• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Richard Waugh Is Captain Wesker

Ridley Lockhart

The VA's have changed over the years, some for the better, others are cringe af. I recently came across somebody mentioning this on the forums regarding specific characters, which got me thinking of the best VAs in Resident Evil. What is everyone's favorites for the different characters, i.e. Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Becca, Wesker, Barry, i guess mostly the recurring characters that have had many VAs, such as Leon had Paul Haddad, Paul Mercier, i think he currently has an actor named Paul Mercer?

Well, here is Richard Waugh easily the best Albert Wesker from RE0, Code Veronica X, RE4 and Wesker's Report.

Crimson-Head Survival Horror Podcast feat. Richard Waugh(Wesker), Alyson Court(Claire), Leila Johnson(Alexia)

So a few that i personally liked most are as follows

Richard Waugh - Albert Wesker
Roger Craig Smith - Chris Redfield

Shame we never got those two on screen at the same time...
Alyson Court - Claire Redfield
Patricia Ja Lee - Jill Valentine
Paul Mercier - Leon Kennedy
Riva Lombardi - Rebecca Chambers
Barry Gjerde - Barry Burton

Last edited:

SaddlerFan

Noooo, don't make me choose between Michael Gough and Christopher Jane! I love them both equally for what they bring to the two Osmunds. I love Michael Gough's 'menacing, but cheerful' approach and also Chris Jane's 'menacing and calm but later FURIOUS' approach. But I guess if I really, really had to choose I'd go with Chris Jane because Remake!Osmund is my favorite Osmund.

Ridley Lockhart

Noooo, don't make me choose between Michael Gough and Christopher Jane! I love them both equally for what they bring to the two Osmunds. I love Michael Gough's 'menacing, but cheerful' approach and also Chris Jane's 'menacing and calm but later FURIOUS' approach. But I guess if I really, really had to choose I'd go with Chris Jane because Remake!Osmund is my favorite Osmund.
Monsters ...guess after this there'll be one less to worry about.

@Ikawaru , the dude from RE4R is soo bad. And Fogarty? Is that guy from Dead By Daylight?

The ones I'm familiar with are Pablo Kuntz(The Original "Stop It! Don't Open That Door!), Richard Waugh(the real Albert Wesker), D.C. Douglas(mister two initials and a last name. I can appreciate it better now than i did, keeping in mind the direction they took his character)...

Totally dropped the ball in a lot of ways. I hated the "Wesker Children" gimmick at first. Then when it was hinted there might be another, a fellow survivor, Alex, i know i was anxious with anticipation. And what we got in Revelations 2. Idk, the ending kind of leaves it open for something in the future.

Mr.R

That's interesting. The ones I like the most are

Chris - Roger Craigh Smith (RE5, REV, REDC, RE6)
Jill - Nicole Tompkins (RE3R, D.Island)
Barry - Barry Gjerde (RE1. I'm not kidding)
Rebecca - Erin Cahill (Vendetta and D.Island)
Wesker - Richard Waugh (RECV, RE0, RE4)
Leon - Matt Mercer (RE6, Damnation, Vendetta, D.Island)
Claire - Stephanie Panisello (RE2R, I.Darkness, D.Island)
Ada - Sally Cahill (RE2, RE4, REDC)
Carlos - Vince Corazza (RE3)
Nicholai - Neil Newborn (RE3R)
Steve - Sam Riegel (REDC. Easiest pick ever. I hate the original VA for Steve)
Alexia - Karen Strassman (REDC)
Alfred - Peter Oldring (RECV)
Krauser - James Ward (RE4, REDC)
Saddler - I can't decide. They're both good in different ways
Luis - André Peña (RE4R)
Salazar - Rene Mujica (RE4)
Hunnigan - Sally Safiotti (RE4, Degeneration, Damnation, RE6, D.Island)
Annette - Karen Strassman (RE2R)

I guess those are the characters that has more than 1 VA and has significant lines

Ridley Lockhart

That's interesting. The ones I like the most are

Chris - Roger Craigh Smith (RE5, REV, REDC, RE6)
Jill - Nicole Tompkins (RE3R, D.Island)
Barry - Barry Gjerde (RE1. I'm not kidding)
Rebecca - Erin Cahill (Vendetta and D.Island)
Wesker - Richard Waugh (RECV, RE0, RE4)
Leon - Matt Mercer (RE6, Damnation, Vendetta, D.Island)
Claire - Stephanie Panisello (RE2R, I.Darkness, D.Island)
Ada - Sally Cahill (RE2, RE4, REDC)
Carlos - Vince Corazza (RE3)
Nicholai - Neil Newborn (RE3R)
Steve - Sam Riegel (REDC. Easiest pick ever. I hate the original VA for Steve)
Alexia - Karen Strassman (REDC)
Alfred - Peter Oldring (RECV)
Krauser - James Ward (RE4, REDC)
Saddler - I can't decide. They're both good in different ways
Luis - André Peña (RE4R)
Salazar - Rene Mujica (RE4)
Hunnigan - Sally Safiotti (RE4, Degeneration, Damnation, RE6, D.Island)
Annette - Karen Strassman (RE2R)

