• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Resident Evil sales have weakened

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Not sure if this has been posted yet but..

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rofit-estimates-on-weak-resident-evil-6-sales

The sales for RE6 have weakened apparently and now Capcom definitely feels that they will not hit their initial goal for this game and considering how much Capcom goes off of hitting their goals and making money I would have to say this is a bad thing for everyone who loved RE6.

Add that with the VERY mixed reviews from critics and fans alike and you may see Capcom rethinking their direction for this series.

Now all that being said, I actually liked RE6, or parts of RE6 such as Leon and Ada's campaign, but its painfully obvious the route that Capcom is trying to take with the series and I don't agree with it.

So how do I feel about new development?

Frankly I'm hopeful that this will cause Capcom to put more emphasis on horror rather than action in later games.

What are your thoughts on this?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think it was a long time coming. I mean what do you expect when you start a series and then completely depart from the original idea five games in?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I think it was a long time coming. I mean what do you expect when you start a series and then completely depart from the original idea five games in?

well said.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to them.

Seeing as how they are now releasing the survival horror oriented Resident Evil revelations on Xbox 360,PS3,PC, and Wii U it may be hope that Capcom sees that there may be more to gain by going back to its survival horror roots for later games.

I think the best we can hope for at this point is that they start taking the artist route instead of the business route. Video games are an art, and while it may not make them billionaires, if they become more interested in just sharing their work like they used to, they'll be fine. RE doesn't HAVE to sell 20 million copies on release day. I love RE being a house hold name but I don't care about it's reputation among casual fans if it means killing the series off, rebooting or discontinuing it.

I've stated a million times before that a lot of reviews come from generic shooters fans that don't even really care about RE or what it is. Example: I can't shoot while running in RE5. How often did you hear a classic fan complain about that?

I say Capcom, let them just move on to a generic shooter that will please them, you don't need their sale. They don't like RE anyway, they like the new IT game that is posted all over the walls of every Gamestop.

Then there is the ultra purist that are still expecting RE to go back to the formula in part 0-Code Veronica. I love the classics, but I understand that the series needed to change to survive even among the long time fans.

I really appreciate the fact that they tried to please everyone in this game, but unfortunately I think that is the minority opinion. It didn't seem to work. :(

Cappy, just stop worrying about sales so much and just be artist. Opinions obviously matter to an extent but once you stop caring so much about what EVERYBODY and their grandmama thinks about everything and start only doing what you love while staying true, that is oddly and ironically when things usually start going up from there. (I certainly have my complaints, but I know nothing is perfect. Hell most of my complaints come from the observation that they're not trying to be the best artist they can be.)

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I agree with 013, its the artistry that they're missing these days. Mostly the atmosphere, which I feel like they nailed in a bit of Leon's campaign in RE6. But the reading files, inspecting things, the good story, and puzzles were definitely lacking recently. And I'm not a "purist", but I don't think these factors should be completely disregarded from the games. Hell, RE4 is the last time I remember these being remotely prominent.

I do appreciate that they tried to please a bit of everyone with this last release, and I want to say it was testing the waters for what "fans" want. But, knowing Capcom(and hell, any business), that would be taking a big financial risk and a great leap of faith. But if history repeats, they could take a page from past en-devours and pull a RE4. They need that common ground again. The common denominator between horror and action.

But back on topic, I hope this is a wake up call to Capcom. It seems they've been taking fans consideration with all the updates for RE6. Hopefully they take it to heart and don't make another game that's just, awkward. Hell, I enjoyed RE6, it got criminally low score, but it was fun my first playthrough.

Reactions: 013

Spyder

La Vita Nuova
I think it's a huge wake up call. And I think they've already gotten the message considering all the work they're doing now bringing Revelations to consoles (as per massive fan request).

I loved the game. I still love playing it, and if you pan the camera all the way out it becomes more beautiful and RE like. But there are a ton of things that I miss (and kind of expect) from an RE title, and a lot of things I was frustrated with more than I have been with any RE game.

Also people are still buying the game, but Capcom's not gettin anything because they're all being bought used. I bought RE6 3 months ago on the day it came out for $60. The Anthology (with 1DC,2,3,4HD,5Gold, and 6) was $80. I returned to the store 2 weeks ago and they had at least 10 copies used (VERY gently). The Anthology is 30 bucks and there were a bunch of them there. People are gettin rid of them pretty damn fast for such a new game.

Also I don't think it made action fans any happier either. The constant cutscenes and sequences turn off the zombie hunters and the super fast pace turns off the RE fans. What can ya do but go back and look at what WAS working? (ie Revelations).

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I think it's a huge wake up call. And I think they've already gotten the message considering all the work they're doing now bringing Revelations to consoles (as per massive fan request).

