• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what are your opinions on the new movies

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I am soo sick of all these **** head losers that do nothin but complain about how they hate this series and what not ! Well hers a simple solution - stop watching them you absolute retards!!!!!! If you hated the first movie then why in the love of **** would you punish youselves by watchin them all ??? I love them and I grew up with resident evil 2so I don't get why people hate these films , I even read people bashing degeneration and that was canon to the video games! I think at the end of the day resident evil fans are the most stubborn in the world and nothing capcom or sony produce will ever satisfy them fully , but like I said if u don't like the series don't watch it - simples ;)
Yo, take it easy dude. I know it can get a bit irritating at times to constantly listen to someone talk poorly about something you like or enjoy, but such is life and an important skill to learn is how to tactfully counter someone and handle opinions that differ from your own. Calling others 'retarded' doesn't help your case very much, and it's only going to needlessly antagonize others. So, for next time, take it down a notch plskthnxbai.

sbr999

What plot holes? I'll admit some parts have to be thought out yourself but I don't see why that's a problem. There is no fun in being spoon fed everything.

I will answer this as if I knew nothing about the games and only watched those movies.

Here's a short list of plot-holes/nonsense:

The Hive
-At the beginning of the movie, the scientist guy tries to break the glass with an axe but it fails. Then why is there an axe in laboratory? Is it there for the researchers to kill each other?
-The commandos break in to mansion wearing gasmasks, and then before entering the laboratory (where there's more chance for aerial infection), they take off the gasmasks.
-The black guy survived the laser trap once, and the could have done it again, but he didn't.
-Later when they reopen the laser trap room, the corpses are missing. If the virus spreaded airborne then Alice and the other survivors alive would be zombies too. This scene simply doesn't make any sense.

Apocalypse
-How did Alice know there were people in the church?
-Licker in the first movie mutated into a big monster after it ate the corpse of Spencer right?
Why don't the lickers here mutate when they fed upon the guy they killed in the church?
-Carlos got bitten by a zombie and he didn't turn into one. Rain in the first movie got bitten and injected the anti-virus yet she turned into a zombie.
-Major Cain says Dr. Ashford is very important to Umbrella and sent a team out to find Ashford's missing daughter. And the end of the movie Cain shot the doctor to make Alice fight Nemesis. If he was so important then why did he shoot him? If he was not important then why did they search for his daughter?

Extinction
-Raccoon City was nuked in Apocalypse, then how did the T-virus become a world epidemic?
-Dr. Isaacs says they need Alice's blood to create a cure. How did they clone her if they didn't have her blood/DNA? If they just need her blood for the cure, then why would they create thousands of clones for the cure?
-Alice turned against Umbrella in Apocalypse. Then why do they keep making clones of her without erasing her memory?
-Why did T-virus cause global warm up?
-The world is destroyed according to the story. Then why does Umbrella keep making B.O.W-s (smart zombies in this case)?
Afterlife
-Alice attacked Umb Corp. Japanese HQ with ALL her clones and didn't leave backup somewhere else. That's smart.
-Los Angeles is not a desert, while they explained in Extinction that the virus caused the environment to turn into wasteland.
-Why didn't Wesker use auto-pilot instead of giving a long speech to Alice and causing the plane to crash?
-How did Alice survive the crash WITHOUT her powers?
-Who is that axe-man in the movie?
-How did the axe-man managed to sneak behind the survivors without anyone noticing him and kill the Asian guy?
-"Wesker:Chris and Claire Redfield. You've become quite an unconvenience for me!"...How they did they become an unconvenience for him if they just met him?

Lizzy

I will answer this as if I knew nothing about the games and only watched those movies.

Here's a short list of plot-holes/nonsense:

The Hive
-At the beginning of the movie, the scientist guy tries to break the glass with an axe but it fails. Then why is there an axe in laboratory? Is it there for the researchers to kill each other?
Labs have fire axes.
-The commandos break in to mansion wearing gasmasks, and then before entering the laboratory (where there's more chance for aerial infection), they take off the gasmasks.
Virus's rarely survive long outside a host, so it's logical that the airbourne virus was dead by the time the team got in and the masks were more likely incase of resistence using, or requiring the use of tear gas.
-The black guy survived the laser trap once, and the could have done it again, but he didn't.
I take it you forgot the whole 'it then turned into a grid that filled the corridor and sliced him into cubes part.
-Later when they reopen the laser trap room, the corpses are missing. If the virus spreaded airborne then Alice and the other survivors alive would be zombies too. This scene simply doesn't make any sense.
The mssing bodies is a continuity error, and again, and the virus would have already expired.

