• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 What did you think of RE5 Co-op?

ml323

I write for a site called NoMoreGameBlogs.com, and I recently wrote an article about multiplayer, and co-op play. While I felt like RE5 had decent co-op it hindered the rest of the game, because it was so frustrating to play with an AI Sheva (I got the Platinum trophy, and it was near impossible to play through without a friend). I also was not a fan of the split screen. Check out the article if you like, but I'm curious to hear what other fans have to say about the co-op and even multiplayer in the game.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I loved the co-op for the game. Sheva's AI was kinda of decent, but not that great. Online co-op just screamed awsome when I played it. Doing the co-op scenes where you had to press a certain button or buttons could have been improved with the host doing them because doing it with another person was unreliable due to that your partner would mess up on accident or on purpose.

Mercenaries co-op could have been worked on as well due to that on mercenaries if you played solo that you rejuvenate yourself when you are dying, but in duo there is no rejuvenating and you have to have your partner help you and I didn't like that.

Kellyrose

I was frustrated by the splitscreen co-op. Here I have this nice big LCD TV, that I bought so my games would look nice and pretty, and my partner and I had to sit not 5 feet away from the screen to see because the splitscreen made it so small. It didn't make sense why Capcom did it this way, and I feel it would have been a lot more enjoyable if they took a more traditional approach to the display.

Online co-op though, was awesome. Playing the first time through was a little frustrating because the AI was sometimes lacking, but having a real person there to make up for the shortcomings of the AI was great. The inventory was a bit bothersome but it was manageable. If I had to name one thing I didn't like, it would be that communication was limited if both parties didn't have a microphone. It may have just been me, but I felt that the existing interactions felt awkward and obtuse.

Quick time events can be a bit more painful with co-op, but its part of the game. If you get lucky and find a good partner online, the game is all kinds of smooth.

Popo

Kellyrose;52422 said:
I was frustrated by the splitscreen co-op. Here I have this nice big LCD TV, that I bought so my games would look nice and pretty, and my partner and I had to sit not 5 feet away from the screen to see because the splitscreen made it so small.

it annoyed me too, how come with such a big tv had such small splitscreen

Kimimoza

if i weren't able to play this online i would've finished this game
twice .. tops
but now with other people online (CO-OP) i lost count of the time's i finished this game now

Sephiroxas

The screen had to be the WORST part. And the fact that you could change anything was worse. Granted on a large screen it's not so bad. And the fact that the screens corresponded with what shoulder your character is shooting over was interesting and sort of artistic.

I enjoyed everything else though. :D

wpstudart

Split Screen always is bad, at least for me. I never saw a good Split Screen, never. But I liked the Co-op mode, it was nice :)

teal27

I agree. I have never really found a split-screen setup I like. RE5's seems particularly wasteful of screen space, though. I have a hard time playing with my sis on RE5 because of it. Hard to help her out with stuff she's unfamiliar with, when I can't even see her screen that well to begin with.:confused:

Co-op online play is something I have never tried. I don't have a headset and that severely hampers Story co-op, I'd say.

CassidyAcid

@Teal I don't have a headset either :p. I just send messages when we get to checkpoints and at the end of chapters/at the inventory screen.

I don't really like the split screen. Surprisingly enough it looks okay on a small television, but on the big one downstairs its a strain to look at.

teal27

CassidyAcid;52914 said:
@Teal I don't have a headset either :p. I just send messages when we get to checkpoints and at the end of chapters/at the inventory screen.

That's cool! And nobody gets on your case about it? lol. Sweet!

Maybe you can help me when I head for the Veteran mode. I have a feeling I will stink if I do it solo. . .

CassidyAcid

^
Hehe nope :p if someone wants to join my game I always quickly message them saying "I don't have a headseat, do you still want to play or will this be a problem?" and they generally answer truthfully =D!

I'd love to help, I want to start it again soon anyway :)

Top Bottom