I guess those are the characters that has more than 1 VA and has significant lines
I love your list and i also... despite how silly at times the OG RE1's voice acting was, and as much as i thought they did a fantastic job on Mr. Burton in REmake and Revelations 2, and well RE5 Mercenaries Reunion the OG Barry voice is still just so good lol

The only one on your list that madee think, "really?" Was Alexia. I can't stand her in Darkside Chronicles she sounds so fake or something.
Karen Strassman

Versus Leila Johnson who i thought had a more fitting, vindictive, strong feminine voice.

Mr.R

I love your list and i also... despite how silly at times the OG RE1's voice acting was, and as much as i thought they did a fantastic job on Mr. Burton in REmake and Revelations 2, and well RE5 Mercenaries Reunion the OG Barry voice is still just so good lol

The only one on your list that madee think, "really?" Was Alexia. I can't stand her in Darkside Chronicles she sounds so fake or something.
Karen Strassman

Versus Leila Johnson who i thought had a more fitting, vindictive, strong feminine voice.
Michael McConnohie did a wonderful job as Barry in Rev2 and I loved the fact he tried to sound more like Og Barry than Remake Barry. In Remake his VA sounds so bored and lifeless. Actually, all of them, bar Wesker VA sound like that. If there's a glaring weakness on Remake is the very uninspired voice acting, at least on my opinion.

As for Alexia...honestly, I don't like both, because I don't like Alexia as a character (and CV's plot as a whole) and the writing for her is pretty bad in both games, but at least Karen sounds like I think Alexia should (a genius child frozen, who awoke in the body of an adult woman, but it's still an immature child in mind, even if a genius one). At the end of the day, I still think Alfred is a more compelling villain in both versions of CV. A psycho nepo baby who no ones at Umbrella actually respects (so they kicked him to that facility). He's very unhinged in the original and pretty much a full psycho in DC and I think both fit pretty well. Alexia is just...meh. And her BOW form is so anime-inspired that it's hard to take it seriously. That being said, I prefer Karen because I think her (and the DC script) suits what the character should be, on my opinion.

Ikawaru

If there's a glaring weakness on Remake is the very uninspired voice acting, at least on my opinion.

Agree with this wholesale. The biggest glaring flaw of REmake is its lacklustre portrayal of the OG characters, they really lacked the B-movie charm they had in 1996. Chris I think was the worst butchering whilst Jill looked better but she just really lacked the dynamism she had in her original dialogue. "Barry? BARRY!?" Was just great after the Tyrant fight.

Chris just didn't seem as cool and alpha as he did in the original and they made him look a bit more boyish and inexperienced imo. I mean one could make an argument that that may work better for horror, but when your 1st game in the franchise that you've played is literally the 1st game, you have certain cognitive expectations of the characters in question.

To this day I just skip the cutscenes in REmake because they honestly are kinda boring. You cannot skip the cutscenes in OG RE1 but I don't mind and still get a kick out of them, regardless of how one thinks of the VA. I hope though if they ever remake another RE1 they do not remake the REmake but remake the original but take inspiration from the extended gameplay and atmosphere of the REmake and do better with character dynamism and not go with flat dialogue.

Ridley Lockhart

Michael McConnohie did a wonderful job as Barry in Rev2 and I loved the fact he tried to sound more like Og Barry than Remake Barry. In Remake his VA sounds so bored and lifeless. Actually, all of them, bar Wesker VA sound like that. If there's a glaring weakness on Remake is the very uninspired voice acting, at least on my opinion.
I agree Barry in Revelations 2 was great, also how they went for making the character sound a distinctly "B movie" or cheesy kind of charm as the iconic OG Barry. That dude in the OG really owned that role lol

As for Alexia...honestly, I don't like both, because I don't like Alexia as a character (and CV's plot as a whole) and the writing for her is pretty bad in both games, but at least Karen sounds like I think Alexia should (a genius child frozen, who awoke in the body of an adult woman, but it's still an immature child in mind, even if a genius one). At the end of the day, I still think Alfred is a more compelling villain in both versions of CV. A psycho nepo baby who no ones at Umbrella actually respects (so they kicked him to that facility). He's very unhinged in the original and pretty much a full psycho in DC and I think both fit pretty well. Alexia is just...meh. And her BOW form is so anime-inspired that it's hard to take it seriously. That being said, I prefer Karen because I think her (and the DC script) suits what the character should be, on my opinion.
I appreciate your view on that, because yeah she was frozen as a child. Something about the voice in Darkside though just doesn't sound right to me. We know she thought of herself as a queen, lile the queen ant. And with her being a genius and working on really high level top notch stuff for Umbrella, hearing her giggling and talking to you like she's imploring you to go play hide & seek or tag or something.
Agree with this wholesale. The biggest glaring flaw of REmake is its lacklustre portrayal of the OG characters, they really lacked the B-movie charm they had in 1996. Chris I think was the worst butchering whilst Jill looked better but she just really lacked the dynamism she had in her original dialogue. "Barry? BARRY!?" Was just great after the Tyrant fight.

