• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 What's Next for RE7?

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
In the original RE all of them had a military background, but the game was still scary, because they didn't expect that kind of situation in that Mansion or Raccoon City. As you said it can be done scary, even with a character with military background, but in order to do so, you'd have to remove co-op, that's why I'm against co-op in horror games. If I had a co-op partner in Alien:Isolation, I wouldn't be scared at all. Why? Well I got someone who can save my a** anytime, but If I'm alone, I'd have to be very careful and plan my next step to get to point B without getting caught or wasting my ammo on an enemy or so, hope you can catch my drift. That broom is a good idea ;) would love to see that one.

Silent Hill games are always scary, because you are always alone and that pretty contributes to the scare factor, plus SH games have the otherworld (Always hated the hospital parts in SH, .... UGH) and a scary atmosphere.

Also music can contribute to the atmosphere. I don't even remember hearing any music in RE6 at all, at least not scary music. In Silent Hill when you're in the Otherworld Alchemilla Hospital or when Nemesis was chasing you, remember what kind of music played? Yep the scary sort and made you more cautious when you heard a certain type of music/sound whatsoever. I know it may sound stupid when I talk about music now, but it really added something to the gameplay.

You know, it bugs me sometimes what became of Chris and Jill in general. I wished they remained underdogs, but no, they have the BSAA now, a global military organization. All are armed to teeth, all are well trained for bioterrorist attacks and have probably a sh*tload of soldiers at their disposal. I can't feel scared anymore because of this. If it was just a small team of say, 12 people, that'd be okay, but they're a global organization. They got branches in Africa, Europe, Asia and and and... basically everywhere, so it's kinda hard to spread a virus outbreak in the first place, if these fellas are around to contain it. Just my opinion

Leon may be well trained, but RE4 had still scary moments, despite being filled with action, because he was on his own. Nobody really helped him out, ok Ashley was there, but she wasn't really helpful at all and was rather busy with playing a damsel in distress.

I don't know why, but the game lost it's scariness factor. Many people say Revelations 1 and 2 were scary, but I have to disagree, for me, it wasn't. Yet I gotta admit, the atmosphere was heading to the right direction, though.

Sometimes I'm really in favor of a reboot, since I really don't know what Capcom plans to do with the series. I mean I still love RE because of its characters, but I feel like they're having an identity crisis right now. Still crossing my fingers and hope the next installment will be good :)

Last edited:

Leons-sexy-hair

I need brain - two chains the zombie
In the original RE all of them had a military background, but the game was still scary, because they didn't expect that kind of situation in that Mansion or Raccoon City. As you said it can be done scary, even with a character with military background, but in order to do so, you'd have to remove co-op, that's why I'm against co-op in horror games. If I had a co-op partner in Alien:Isolation, I wouldn't be scared at all. Why? Well I got someone who can save my a** anytime, but If I'm alone, I'd have to be very careful and plan my next step to get to point B without getting caught or wasting my ammo on an enemy or so, hope you can catch my drift. That broom is a good idea ;) would love to see that one.

Silent Hill games are always scary, because you are always alone and that pretty contributes to the scare factor, plus SH games have the otherworld (Always hated the hospital parts in SH, .... UGH) and a scary atmosphere.

Also music can contribute to the atmosphere. I don't even remember hearing any music in RE6 at all, at least not scary music. In Silent Hill when you're in the Otherworld Alchemilla Hospital or when Nemesis was chasing you, remember what kind of music played? Yep the scary sort and made you more cautious when you heard a certain type of music/sound whatsoever. I know it may sound stupid when I talk about music now, but it really added something to the gameplay.

You know, it bugs me sometimes what became of Chris and Jill in general. I wished they remained underdogs, but no, they have the BSAA now, a global military organization. All are armed to teeth, all are well trained for bioterrorist attacks and have probably a sh*tload of soldiers at their disposal. I can't feel scared anymore because of this. If it was just a small team of say, 12 people, that'd be okay, but they're a global organization. They got branches in Africa, Europe, Asia and and and... basically everywhere, so it's kinda hard to spread a virus outbreak in the first place, if these fellas are around to contain it. Just my opinion

Leon may be well trained, but RE4 had still scary moments, despite being filled with action, because he was on his own. Nobody really helped him out, ok Ashley was there, but she wasn't really helpful at all and was rather busy with playing a damsel in distress.

