• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 The sandbox

ADRENAL LOOSE

Tattooed Machanic with a Gamer Side
Any thoughts out there about a resident evil free roam style game? It would be cool to add this, the run and gun element would be difficult when you have to make long term decisions about ammo, cover, enemy count, Heath. but I'm afraid of a HD state of decay look alike or something along those lines.

P.s. Not hating on state of decay, I'm a fan as well

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
To be frank, I wouldn't want an open world RE game or co-op anymore for future tittles. An open world spinoff similar to Dying Light but in third-person could probably work, but I'm already comfortable with current linear gameplay.

ADRENAL LOOSE

You make a good point, but honestly I miss the fear the previous titles had and with today's tech with graphics and sound quality I feel a open world would bring the unpredictable fear back to the games, it's been awhile since I've had a good game scare lol

Honestly the old school RE games was open world in one way. You had a huge area to walk around in freely which was ****ing amazing. If Capcom starts focusing on maybe splitting the game up in different sections so you have a huge area to roam around in trying to figure things out would be amazing. But I am sick and tired of new games being open world for the sake of being open world.

ADRENAL LOOSE

I agree, they got to be all in or nothing at all. I did like the first one not completely free roam but having to back track section to second did open it up alot

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
@ADRENAL LOOSE

You know I think there are two factors that significantly reduce the fear and scariness of a game which are open world and co-op gameplay. If you look at The Evil Within, Until Dawn, Alan Wake, Outlast, Fatal Frame, Dead Space games except 3, All RE games pre-5, Silent Hills and the rest of Silent Hill games, they're all great survival horror games and what they all have in common is linear single player gameplay. It's true though that classic RE games have larger areas to explore that can make you backtrack, grab the items you missed and all that, but I still wouldn't classify them as open world/sandbox. So with that being said if I were in charge of RE 7 I'd definitely keep the current linear gameplay and obliterate co-op/AI partner completely.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
This is weird, because I was thinking about this yesterday. If Capcom decided to attempt an open-world RE game, I personally would prefer it to be set in Racoon City, and story-wise to begin the week the first "cannibal" murders happen, and go right through to the end of RE3. You would be able to create your own character, from their look, to their skills, to their profession.

If you choose as a profession to be an RPD officer, you would investigate the murders, gather evidence, etc. Later, after the outbreak at the Spencer mansion occurs, you would look into the aftermath, and during the Racoon City outbreak, man the barricades, look for and protect survivors, etc.

You could choose to be an Umbrella scientist, working with the virus. Or a doctor at the Racoon City hospital. Your combat skills would be negligible, but you would have a greater understanding of the virus, and be more proficient with healing items.

Over the course of the story, you'd have the opportunity to find evidence of Umbrellas involvement, and depending on the profession you pick at the start, like the RPD officer, for example, you can decide what to do with the evidence, look into it, keep it for blackmail purposes, hand it over to Umbrella, or destroy it.
Which could play into a morality system, like Mass Effect or Fallout.

If multiplayer was included, the best way to do it would be as a separate mode, unlike games like The Division where it's combined, and let those who prefer to go through the story alone have the option.

Of course, the likelihood of Capcom doing any of this is slim at best. They've got a formula, one that works for them, so they won't be giving it up anytime soon.

IntoxNitram

Honestly the old school RE games was open world in one way. You had a huge area to walk around in freely which was ****ing amazing. If Capcom starts focusing on maybe splitting the game up in different sections so you have a huge area to roam around in trying to figure things out would be amazing. But I am sick and tired of new games being open world for the sake of being open world.
That's what I was thinking. The old style games I consider "semi-open world" and am fine with this happening again. I wouldn't want something fully open world though, as I just feel it wouldn't create the right atmosphere.

Top Bottom