Chris just didn't seem as cool and alpha as he did in the original and they made him look a bit more boyish and inexperienced imo. I mean one could make an argument that that may work better for horror, but when your 1st game in the franchise that you've played is literally the 1st game, you have certain cognitive expectations of the characters in question.

To this day I just skip the cutscenes in REmake because they honestly are kinda boring. You cannot skip the cutscenes in OG RE1 but I don't mind and still get a kick out of them, regardless of how one thinks of the VA. I hope though if they ever remake another RE1 they do not remake the REmake but remake the original but take inspiration from the extended gameplay and atmosphere of the REmake and do better with character dynamism and not go with flat dialogue.
The REmake VA's definitely didn't have the same charm at all. Chris' was definitely the worst, boring really. They really didn't capture what an interesting and cool character he is in REmake, it doesn't even seem like the same guy from Code Veronica, or from what we read about him in Jill's Diary, or anything. He's just bland. I like the way RE5/RE6 gave his character some much appreciate and needed development.
RE1_Chris_Art.png

Chris_heaven_render.jpg

alleena-chris-50-hell-alleena.jpg

"Midnight. Chris, who has been on a leave of absence for a "vacation," called me so I visited his apartment. As soon as I walked into his room, he showed me a couple of pieces of paper. They were part of a virus research report entitled as simply as "G". Then Chris told me that "The nightmare still continues." He went on to say that, "It's not over yet." Ever since that day, he has been fighting all by himself without rest, without even telling me."

i thought Jill sounded fine, definitely felt that suspiciousness being involved in that mystery. Similar with Barry, i could feel how he was affected by Imbrella and Wesker had his family held hostage. I still prefer the OG VA's for most of RE1, though. Definitely Barry, Jill, Wesker.
URL]

FW1rfRkXwAUBQKp.jpg_large.jpg

Btw i ve mentioned how much i detest the idea of another damned remake. People wanting Code Veronica remade, a remake of the REmake of RE1 smh, RE5 really? And RE6 WTF? But i hadn't thought about the idea of an RE1 remake remaking RE1, NOT remaking the REmake of RE1...somehow that seems interesting.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

I always thought Jill looked more Italian/Russian in the original (Inezh is a Russian name anyway, is it not?) and her more forceful dialogue really augmented that theory. REmake Jill looks more Germanic/Swedish but acts like a plain Jane American. I read somewhere that Jill was in fact half Japanese half French in official canon but I don't believe that for a second because she never gave that vibe in any portrayal.

Ridley Lockhart

I always thought Jill looked more Italian/Russian in the original (Inezh is a Russian name anyway, is it not?) and her more forceful dialogue really augmented that theory. REmake Jill looks more Germanic/Swedish but acts like a plain Jane American. I read somewhere that Jill was in fact half Japanese half French in official canon but I don't believe that for a second because she never gave that vibe in any portrayal.
I had to look it up, and i found exactly that, her father being of French descent and her mother of Japanese migratory descent. Alas there was nothing to back it up, it's part of the "Lore"...

'a body of traditions and knowledge on a subject or held by a particular group, typically passed from person to person by word of mouth.'

I gotta have more than that before i commit myself to something like that, even though it's really not very important.

The only place i can really think of is the Archives book which is essentially an RE Encyclopedia. And i don't have mine on my person atm to confirm or dispell this.
RE_Archs_Character_Sample.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.R

I honestly think that Jill being of French-Japanese anscestry was a thing to try and hook Japanese players a bit (just like Rebecca Chambers whole existence), so the game won't be full-American. Jill never looked like someone with Japanese traces on her, nor did her face models. It's a piece of the lore that never appeared in games (only in supplemental materials) and it was just waved around back when the series first started. It's not something one should read too much into it (and sometimes RE fans have tendency of reading way too much into small things...maybe it's Capcom's fault for being pretty loose with their own lore but...)

Ridley Lockhart

I honestly think that Jill being of French-Japanese anscestry was a thing to try and hook Japanese players a bit (just like Rebecca Chambers whole existence), so the game won't be full-American. Jill never looked like someone with Japanese traces on her, nor did her face models. It's a piece of the lore that never appeared in games (only in supplemental materials) and it was just waved around back when the series first started. It's not something one should read too much into it (and sometimes RE fans have tendency of reading way too much into small things...maybe it's Capcom's fault for being pretty loose with their own lore but...)
I think you may be right, Mr.R. butttt, with this image of Jill from RE3R i can almost see the half japanese/half french lineage. Maybe it's just me. I still think it's nonsense anyways.

But what do you mean about Becca?

Ikawaru

I see the French in RE3R Jill but not the Japanese.

Not a single RE game where Jill looks remotely Japanese, She has deviated from looking Russian/Italian, to Swedish/German, to French/British.

Fun fact, I used to Call Jill "Rita" in the late 90's because she looked quite Italian to me back then, and her wielding an Italian made Beretta 92FS made it all the better. I'm probably literally the only person in existence who felt this way though xD.

Ridley Lockhart

I see the French in RE3R Jill but not the Japanese.

Not a single RE game where Jill looks remotely Japanese, She has deviated from looking Russian/Italian, to Swedish/German, to French/British.

Fun fact, I used to Call Jill "Rita" in the late 90's because she looked quite Italian to me back then, and her wielding an Italian made Beretta 92FS made it all the better. I'm probably literally the only person in existence who felt this way though xD.
Dammit this MF autocorrect is going to be the end of me, or my device after i break this ****er of a phone for once and for all.

Okay, i meanttt to say RE3 Jill image. Not RE3R. Spellcheck keeps inserting itself incorrectly over what im spelling, and it's very frequently the OPPOSITE of what i intend.

Ok, so referring to THIS image.
Jill_prunyuu_.png

This is the image that i thought i could slightly see the French/Japanese descent. The OG Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

also i can agree about Jill slightly looking italian.

Ikawaru

Ok, fair enough. OG RE3 is the only game where she might be able to get away with the French/Japanese lineage. It's too bad they couldn't keep her look consistent though starting with RE3 and they changed her appearance multiple times after that.

Ridley Lockhart

It's too bad they couldn't keep her look consistent though starting with RE3 and they changed her appearance multiple times after that.
Yes, it would be nice if they could could find a consistent face for not only Jill, but all of the RE at least main characters.

Which Jill face is the best?

OG RE1 Jill
maxresdefault_(1).jpg

OG RE3: Nemesis Jill
Jill-Valetine-Resident-Evil-3-1140x570.jpg

REmake/Julia Voth Jill
biouc_6.jpg

Revelations Jill
314-3146567_jill-valentine-resident-evil-revelations-game-jill.png

Operation Raccoon City Jill
FFtDQYbVkAMGHs9.jpeg

Jill RE3R
images.jpeg

Which incarnation of the character do you like the best or do you think most accurately conveys and portrays the character of Jill Valentine, ex-S.T.A.R.S., B.S.A.A., veteran character opposition to Umbrella and Bio-Terrorism?
EtmPGtsVkAEW07O.jpeg

Last edited:

Ridley Lockhart

Sasha Zotova.
So RE3R Jill for you Arachne.

Is this Sasha Zotova?
40dak5svxvq71.jpg

If that's the same facial model, I'm not entirely sure what the difference I'm noticing is exactly.
tumblr_d7dbea95ae4bc15ba5432cec1999d85a_3043e213_640.jpg

Almost like a deep fake was put on someone's head. The video game, ugh. This is a personal pet peeve.
1439668467-9fc3fbef50785a38a2f7b4febd4328dfd2b8317845e039056023d2dd03046e84-d.jpeg

And then comparing RE3R Jill to REmake, UC, RE5, Merc's 3D, Jill.
CREz0czUYAAT8Z4.jpg

JillUC.png
Resident_evil_3_remake_jill_classic_outfit_png_by_xgamergreaserx_ddsepxw-pre.png

And it isn't just the appearance that irks me, cause they made a few tweaks in RE2R to Claire, most noticably her attire was very different. With Jill the look is off, and the personality is just completely outta whack. Voice actress aside, just the lines her dialogue is so ****ed. Yeah, Jill throwing out the "F Word", the "B Word"..like that's not the Jill.

That's partly why i was looking forwar to that RE3 Unreal Engine 5 fan made project. Even just the bits I've seen look 10x better than Crapcom's official RE3R. IMO.

I am being kind of a hater, but not for no reason or ****s and giggles, I'm really disappointed with 3Make and the 'demand' or insistence in having a "Code Veronica remake!", Or "RE5 Needs A Remake!!" Or "I hope they remake RE6 next!" just...

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Yes that's her. Jill's personality in RE3R was my favorite also.

I think Claire looked wonderful in the RE2R. Would love to see Jordan Mcewen return for CVXR if they ever get around to it.

Top Bottom