I don't know why, but the game lost it's scariness factor. Many people say Revelations 1 and 2 were scary, but I have to disagree, for me, it wasn't. Yet I gotta admit, the atmosphere was heading to the right direction, though.

Sometimes I'm really in favor of a reboot, since I really don't know what Capcom plans to do with the series. I mean I still love RE because of its characters, but I feel like they're having an identity crisis right now. Still crossing my fingers and hope the next installment will be good :)
I agree with you on pretty much everything you said in your last few posts, but I don't think they need a re boot, like you said in the first post I think the characters are great but they just need to be weaker. (Not superheroes) moira is s good example because she is actually pretty realistic. I think the writers did a great job in revelations 2 with its sensitive story and plausible character development ( claire crying exc...) with that being said, Rev 2 was a good starting point to change the face of resident evil around. Though it wasn't perfectly scary within the survival horror genre, I do think it was the best game since 4 to bring back that creepy vibe. I agree with you that the backtracking and the isolation of the earlier games were better. But I doubt they will fully go back to that given the patience of our youth. Everyone likes killing and no puzzles unfortunately :( red 1 was the best survival horror game for re in my opinion.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Honestly, I won't be upset if they make it sort of a hybrid of RE6 and Rev2. The gameplay mechanics in RE6 were great and fairly deep, but my big complaints with it are all story-related. Namely that the story wasn't focused enough. If Capcom were to give us a story as focused as Rev2 with a little more of the unique gameplay of RE6, I would likely be very happy with the end result.

However, I don't want to build RE7 up in my mind to be anything special. Since RE5 came out and was very much in line with 4 (though much tighter mechanically), I have given up the ghost as far as hoping for or even wanting the fixed angle/tank controls to return. If I want to play a game like that, I still own all of them and have played the ever loving hell out of them for the last 19 years. That'll never change. Like it or not, RE has evolved into a different animal than it once was. And I believe that, if people would just accept that fact, they might actually enjoy some of what this new batch has to offer.

wanderer

battle master
those old controls worked back then, but nowadays it is inexcusable given our technological progress. if the newest Tomb Raider games still made you clumsy as heck that you need to focus on one action at a time, climbing jumping walking, like the oldest Tomb Raider, you can bet a lot of people will be angry. when times change, especially with technology, everything else has to KEEP UP, they are expected to keep up or disappear.

i can assure you if we are given the same clumsy controls as what was normal 20 years ago, biohazard will be considered outdated and stagnant. the developers will have to deal with the worst of it.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
I agree with you on pretty much everything you said in your last few posts, but I don't think they need a re boot, like you said in the first post I think the characters are great but they just need to be weaker. (Not superheroes) moira is s good example because she is actually pretty realistic. I think the writers did a great job in revelations 2 with its sensitive story and plausible character development ( claire crying exc...) with that being said, Rev 2 was a good starting point to change the face of resident evil around. Though it wasn't perfectly scary within the survival horror genre, I do think it was the best game since 4 to bring back that creepy vibe. I agree with you that the backtracking and the isolation of the earlier games were better. But I doubt they will fully go back to that given the patience of our youth. Everyone likes killing and no puzzles unfortunately :( red 1 was the best survival horror game for re in my opinion.
I'm not really in favor of reboot, but I do think about it sometimes. RE:Rev 2 may be not that scary at least to me but it was very well done and I liked the approach. It was was fun to play, but felt a little bit too short, wish it were longer :( Loved Moira, she was great and very realistic. RE:Rev & Rev2 were much better than RE5, RE6. Yeah I blame younger gamers as well. All they wanna see is action, explosions, linear games, co-op and all other BS. As for puzzles, I remember the puzzles in older games were more difficult in general not just in RE. Nowadays they're so easy I don't even have to use my brain at all xD.

