• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you drive?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Lol...This is my first car past the year 2000...My last 2 were from the 90's...That being said, since I bought my car outright, there were no taxes except sales tax...In fact...Every car I've ever had, I bought outright...
What does it mean to buy it outright?

Various one-time taxes that we pay when we buy a new car:
  • One big one-time tax on new motor vehicles. This tax depends on several factors, like the car's weight, motor deplacement, power output, and emissions. This is the biggest tax and it can easily add $100,000 to the total cost for a car with a big motor.
  • Registration tax for registering a new vehicle on your name. This tax varies from car to car and it can be as high as $5,000.
  • If the vehicle is allowed to weigh 3500 kilos or more (car + cargo) then there is another special tax adjusted to weight. Many vans and pickup trucks are heavy enough for this tax.
  • And after all these taxes have been added...... the VAT (25%) is added.
If it wasn't for our oil fueled economy, the average car age here would be similar to that of Cuba.

We have annual car taxes too, excepted are cars older than 30 years and electric cars. The annual tax is about $520 for petrol cars and about $590 for diesel cars without particle filter. We have a whole bunch of various taxes on fuel too.
Governments are very good at making up new taxes. We even have special taxes on stuff like cigarette rolling paper and sugar.

Sorry for going off topic, but it explains why the wealthiest people in Europe drives the oldest wheels.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What does it mean to buy it outright?

Various one-time taxes that we pay when we buy a new car:
  • One big one-time tax on new motor vehicles. This tax depends on several factors, like the car's weight, motor deplacement, power output, and emissions. This is the biggest tax and it can easily add $100,000 to the total cost for a car with a big motor.
  • Registration tax for registering a new vehicle on your name. This tax varies from car to car and it can be as high as $5,000.
  • If the vehicle is allowed to weigh 3500 kilos or more (car + cargo) then there is another special tax adjusted to weight. Many vans and pickup trucks are heavy enough for this tax.
  • And after all these taxes have been added...... the VAT (25%) is added.
If it wasn't for our oil fueled economy, the average car age here would be similar to that of Cuba.

We have annual car taxes too, excepted are cars older than 30 years and electric cars. The annual tax is about $520 for petrol cars and about $590 for diesel cars without particle filter. We have a whole bunch of various taxes on fuel too.
Governments are very good at making up new taxes. We even have special taxes on stuff like cigarette rolling paper and sugar.

Sorry for going off topic, but it explains why the wealthiest people in Europe drives the oldest wheels.

Wow...that's a LOT of taxes...When I say buy outright, I mean buy the full price of the car then and there...plus tax...as opposed to a lot of people making payments on them and owning them fully after several years...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Blimey I think i'm driving the oldest car on this thread!
You asked about our cars but didn't mention yours! ;)

Wow...that's a LOT of taxes...When I say buy outright, I mean buy the full price of the car then and there...plus tax...as opposed to a lot of people making payments on them and owning them fully after several years...
Yes it's a lot of taxes, but I didn't mention all of them. I think they want us to go back to horses so we'll spend a whole day getting nowhere.

So if you're not buying it outright, you're leasing it? Corporations often lease vehicles here, but private customers rarely lease. Almost everyone buy cars outright here (usually with a bank loan).

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You asked about our cars but didn't mention yours! ;)

Yes it's a lot of taxes, but I didn't mention all of them. I think they want us to go back to horses so we'll spend a whole day getting nowhere.

So if you're not buying it outright, you're leasing it? Corporations often lease vehicles here, but private customers rarely lease. Almost everyone buy cars outright here (usually with a bank loan).
But a loan is a loan, so they still end up paying it back..Here, loans are usually for a down payment and PARTIAL monthly fee...But it's not really leasing, because after so many payments you own your car...Generally takes people a couple years though...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
But a loan is a loan, so they still end up paying it back..Here, loans are usually for a down payment and PARTIAL monthly fee...But it's not really leasing, because after so many payments you own your car...Generally takes people a couple years though...
But legally you own the car regardless? It's registered on your name and not the bank's, right?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But legally you own the car regardless? It's registered on your name and not the bank's, right?
Well, they MAKE you have full coverage insurance because while it's in your name, you do not own it completely yet. It still partially belongs to the dealership, so if you get into a wreck with full coverage, well hence the name, you're covered...

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Now that's not quite true! I've seen some tribes drive horse and carriages there. Amish. :tongue:
Yeah...There are also Mennonites, which are like Amish, but they DO drive cars. They have to be black though, and have the most BASIC of features.

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
I drive *drumroll* my legs. Sorry lol. I couldn't resist. I don't have a vehicle right now lol. BUT! The last vehicle I had was a Dodge Durango and it was glorious.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Honestly, no. I live in the countryside and I would have to 'scoot' a long ways haha. Right now, I've been taking a taxi everywhere. That hasn't been too bad, since my parents both work for the company I use LOL.
Fair enough. You know, I always pictured you as a city girl...

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Fair enough. You know, I always pictured you as a city girl...

You're right! I was born and raised in the city. I moved away when I turned sixteen. I enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside but I am just as happy when I'm in the city.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You're right! I was born and raised in the city. I moved away when I turned sixteen. I enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside but I am just as happy when I'm in the city.
Hmm...That's pretty cool...Still, I can't imagine a cab company that will drive out to the country though lol.

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Hmm...That's pretty cool...Still, I can't imagine a cab company that will drive out to the country though lol.

They kinda sorta have to out here because there's the city and then it's surrounded by countryside. The companies have a lot of customers in the countryside and honestly that's where all the money is.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
They kinda sorta have to out here because there's the city and then it's surrounded by countryside. The companies have a lot of customers in the countryside and honestly that's where all the money is.
Wow...Even though I live in the Third biggest city in my state, That just wouldn't work out here. What city do you live near?

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Wow...Even though I live in the Third biggest city in my state, That just wouldn't work out here. What city do you live near?

Well I'll just put it this way, I live a few hours to the southwest of Atlanta, Georgia, over the state line in Alabama. The nearest "big city" to me would be Columbus, Georgia. Columbus is considered either the third or fourth largest city in Georgia.

Top Bottom