• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Scariest movie you have ever seen

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
@Maddy7 you're not! Also @KevinStriker it Certainly is very cliché, but truth be told it's about the only movie that's actually scary anymore. When you watch it for the first time, that is. Also... I dreamed of that one tongueless ghost once. And, strangely enough, I hugged it, thinking that these ghosts must have gone through some tough **** when they were alive, hence why they're like demons now. I thought, all they needed was a bit of understanding, sympathy and a good hug. Man I dream the strangest things ever.

meg5493

Ju-on's pretty freaky, I was on the phone with my friend as we watched it together and when it was over I was online in the dark scared out of my whits

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I am a huge horror movie buff, always have been. Its the first movie genre I ever loved and while I in later years became more focused on superhero cinema, scifi, fantasy and action, horror still has a big place in my heart.

Because I watched so many horror films, I don´t easily get scared by movies though. But I have to say the ones that come immediately to mind are two of the biggest all time classics - The Exorcist and The Evil Dead (the original). Evil Dead still has some of the most terrifying moments ever put on film (the demon in the cellar, Linda revealing herself as a demon) and Exorcist still gives me the chills until this day. Its especially the subtle things on Exorcist that make it so scary. Like when there are suddenly flashes of the demon in the middle of a scene or when you can see the demons shadow in Megans room at night. Those scenes scared me a lot more then the visceral stuff like the crucifix masturbation or the infamous head spinning scene.

I also had a very freaky experience once after I watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street (to those who don´t know: Its about a dream demon named Freddy Krueger who kills teenagers in their dreams with a bladed glove, causing them to die for real). The morning after I watched the movie, when I woke up my sheets were cut into 4 pieces. Until this day I have no idea how that happened but naturally it freaked me out pretty good. I probably ripped them when I was turning in bed or something but that happening right after watching Nightmare was pretty crazy.

While I can watch a lot of very gory films (I am a big fan of slasher and splatter), there is a limit to what I can take and when it starts becoming just disgusting and revolting instead of entertainment for me. Not because those movies scare me or I can´t take the amount of gore, but some kind of movies just only gross me out to the point where its not fun watching them anymore. I am thinking of two genres there in particular, the Cannibal movie and the Rape and revenge movie. I mean I have seen the classics like Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, I spit on your grave and so on but generally I find these kind of movies just revolting. Cannibal movies are too mondo for my taste (making them look like they´re documentaries) and focus too much only on the gross factor. And I vividly LOATHE rape in entertainment as it is one of the most disgusting and vile things in the world to me. Watching rape on screen really makes me feel sick to my stomach so that genre is really something I try to avoid. Though there is one rape and revenge movie I have in my collection, which is the original The Last House on the Left. That one is the sole exception for me because it was the first movie of Wes Craven (one of my most favorite directors of all time, who sadly passed away this year. He also did the original Hills have Eyes as well as the first and seventh Nightmare on Elm Street and the entire Scream movie series) and to me that movie just represents really an important part of Cravens legacy.

There is one movie though that has kind of traumatized me while I was younger, even though its not nearly as gory or gross as other films I have seen since then - the 1992 Dracula film by Francis Ford Coppola. The one with Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves.

Now don´t get me wrong I am a huge fan of vampires and werewolves and the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker is an absolute masterpiece and Coppolas movie is actually the movie which has been most faithful to the original novel. The movie is ultra gorgeous, atmospheric, closely follows the novel (if we forget about the silly love story in the movie that is) and has stellar performances by Oldman and Hopkins. Its also probably one of the most stunning looking and shot horror movies ever made (hell it even won an oscar for the costume design in 1993). So what exactly is the problem?

well I watched the movie when I was 12 which was a really bad idea. certain imagery in the movie (Draculas old man look, Dracula scaling the castle walls, Dracula killing Lucy, vampire bride Lucy etc.) edged themselves into my brain and downright haunted me. There was something about it that scared the hell out of me to the point that when I closed my eyes I could see this images or I would imagine old man Dracula standing in my room at night or scaling the wall outside my window. For some time I could not even fall asleep because I was so scared. Adding to that was the stunning but very dark and scary music of the movie. I even had the soundtrack because I loved the film but I had to get rid of the CD because that music was haunting me, driving me nearly out of my mind back then. I love that movie but it did a real number on me as a kid and I don´t even know why. I have seen way more gory and scarier movies since then and never had any problems. But until this day (about 20 years later) I can not watch this movie at night. Reading the Dracula novel at night is also not such a great idea as I started getting freaked out by every noise lol

Shocker

I saw The Exorcist as a kid so for me it would hard to say another movie. I love all horror including classic horror. Texas chainsaw (original) is the most bizarre I've seen. Goriest is Dead Alive and damn near the funniest too. Modern horrors I liked would be Mama, Sinister, The orphanage, Devils backbone and obviously the conjuring. Also, always liked Jacobs ladder. Really too many great ones to mention them all.