I noticed there is a trend of going back to "true" horror in the gaming industry with games like Outlast, Alien:Isolation, The Evil Within etc. Hope Capcom will do the same with RE.

As I said Rev 2 is a step in the right direction :D So we might get an awesome game with RE7 *still crossing my fingers*

Scrumpeh

Sleepy Person
Premium
I've heard that Capcom said that Resident Evil 7 was going cater to "Its core fanbase". I've also heard that it is going to return to its survival horror roots, but please do not quote me on that.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I've heard that Capcom said that Resident Evil 7 was going cater to "Its core fanbase". I've also heard that it is going to return to its survival horror roots, but please do not quote me on that.

They said RE6 would return to RE's roots, too. Just be wary.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
The thing is though that RE6 didn't really review poorly. It didn't necessarily review well either, but generally reviewers saw it as a mixed bag (which it was) more than a 'bad' game. And with it being one of the highest selling Capcom games ever, I would say it's a good bet the main RE team will be doubling down on its action-oriented direction, not shying away from it. I feel like the Revelations series is where they'll try their hardest to deliver on all the 'roots' stuff if anywhere.

Scrumpeh

Sleepy Person
Premium
The thing is though that RE6 didn't really review poorly. It didn't necessarily review well either, but generally reviewers saw it as a mixed bag (which it was) more than a 'bad' game. And with it being one of the highest selling Capcom games ever, I would say it's a good bet the main RE team will be doubling down on its action-oriented direction, not shying away from it. I feel like the Revelations series is where they'll try their hardest to deliver on all the 'roots' stuff if anywhere.
Yeah, you're right. I still have a sliver of hope though :p

Luchance

Here's what I want in RE7
It goes back to a rebuilt raccoon city but as a larger city.Character's in the game are
Claire(solo campaign)
Jill and Chris
Leon and Ashley
Ada
The villains will be Raymond, Jessica, Alex Wesker. It will return to survival horror. No shooting zombies etc

Claire's Plot - Taking a break from TerreSave, Claire is leaving in a rebuilt Raccoon City she lives in the rebuilt RC because she felt that danger could never return to the city. Until now, she as to escaped the city.

Jill and Chris's Plot - After Piers death he continues to serve the BSSA. Chris decides to go to Raccoon City for vacation to see Claire but the BSSA tells Chris that he won't be on vacation in RC because there is Apocalypse going on ever there. Chris tells Jill bye but Jill says wait and says it has been 9 to 10 years since my last mission and decides to go on with him.There mission will be to rescue people. When they get there the creatures are so scary that it scares them to death(Jill's last mission 2006.Then the game comes out 2015 or 2016)

Leon and Ashley Plot - After the events of RE6 Helena moves to a different department in the secret service and she goes on in her business. Ashley is now grown and mature.She joins the secret service because of Leon saving her. Also she like's to help people. Ashley's dad becomes the president again after president Benford's death. Until somebody assassinated him and then Hannigan and says the killer is in-hiding in the rebuilt RC. The secret service says go get him no matter the cost and we can bring him in for questing.

Ada's Plot - Ada's unknown group says there is a new a new virus in the rebuilt Raccoon City. When Ada gets there Ada is scared and actually wants to leaves. Then Ada's unknown group says you don't get that virus we will kill you.

The Game will fill plot holes from RE6 and will end closure on Chris and Jill.And will also end closure on Leon and Ada.
Cool stuff Mark, but I'd probably rather see them do a RE2/RE3 remake instead. I heard that it's a good possibility of seeing an RE2 Remake, but I want RE3 remade as well and I would preferably just call it Racoon City Remake. I especially like the plot you have for Ada.

Yeah, I feel like Resident Evil can still be scary without getting rid of co-op, except instead of having Chris, Leon or Jill who are all really experienced with BOW's and just put in inexperienced new characters in there, and than maybe have the Resi veterans as support characters in the story you play as occasionally.

