if the offset analog stick is such a fantastic design, why did Nintendo abandon it after Gamecube and have symmetrical analog sticks for both the Wii and WiiU? Alas, they've gone back to offset analog stick for the Switch, but it still begs the question.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the whole talk about "ergonomics" and "typical use case" for the offset analog stick seems to be pure BS made up by Microsoft's marketing team or whatever fan of the controller setup. "When Sony made a gamepad for the original PlayStation its design was patented. Therefore, Microsoft had no choice but to change the design a little in order not to get a lawsuit. That's all. The PlayStation console existed for 7 years before the Xbox and no one has complained about "fatigue" during this time."

I think it's safe to say that people just like using what they're used to.

Once again, reread what I wrote before you put words in my mouth for the sake of your argument. I never said the Gamecube and Xbox controllers were considered the best, I said they were considered 2 of the best, based on how frequently I've seen them brought up either individually or together during this type of discussion.

For some reason, you decided to take that as a hubris statement when I was just pointing out how absurd it is to consider something that is widely used and preferred, idiotic, just because YOU don't like it, especially when Xbox wasn't the only one with it.

Saying people just like what they're used to isn't a solid argument when discussing preferences because if all you use is whatever controller you're stuck with on the console that you bought or was bought for you, seeing as most people only have the one console, then they aren't really relevant to a discussion about preference.

As I said before, the Wii was massively successful, yet the Wiimote was heavily criticized. The Wii U was a failure and the gamepad was also heavily criticized as well as its awkwardly placed analog sticks. So once again, I don't see any correlation at all, especially when I myself have used all of these controllers regularly, including Playstation's and for far much longer than any other controller. So how exactly is it that my preference is based on "what I'm just used to?"

Oblivion Knight

I probably won't bother.. I have way too many games to *try* and catch up on with my PS3 and PS4, and since Resident Evil Village is coming out on the PS4 anyway, I'll probably just pick it up on that if I ever get around to playing through Resident Evil 7.

I might get a PS5 when the inevitable second generation of the console comes out, whether it's a pro or a slim.. If I don't already have the game by that point, I'll most likely pick it up then.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is a fair argument Oblivious Knight. Consoles are always better with cost and glitches after a few years of patches of updates. That is why I planned to get my PS5 next year anyway. I hope that everyone who wants one now can get one though.

And while RE7 is divisive among the fanbase - I would still prioritize playing it. It is a haunting affair even if the game is a little bleak.

rashawnvalentine

I'm going with PC. I built my own PC last year and I've been practicing with RE4 and Outbreak to get a feel for PC gaming. I'm going to upgrade my graphics card and CPU before it comes out. Hoping that I'll be able to make some cool content for my YouTube subscribers when it comes out :D

TecmoZack

Ps5. I went on a mad hunt to find one the moment I saw the demo for Maiden during the showcase.

Scored the Collectors Edition as well for Village. Hyped!

Last edited:
Top Bottom