I am a Jill Sandwich

Ive been a horror movie fanatic ever since I was a kid

So probably mine was the original Halloween
As a kid Michael Myers was like the scariest thing ever to me :sad:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Interesting. You might be interested in the move "The Zodiac". It's about the Zodiac killer, who was real and was in California. My mom actually lived in Vallejo during the time it was occurring. I think she knew one of the girls he killed. It's only scary because it's true. And yes.... he did always report to the media and authorities before he committed the crime. He was so brilliant they could never catch him.

The facts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

A film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443706/

The movie is good. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal and it actually has both Robert Downy Jr. and Mark Ruffalo in it. I recommend you watch it.

Alright, you talked me into it.
I just found a DVD copy at Value Village today, I'll let you know what I think after I've watched it.
I just watched my new Blu-ray of Seven too, so it's fresh in my mind also.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Alright, you talked me into it.
I just found a DVD copy at Value Village today, I'll let you know what I think after I've watched it.
I just watched my new Blu-ray of Seven too, so it's fresh in my mind also.

I hope you liked it. My mom actually lived in Vallejo during the time he was active as well. Even knew one of the victims if I remember correctly. She told me the story a long time ago when we watched the movie.

KevinStriker

I hope you liked it. My mom actually lived in Vallejo during the time he was active as well. Even knew one of the victims if I remember correctly. She told me the story a long time ago when we watched the movie.

So, it was good.
It was no Seven, but it was well-paced and well-acted, and the attention to detail and being true to history is admirable.
My biggest complaint with the film is that Robert Downey Jr. just seems to be playing himself again and his manner of speech doesn't really fit the late '60s/early '70s.

Shocker

I just got a Blu Ray copy of zodiac yesterday. Great movie. Watched a good found footage horror flick on Netflix- the taking of deborah logan. Worth a watch.

KevinStriker

I just got a Blu Ray copy of zodiac yesterday. Great movie. Watched a good found footage horror flick on Netflix- the taking of deborah logan. Worth a watch.

Aren't Blu-rays of Zodiac rare or something? I thought I heard that first release Blu-rays were insanely hard to find.

Shocker

Not sure about first release but my copy was like 7 bucks on Amazon. If we are talking about the same Zodiac.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
A Serbian Film remains the most disturbing thing I have ever watched.

It doesn't really qualify as gore (maybe a little), horror, or scary, but damn if it isn't messed up.
I had to drink afterward. And I don't even really drink.

Grotesque wasn't scary but it was definitely gore and disgusting. It's more or less a feature-length film of two people being tortured.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
The scariest film I've ever seen? Probably, Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom. When I say scary, I don't mean carnal fear. No this movie is just plain gross. It's so twisted in fact, that director was apparently brutally murder after it was released. It was incredibly hard for me to watch this film.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Watched Antichrist and I cannot un-see what has been seen. It was pretty gross but also kind of stupid.

Has anyone seen Begotten? It looks quite weird.

Also- no one seriously mentioned the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Last edited:

KevinStriker

I love The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. But I didn't mention it because it's not the scariest movie I've ever seen.
Probably the best and my favourite exploitation movie, though.

Shocker

Watched Antichrist and I cannot un-see what has been seen. It was pretty gross but also kind of stupid.

Has anyone seen Begotten? It looks quite weird.

Yeah I've seen begotten and it is seriously bizarre. Also someone mentioned salo that is gross as it gets. Another somewhat under the radar flick would be dark skies.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'll admit, Poltergeist scared the f*ck out of me as a kid. I was one of the many poor young souls who was duped into seeing it due to its infamous PG rating.
In fact, I wanna know: how many lawsuits actually resulted from all the severely traumatized kids?

It should've been and was rated R until Spielberg appealed it. And yes, it would still be rated R today for this scene alone contrary to what some might argue:

No movie with a guy tearing his own face off would get anything less than an R, not when The Conjuring can get an R rating just for being mildly disturbing and not having any graphic content, bad language or nudity in it. It even had a scene with a woman getting raped by a ghost (the bedroom scene), another thing that would automatically lend it an R.

And on that note, bumpitybumpbumpbump.

Top Bottom