• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's everybody playing?

Turo602

The King of Kings
I've been super busy playing WoW classic and been working hard in a highly competitive guild and we just broke server records last week. I've also been playing Magic: Arena. Lots of Resident Evil: Resistance (Platinumed, yay!), BattleFront II that was free with PSN. Just beat the main story last night. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses. And getting ready for The Last of Us: Part II. Screw the haters, it's gonna be a great game!

So that's where you been. :lol:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I'm currently playing the evil whitin 2 for the firs time...
I m enjoying it for now, i like the open map and stealth gameplay
But is a many step back compared to the original
The first one was really on another level both on atmosphere, level design, location, enemy design and story

I don't know it feels like the evil whitin 2 is the evil whitin but for casual gamer
TEW2 is a terrible game on so many levels, but mostly on its story and how it ruins the first game. In terms of gameplay the AI is completely broken, the stealth system is severely downgraded, shooting mechanics are sloppy, and the upgrade system doesn't impact Sebastian's abilities to the same extent like the first game did. The story is a mish-mash of randomness and pointless revelations, that fail to continue what was set up in the first game in favor of shock value. At the same time TEW2 is being widely praised for its "amazing open world" which is nothing but an overrated semi-open world with linear objectives that serve no purpose. The first game outshines it in every way imaginable. What a sad way to ruin a franchise that had so much potential.

In retrospect, TEW2 completely ruins Sebastian's character. In the first game he was just a random badass cop who got dragged into this mess by pure accident. TEW2 retroactively changes this by
making both his wife and daugther have a MASSIVE previous conncetion to Mobius and STEM. So it turns out nothing happens by chance, lol.

Besides, everyone who was a fan of the first game wanted to know
what happend to Ruvik, but TEW2 acts like he doesn't exist. Not only did they completely disregard him, but they gave fans the middle finger by making Sebastian's wife wear the exact same outfit like Ruvik. Lol.

As it turns out Shinji Mikami had almost nothing to do with the sequel. He stepped down as director and became producer instead, and both the directing and writing roles were given to two Western dudes. I don't want to be that guy, but I think the lack of Japanese talent in these positions severely affected TEW2's general "feel" and is the main reason why it comes off as "the evil within for the casual gamer" like you say. And it's actually the developers fault themselves for wanting to give the game a more logical, main-stream feel. I mean, who cares if the first game's story was difficult to understand for the casual gamer? The insane mind-bending of reality, not knowing what is real or not is what made the first game stand out as a superb example of psychological horror done right.

D

Deleted member 21244

TEW2 is a terrible game on so many levels, but mostly on its story and how it ruins the first game. In terms of gameplay the AI is completely broken, the stealth system is severely downgraded, shooting mechanics are sloppy, and the upgrade system doesn't impact Sebastian's abilities to the same extent like the first game did. The story is a mish-mash of randomness and pointless revelations, that fail to continue what was set up in the first game in favor of shock value. At the same time TEW2 is being widely praised for its "amazing open world" which is nothing but an overrated semi-open world with linear objectives that serve no purpose. The first game outshines it in every way imaginable. What a sad way to ruin a franchise that had so much potential.

In retrospect, TEW2 completely ruins Sebastian's character. In the first game he was just a random badass cop who got dragged into this mess by pure accident. TEW2 retroactively changes this by
making both his wife and daugther have a MASSIVE previous conncetion to Mobius and STEM. So it turns out nothing happens by chance, lol.

Besides, everyone who was a fan of the first game wanted to know
what happend to Ruvik, but TEW2 acts like he doesn't exist. Not only did they completely disregard him, but they gave fans the middle finger by making Sebastian's wife wear the exact same outfit like Ruvik. Lol.

As it turns out Shinji Mikami had almost nothing to do with the sequel. He stepped down as director and became producer instead, and both the directing and writing roles were given to two Western dudes. I don't want to be that guy, but I think the lack of Japanese talent in these positions severely affected TEW2's general "feel" and is the main reason why it comes off as "the evil within for the casual gamer" like you say. And it's actually the developers fault themselves for wanting to give the game a more logical, main-stream feel. I mean, who cares if the first game's story was difficult to understand for the casual gamer? The insane mind-bending of reality, not knowing what is real or not is what made the first game stand out as a superb example of psychological horror done right.
I didn't read the spoiler but everything you say it's true, i also noticed that combat mechanic and movement, animation of Sebastian and enemy animation are really downgraded from the first one, i don't know how to say but the game control look frustrating and not flow, especially that ackward cover system, also there are so many bug and glitch, sometimes enemy disappear and sometimes when you jump on something Sebastian animation broke and you fall down again... It's not a polished game at all