Mod edit: Triple-posts merged. R

Last edited by a moderator:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Yeah, I feel like Resident Evil can still be scary without getting rid of co-op, except instead of having Chris, Leon or Jill who are all really experienced with BOW's and just put in inexperienced new characters in there, and than maybe have the Resi veterans as support characters in the story you play as occasionally.
Hi Luchance,

As several members have already mentioned to you, please refrain from posting more than once in a row. If you need to quote more than one person, then all you have to do is hit 'reply' (NOT Post Reply) and everything you quote will be brought down to the text box at the bottom. If you need to add something after posting, then wait for someone else to reply or simply edit your post. I do begin deleting double and triple posts after having warned individual members, so if need any clarification at all, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Luchance

Now what I think would be cool for RE7 is the series sort of sparking the franchise again similar to how RE4 brought fresh air to a series that was still great, but fans had started growing tired of the fixed camera angles and tank controls of the older ones. For RE7 I think it would be cool if they did this game sort of the series Outbreak style, which I haven't played yet but I've heard that you play as regular civilians in that side series, except it would be a lot bigger going into an open world like game. I'd set the game back in the Arklay Mountains where RE1, RE2, RE3 and Zero take place at. Doing this I think would be a way of bringing the series back to it's high point while at the same time not relying on the past games by going back to The Mansion or Police Department or Racoon City, although I've mentioned before in a post I would like to see an RE2/ RE3 Remake. In this game you'd mainly play as teenagers and young adults and the game would start in a rural town in around the Arklay Mountains. Some of these characters have never experienced an Outbreak before while a particular group of other characters have had some experience with BOW's. Some old Resident Evil veterans return in this as well. The main enemies you'd face would be similar to the Ganado enemies from RE4 except this time they don't have the Las Plagas virus from RE4 and RE5 or the C Virus those Javos and zombies had in RE6 and they speak english this time since your back in the US. Speaking of zombies they would return as well but aren't the main enemies. There's also different enemies and tons of crazy monsters you find along the way. Also since this is more open world there are some optional bosses that you can fight. The main enemies remain a mystery for a while but you find out more and more about them as you progress through the game. Also a lot of these characters are very well developed. Co-op is available but isn't forced on you like RE6 or RE5. If you play singleplayer you can still recieve aid from AI characters you know or meet in the game and you can use a lobby system for Co-op where someone can join your game when you've been playing singleplayer mode but your chapter and section of that game have to match up with that other guy online that wants to join you as well as the characters you play as in that segment or chapter of the game. Once two players online join each other's game the lead character in singleplayer mode if their is a support character along with him or her for that segment of the game than, both playing online would choose between each other which charcter to select since in singleplayer mode there's always a lead character or person you are forced to play with in whichever segment of the game your at. There's a Co-op mode you can do right off the jump for story mode where you'll play with your friend online the whole way through the game . You can also invite your friend to the singleplayer co-op I mentioned previously but again the criteria have to match or you both have had to complete that chapter of the game already and can join there as you can go through old chapters of the game. The game later will allow multiple players to join up with each other. Also there's times where you'll actually split away from your partner but you'll always meet back up for main objectives. Than there are safe areas in the game where you can save your game at. There are no auto safes in the game but there are checkpoints. Also when your character feels threatened or is in a dangerous area in that designated save area it won't allow you to save your progress until your character calms down or the threat leaves or you kill or get rid of the enemies. Puzzles and backtracking also make a return and when your playing with a partner whether it be co-op or or in singleplayer working with your partner will at times truly take cooperation between one another to survive. Also no more do enemies magically drop ammo or herbs unless they are actually using a gun, other than that herbs, ammo and sometimes certain weapons have to be found in the game.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Now what I think would be cool for RE7 is the series sort of sparking the franchise again similar to how RE4 brought fresh air to a series that was still great, but fans had started growing tired of the fixed camera angles and tank controls of the older ones. For RE7 I think it would be cool if they did this game sort of the series Outbreak style, which I haven't played yet but I've heard that you play as regular civilians in that side series, except it would be a lot bigger going into an open world like game. I'd set the game back in the Arklay Mountains where RE1, RE2, RE3 and Zero take place at. Doing this I think would be a way of bringing the series back to it's high point while at the same time not relying on the past games by going back to The Mansion or Police Department or Racoon City, although I've mentioned before in a post I would like to see an RE2/ RE3 Remake. In this game you'd mainly play as teenagers and young adults and the game would start in a rural town in around the Arklay Mountains. Some of these characters have never experienced an Outbreak before while a particular group of other characters have had some experience with BOW's. Some old Resident Evil veterans return in this as well. The main enemies you'd face would be similar to the Ganado enemies from RE4 except this time they don't have the Las Plagas virus from RE4 and RE5 or the C Virus those Javos and zombies had in RE6 and they speak english this time since your back in the US. Speaking of zombies they would return as well but aren't the main enemies. There's also different enemies and tons of crazy monsters you find along the way. Also since this is more open world there are some optional bosses that you can fight. The main enemies remain a mystery for a while but you find out more and more about them as you progress through the game. Also a lot of these characters are very well developed. Co-op is available but isn't forced on you like RE6 or RE5. If you play singleplayer you can still recieve aid from AI characters you know or meet in the game and you can use a lobby system for Co-op where someone can join your game when you've been playing singleplayer mode but your chapter and section of that game have to match up with that other guy online that wants to join you as well as the characters you play as in that segment or chapter of the game. Once two players online join each other's game the lead character in singleplayer mode if their is a support character along with him or her for that segment of the game than, both playing online would choose between each other which charcter to select since in singleplayer mode there's always a lead character or person you are forced to play with in whichever segment of the game your at. There's a Co-op mode you can do right off the jump for story mode where you'll play with your friend online the whole way through the game . You can also invite your friend to the singleplayer co-op I mentioned previously but again the criteria have to match or you both have had to complete that chapter of the game already and can join there as you can go through old chapters of the game. The game later will allow multiple players to join up with each other. Also there's times where you'll actually split away from your partner but you'll always meet back up for main objectives. Than there are safe areas in the game where you can save your game at. There are no auto safes in the game but there are checkpoints. Also when your character feels threatened or is in a dangerous area in that designated save area it won't allow you to save your progress until your character calms down or the threat leaves or you kill or get rid of the enemies. Puzzles and backtracking also make a return and when your playing with a partner whether it be co-op or or in singleplayer working with your partner will at times truly take cooperation between one another to survive. Also no more do enemies magically drop ammo or herbs unless they are actually using a gun, other than that herbs, ammo and sometimes certain weapons have to be found in the game.

