• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Restoration Project (PC, PSX) (Release)

kalash49

Resident Evil 3: Restoration Project

From being a simple idea of moving fullscreen videos from the SourceNext game into vanilla version,
the project has gradually got to the stage of a considerable visual and technical overhaul in order to enhance
many of the game aspects. It is worth mentioning, that only original HQ resources, created by Capcom itself,
were used to achieve the current result. This project has nothing to do with mods, it is rather a restoration of
in-game features, which include the following:

1. A huge amount of work has been done to replace narrow video cutscenes with fullscreen HQ video
from Sourcenext version, which required us to remove Japanese subtitles manually from every single frame.

9OQUbZYY31Dh3TVIyhUD35G3NqjMOlDH2FBQOTVOysrpkHLwer-sNSG235qWIE4FZOV0gjqTG3XhKmeGCua_yw%3D%3D
9OQUbZYY31Dh3TVIyhUD3xhWQThfB8s3aLzqMG_EKf67InaoiJOOIS8W-roXa9ui_eOGJn1T2tfMV68rJ0-wvg%3D%3D

2. The original low quality soundtrack has been replaced with high quality version taken from game’s official OST.

3. The English voiceover was replaced with its PSX version, because of a higher bitrate.

4. The in-game text was centered for comfortable reading.

5. Some of the pre-rendered backgrounds were replaced with HQ ones that were found inside game
files but were left out by developers for no reason.

6. A few bugs were fixed in cutscenes and in-game locations.

7. The game now has full support of XBOX 360 controllers, so you don't need to configure anything
(thanks to Lexas87) .

8. Flying head bug was finally fixed in PC version (thanks to rhymekidder, myloch).

9. You might soon have an opportunity to enjoy a fully restored graphics in the PC version of the game,
so stay tuned and keep following the news.

This patch supports any game version including SourceNext, but
keep in mind that it turns any game version in common USA edition.

I would like to present you the outcome of our long and hard work that my team and I were doing for over a year and a half. It is about one of my favorite games - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which was the first one introducing me to the world of this brilliant franchise. As I tried different versions of the game, looking for advantages and disadvantages present in each of them, I was hooked up on a feeling that developers have created a sort of puzzle quest for their players, because practically every version of the game had its own unique features that were not present on other platforms.
Thus, the PSX version has the best VO quality, Dreamcast game can make boast of its HQ background sound effects (shooting, zombie moans, step sounds etc.), while PC version is the worst in terms of its music, sounds, and video quality, but the SourceNext edition came out with video quality improved. Another advantage of PC version is its modding flexibility, which became the final argument in favor of using it as a platform for our project.

Official Project Page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-3-restoration-project

PSX Fullscreen Movies Patch:
https://yadi.sk/d/qu-gMr9Mqz22Y
* This PPF patch brings fullscreen SourceNext movies + Flying head fix in PSX RE3 USA version.

• Image for patching: Standard SLUS_0923 Redump image

• MD5 values:

Source image: 03CCF2F717DAD9168640F518DD4E3E80
Result image: 2CC9B885B312AF56390C69A724785ADD

PSX fullscreen movie hack author: Brill
Flying head fix author: Rhymekidder

Video cleaning team:
(per frame Japanese subtitles cleaning)

Kalash49
Viktor Volkov
Yevgeny Lychany (aka Johnny Doe)
Anastasia Zhukova

This patch may be redistributed at other sites only
if all the above information is specified.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* If you have serious intentions about adaptations of this improvements for different language version
(PC or PSX), feel free to to appeal your proposals directly to me.

Last edited:

plant99

V-ACT
I think i saw a video pertaining to this project. I have to say it's absolutely brilliant. I mean, it's not a full remaster, but i know that would be too hard for a small team. The great thing about this is the small changes you've inputted. I have a respect for modders like you. Real fans and determination. Unfortunately, i can't really play this. But it looks good!

kalash49

Big thanks for your opinion plant99, I really appreciate that. I already start thinking that no one never pay attention on this thread, cause such projects probably don't need for community in light of lack of reaction in such as big site like this. By talks about "small changes", I'd like to say that it is our hi priority - "maximum original - minimum changes", and I think we've manage to reach of that target, cause personally I didn't see any changes at all, that is 99,999 % original with recreated quality in most important aspects, like music, voiceover, FMV and graphics in near future. The one hundredth of percent is just some tiny and small technical differences that can't be seen by naked eye. But if we look on changes like on improvements, for example in latest version of our project we've reached music quality from completely lossy 176 Kbit/s. to completely lossless 1411 Kbit/s. and now PC version have the best sound quality compared with other platforms, that's a big change for me and I very proud it. However, it's really sad that we should do it instead of original game developers, they talented people, we have large respect to them, but it's so weird that they didn't realized so big graphical potential of this game, after all they have all means for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom