• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica The BIO gas rounds and their purpose

Mountie

If anyone's played the game and remembers the BIO gas rounds at the lab near the prison facility.

Well it's for eliminating live enemies; specifically for bats and bugs.

If you play the arctic facility carefully, you can pass through the giant big hall only three times where the blue herbs grow. If you use the BIO gas rounds, the whole hall will be gassed and those bugs will drop dead each time.

Turo602

The King of Kings
That's a really great tip. I had no idea what they were for but they're also really effective against the Tyrant and help make short work of him. But the flying enemies were definitely the most annoying in Code Veronica, especially that stupid hallway with the bugs.

Mountie

That's a really great tip. I had no idea what they were for but they're also really effective against the Tyrant and help make short work of him. But the flying enemies were definitely the most annoying in Code Veronica, especially that stupid hallway with the bugs.
I tried it on the Tyrant and it doesn't work. When i managed to master CVX enough to be able to beat the game within the time limit for the rocket launcher, i figured out how to make maximum three trips in the bug/blue herb corridor. And each time i did, i used the BIO gas rounds which eliminated them without mercy.

One fire and they're done for until you come back. Saves the player precious time and health simultaneously.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

I never knew this, thanks! If only they'd release Code Veronica X on Steam I'd definitely put it to the test. :rolleyes:

For Tyrant I always just used explosive bow gun bolts and acid rounds, and never really perfected my technique so I'd really like to dive back into it sometime.

Mountie

I never knew this, thanks! If only they'd release Code Veronica X on Steam I'd definitely put it to the test. :rolleyes:

For Tyrant I always just used explosive bow gun bolts and acid rounds, and never really perfected my technique so I'd really like to dive back into it sometime.
That's exactly what I did on my PS2 back on the day. I used about 30 bow gun explosives and six acid rounds.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I tried it on the Tyrant and it doesn't work. When i managed to master CVX enough to be able to beat the game within the time limit for the rocket launcher, i figured out how to make maximum three trips in the bug/blue herb corridor. And each time i did, i used the BIO gas rounds which eliminated them without mercy.

One fire and they're done for until you come back. Saves the player precious time and health simultaneously.
They don't kill him, but they do severely weaken him and you'll waste a lot less explosive bow rounds which are extremely useful on Alexia.

I had messed up on my first run in with the Tyrant and wasted 2 BOW rounds on him and only had 1 left for the actual fight. But I still managed to make quick work of him after 12 explosive bow rounds which I managed to record here.

On my speed run for the rocket launcher, I made sure to save all 3 for him and I think he died after only 4 explosive rounds. Unfortunately, I didn't record that one.

Mountie

They don't kill him, but they do severely weaken him and you'll waste a lot less explosive bow rounds which are extremely useful on Alexia.
I tried it. I doesn't slow him down to my memory. The bow explosive rounds are so numerous, they can be found all over and used on Alexia even if i use them on the Tyrant, which is only one battle.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I tried it. I doesn't slow him down to my memory. The bow explosive rounds are so numerous, they can be found all over and used on Alexia even if i use them on the Tyrant, which is only one battle.
True, but I still only used 12 rounds instead of 30 and 6 acid rounds. So it definitely does weaken him.

I know this fight has broken some players with some saying they didn't have enough resources to finish the fight, and he did knock me off the plane on my first rocket launcher speed run attempt which doesn't allow you to save except for the one freebie you're given after this very fight. So that did definitely frustrate me.

I did really hate that bug corridor on my first playthrough though, but I did limit my time passing through there on my speed run and didn't have too much trouble there. The Tyrant on the other hand I'd hate to prolong after that annoying failed attempt. So whatever strategy works for the player.

Ikawaru

Most sources are saying BOW rounds work best on Tyrant so I guess this is one of Capcom's little clever tricks that we're accustomed to. Either effectively use them on the Tyrant or save them for the bat hallway and find other ways to beat Tyrant.

Hardware

BOW grenades are to be saved to weaken the Tyrant on the plane. Shoot him with them immediately, hit him with the catapult and he's done (he always manages to slash me once somehow, but that's my usual bad luck). If you don't, it can become your worst nightmare. Personally, I think it was a genius idea, I only wish they would've put a clearer hint in some of the files.
Similarly, you have to preserve explosive arrows to fight Alexia in her second form - you don't need a great many, about 15 of them, but they are the only weapon that is guaranteed to bring you quickly to the next stage. All other guns (including the magnum) are more or less ineffective and you are free to unload them on the zombies and hunters as Chris EDIT: after you fight Alexia's first form, that is. Explosive arrows and napalm grenades don't work - the shotgun and especially the magnum are your best friends there.
As an extra tip, provided you actually need it, the knife is extremely effective against zombies in C:V: if you aim for the legs, they'll immediately fall face down and you can finish them with ease. If you use it as your primary weapon during the very early part of Claire's story, you'll end up with more pistol ammo than you actually need. I reckon this has something to do with director Hiroki Kato being tasked to try and finish the game only with the knife during RE1's development.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

As an extra tip, provided you actually need it, the knife is extremely effective against zombies in C:V: if you aim for the legs, they'll immediately fall face down and you can finish them with ease.

This is also true with RE2, except in RE2 it's impractical to use only knife against zombies due to sheer number of stabs it takes to kill one you have to fire 3-4 shots with handgun then finish them off with knife. Code Veronica X seems to have removed the 'stab' buffer completely but probably due to sheer number of zombies in this game is quite large iirc (it's been too long since I've played it).

Hardware

This is also true with RE2, except in RE2 it's impractical to use only knife against zombies due to sheer number of stabs it takes to kill one you have to fire 3-4 shots with handgun then finish them off with knife. Code Veronica X seems to have removed the 'stab' buffer completely but probably due to sheer number of zombies in this game is quite large iirc (it's been too long since I've played it).
Well, trust me on this: C:V's zombies are deliberately made to be killable with the knife. I am not one of those hardcore players that can finish any of the classic games knife-only, but I read about it somewhere years ago and decided to give it a try. It works! You should dust the game off and have a go at it: the amount of ammo you can save is embarrassing and the risks of getting bitten are minimal.

RE2 was my first RE game ever and I distinctively remember trying to kill the zombies with the knife and only managing to get myself eaten. Even with the crows it was frustrating at best - that's why with any of the following games I played (starting with RE1), I always thought of the knife to be useless and immediately discarded it in the first magic box.

Ikawaru

RE2 was my first RE game ever and I distinctively remember trying to kill the zombies with the knife and only managing to get myself eaten. Even with the crows it was frustrating at best - that's why with any of the following games I played (starting with RE1), I always thought of the knife to be useless and immediately discarded it in the first magic box.

...Yes like I said knife in RE2 was designed for integrated combat with the handgun and stabbing at their legs knocks them down easily enough. The only annoying thing about that is zombies in RE2 have a habit of lunging forward and biting your legs so the best strategy here would be to shoot until they fall down and then stab them to death from a safe position. It works! ;)

In my experience, RE1 and Nemesis knife is virtually pointless due to the sheer amount of ammo you receive. I mean I can beat both RE1 nd Nemesis just using the handgun, so to me it's pointless using a knife in a game where I don't need to, though I prefer the games being designed to make knifing a viable option to save ammo, like RE2, REmake, CVX etc.

I've never been a fan of 'knife only' runs and only do them if I'm forced to to get an achievement, and even then it's not really fun to me, it doesn't even feel challenging, more like a boring chore. Gotta spice up the dish and make it interesting, so to speak.

Hardware

...Yes like I said knife in RE2 was designed for integrated combat with the handgun and stabbing at their legs knocks them down easily enough. The only annoying thing about that is zombies in RE2 have a habit of lunging forward and biting your legs so the best strategy here would be to shoot until they fall down and then stab them to death from a safe position. It works! ;)
It' pretty similar to RE4's shoottheganadointheface-roundkickhim-stabhimwhilehesdown routine. I've seen people doing it on Youtube but I find it incredibly boring. With C:V it's different because, although it ends up feeling like a chore, the zombies really die so easily it makes you feel like you're getting your revenge after spending years thinking the game was too difficult.

Mountie

True, but I still only used 12 rounds instead of 30 and 6 acid rounds. So it definitely does weaken him.

I know this fight has broken some players with some saying they didn't have enough resources to finish the fight, and he did knock me off the plane on my first rocket launcher speed run attempt which doesn't allow you to save except for the one freebie you're given after this very fight. So that did definitely frustrate me.

I did really hate that bug corridor on my first playthrough though, but I did limit my time passing through there on my speed run and didn't have too much trouble there. The Tyrant on the other hand I'd hate to prolong after that annoying failed attempt. So whatever strategy works for the player.
Mostly agreed.

With the tyrant I hit him with 30 cross bow explosive rounds and six acid rounds. After that he is guaranteed to die when the player launches the cargo box on him without him standing a chance.

Mr.R

In my experience, RE1 and Nemesis knife is virtually pointless due to the sheer amount of ammo you receive. I mean I can beat both RE1 nd Nemesis just using the handgun, so to me it's pointless using a knife in a game where I don't need to, though I prefer the games being designed to make knifing a viable option to save ammo, like RE2, REmake, CVX etc.
To be honest, I do use the knife in RE3, especially on the beginning. Since I normally try to kill as many enemies I can, there's some spots on RE3 where you can climb on crates and such and knife the zombies below. After a while it becomes unecessary, because the ammount of ammo you receive, but in the first part of the game I use it. And it's pretty fast and relatively strong. Not CV strong but...good enough to use.

In RE1 I only use if I'm playing the hard mode on the Director's Cut, to save a few rounds at the beginning of the game. if you go for a kill-everything run on the hard mode of the DC you'll need to save a bit (helps if you're lucky with critical headshots though)

In RE2 I think the knife is useless on the basis that you don't need to save anything. RE2 throws ammo at you frequently after you reach the RPD. Granted, some is hidden, but after all these years, most players already know where all the ammo is in RE2

Ikawaru

In RE2 I think the knife is useless on the basis that you don't need to save anything. RE2 throws ammo at you frequently after you reach the RPD. Granted, some is hidden, but after all these years, most players already know where all the ammo is in RE2

Ah see it's useful to me because I never use the shotgun or the grenade launcher, because those weapons make the game super easy plus the fact that I don't like how they shoot: very clumsily.

As for Nemesis, I managed a near kill all run with just the handgun just fine, once I learned how to effectively craft handgun ammo where's the ammo alone almost took up 3 inventory slots it became a breeze.

Have not played RE1 Directors Cut in ages so I can't comment on that.

Ikawaru

I just did this Knife + Handgun + Bowgun (for bosses) run and managed it in enough time to get an 'S' rank (even though I have a mod that skips doors, which cuts off 5-15 minutes or so, I still cleared it by a longshot). Where I started the video here is a great example of integrated combat and the final boss making effective use of the underrated Bowgun.

Sorry about the poor scaling, I haven't Youtubed in ages so I haven't mastered the art of scaling yet with the software that I have.

Isles487

Very cool tip about dealing with the moths with the bio rounds, but people should know - they absolutely do work against the Tyrant, and they work very well. Use all 3 BOW rounds against the Tyrant, shoot only 4 explosive arrows, hit the switch, and the fight is over. Fight is over in seconds and you don't even see him.

Top Bottom