• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question of the Week #2: Court Applauds Man Who Killed Child Molestor

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
NEWTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Applause erupted in a New Jersey courtroom Wednesday, after emotional remarks from a man who pleaded guilty to stabbing and killing the man he says molested him as a child.

As CBS2’s Dave Carlin reported, Clark Fredericks, 49, admitted to the stabbing that killed Dennis Pegg, who was his Boy Scout leader and a family friend decades ago.

The case has many asking whether Fredericks was right or wrong.

“From the time I was 8 years old until I was 12 years old, I was sexually assaulted and raped by Dennis Pegg,” Fredericks said in the Sussex County courtroom.

The confessed killer delivered a detailed, gut-wrenching account of what he said happened to him as a child, and what he did about it more than three decades later.

“It started with him wanting to touch my scar that I had through open-heart surgery at the age of 6,” Fredericks said. “It progressed to wrestling matches and eventually led to him raping me.”

Fredericks admitted that he killed retired correction officer and scoutmaster Pegg, 68, in Stillwater, New Jersey on June 12, 2012. No evidence of the childhood abuse was ever produced, but other men made similar allegations.

Fredericks said that Pegg had told him he’d had sexual relations with one of Fredericks’ friends, named Jeff, and that Pegg also showed Fredericks Polaroid photographs he said he had taken of other young men and boys unclothed. Jeff committed suicide in 1983, and Fredericks said he thinks sexual abuse by Pegg was to blame.

Friends in the courtroom sobbed as Fredericks talked about Pegg torturing and killing animals, threatening do the same to him if he “told anyone about our secret.” He said for many years, he would deny it whenever his mother and father asked if Pegg had hurt him even though they suspected it.

But Fredericks said because Pegg was a “respected law enforcement officer,” an “expert with guns,” and a leader in the Boy Scouts, he was “untouchable.”

“No one would believe my word over his,” he said.

Fredericks said throughout the decades to come, he would see Pegg around town – sometimes in the company of other young boys.

Then, as an adult, Pegg said his feelings of shame kept him quiet – until the trial started for serial child molester and former Penn State football coach football Jerry Sandusky.

“My reaction to seeing Sandusky get out of that car with his lawyer is that Dennis Pegg would never be held accountable,” Fredericks said. “The next day — June 12, 2012 — my shell cracked. My mind flooded with images, memories, anger, and mostly shame.”

Fredericks told the court his friend Bob Reynolds drove them here to Pegg’s house on Millbrook Road in Stillwater. The front door was open, and Fredericks walked in.

“At the end, I slit his throat,” Fredericks said.

There were no apologies, but Fredericks’ guilty plea on charges of passion/provocation manslaughter does away with a murder charge.

As Fredericks left the courtroom, there was eruption of applause.

Rose Funari of Blairstown said she applauded Fredericks “for coming out and standing up for himself.”

No one related to Pegg made any public statements. The prosecutors who agreed to the plea deal hoped it would bring closure.

“We feel it is a fair and appropriate result given all the circumstances,” said Sussex County Assistant Prosecutor Gregory Mueller.

The judge said the sentence, anywhere from five to ten years in prison, will be announced in September.

Reynolds also faces murder charges as an accomplice in the case, for allegedly driving Fredericks to the scene. He was not part of the plea deal, and is due back in court on Tuesday of next week.

Pegg served in the Boy Scouts from 1973 until 1980, but his name never appeared in any of the internal sex abuse files kept by the organization.
Your thoughts? Was Fredericks right or wrong to have taken matters in his own hands?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm just going to assume that the abused man's story is actually true (despite the lack of concrete evidence), because if it wasn't, we wouldn't need to discuss it.

My opinion: Yes, he did the right thing. And I find it unfair that he's going to jail for it. Under normal circumstances I'd say there's no need for vigilantism, we have the police and the court for this kind of stuff, but this wasn't a normal case obviously, and there are just so many crimes that go unnoticed, can't be proven, or won't be acknowledged. ("No one would believe my word over his.") Yet they're still happening and making someone suffer.