There is also no real challenge, and the game is pretty easy
The "open world" idea looks good but it wasn't implemented well and kinda downed the tension of the whole game, also enemy were not introduced properly, Sebastian enter the stem and you find some enemy patrolling the street, in the original instead we were first introduced to the keeper whit the chainsaw, and than we slowly find the first "zombies" after we crashed whit the ambulance in the forest

For now there are few good moment in this game like Stefano encounter and some interesting boss, but nothing compared to the original boss battle

The story isn't entertaining at all, the first one was very mysterious and I had to finish it more time to completely comprehend it, also you didn't know what was happening, there was a desease? Demonic force? You'll only find out in the last part of the game

But in the second one we already know everything from the start

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
To be fair, Parasite Eve 1 is a very hard game. If you go in to a new area unprepared, you're just DEAD. You have to grind for certain parts of the game. But I don't mind... A japanese developed supernatural horror New York City is such a unique location. Unfortunately, that game lets you save right before the final boss and if you do and aren't ready - it is an uphill battle all the way. Very worth finishing if you don't mind the grind though!

Dino Crisis 1 is great, but man, I LOVE Dino Crisis 2. What an underrated series that absolutely needs to come back.

And I love Overwatch. I haven't played in a year or so now. But I am thinking about going back. Wondering how Orisa, Roadhog, and Reaper are looking in the meta right now.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I love that summary. Concise. Direct. Made me laugh.

I happened to be best with Orisa when I stopped playing, so looks like it is a good time to jump back in!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I love the old Gauntlet games, and found out the one on PS4 is on sale from $20 down to $5, so I had to buy it. Now I'm just running through, enjoying this simple cash grab, hoping the lady friend will jump in on it with me when we have a day off together.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Beyond Two Souls. And wow. I love this game.

Beyond Two Souls is a really great game. It looks great. And the high caliber actors really feels like they took a step even closer to the visual novel as a major medium. I really have enjoyed all of the David Cage games I have played and Beyond Two Souls was probably the most unique of the bunch. Really glad they gave it out for free on PS Plus in 2018!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Me too. I wanted to play it when it came out but I guess I just got distracted or something. But then I watched a YouTuber play it and it reminded me why I initially wanted to, so I finally downloaded it and played it for like 3 hours yesterday and it's so good.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Beyond Two Souls. And wow. I love this game.
I heard quite the thirsty rumor that the developer 3D-modelled a naked version of Ellen Page's body for that game without her consent, complete with every single part, if you know what I mean... I don't know if its true or just bogus, but if that was me I'd be pretty p*ssed off, lol.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I heard quite the thirsty rumor that the developer 3D-modelled a naked version of Ellen Page's body for that game without her consent, complete with every single part, if you know what I mean... I don't know if its true or just bogus, but if that was me I'd be pretty p*ssed off, lol.

This is actually true from what I understand, and she threw a big fit about it. They ended up censoring that part of the game which I feel like I probably got to because there have already been 2 shower scenes in 6 hours or so lol.

If I was to critique this game though, I think they should have refined the stealth bits a little. I'm playing a chapter right now that is all stealth and it's headache inducing.

I'm still really enjoying the game though. I look forward to reviewing it when I'm done.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
This is actually true from what I understand, and she threw a big fit about it. They ended up censoring that part of the game which I feel like I probably got to because there have already been 2 shower scenes in 6 hours or so lol.

If I was to critique this game though, I think they should have refined the stealth bits a little. I'm playing a chapter right now that is all stealth and it's headache inducing.

I'm still really enjoying the game though. I look forward to reviewing it when I'm done.
I remember she threw a fit over Naughty Dog using her likeness with Ellie. This was all around the same time both games were scheduled to come out. Which, to be fair, Ellie does resemble her plus I always thought of Ellie to be like Juno living through an apocalypse.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It is insane that they just used her likeness for Ellie, but cast Ashley Johnson as the voice. For a while, I thought it was Ellen Page playing the character as well. But Ashley Johnson did the role SUPER well. I am glad she still has fun with her career after being a child star. I loved Growing Pains when I was growing up.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Hot take apparently but I never thought Ellie looked much like Ellen Page.

I agree. She just wanted attention. I mean, I get it, I could see the resemblance, I made the joke when the reveal trailer hit, but for her to call the game out for using her likeness? Ridiculous. It's clearly not her.

Mr.R

I'm not entirely sure, because my memory is a bit foggy on the subject, but didn't naughty dog changed Ellie's appearance from the first showings of the game in relation to the final product because of the Ellen Page confusion? I think Ellie's face changed a bit, or at least I remember reading something about it, but like I said, I'm not totally sure.

Top Bottom