• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Risk vs reward: Left path vs right path (Chapter 2-3)

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Minor spoilers ahoy.

Right-o, so I'm at that point of the game, the one where I can make it as easy or tricky as I'd like for the next 5-20 minutes. I have to decide between tackling the left path and taking on the Ganado hordes and Bella Sisters, or rush past/face off against the grumpy El Gigante of the right path.

Here's the set-up: I have plenty of cash to purchase a rocket launcher to easily dispatch the El Gigante, but I've also got the ammo reserves for my Shotty to take on the chainsaw freaks next door. I've got a handful of flash grenades, but hardly anything that'll bring the big fella down to slash at his parasite. Even if I ran through the area, ditched Ashley on the other side and returned alone, I don't think I have the arsenal to take El Gigante out, even with the boulder traps scattered throughout. But dammit I want that 15k reward from dropping the dude.

I can't remember how much cash the Bella Sisters generate when they snuff it, but I don't recall it ever being anything worthwhile (could be wrong - might be treasure for all I remember); I also remember it being a fair bit trickier this route if you're not attempting the coward's strategy (read: my typical strategy) of racing past El Gigante.

Which path do you guys normally take and why?

Ganado

Floundering in the savage doorway
Good question! I don't have a path I 'normally' take as I've only played the game once, but I know that whichever path I attempted to take ended in dismal death more times than I care to remember. Indeed, I think I blocked the memory out 'cos it took me a while just now to remember which actual path I finally beat, which was the Ganado hordes and Chainsaw Sisters.

Not much help then, soz mate :D I'd personally recommend turning back with Ashley and heading back the way you came, all the way to the airport in Murcia, without looking back!

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
You can choose right path and skip El Gigante fight, escape him ;) Just run and don't look behind you, key to the gate is in second wooden shelter, if I remember. Take it fast, and run. Don't forget to break a chains on the door when you enter area (you can use handgun), before El Gigante jump. Later you will find second door with chains, the best way to break them fast is one shot from shotgun. It's little tricky to pass this route without fight, but not impossible :)

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
One of the Bella sisters is carrying a ruby, which is worth 10k. Maybe if the Ganado drop money then both ways will have similar amounts of cash available. Also, the red gem for the Elegant Mask is further along the path with the Bella Sisters, which obviously increases the value of the Mask.

Plus, if you buy a rocket launcher for El Gigante, it will cost more than the reward you get for killing him.

I would recommend the Bella Sisters path, if you don't think you have enough ammo for El Gigante. And if you run past El Gigante you don't get any spoils. But it's your call. :)

Having said that, I always took the El Gigante route at first, purely because I hated any enemy with a chainsaw :p (I was 11 when I played first, and they scared me. I was such a wuss haha).

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Honestly, I don't pick either path regularly, it usually depends on which path I feel up to taking after Cabin Fever 2: Electric Boogaloo. On a first playthrough though, I'd say the Left Path with the Bella Sisters. El Gigante is still too big a threat in such a tight space and with relatively weak weapons.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Not sure if I'm too late.
I always take the right path first which I believe if the El Gifante path.

I'm sure you find a gem for the beerstein this way and you get a fair bit of loot.
However, I then go back and go the other way too for the same reasons.
As Jen said above a Bella sister drops a nice reward for defeating them and there's plenty of places for Ashley to hide in this route anyway.

Verdict:
Looters: both paths.
Safety (Ashley): Bella sister path
Speed at the expense of slightly dangerous with a possibility of combinable treasure, el Gigante path

Edit: I would not go down the El Gigante path however if I didn't have a TMP with stock and at least enough ammo to stun him 3 Times.

Pistol_Pete

There's a number of options.

1) Run past gigante
+Fast/easy
+No loss of resources or cash
-No gain of resources or cash

2) Nuke gigante
+Fast/easy
+Gain some helpful healing items and ammo
+Gain loot from gigante +15k +gem for mask +spinels etc
-Out of pocket 30k compared to killing him with guns/nades, out of pocket overall.
-Better option if you don't have many guns or have lots of free inventory space.

3) Kill gigante normally
+A lot of loot in pocket, potentially 20-30k richer
+decent option if you run the tmp.
-Down resources (4 hand grenades/100 handgun ammo or so etc + the healing if you get hit)

4) Go left
+A lot of loot in pocket
-Down some resources depending on how well you play.

5) Do both
+maximum loot
-Takes a while and probably down resources from gigante.

Usually I have enough money to easily max all my weapons as soon as available so you might want to consider that loot isn't max priority. If you have plenty of cash but are struggling to get through I'd nuke gigante for starters and maybe go left if you find it profitable- you want to be in good shape hitting the castle. If you are sailing through then go left or do both, If you can't be bothered run past gigante.

After I write all this I realise that you have probably gone through and completed the game already... oh well.

Top Bottom