• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where do think the series peaked? (so far)

black 93

When asked this question most people will say either 2 or 4, but i think 5. Let me explain why. When 5 came out it was a huge deal, everyone wanted it after the success of 4 and capcom came out of the gates confident with this one. They came out with a big exploding action game that was accesible to everyone including people that maybe hadnt been interested in the series before. 5 also felt like the apex in terms of story as they closed a lot of the storylines ( the last two big bad guys left, spencer and wesker were killed) and it looked like chris had successfully finished the last of umbrella. In short, in my opinion 5 was the last RE game that capcom seemed really confident with, every game since then like the first revelations has almost felt like capcom are saying " hey we still got it right?". Me personally il always play RE whatever capcom do with it but yea, in my opinion 5 was the last game where capcom were really sure with what they were doing, they were making a big fat action game. Now before anyone jumps down my throat i know 5 isnt extremely popular, and there are qualitys about 2 and 4 that are better than 5, but all im saying is this felt like the last confident game in my opinion.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The highest point of value, money and popularity wise, probably would be 5 but if you're talking the highest point of quality I would have to say Code Veronica.

black 93

The highest point of value, money and popularity wise, probably would be 5 but if you're talking the highest point of quality I would have to say Code Veronica.
I see your point, i probably could have worded the question better as poplularity and quality are 2 diffrent things.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
In terms of gameplay, I say 4. In terms of atmosphere, REmake.

Last edited:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I would say that RE 4 was Thriller and RE 5 was Bad.

If you live under a rock and don't understand pop culture references, those are Michael Jackson albums.

ToCool74

Veteran Member

COMPLETELY Agree.

Code Veronica marked the end to a great era in my book, all the other entries afterwards (with the exception of RE1remake and RE0) failed to capture what made Resident Evil truly great in the first place.

makto_san

Starkiller
I'm agree with Resident Evil 5 as the one on the top in the series in terms of popularity, about the story I don' think so. However I think that the one that remains in the collective conscience of regular gamers was and still is RE4, and (I think) that is important too, so maybe is in the top too. Now, if you talk about the plot of the games, I think that the thing is between the 2000 and 2003, I mean, RE:CV, the Remake and Zero, probably have the best stories so far.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I actually adhere to the unpopular opinion that Resident Evil as a series isn't all that scary, and the story is a bit too ridiculous for me to take it seriously, even from the beginning. Doesn't mean I don't like it, I wouldn't be here or own most of the main series games if I disliked them. So where it peaked for me was with Resident Evil 4 where I think they nailed gameplay. No forced co-op or covershooting like RE5, no shoddy design like RE6, I think it perfectly culminated with RE4.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Well Resident Evil 5 and 6 had the highest budget. RE4 and RE2 are considered the best games in the series and I know a lot of fans who say Code Veronica X is one of the worst games in the series. It's not a terrible game but I wouldn't say it's the best. It's still a GOOD game and it definitely needs a remake.

I would actually say that out of ALL the resident evil games, it's Resident Evil 3: Nemesis that needs a remake. Newer generation technology would make that game so much better and they could do much more with Nemesis. He wouldn't need to be a scripted and he could be a lot more unpredictable. That game was definitely before it's time ;)

As for the peak... honestly Revelations 2 is one of the best games in the series in terms of gameplay and story. I would say 5 was the peak in terms of fan popularity. Everyone says the game sucks because of the ending and that ending is indeed one of the worst endings in gaming history -_- It was that bad. The actual game itself was great! It doesn't hold up as well today as Resident Evil 4 does, but it's still great for what it was. Resident Evil 6 is.... underrated. It's still a good game but it feels like Capcom wants Resident Evil to be like Metal Gear Solid from RE5 and onward.

Top Bottom