Apocalypse
-How did Alice know there were people in the church?
All that gunfire was likely a big hint. She could also sense the infected, so would know there were lickers inside.
-Licker in the first movie mutated into a big monster after it ate the corpse of Spencer right?
Why don't the lickers here mutate when they fed upon the guy they killed in the church?
Only one ate him, so maybe that one wasn't there, or there simply wasn't enough time for it to occur in.
-Carlos got bitten by a zombie and he didn't turn into one. Rain in the first movie got bitten and injected the anti-virus yet she turned into a zombie.
That would be the major plot point Anitvirus they cured him with
-Major Cain says Dr. Ashford is very important to Umbrella and sent a team out to find Ashford's missing daughter. And the end of the movie Cain shot the doctor to make Alice fight Nemesis. If he was so important then why did he shoot him? If he was not important then why did they search for his daughter?
He did explain literral the next moment that it was to demonstrate he'd kill anyone, even a valueble asset, so he'd definitely kill Alice's friends if she didn't fight the Nemesis

Extinction
-Raccoon City was nuked in Apocalypse, then how did the T-virus become a world epidemic?
Because in this universe they didn't hand wave away an incredibly infectious, speies jumping virus that had infected that many creatures with one bomb.
Also we see people fleeing the city in the film. All it would take was for one person to have been bitten and it would have spread like wildfire.
Look at any modern epidemic, like swine flu or foot and mouth disease for real world examples of how hard disease is to contain.
-Dr. Isaacs says they need Alice's blood to create a cure. How did they clone her if they didn't have her blood/DNA? If they just need her blood for the cure, then why would they create thousands of clones for the cure?
Alice had been heavily experimented on, and the Racoon City facility it occured in was destroyed. Presumably they were having to work out each step again through trial and error.
-Alice turned against Umbrella in Apocalypse. Then why do they keep making clones of her without erasing her memory?
Maybe they couldn't. They couldn't with the real Alice afterall.
-Why did T-virus cause global warm up?
It didn't. While it did kill off most plant life, Alice was in the Nevada desert. Other places would have been just a wasteland.
-The world is destroyed according to the story. Then why does Umbrella keep making B.O.W-s (smart zombies in this case)?
Those were accidents, they meant to 'cure' the zombies aggresion. When it didn't work, Dr Isaacs decided to use them as B.O.W.s rather than just destroy them

Afterlife
-Alice attacked Umb Corp. Japanese HQ with ALL her clones and didn't leave backup somewhere else. That's smart.
We don't know it was all of them, and if it were, then maybe she felt she needed them all to make sure she won the battle. She also didn't plan on them all dying, obviously.
-Los Angeles is not a desert, while they explained in Extinction that the virus caused the environment to turn into wasteland.
Alice was wrong. Or some plants were immune to infection, and she didn't know.
-Why didn't Wesker use auto-pilot instead of giving a long speech to Alice and causing the plane to crash?
The Autopilot was on, that was what was saying "Pull Up! Terrain! Terrain!"
Mountains are just very tall.
-How did Alice survive the crash WITHOUT her powers?
We see the photonegativ flash at the crash site, indicating she had used her powers. They were being destroyed, not gone completely.
-Who is that axe-man in the movie?
Who was the Executioner/nemesis/tyrants in the game? It's not particularly relevant.
Given that it turns up after Aliice arrives, and there's an Umbrella facility ship floating offshore, it was likely a Tyrant Wesker dispatched to fetch her, or drive her out of the prison to him.
-How did the axe-man managed to sneak behind the survivors without anyone noticing him and kill the Asian guy?
They were all concentrating on the hole, presumably he's sneakier than he looks.
[/quote]-"Wesker:Chris and Claire Redfield. You've become quite an unconvenience for me!"...How they did they become an unconvenience for him if they just met him?[/quote]
A throw away line that's a nod to the games. In universe, he's just annoyed by them interrupting and surviving alongside Alice, when all he wanted was her

chrisleonjillclaire

Actually paul anderson intentionally made the bodies dissapear from the laser room as a reference to the game , where you kill zombies and when you exit and re-enter the same room the zombies bodies dissapear , he says that in the special features on the dvd of the first movie

Lizzy

Actually paul anderson intentionally made the bodies dissapear from the laser room as a reference to the game , where you kill zombies and when you exit and re-enter the same room the zombies bodies dissapear , he says that in the special features on the dvd of the first movie
Good to know, thanks! I hadn't thought of it like that!

bruno

Chief Researcher
That was an excuse to cover up the mess. I don't think that's a very bad mistake. A very bad mistake is, for example, saying that the licker needs to eat DNA to mutate. Even worst: they repeated this feat in Afterlife when Wesker needed to eat people in order to get more DNA.
And I've been to a lot of labs and I never saw an axe in any of them. Maybe american labs are different from european labs??

Lizzy

That was an excuse to cover up the mess. I don't think that's a very bad mistake. A very bad mistake is, for example, saying that the licker needs to eat DNA to mutate. Even worst: they repeated this feat in Afterlife when Wesker needed to eat people in order to get more DNA.
And I've been to a lot of labs and I never saw an axe in any of them. Maybe american labs are different from european labs??

I have no idea about American labs either, certainly the UK one I work in has no axe (or even a decent alarm worryingly!). However, protocol is that in a fire everyone is to walk calmly out and designated members are to check ten rooms each to make sure no one is trapped. Given that the Hive is underground and presumably has their own firefighting team, maybe it's equiptment put there for them. Admittedly, in a real lab working on viruses you'd have two sets of doors with an airlock and if there was an accident there would be no escaping until decontmination had taken place so there would be no using an axe to break the window.

