• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 What guns do you regularly use?

Harry Sachz

Ancient Alien
I'm pretty sure most of us don't use all types of handguns, shotguns, ect, so which ones is it you use?

I used to use the original handgun you start with all throughout the game, but now I use the Red-9. It becomes a pretty powerful handgun, especially with the 'exclusive' upgrade.

Also with the shotgun, I use the standard one you find in the village, until the Riot Gun becomes available. By then, I usually have my first shotgun upgraded quite a bit, so I hate to give it up, but I do anyway.

Rifles, same with the shotgun.

And then I'll use the magnum for tougher enemies, such as the Verdugo or the U3.

I don't use the rocket launcher, Chicago Typewriter or any of those weapons.

Devinelogic

I used the red-9 when i did professional difficulty because it was wicked strong from the start. I used to use the shot gun on the dog maze in the castle but i watched a walk through on you-tube and the guy used a tmp. I do that now. It works pretty well. I used to not like trading in the handgun you first get because Leon uses it in all the cut-scenes and I am a bitch for continuity. I just sell the punisher when i get it from shooting all the medallions. The knife works amazingly well on Krauser. There's no point in wasting any ammo on him until he gets his arm out in which case I just magnum him in the legs and when he gets to his knees, I just knife him until he dies.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
On my first playthroughs of a given difficulty, my tactics are a little different that on other runs.

First runs:

Handguns:
I keep the handgun you are given at the beginning of the game because of it's exclusive ability and I have no problems getting headshots anyway. The handgun is top priority when upgrades are available.

Whenever I get the Punisher, I just sell it back to the merchant.

Shotguns:
I take the shotgun from the village for sake of getting past the chainsaws, but I don't upgrade it. This makes it a little tricky to beat your way out of the village, but it pays off later when you get to Salazar's castle and buy the riot gun.

When I get the Riot Gun, I purchase whatever upgrades are available from that point on, but only after buying available upgrades for the S75 and Handgun.

Any addition shotguns I find are sold to the merchant.

Rifles:
I always stick to the S75 and classify it's upgrades as most important, tied with the Handgun. Depending on where I am in the game, if I must choose between one or the other, I go by environmental threats current. I also buy the scope for it as soon as I have room.

Any additional rifles are sold to the merchant.

Magnums:
I take the Broken Butterfly they give you in Salazar's castle and tune that up, but I don't classify it's tune ups as critical like the Handgun and Rifle, only because I so rarely use it-I only take it out during the Salazar and Sadler boss battles, so I ultimately have plenty of time to tune up the other guns before I get there.

Extras:
I generally cache my Frag and Flash Grenades and sell the Incendiary Grenades to the merchant. I also obviously keep healing items. I don't buy any of the extra weapons he sells. I really only use him to sell treasures to and upgrade weapons.

Second runs (and beyond):
I keep the Handgun and S75 and treat them as I do on first runs. I also keep the Broken Butterfly for emergencies. They're really all I need, and half the time I don't even need the Broken Butterfly because anything I can do with it, I can do with the S75, and I rather prefer looking down a scope than using the over the shoulder aiming system in RE4.

Devinelogic

I never really needed the scope for the rifle. Except for the infrared scope. I always needed the space for ammo. I never used to take ashley either to get the broken butterfly, I just bought but when i did pro i needed the money so i took her. I always knew that i could take her, I was just lazy.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
I do enjoy using the weapon that gives you a high chance of getting head shots more often which is one of the pistols, but I really liked the Red9 I always used that.

Even though the riot shotgun is the most powerful I've always enjoyed the original shotgun or the striker just because of other perks like magazine space and authentic values mmhmm.

The TMP is just needed, period.
And I use to like the original magnum that you can find at the castle.. But ever since I realised the killer7 is identical to the gun in the first terminator film I've preferred that lol.

And screw it, I don't like the rifle because when I miss I start cursing and that's become a thing. So semi auto all the way.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I don't use the TMP. It takes way too much money to tune up and it's not worth it. You're better off tuning up more weapons imo.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
yea, but I still never get the tmp. Don't need it, don't want it. I find it to be a waste of money and I prefer precision shooting via the bolt action rifle

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I use the Chicago Typewriter and R.L. . . . But I'm assuming you meant besides the specials.
I UPGRADE EVERYTHING
Handguns:
I keep the very first one, sell the Punisher, and depending on my mood, I may, or may not buy the Red-9. No matter what choice, I always sell my handgun when the blacktail is available. I keep that for the rest of the game.

Shotguns: I keep the first until the striker is available.

Rifles: I don't even bother with rifles until the silver one is available on 3-1

Magnums: I don't even bother with those really because I buy R.L. for bosses I can't beat.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I actually have two different sets of guns I use for a playthrough.

CLASSIC CONTROLLER
~ Blacktail
~ Broken Butterfly
~ Striker
~ Semi-Auto Rifle
~ TMP

WII-MOTION
~ Red9
~ Broken Butterfly
~ Riot Gun
~ Semi-Auto Rifle (Round 1 only)
~ TMP