• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil timeline/canon - is this accurate??

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Hi there guys,

I've done an appendix for my dissertation outlining the RE franchise for those that don't know it. Basically I've attributed it to a tree, as my diagram shows - RE (1996) being the roots for the franchise, then the entire RE canon being the trunk (fixed, established), the all other parallel universes that don't exist within that canon being the branches.

The description I wrote for it on the cover pages:

"The franchise, as outlined in the diagram on the following pages, is somewhat like a tree.

Its roots are with the original 1996 game, Resident Evil for the Sony PlayStation. The reason I have not included this in the ‘trunk’ of the franchise is because its canon was mostly overridden by its 2002 remake, which added new plot details and characters (such as the crimson head zombies, or the monstrous Lisa Trevor – neither of which were in the original 1996 game).

The ‘trunk’ of the franchise represents the established, fixed canon of the entire franchise, from each of the main games to all of the smaller spin-off tales that add to it.

The branches indicate where the franchise has evolved into parallel universes, separate timelines that could not possibly exist within the frame of the true continuity as their plot details conflict it but they serve to create new stories and spins on the Resident Evil universe, entertainment in their own right even if they do not add to the canon."

http://www.mediafire.com/?dtob2dbi3pb60iv

Please download it from the link above and tell me what you think. Is it accurate??

I'm probably not going to add Pachislot or the mobile/iOS games/Mercenaries 3D as they don't really do much. Nor will I add director's cuts/tweaked ports.

Thanks for your feedback :) xxx

bruno

Chief Researcher
Hi there guys,

I've done an appendix for my dissertation outlining the RE franchise for those that don't know it. Basically I've attributed it to a tree, as my diagram shows - RE (1996) being the roots for the franchise, then the entire RE canon being the trunk (fixed, established), the all other parallel universes that don't exist within that canon being the branches.

The description I wrote for it on the cover pages:

"The franchise, as outlined in the diagram on the following pages, is somewhat like a tree.

Its roots are with the original 1996 game, Resident Evil for the Sony PlayStation. The reason I have not included this in the ‘trunk’ of the franchise is because its canon was mostly overridden by its 2002 remake, which added new plot details and characters (such as the crimson head zombies, or the monstrous Lisa Trevor – neither of which were in the original 1996 game).

The ‘trunk’ of the franchise represents the established, fixed canon of the entire franchise, from each of the main games to all of the smaller spin-off tales that add to it.

The branches indicate where the franchise has evolved into parallel universes, separate timelines that could not possibly exist within the frame of the true continuity as their plot details conflict it but they serve to create new stories and spins on the Resident Evil universe, entertainment in their own right even if they do not add to the canon."

http://www.mediafire.com/?dtob2dbi3pb60iv

Please download it from the link above and tell me what you think. Is it accurate??

I'm probably not going to add Pachislot or the mobile/iOS games/Mercenaries 3D as they don't really do much. Nor will I add director's cuts/tweaked ports.

Thanks for your feedback :) xxx

I think it's very accurate. I think you should add the comic book "prelude to the fall" which introduces the events of Umbrella's End and Dark Legacy. You should also add Mercs 3D, it's a console game and storywise it's as useful as Survivor2. However, i see you don't want to because it doesn't have a place in the chronology.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I've only used Survivor 2 as that is a dream straight after CV, thus having a place in the chronology. Maybe I can include it in misc games, as it imagines RE2 Claire and other characters from the past (RE3 Jill for example) in the 2009 tale of the Africa incident.

I don't know Prelude to the Fall! Never heard of it! Will have to look that up.

Thanks!

I think it's very accurate. I think you should add the comic book "prelude to the fall" which introduces the events of Umbrella's End and Dark Legacy. You should also add Mercs 3D, it's a console game and storywise it's as useful as Survivor2. However, i see you don't want to because it doesn't have a place in the chronology.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I've only used Survivor 2 as that is a dream straight after CV, thus having a place in the chronology. Maybe I can include it in misc games, as it imagines RE2 Claire and other characters from the past (RE3 Jill for example) in the 2009 tale of the Africa incident.

I don't know Prelude to the Fall! Never heard of it! Will have to look that up.

Thanks!
Actually, i think "Biohazard The Umbrella Chronicles: prelude to the fall" was only released in Japan, but I think it is part of the canon. Either way, I reccomend you to see it and decide by yourself. Here's Project Umbrella's article, you can download the translation from there:
http://projectumbrella.net/articles/BIOHAZARD-UMBRELLA-CHRONICLES-Prelude-Fall

There's also the comics "Biohazard Marhawa Desire", which leads to RE6, but only chapters 0 and 1 have been released.
http://projectumbrella.net/articles/BIOHAZARD-marhawa-desire

Survivor 2 actually happened during Code Veronica, when Claire was sleeping in the airplane that took her and Steve to the Antartic.

And yea, maybe the Mercs are not worth mentioning after all...

This might prove useful:
http://projectumbrella.net/editorials/BIOHAZARD-Canon

Top Bottom