That basically is the Outbreak games. A few differences, but still. xD

Luchance

I feel yah, I still haven't played any of the Outbreak games. It's a really hard game to find in any stores. I wish they had it available for purchase on the Playstation Network for my PS3. I think there was co-op for that wasn't it. The co-op system I explained here is probably more complicated and bigger than Outbreaks. Even so I would love a super Outbreak game like this. So have you played the Outbreak games, did you like them?

Dr.Slaughter

The kitty sage
I don't even know where to begin. Quite honestly I am a huge fan of Resident evil and Capcom would have to do something really stupid like having main characters be the matrix and can shoot like huge magical explosion blast. Having said that I do believe it is possible to mix in horror and shooter up style. I just don't know the implications of how hard it would be to do that to the extent that it could satisfy everyone. Now characters I think should either not be in RE 7 or die after being in the game for like 10 minutes are......... Jessica, Parker, Raymond, any other random characters that Capcom decides to pull out of their ass when they still have other characters they drastically need to extend on such as Jill, Rebecca , Barry, Sherry, Jake.... etc etc...... Possible villains on the other hand.... Some random person from "the family" ( this person would most likely be the villain thats just being used as fodder by the main villain) and Alex Wesker. Unless Alex Wesker is going to be limited to the Revelations series of course. RE 7 could very well be the last game in the franchise however that is unlikely because we have just been re-introduced to Sherry( and we have not seen her since RE 2, and she was just brought back in in RE 6) Claire who has Revelations 2 under her belt( but it seems like her character was nerfed or something in that game and surprise surprise she had yet another futile love interest "coughs" Neil)... There are so many things I could go over but if I did that I would be here all day. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom