• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 HD Remaster (Official Topic)

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
The Evil Within did it well. When 10 of those zombie looking things are running at you, I find it hard to aim at them. They're not even easy to kill.
I've finished Akumu Mode, i know that game in&out. it wasn't immersive whatsoever. Looking at your character's 3d butt 24/7 doesn't immerse you into the atmosphere. So REmake 2 is the same for me, i don't care how many zombies attack you or whatever, it ain't gonna be creepy&atmospheric unless its fixed or First Person. No enemies had to ambush me in Remake to make me feel creeped out, the best parts of Classic RE games were just you exploring the desolate locations and feeling a sense of creepiness in every new angle.

I know that 3rd person Adventure games are in the vogue right now and are easy crowd pleasers(AKA Guaranteed $$$), but they were NEVER good for horror games and i stick by my statement. REmake 2 has become a such a safe moneygrab rather than a truly faithful remake.

So in other words, a lot of fans who wanted a scene for scene remake like the first remake pretty much was, are feeling disappointed and rightfully so. Because so much has changed with gaming, and Capcom left it over 15 years too late to do a remake like what Shinji Mikami did with the original. This is why I know many long term fans are angry and feel let down by Capcom. Like this guy here, on YouTube, says a lot.
I Didn't Want a scene for scene remake! I wanted a full remake like they're doing right now, except in Fixed or FPS camera but Capcom really destroyed my hype with that OTS 3rd person camera. I'm just gonna buy DMC5 and pretend like its Classic RE game i've been waiting for all these cus it has fixed camera angles.

The original REmake wasn't a "Scene for Scene" remake either, the mansion layout was 80% different.

Last edited:

Mjolnir Mark IV

I just want to say I've recently noticed people resorting to some pretty harsh derision here in this thread (not towards me, but to each other). Maybe it's because I'm new here and I don't know the history people have with each other, but it creates a pretty unfriendly atmosphere, and it isn't right to hurt people's feelings when all they're doing is something as harmless as disagreeing with you about a video game. You guys should treat each other more respectfully. If you passionately disagree with someone, you should be attacking their logic, not the person.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I just want to say I've recently noticed people resorting to some pretty harsh derision here in this thread (not towards me, but to each other). Maybe it's because I'm new here and I don't know the history people have with each other, but it creates a pretty unfriendly atmosphere, and it isn't right to hurt people's feelings when all they're doing is something as harmless as disagreeing with you about a video game. You guys should treat each other more respectfully. If you passionately disagree with someone, you should be attacking their logic, not the person.

No matter how heated, most of us can keep discourse to its dedicated thread and keep on pretty friendly terms otherwise
and never resort to harassment and spamming the rest of the website when something's not going our way.
Which is why the person who really should be reading your post is already gone.

But we should be creating something more of a positive atmosphere in this thread, certainly. Feel free to check out some of our other threads in General Discussion, too.

Mine's Real Butter

I'm so buying this on day one. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this and the zombies outshine the zombies from the PlayStation era. Well, I know people say it's so unlike the original, or even the remake of the original first game, but see it as being brand new.

Oasis

Really excited about this remake. I'm a die-hard fan of the original Playstation games and I'm frankly depressed about the direction taken by the franchise lately. Also let's get serious, while its structure was a complete recycling of Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2 is the only episode ever to have had something resembling a consistent story.

Do we know if it is somewhat of a canon sequel to Resident Evil 2002?

(If the word "canon" even means anything in the mess Capcom calls continuity.)

Well guess what buddy? Today is your lucky day! You don’t have to worry about me anymore because I am done with you, your followers and this entire site, I have better things to do than to talk to bullies on the internet that don’t respect other people’s opinions and make up stories about them being liars.

So jog on and forget that I existed.

NOOOO MisterScott, don't go. I wanna talk about the difference between gameplay, in-game storytelling and overall video game continuity.

