• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Difference Between The Numbered REs And Revelations

Casey

I read this article on Kotaku that said the numbered RE games are for wider audiences which is why they are action. The revelations games are aimed more toward survival horror fans. Do you guys think the numbered RE games will always be action. Then they will have revelations as an side series for traditional fans?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
It's hard to say, really. So many people seem to be in favor of the action-oriented game play of the newer numbered installments that I have no doubt things will stay as is.

Not sure what it would take for Capcom to make the main series survival horror again...

Oh well, at least we have Revelations.

Now if only they'll get rid of those damned episodes.

DarkJackal

Unfortunately. Profit > Good story/Pleasing loyal fans. Apparently more people like action and explosions over quality, so they think.

I don't think a little action is so bad, it should be sensible though. Things like flying a jet and crashing in a volcano. Beating up a giant boulder with your bare hands. Fighting some dude that turns into a dinosaur. Flying a helicopter between a bunch of buildings. A big jet falling from a building and creating a chain reaction of explosions from cars. Just seems there for the sake of being there.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I'd rather having some genuinely spooky RE games in a little sideseries than having EVERY game trying to toss the lowest common denomination of gaming's salad. But I'd MUCH prefer it if Resident Evil would just be Resident Evil instead of splitting the middle at RE4 into genuine creepiness in Revelations and balls-out action in RE5, 6 and ORC.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't think that Kotaku always knows what they're talking about, even though the articles are fun to read. For one, they can't say that about the Revelations series because we haven't even had a second game yet...Plus, with how poorly RE6 went over, how can we really say what's next for Capcom. So what if they've Had TWO actions games (RE5 and RE6, RE4 doesn't count because it truly maintained a horror atmosphere), and the market for games is always changing. With The Evil Within and Silent Hills, we are definitely seeing a resurgence in Survival Horror.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't think that Kotaku always knows what they're talking about, even though the articles are fun to read. For one, they can't say that about the Revelations series because we haven't even had a second game yet...Plus, with how poorly RE6 went over, how can we really say what's next for Capcom. So what if they've Had TWO actions games (RE5 and RE6, RE4 doesn't count because it truly maintained a horror atmosphere), and the market for games is always changing. With The Evil Within and Silent Hills, we are definitely seeing a resurgence in Survival Horror.

This news doesn't just come from Kotaku, it's from Capcom themselves seeing as it's been reported by different sites with actual quotes saying exactly what it says above. Also, RE4 totally counts as an action game...

Anyway, it's very disappointing to see Capcom change their tune from "we'll see how horror does with REmake and Revelations 2" to "we're essentially dividing the series." Right now, I wouldn't take this too seriously since anything can happen at this point. Though, RE7 turning out to be another action game doesn't sound too far-fetched either.

If the first Revelations and first impressions of the 2nd one are anything to go by, I would prefer for Capcom to just strike a balance between both genres than pretend the Revelations series is a legit survival horror experience. The first Revelations was very watered down and the second looks just about the same from what I can tell. Honestly, I'd rather just get a game with action elements like set-pieces and epic battles spread throughout while the core gameplay is survival horror oriented. That way it remains a scary experience the fans have been wanting while still appealing to the more casual fans.

Top Bottom