It starts as early as elementary school, where some kid is bullied without the teachers ever noticing or caring, and the one time they do notice/care is, of course, the one time the victim strikes back. I've seen it so many times. The victim is punished, as if their life wasn't already miserable enough, whereas the real culprit gets away with everything. It's only fair when they get what's coming to them eventually, but destiny/karma/god/whatever supernatural force you believe in is rarely as reliable as many movies make it out to be, so sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

He shouldn't have slit the older man's throat, though. Hang him up by his dick until it rips off, then stuff it into his mouth until he suffocates. That's how every brutal rapist should be dealt with.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Honestly, I say good for him for killing him. He shouldn't have gone to jail for killing him. It didn't look like Pegg would ever be caught, so Fredericks did the right thing. Pegg deserved to die.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I have sympathy for Fredericks but it wasn't right of him to kill Pegg. Fredericks can't be acquitted though I don't like to see him punished.

There must have been other ways for Fredericks to deal with it. He should have leaned on/forced Pegg to commit suicide. It wasn't right of Fredericks to do something that would send him in prison.

As a last resort he could have reported Pegg to the police. But the abuse was perhaps so long ago that Pegg couldn't be prosecuted now?

Cheer

Kamen Rider
No he wasn't. Taking someone's life is a crime. a logical mind isn't needed to see that. The parents could have prevented this crime from happening. I mean they suspected that there is something wrong but they didn't try to anything about it beside asking their son if he was hurt.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
No he wasn't. Taking someone's life is a crime. a logical mind isn't needed to see that. The parents could have prevented this crime from happening. I mean they suspected that there is something wrong but they didn't try to anything about it beside asking their son if he was hurt.

The parents definitely should have done more. It's kind of their fault that he killed the guy. It could have been avoided if they'd taken action.

ArabianLuffy

Legend
Premium
Personally, I will kill whoever mess with my life. Not going to give anything a second thought. Satisfaction only when I get what I want by my own hands. I will feel my soul will rest easy forever. I don't acknowledge any government and their laws when I see injustice. I will make my own justice and die for it. Not caring the slightest for anything. My way only.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Personally, I will kill whoever mess with my life. Not going to give anything a second thought. Satisfaction only when I get what I want by my own hands. I will feel my soul will rest easy forever. I don't acknowledge any government and their laws when I see injustice. I will make my own justice and die for it. Not caring the slightest for anything. My way only.

i agree lol

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Vigilantism is just murder with a 'justified' name. Would we applaud an individual with no history who murders a sex offender or a child trafficker? Of course we wouldn't. No-one should be applauded for killing another person!

I have been physically and mentally assaulted by my stepdad for eight years but would I kill him? No way in hell. Not only would I not jeopardise my life to satisfy a momentary surge of adrenalin, I also wouldn't see the point in it. Surely then we're resorting to the same base actions as abusers or murderers? I've dreamed about killing him in the most brutal ways but never would I actually kill another human being to make myself feel better for the misery they've inflicted on me. In fact, I want to make him suffer by being a decent human being; when he sees me when I'm successful, I want him to feel guilty at the fact that I'm not going to let him off easy by simply killing him.That brings me onto something I read from a post above: making your own justice, a statement that truly terrifies me in a society governed by law.

Making your own form of justice perverts why we have courts, lawyers and statute books! We live in a society governed by the rule of law for a particular reason, as it is not up to us to determine who lives and who dies. I don't give a flying rat's backside about the whole 'the system is corrupt' tosh or the 'it only serves the wealthy' bull I see written everywhere. We have lawyers to represent people to make a case irrespective of whether they deserve legal representation or not. The system we have used and will continue to use is superior to vigilantism as it relies on reason and not primal urges. Yeah, I completely agree that abuse should be punished but for Christ's sake, not through vigilante justice.

I'm going to take a lot of flak for this opinion but so what? I simply believe that murder is murder no matter how we dress it up: self defence, vengeance or 'I was ordered to do it, sir'. I believe in the system even though it has screwed my family over several times.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Vigilantism is just murder with a 'justified' name. Would we applaud an individual with no history who murders a sex offender or a child trafficker? Of course we wouldn't. No-one should be applauded for killing another person!

I have been physically and mentally assaulted by my stepdad for eight years but would I kill him? No way in hell. Not only would I not jeopardise my life to satisfy a momentary surge of adrenalin, I also wouldn't see the point in it. Surely then we're resorting to the same base actions as abusers or murderers? I've dreamed about killing him in the most brutal ways but never would I actually kill another human being to make myself feel better for the misery they've inflicted on me. In fact, I want to make him suffer by being a decent human being; when he sees me when I'm successful, I want him to feel guilty at the fact that I'm not going to let him off easy by simply killing him.That brings me onto something I read from a post above: making your own justice, a statement that truly terrifies me in a society governed by law.

Making your own form of justice perverts why we have courts, lawyers and statute books! We live in a society governed by the rule of law for a particular reason, as it is not up to us to determine who lives and who dies. I don't give a flying rat's backside about the whole 'the system is corrupt' tosh or the 'it only serves the wealthy' bull I see written everywhere. We have lawyers to represent people to make a case irrespective of whether they deserve legal representation or not. The system we have used and will continue to use is superior to vigilantism as it relies on reason and not primal urges. Yeah, I completely agree that abuse should be punished but for Christ's sake, not through vigilante justice.

I'm going to take a lot of flak for this opinion but so what? I simply believe that murder is murder no matter how we dress it up: self defence, vengeance or 'I was ordered to do it, sir'. I believe in the system even though it has screwed my family over several times.

I totally see where you're coming from. Though I think if it was desperate self defence, it wouldn't be that it's exactly okay, but it would make more sense. Like, if it was a serial murderer chasing you and your friends or something, it's better the murderer die than a whole group of innocent people.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
The law, however flawed it may be at times, exists for a purpose and to pervert it undermines everything it tries to stand for.

The desire for revenge, especially in these circumstances, is understandable but still not right. Like Cheez says, put the guy in prison and it's pretty much over with for him.

Having been in a position of being abused (in the past but happened when I was pregnant), the desire to see your abuser get their comeuppance can be overwhelming. Took me more than 2 years of intensive counselling to get over what happened to me. But now I'm in a place of peace. My abuser is dead but the counselling didn't happen until after he died, so it's not as if his death caused my peace. I was angry because he never answered for what he did.

It's a very hard situation to be in and I actually felt cheated because he died before I could get my revenge on him or take him to court over his actions. But in the long run, I believe it was best not to have my revenge. Because it would have satisfied a short term need with long term consequences. And that's hard to live with.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The thing with the law is, its judgment can be quite... questionable at times, to say the least. When one man gets 20 years in prison for downloading movies, while another who has raped a child and gets away with some stupid therapy, we know we have a problem. And that's when we call Arrow.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
No doubt the law can be messed up with it's priorities. In the UK there are often more people in prison for not paying their TV licence than robbery. To me, that's mental.

It is flawed, it can be wrong but it is still the best organised thing we have to ensure justice is done. Not perfect but ultimately better than 'eye for an eye' type justice.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
He was in the right. There is no question in my mind. I know that if someone touched my daughter, I would happily spend life in prison because the American prison system is ridiculous and flawed, and would be far too good for said person. I want to see the fear in his eyes that I'm sure would have been in my child's. Were my child old enough, I would let her do it in fact. There are crimes heinous enough that death is deserved, and the victim may only be at mental peace if they are sure of it themselves. Killing is only wrong to us because we are outsiders looking in, and have no idea what it's like. No one can ever be put in those exact shoes. Some people may experience similar ones, but every human is different, and every situation may be slightly different. We can't sit there and say if it was right or wrong with total certainty, we can only have opinions based on the knowledge we have. But the knowledge we have will never be facts. So if they victim feels it was justified and he's prepared to accept the consequences of his actions, then justice was served.

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
In my opinion, I would've been fine with the molester going to prison. Those kinds of people do not last long in prison. They are truly, some of the worst of the scum of the earth.

Really, we can all sit here and say what we believe but we truly don't know how we would react if we were in the man's position. We can speculate, but that's about it.

Top Bottom