Also to any person who mocked him: he's right, you know. Technically Resident Evil is like ten alternate universes by this point. I mean we have the aborted Gaiden continuity with Leon killed and replaced by a shapeshifting Tyrant, the terrible movie version, the Umbrella Chronicles reinterpretation of the first games' events, etc. It's just delusional and plain wrong to think this is not a kind of multiverse, extradiegetically I mean.

KevinStriker

Also to any person who mocked him: he's right, you know. Technically Resident Evil is like ten alternate universes by this point.

You could probably say the exact same thing about Metal Gear Solid's timeline with all the Retcons thst Kojima makes, or plot revelations in more recent games that fans like myself just sort of ignore.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I know it's fake, but man, whoever did this REmake 2 cover art deserves a f*cking medal because it looks sick as hell:

sivQrns.jpg

It could very easily pass for the real cover.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I know it's fake, but man, whoever did this REmake 2 cover art deserves a f*cking medal because it looks sick as hell:

sivQrns.jpg

It could very easily pass for the real cover.
It was announced that that is the official cover art on the RE official Facebook and Twitter pages.

I agree though, it is such cool artwork. And Claire looks better here than she has in the other pictures we've seen of her so far.

Last edited:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
It was announced that that is the official cover art on the RE official Facebook and Twitter pages.

I agree though, it is such cool artwork. And Claire looks better here than she has in the other pictures we've seen of her so far.

Oh really? F*ck me sideways, I saw it posted on another forum a few days ago and could've swore it was fake. :lol:

The user who posted the image even thought it was fan made. What a coincidence.

Last edited:

Mjolnir Mark IV

Also to any person who mocked him: he's right, you know. Technically Resident Evil is like ten alternate universes by this point.
You could probably say the exact same thing about Metal Gear Solid's timeline with all the Retcons thst Kojima makes, or plot revelations in more recent games that fans like myself just sort of ignore.

There is one example of retconning in Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series enough to substantiate an alternate universe, and none of the revelations are enough to substantiate any alternate universes. The Shadow Moses Island facility is different in MGS4, so that makes only one alternative universe—not ten. And it's worth mentioning that this change has no impact on the narrative or characters, so it's an alternate universe where one facility looks different, but the same events transpire in the same way with identical characters and identical everything else. The variations in the RE series are much more substantial, distinct, and numerous.

You have a better case citing the alternate ending in MGS1, or the cutscene variations in MGS3. But even still, they don't compare with the number of variations in the RE series. But if you were to throw in the non-Kojima MGS titles like The Twin Snakes, then that gets us closer to having enough to compare. But even then it's tricky, because the two remakes are unfaithful in very different ways. For example, the dialog, character designs, layout of the environments, and end result of each cutscene in The Twin Snakes all remain largely unchanged, unlike the RE2 remake.

The MGS series does quite a bit of retconning with the MG series that came before it (before it was renumbered starting with Metal Gear Solid), but that's not what you seem to be referring to. And even if it is, that's only one additional alternate timeline, albeit a significant one.

Turo602

The King of Kings
There is one example of retconning in Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series enough to substantiate an alternate universe, and none of the revelations are enough to substantiate any alternate universes. The Shadow Moses Island facility is different in MGS4, so that makes only one alternative universe—not ten. And it's worth mentioning that this change has no impact on the narrative or characters, so it's an alternate universe where one facility looks different, but the same events transpire in the same way with identical characters and identical everything else. The variations in the RE series are much more substantial, distinct, and numerous.

You have a better case citing the alternate ending in MGS1, or the cutscene variations in MGS3. But even still, they don't compare with the number of variations in the RE series. But if you were to throw in the non-Kojima MGS titles like The Twin Snakes, then that gets us closer to having enough to compare. But even then it's tricky, because the two remakes are unfaithful in very different ways. For example, the dialog, character designs, layout of the environments, and end result of each cutscene in The Twin Snakes all remain largely unchanged, unlike the RE2 remake.

