• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Pros and Cons of the Live Action Films

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
My pros:
-There is a clear main character to follow in the form of Alice unlike the games where there are multiple people in this role.
-Good (as in not evil) characters in the narrative die unlike the game series. This makes the threats seem more serious. The game series are so afraid to do this that in the course of 9 main games, only 2 playable characters who were good have died.
-Carlos actually gets some love in this series, being the first male character from the games to be seen in the films and is tied with Wesker for making the most movie appearances out of all the game characters, unlike the game series where he makes one canon appearance and is then forgotten about unfortunately.
- The women (more specifically Alice) act as the more powerful and capable leads in the film franchise.

My cons
-The main game characters are shafted to the side, written completely different from their in game characterizations, and depowered in order to prop Alice and her skills which leads me to my next point,
-The game characters were only added for fanservice and honestly were not needed for this particular film franchise. The first movie (which is arguably the best one), shows this series would have been fine with original characters.
-Outside of Carlos, most of the game male characters are presented as less capable and important than the females and honestly I question why are they there. Look at Chris, Leon, and Barry in their appearances. They could have been randoms bc that's what they feel like.
-The action sequences, which this series thrives off of, are bad and have only got worse thanks to the addition of excessive slo mo.
-Alice is a boring and predictable lead. Her cycle is start movie alone, kick ass, meet up with a crew, kick more ass to save all their asses by doing the most unrealistic moves, take over as unofficial leader, kick even more ass, tell umbrella she's coming for them, end movie. Retribution did treat her differently though.
-Actors miscast for the game characters from looks to persona. Li BingBing (Ada) Ali Larter (Claire), Kevin Durand (Barry), Johann Urb (Leon), Oded Fehr (Carlos), Shawn Roberts (Wesker), Sienna Guillory (Jill) and Wentworth Miller (Chris) are all miscast in different ways. However I do give credit to Sienna (in the 2nd movie only) and Oded esp for giving their characters more personality. Also Ashanti would have made a good Sheva but two problems. Sheva didn't exist at the time and she played another character already.
-Too many plot holes and dropped arcs. Where is Angela? How did Chris and Claire disappear off the boat in the Retribution opening? What happened to the world being dead and extinct? How did Umbrella get Jill between Apocalypse and Afterlife?
-Using the characters signature battles and stunts for Alice. Outrunning a helicopter shooting at you and taking out guards, Claire or Alice? Taking on Ada in a close encounter battle with a knife, Leon or Alice? The main target of Nemesis and has bonded with the T-Virus, Jill or Alice? Main rival of Wesker, Chris or Alice? Why are they there (rhetorical question).
-Storyline is all over the place. It could be structured much better.
-Outside the characters and Resident Evil title, its nothing much about this movie series (outside the first two movies) that says Resident Evil imo.

Now I liked the first two movies but starting with Extinction imo the series has run beyond its course. Why does this series need so many movies I will never understand. However the cgi films aren't that much better tbh. They too have their pros and cons which I will share in another thread.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
The novelisations of the movies actually do a better job of giving the characters some depth. In the novel of Extinction, it explained that after Alice wakes up and escapes the Umbrella facility at the end of Apocalypse, she, Carlos, Jill and Angela go on the run. However, Umbrella used it's mind control tech (which I admit is far-fetched) to make Alice kill Angela, which is why she exiled herself.
Jill ended up somewhere in the Nevada outskirts I think, leading a survivor colony. I can't remember how she got captured, though. That hasn't been explained in any of the movie novels, to my knowledge.

Top Bottom