As for the DNA mutating the licker, I actually appreciate the fact the movies give reason for there being another, stronger form of Licker, rather than one just suddenly turning up like it did in half way through the RE2 game.

Wesker, on the other hand, was getting desperate, and given thst he explicitely states he's having to fight for control with the virus, increasingly irrational, and probably getting cannabilistic hunger pangs that would be reinforcing the slightly crazy but reasonable notion that given the mutsgenic propertie of the virus, he'd hopefully be able to bond the virus with his own cells with the right new DNA catalyst and seeing as how Alice has bonded to the Tvirus, she's an obvious candidate.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Also to all you complaining that the films are unrealistic or poorly written, I'd like to remind you of Chris punching a rock to death inside a volcano - but it was worth it to "live in a world without fear"

....PARTNER!

Not gonna lie the entire ending of RE5 completely bends reality (and is poorly written); Chris and Sheva would have never even survived a plane crash like that, especially without being properly secured.

That being said, I still believe that the games are far more realistic than the movies. Kind of ironic since the movies, are supposed to be bringing these games "to life" - so to speak. Now I don't mind things that are a bit far from the truth (fight scenes etc.), but the films just absolutely overdo it to the point where I think "that looked ridiculous" rather than "AWESOME!" I like to look at movies like Kill Bill as an example of how certain fight scenes should have been carried out. A lot of Uma Thurman's moves in the Kill Bill movies are, well, not very realistic, but it is how they have portrayed her fighting that makes it almost believable and really enjoyable.

You would also think that people would have common sense on what works in video games and what works better in film format. Like Nemesis, for example, he worked for the game. I still thought he was goofy looking in the game but he was creepy because you are in control of the character in the game. That doesn't work for film though and he just came off as this big doofus dressed in leather yelling "STARZZZZ".

Something else that always bothers me is the sets for the movies. They're always so bland, especially in Afterlife. The environments in the games are always so much more detailed which adds to the realism that can be found in the games.
Now I do think that Paul has had some interesting and sometimes even understandable ideas, such as Alice. I would like Alice more if they had actually put effort in the rest of the story and characters involved though but they of course didn't. Quite frankly the game characters that are featured in the films are a bunch of stiffs. They're so generic and are a jagged pill to swallow. The only character from the games that has done anything "heroic" is Carlos in Extinction, everyone else is getting saved by Alice. They never seem to have a shining moment.

Silverback

Moving Mountains
I would like Alice more if they had actually put effort in the rest of the story and characters involved though but they of course didn't. Quite frankly the game characters that are featured in the films are a bunch of stiffs. They're so generic and are a jagged pill to swallow. The only character from the games that has done anything "heroic" is Carlos in Extinction, everyone else is getting saved by Alice. They never seem to have a shining moment.

That grates my cheese, aswell. (lol)

But seriously, why even bother calling it "Resident Evil" if the main characters from the games don't get a chance to shine? Pointless.

Having said that I don't hate the fans of the RE movies, but Anderson needs to make like a banana and split. He had his time on the movies.

Paul Anderson is to Resident Evil what Joel Shumacher is to Batman.

bruno

Chief Researcher
That grates my cheese, aswell. (lol)

But seriously, why even bother calling it "Resident Evil" if the main characters from the games don't get a chance to shine? Pointless.

Having said that I don't hate the fans of the RE movies, but Anderson needs to make like a banana and split. He had his time on the movies.

Paul Anderson is to Resident Evil what Joel Shumacher is to Batman.

I don't think the main characters from the games need to be in the movie at all. It's good to see them, but usually they are poorly portrayed (which happens in the RE movies), so it's better not to have them there. For me, this movie series is completely lost, but I think Capcom might be preparing new live-action movies.

Silverback

Moving Mountains
I don't think the main characters from the games need to be in the movie at all. It's good to see them, but usually they are poorly portrayed (which happens in the RE movies), so it's better not to have them there. For me, this movie series is completely lost, but I think Capcom might be preparing new live-action movies.
It's pointless putting well known characters in the movie when they're not given a chance to do anything. Just a slap in the face to fans, almost teasing them that their favorite characters are in the movie but don't get to do anything because of Paul/Milla's selfishness.

Having said that, I agree. Videogame characters don't need to be in the movies, though it can help if they are.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think the game characters should be in the movies. The characters from the games are what keep me interested in Resident Evil in general, so naturally I feel like they are a must have for a film adaptation of the games. They don't have to feature ALL the characters from the series, but definitely pick a good handful and focus on them.

There were so many different directions that they could have gone with the film adaptation. They could have really expanded on the S.T.A.R.S. team and how they interact with one another and shown us their personalities before they're called out on the mission (similar to how they introduce the marines in the movie Aliens). Hell the direction they ended up going with- Alice being the lead character- still could have turned out to be a decent adaptation had they actually put effort into writing out the story and the rest of the characters for the sequel films. Everything just feels so thrown together though.

Awaii-Lynne

momma cosplayer
in my opinion I feel the movies were rushed, which is why none of the resident evil game fans are fans of the movie, or if they are they only tolerate them...

Top Bottom