The MGS series does quite a bit of retconning with the MG series that came before it (before it was renumbered starting with Metal Gear Solid), but that's not what you seem to be referring to. And even if it is, that's only one additional alternate timeline, albeit a significant one.

There are no alternate universes. Stop making things up.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Why don't you explain how both endings in Metal Gear Solid happened in the same timeline, and we'll see who's making things up.

Give me facts that confirm there are multiple timelines in which these games exist. Not your opinions that are trying to make sense of inconsistencies within canon.

Mjolnir Mark IV

Give me facts that confirm there are multiple timelines in which these games exist.
Metal Gear Solid SPOILERS (highlight text to view):
  • Snake gives in to torture and Meryl dies. The ending features Snake and Otacon.
  • Snake doesn't give in to torture and Meryl lives. The ending features Snake and Meryl.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Metal Gear Solid SPOILERS (highlight text to view):
  • Snake gives in to torture and Meryl dies. The ending features Snake and Otacon.
  • Snake doesn't give in to torture and Meryl lives. The ending features Snake and Meryl.

Only one is canon. You're still not providing any facts to support your theory.

KevinStriker

Allow me to be crystal clear on this: Ignoring the retcons and events of future games is my own choice as a fan because I prefer to leave stuff like The Patriots to the imagination and I think retconning Naked Snake and his radio contacts into being The Patriots is dumb. What I said about an alternate time was never to be taken seriously.

The reason Shadow Moses is different (on the inside; they're almost identical outside) between MGS1 and 4 is for the sake of brevity.
The reason Arsenal Gear is different between MGS2 and 4 is because it was a corrupted computer simulation in 2.
Twin Snakes has never been re-released on HD collections in favour of MGS1. It's never left the GameCube. It is a remake and non-canon.

Anyway, isn't this a Resident Evil 2 thread?

Resident Evil 2's cover art on Amazon right now really reminds me of Darkside Chronicles' promotional art.

811t6GnaulL._SL1500_.jpg

1989433-leonandclaire.jpg

Mjolnir Mark IV

What do you think?
I call it a timeline. I have no idea what you call it, which is why I asked. You seem unwilling to commit to a word.

And yet, it doesn't support your alternative timelines theory because only one truly happens.
Description, not theory. And those MGS facts do support it. Both strings of events cannot occupy the same place at the same time, therefore they are not part of the same timeline, i.e. there is more than one timeline. And of course only one truly happens. To have two timelines exist in the same universe is paradoxical, and choosing to acknowledge both timelines in the sequels would further complicate an already immensely convoluted series—that kind of thing is rarely done outside of franchises that center around time travel or parallel-universe traversal. While returning to an alternate timeline in an MGS sequel could be interesting, continuing into the sequels is not one of the requirements of an alternate timeline.

If it's a timeline not recognized in the sequels, that doesn't mean it's not an alternate timeline. It just means it's an alternate timeline that didn't continue for as long, or wasn't revisited. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. MGS has been released multiple times, and never once did Kojima choose to omit the timeline that doesn't continue into the sequels. Anyone who plays that game can still experience either timeline, so it's gotta be called something. In fact, first-timers are probably more likely to branch off into the timeline that isn't continued in the sequels.

The reason Arsenal Gear is different between MGS2 and 4 is because it was a corrupted computer simulation in 2.
Arsenal Gear was a fortress the characters physically visited. You might be thinking of GW, the AI. And five years pass between MGS2 and MGS4—more than enough for Arsenal Gear to be modified.

Twin Snakes has never been re-released on HD collections in favour of MGS1. It's never left the GameCube. It is a remake and non-canon.
And it's always the original MGS footage that's used in flashbacks in the sequels, and the original MGS models that are used for optional character model extras in MGS2S, MGS4 and MGSV.

Anyway, isn't this a Resident Evil 2 thread?
Says the one who brought up MGS. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom