• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Tone of Resident Evil 7?

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I know it was announced a while back that the Revelations series would have the more traditional feel, and that the main series would take risks, but as far as I know, it was never explicitly stated that the main series would continue to be action oriented (if I am mistaken you can provide a source that states it). I thought it just meant that the main series was willing to adapt more based on feedback while the Revelations series would remain traditional, meaning that if people responded negatively to the gameplay of RE 6, 7 would be different based on fan feedback, so unless I'm way off base, why do so many people seem to be certain that 7 will be just as actiony as 6?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Speaking about me personally, I'm just trying to be cautious here. Compared to Revelations 2, we don't know much of anything about RE7. Honestly, the only reason people are saying that the main series games are action-orientated, and the Revelations games are more traditional, action-horror/survival horror games is because they notice a small pattern emerging.
I think it's too early to speculate what RE7 will be like.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I have a feeling that, come E3 (maybe closer to TGS), we'll know something about RE7. It would make a lot of sense for Capcom to be preparing it for a 2016 release to capitalize on the series' 20th anniversary. Until then, I'm going to try not to speculate on it at all. One RE at a time for me! xD

KevinStriker

I have a feeling that, come E3 (maybe closer to TGS), we'll know something about RE7. It would make a lot of sense for Capcom to be preparing it for a 2016 release to capitalize on the series' 20th anniversary. Until then, I'm going to try not to speculate on it at all. One RE at a time for me! xD

I forgot that the Tokyo Game Show was still a thing. It seems to be becoming less and less relevant every year as Japanese gamers interests move towards handhelds and mobile gaming.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Found another more recent article.

http://airherald.com/resident-evil-7-to-come-when-capcom-is-ready/21373/

Yea, seems more and more likely that RE7 is going to be another action fest meant to appeal to the mainstream casual audience, may pass on this one.

I hate being negative but I just do not like where the series has headed, I miss survival horror in my numbered RE games so much now.

And even the side games like Revelations don't do a great job of catching the survival horror flare of old.

KevinStriker

At this rate, the only thing about Resident Evil that will be remotely spooky would be the night sky.

KevinStriker

About this "numbered entries are action, Revelations are survival horror" thing: It really seems like it should be the other way around. Why would you not stay true to form in the main series and experiment in the spinoff series?

Who looked at Resident Evil 4 and decided "Yeah, it's a great game and all, but what it really needs is sunlight, melodrama, even more guns and useless trinkets, a braindead AI partner and Matrix Neo Wesker"?

"Oh, the longtime fans are kinda p!ssed off? Ehh, just make a spinoff for the 3DS before we jump Neptune the zombie shark again with RE6, Operation Raccoon City AND another live action movie."

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
This observation isn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular, but I see a lot of people up in arms over the action-oriented RE games, and nine times out of ten they want the series to go 'back to its roots.' Then those roots they speak of usually wind up being RE4... A f*cking action game! The real RE roots are the fixed angle, tank control, backtrack fests of RE1-CV. Four is where a lot of the things people hate about 5 and 6 came from.

Now, personally, I really like both types of RE, and I can see that it makes a lot of sense for Capcom to continue to drive the main, numbered titles down the action route. It's just the way the narrative escalated. Once things stopped being contained to one single area, genuine superhumans appeared, and the whole world started getting involved, action just made sense. And those games ended up supplying a different type of fear. They deliver more of an anxious panic than a dark atmosphere.

But the big thing is this; Neither type of RE is without fault just as neither type is without reason for praise. As far as I'm concerned, there is something great about every single numbered RE game, just as there is something s*itty. That's always been the case. I really hate that the fan base is so often divided on everything in such a profound way.

Popo

The problem is, it only escalated that way because they wanted to. RE4 story has absolutely nothing to do with the previous games except for the fact that it has some characters featured before.

KevinStriker

Then those roots they speak of usually wind up being RE4... A f*cking action game! The real RE roots are the fixed angle, tank control, backtrack fests of RE1-CV. Four is where a lot of the things people hate about 5 and 6 came from.

Well my biggest issue with RE5 and RE6 is that I think they changed too much. RE5 took too much inspiration from RE4's successors with its sunny environments, inflammatory setting, crazy amount of weapons, overabundance of QTEs, fighting hordes of The Sprinting Dead without changing RE4's method of stop-'n-pop, the cover shooting, the Majini begin using guns, and, last but not least, Sheva! Your faithful AI controlled partner, who I've heard horror stories about. 6 I didn't even bother as I love to say, but just watching that game I noticed problems, like opening the game with an explosion, mandatory walking segments, invisible walls, resetting the shoulder your camera is centred behind every time you enter a new area, incomprehensible semi-transparent HUD, and its juggling of FOUR different campaigns.
And both RE5 and RE6 take themselves way too seriously to be healthy.

And you have to remember, RE4 was a product of its environment. Classic RE was stagnating, Capcom was dissatisfied with REmake and ZERØ's sales, the Umbrella/Raccoon City story peaked in silliness at Code Veronica and the fixed angles and tank controls became highly stigmatized not just in RE, but any Survival Horror game. RE4 seemed to be the best course of action to deliver a fresh, new experience with solid combat and without alienating everybody.

And I know people who resent RE4 for being the gateway to RE5 and RE6 who weren't decrying RE4 as "the beginning of the end" before 5's release. ;)

TyrantNemesis

I'LL GIVE YOU STARS!
Well my biggest issue with RE5 and RE6 is that I think they changed too much. RE5 took too much inspiration from RE4's successors with its sunny environments, inflammatory setting, crazy amount of weapons, overabundance of QTEs, fighting hordes of The Sprinting Dead without changing RE4's method of stop-'n-pop, the cover shooting, the Majini begin using guns, and, last but not least, Sheva! Your faithful AI controlled partner, who I've heard horror stories about. 6 I didn't even bother as I love to say, but just watching that game I noticed problems, like opening the game with an explosion, mandatory walking segments, invisible walls, resetting the shoulder your camera is centred behind every time you enter a new area, incomprehensible semi-transparent HUD, and its juggling of FOUR different campaigns.
And both RE5 and RE6 take themselves way too seriously to be healthy.

And you have to remember, RE4 was a product of its environment. Classic RE was stagnating, Capcom was dissatisfied with REmake and ZERØ's sales, the Umbrella/Raccoon City story peaked in silliness at Code Veronica and the fixed angles and tank controls became highly stigmatized not just in RE, but any Survival Horror game. RE4 seemed to be the best course of action to deliver a fresh, new experience with solid combat and without alienating everybody.

And I know people who resent RE4 for being the gateway to RE5 and RE6 who weren't decrying RE4 as "the beginning of the end" before 5's release. ;)
Yeah. The 3rd person view obviously helped out a lot, since RE4 is the best selling RE game after RE2.

KevinStriker

And I cry myself to sleep every night. Their the Top 3 best-selling games, with Street Fighter II on SNES sandwiched inbetween.

Top Bottom