• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 RE 4 is a plagiarism ?

Masterteo89_

Hi, in these days i was reading an old manga, called Parasyte. I swear, it's RE4, the monsters are almost the same. Just look at this page :

http://www.mangareader.net/parasyte/56/27

and tell me if this bad guy is not the same as Krauser. But all the manga is about parasites that attack humans by morphing the head in tentacles etc etc very very similar to the monsters of RE4.

And considering that this manga is from 1990-1995, it came out way before RE4.

What can i say, another reason for me to dislike RE4.

Try and read this old manga...

Name:
Parasyte
Alternate Name: Kiseiju, Parasite, Parasitic Beasts, Parasyte, Kiseijuu
Year of Release: 1990-1995
Author: Iwaaki, Hitoshi (Story & Art)

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Please. Listen, bud, I don't care who likes RE 4 and who doesn't and why. But you can't critique it using an argument that can easily be applied to every Resident Evil game ever.

Do you think the original Resident Evil game was the first IP to include zombies? Based on your argument, RE 1 plagiarized Night of the Living Dead. Do you think RE 1 was the first game to take place in a haunted mansion? Wrong again, Bob. RE developers were largely influenced by Sweet Home - which was a game set in an abandoned mansion, complete with puzzles, lockpicks, death animations, save rooms, dual character paths, etc etc.

It's hypocritical to point the finger at RE 4 for plagiarism because the design of some of its enemies are similar to an obscure little '90s manga, and not recognize the fact the core elements of Resident Evil itself were significantly influenced by earlier works.

Masterteo89_

I write what i see. And i see a manga with a lot of monsters very similars, if not identical, to the ones that we see in RE4.

That said, feel free to disagree. Maybe next time respect a little other people's opinions before calling someone a hypocrite.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
It's not even a matter of disagreeing. It's silly to say 'oh, another reason for me to dislike RE 4' when the entire series itself has been influenced by George Romero and a handful of games that came before it. Why are you not upset about that?

Plagiarism isn't a light charge to throw around without truly understanding what constitutes it.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I agree with La Femma Fatale,

It's a double standard in my eyes to throw salt at Resident Evil 4 for possibly taking some influence for their enemies ingame from a older manga while giving the old games a pass for doing exactly the same thing.

It's perfectly fine if you do not like RE4, but to fair it would have probably helped your point if you had not just singled out RE4 while giving the older game a complete pass and then becoming upset when Le Femme Fatala pointing that out. That plus your line,

What can i say, another reason for me to dislike RE4.

Could make others interpret that your judgement could be kinda biased.

Masterteo89_

I find that in this case it's more than just inspired in something. You find my opinion silly and an hypocrite ?

Good, read the manga and then , only then, we can discuss about this. Until then, how can you throw judgements on other peoples like you do? If you don't even know this manga, how can you know the level of similarity that the manga share with RE4?

It's silly also disagee with someone when you in the first place don't know the manga. Considering that my argument is heavily influenced by this manga.

It's perfectly fine if you do not like RE4, but to fair it would have probably helped your point if you had not just singled out RE4

I talk about RE4 because the similarity involve only the manga and RE4

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I find that in this case it's more than just inspired in something. You find my opinion silly and an hypocrite ?

Good, read the manga and then , only then, we can discuss about this. Until then, how can you throw judgements on other peoples like you do? If you don't even know this manga, how can you know the level of similarity that the manga share with RE4?

It's silly also disagee with someone when you in the first place don't know the manga. Considering that my argument is heavily influenced by this manga

But that is the thing, no one is doubting that RE4 could have taking inspiration and based their enemies on that work, its entirely possible that it did.

However, the main point that is being expressed here is why are you faulting RE4 for doing this while not doing the same for the older entries?

Masterteo89_

However, the main point that is being expressed here is why are you faulting RE4 for doing this while not doing the same for the older entries?

No, that point was brought up by La Femme Fatale.

ToCool74, you are right. But you see, i made this thread on the RE4 section, talking only about RE4, because i was considering only RE4. I was not doing a discussion about all the RE games, else i would have searched a more general forum, don't you agree?

In RE4 section you talk about RE4, i thought it was obvious.

That's why i am not talking about the other series. It's not my aim judging the other RE games. I'm comparing a manga and RE4, simply that. I'm leaving the other games out of the picture.

And comparing this manga and RE4, i find things that more than one times are more than similar, things that seems like ripped out from the manga and put in RE4.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
No, that point was brought up by La Femme Fatale.

ToCool74, you are right. But you see, i made this thread on the RE4 section, talking only about RE4, because i was considering only RE4. I was not doing a discussion about all the RE games, else i would have searched a more general forum, don't you agree?

In RE4 section you talk about RE4, i thought it was obvious.

That's why i am not talking about the other series. It's not my aim judging the other RE games. I'm comparing a manga and RE4, simply that. I'm leaving the other games out of the picture.

And comparing this manga and RE4, i find things that more than one times are more than similar, things that seems like ripped out from the manga and put in RE4.

Well I meant the main point myself and La Femma where trying to make, the original point was the RE4 plagiarism stuff.

But yes this is the RE4 section, but that doesn't not mean you could not have added a little line like,

"*The original series also took elements from previous works to use ingame*"

At least that way your actually acknowledging that your not just singling out RE4 while still keeping your main point squarely on what you thought RE4 did.

Don't think that just because this is the RE4 section that even mentioning other games is taboo, as long as a entire discussion is not sprung from it its ok to make nods to them.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Masterteo, you're accusing Capcom of a serious ethical offence and you're using that to justify why you dislike RE 4. But Capcom has done nothing wrong - your claims hold no merit. People have been taking inspiration and influence from previous works for centuries. CENTURIES. Just because Bram Stoker used Dracula, doesn't mean that no one ever is allowed to write about blood-sucking assholes with fangs. We have lots of works about vampires, don't we? That's not plagiarism.

If Capcom is plagiarizing this manga, they would have stolen a significant portion of the original work. They didn't. They have some enemies that share similar features. Based on your previous posts, you obviously don't like RE 4 and prefer the older games. That's fair - you're allowed to prefer the older games. But it's a very selective argument to accuse RE 4 of being too strongly influenced by previous works when the entire series is susceptible to the very same argument - if not even more so. Had you simply linked to the manga and said something along the lines of 'hey, this looks like Krauser eh? Let's discuss!' then I probably would have reacted differently. But you didn't - you threw the word 'plagiarism' around and stated you disliked RE 4 on account of it. But RE 1's 'plagiarism' doesn't bother you in the least, does it? That's why it's a double standard.

And as ToCool said - none of these forums exist in a vacuum. Members are perfectly allowed to bring in other RE games for comparison. And a thicker skin might do you well, Masterteo. If you were offended by what I said, you're going to find the internet a rather tough place to navigate.

Top Bottom