I loved the game. I still love playing it, and if you pan the camera all the way out it becomes more beautiful and RE like. But there are a ton of things that I miss (and kind of expect) from an RE title, and a lot of things I was frustrated with more than I have been with any RE game.

Also people are still buying the game, but Capcom's not gettin anything because they're all being bought used. I bought RE6 3 months ago on the day it came out for $60. The Anthology (with 1DC,2,3,4HD,5Gold, and 6) was $80. I returned to the store 2 weeks ago and they had at least 10 copies used (VERY gently). The Anthology is 30 bucks and there were a bunch of them there. People are gettin rid of them pretty damn fast for such a new game.

Also I don't think it made action fans any happier either. The constant cutscenes and sequences turn off the zombie hunters and the super fast pace turns off the RE fans. What can ya do but go back and look at what WAS working? (ie Revelations).
Yeah I pan the camera all the way out and use the laser sight and I find it a lot more of en enjoyable experience.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
lets blame call of duty!

nah, I blame capcom for even wanting to branch out from the genre they revolutionized to even try to compete against the likes of Call of Duty.

They aimed their bar far to high in my honest opinion and should have just stayed in their own lane.

Mr Sunshine

I haven't played the game, but judging from what I see it seems that capcom, in its effort to satisfy everyone, failed to give depth to the gameplay and only accomplished a little bit of everything.

Most likely, we won't be seeing RE 7 too soon and when we do it will be focused on one genre. Probably the action one considering where the market is going.. :/ Unless there is one of those reboots that capcom loves to make lately..

Howard

Hero of the alspark
I just hope the next Zelda game doesn't turn into a third person shooter like RE6..
Moving away from that, I am starting to miss going though mansions and shooting slow zombies..

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I just hope the next Zelda game doesn't turn into a third person shooter like RE6..
Moving away from that, I am starting to miss going though mansions and shooting slow zombies..

I highly doubt the RE series would have been as successful as it is today, if Capcom stuck solely to mansions and slow moving zombies.

And while some of you don't appreciate the new direction Capcom has taken RE, I find it suiting, since everything shown in all games is what I would expect from a game series centered around preventing, containing, and surviving a bio-hazardous outbreak.

I AM LEGEND

Shine Bright Like A Diamond
Oh boy lol ...

I love RE games .. all the parts ..

BUT Capcom has veered off the road after RE3 ...

message to Capcom :

its not difficult to bring back HORROR to the game ... just look at RE2 and RE3 .. look at the soundtrack look at the "innocent" zombies .. look at the puzzles .. look at the save rooms and its soundtrack .. its not difficult ..

look at the sound when u press START on RE3 lol .. holy**** its very scary sound .." RESIDENT EVIL "
i swear i could not sleep that night :( ...

and thanks for listening :cool:

Sonnentreppe

wordy agronaut
Surprise, surprise. I would have still bought 6 on Day 1, and I'll buy 7 on Day 1. Because, I'm such a massive fan. Guys, I play RE2 in my sleep. That's why I bitch about the game so much; otherwise, I would have said "sayonara" a long time ago. So, take it from me--RE6 sucked. That's just my opinion though, of course, but I rarely defend my right to an opinion because I feel like it's my post--saying that it's my opinion all the damn time is redundant. If I write it, it's my opinion. Duh. But anyway, what RE6 did teach me, though I will buy 7 Day 1, I'm sure, is that I need to wait a month before buying most games to see if they sell well. Reviews aren't worth ****, obviously, so the real tests are sales and how quickly the price drops. ORC dropped like $20 in a week. That alone should say something. But, I think Capcom will continue to make RE games for a while. RE is one of their most profitable series, regardless, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
RE 6, in my humble opinion, did not sell particularly well because it stunk as a game. I've never been bored out of my mind by an RE game before like I was with RE 6. It was just so unpolished and messy and it felt rushed and like it was trying to be everything at once but it was missing something important all its predecessors had. This is purely opinion, of course.

TomVinPrice

Mercenary
Hopefully they see where they've gone wrong and go back to what worked for the games.

If RE7 turns out like RE6 I wont buy it. 6 was good, but it was disappointingly not good enough.

Howard

Hero of the alspark
Hopefully they see where they've gone wrong and go back to what worked for the games.

If RE7 turns out like RE6 I wont buy it. 6 was good, but it was disappointingly not good enough.
Knowing Capcom, we can only hope the horror element that put RE on the map returns.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
I would have never thought they would port a handheld game to the major platforms.
It is an obvious sign indicating that Capcom did comprehend the current situation and gave the most rapid response they could which of course is porting their latest successful game rather than taking longer (which only would leave a longer time frame in which people aren't pleased with them, risking losing the fanbase) to make a completely new game.

Top Bottom