• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Thoughts on RE8 Chris Redfield

V-Jolt

He looks alright to me. I for one think he actually looks like the Chris we know. I thought RE VII Chris looked a little off.
Though appearances aside I'm looking forward way more to finding out what this Blue Umbrella is really all about.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I, for one am glad he's returning to familiar form because I like familiarity in my games/comics/movies/shows (strange concept, I know, Capcom). Nevermind the continuity logic because they've done this before with Jill, needlessly redesigning her in Revelations 1 when it contradicts both earlier and later (via the timeline) models of the character. They even showed her entering the Spencer Estate with Chris in her newly-redesigned Rev1 model in the post-credits scene before officially "retconning" her back to her RE5 model at the beginning of Lost in Nightmares, which picks up right where Rev1 left off in her "old" (or new?) design.

Hell, they did it long before this. Remember when Chris had blue eyes in RE1 and Code Veronica? Strange, I know, but he originally DID have blue eyes. Hell, I think he still had them in REmake, but for whatever reason, they decided to make his eyes brown in RE5. I know it sounds like a petty complaint, but again, it wrecks continuity and the blue eyes go better with lil' sis (Claire)'s genetics.

I don't buy the "it was a new engine at the time" argument, either because Village uses the exact same engine and he's back to his RE5-RE6 look. I'd have an easier time believing it was because of the face model they hired for RE7 Chris (which was the excuse they gave for why he looks different), but I'm pretty sure Village still uses the same actor face scans they used before with the RE Engine and alas, RE8 Chris pretty much looks exactly like the Chris we all know. Who's to say they couldn't touch up the face scan and model to resemble earlier Chris in RE7 (whether they "touched up" the RE7 model or redesigned him from scratch with a new face scan to resemble RE5/RE6 Chris, I have no clue)? It also flies in the face of their "we want a more grounded look for the character" excuse seeing how they changed him back to his buffed-up "super soldier" look, anyway.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
They could still always retroactively explain it with RE7-Chris being an evil clone or impersonator, perhaps even HUNK himself. That is to say, if Capcom had any sense of continuity and wanted to bridge stories together into interesting concepts that actually make sense.

In all likelihood, the only explanation we'll get from Capcom will obiviously be "His face just changed, deal with it".

Except it would contradict messages in the game and translated Tweets from the official Biohazard Twitter saying it was BSAA Chris invited to take command of Blue Umbrella for that mission or Chris supposedly becoming brainwashed and killing Mia since it had to have been the Mold that caused him to do this (unless there's a more peculiar reason we don't know about like the witches brainwashing Mia or some sh!t)? It would also contradict Chris (real or fake) having trust issues with Blue Umbrella since HUNK worked for the "real deal" previously.

More than likely, they'll just ask us to erase what we've seen and accept the change (and back), which they've done in the past with Rev1 Jill. Hell, like I said in my post above, Chris had blue eyes in RE1 and Code Veronica before Capcom made them brown in RE5-onward for some bizarre reason, so it goes back even further than that, continuity be damned. Hell, he even still had them in REmake before the sudden change that they wanted us to accept and others that followed:

59954518cad2b.jpg

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
i am not Chris fan , really. but more than always i am curios about him. especially that scene which i am sure we were all surprised when he shoot Mia.
i believe he is in nice figure in Trailer and it suits him.
but i am curious about what he is doing and as always, where is Jill :LOL::LOL:
when i see he is doing something out of his character, i look for Jill .

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
Yeah i think it was a rumor from dusk, he actually say the game have 3 playable character not 3 campaign... He revealed that one is Ethan, the other is a young woman from the village (i think it's the one we saw in the trailer, talking to the old man), the third was not revealed but it should be Chris redfield, he also say how much % you are going to play the game whit this characters if i remember right was like 60% Ethan, 30% the woman and 10% the other character who is probably Chris
There s only one campaign and you switch between character like you did whit mia in re 7 and Carlos in 3 remake

cross over in REs are always sweet, i hope they use this in new REs.

Unknown

RE7 Chris looked awful!!! Worst decision Capcom ever made. That’s the one that sticks out like a sore thumb, I hope they actually update 7 now.

Thank christ the fanbase complained so Capcom fixed his face.Village Chris looks like Chris! And I don’t get this “realistic” talk, because to me Chris did look realistic. Have people never seen the inside of a gym?

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
Ben away for a while, but I’m back, and this is a good place to get back into the RE8 discussion.

Frankly, I’ve always been ok with Chris’s beefed-up look that he’s sported since RE5. Taking into account that that game came years after UC, with only a few incidents that he was involved in in the time inbetween,it’s perfectly reasonable that he worked out a lot in that time to help him fight BOWs more efficiently on a physical level. During the first 5 years of the fight with Umbrella, he didn’t really have time since he was always on the run and hiding from Umbrella. He’s even slightly smaller in Revelations, which is chronologically the next time we see him after UC, and then finished his bulk-up by the time of LiN.
If anything, the RE7 design was off, because it’s not believable that he’d lose that much mass in that amount of time without going through a few fasting periods where his body began consuming muscle mass. And the face wasn’t right, he looked more like Ryan Gosling than Chris Redfield.

I like that they’ve restored him to his more familiar look. If only they would go back and update RE7 to match, but I can accept it as it is.

Reactions: Jen
Top Bottom